The Education Forum

Interview of me on TV and online on Thursday, June 11

Houston Media Source is sponsoring an interview with me about Watergate and the JFK assassination this Thursday, June 11, from 6:30 pm until 7:30 pm Central Time. It can be viewed in Houston on TV or online anywhere in the world. In Houston it can be seen on TV on Comcast 17, At&T U-verse 99, Phonoscope 75, TV Max 95 and Sudden Link 99. Below is a link to view it online.

I plan to discuss what Howard Hunt told me when we had a dinner in Washington in 1975 prior to his entering prison to serve his sentence handed down in Watergate by Judge Sirica. He disclosed at that time why the burglars went into Watergate and why JFK had to be assassinated.

Prior to Watergate Howard had been both a close friend and client. For legal reasons discussed in my Watergate Memoir found elsewhere in this forum, after Watergate broke I saw Howard on only three occasions: when he came to my residence in Washington on June 17, 1972, a short time after the arrests at Watergate to retain my legal services in the case, when I attended the funeral of his wife, Dorothy, after her mysterious death in a plane crash in Chicago in December 1972, and then at the dinner in 1975.

Link to view the program online live:

http://www.hmstv.org/HMSLive.aspx

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will be watching, Doug.

Larry:

Near the beginning of my Watergate Memoir I discussed how I met Howard Hunt. See the link below.

I also discussed this in a prior Houston Media Source program devoted to Watergate that aired May 7. It is my understanding that both the May 7 and upcoming June 11 program will soon be placed in the station's public affairs online archives so that they can be accessed for viewing in the future.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21500

I'm very interested in seeing this interview, Douglas. Please leave a link when it's archived somewhere.

how very interesting...

Houston Media Source is sponsoring an interview with me about Watergate and the JFK assassination this Thursday, June 11, from 6:30 pm until 7:30 pm Central Time. It can be viewed in Houston on TV or online anywhere in the world. In Houston it can be seen on TV on Comcast 17, At&T U-verse 99, Phonoscope 75, TV Max 95 and Sudden Link 99. Below is a link to view it online.

I plan to discuss what Howard Hunt told me when we had a dinner in Washington in 1975 prior to his entering prison to serve his sentence handed down in Watergate by Judge Sirica. He disclosed at that time why the burglars went into Watergate and why JFK had to be assassinated.

Prior to Watergate Howard had been both a close friend and client. For legal reasons discussed in my Watergate Memoir found elsewhere in this forum, after Watergate broke I saw Howard on only three occasions: when he came to my residence in Washington on June 17, 1972, a short time after the arrests at Watergate to retain my legal services in the case, when I attended the funeral of his wife, Dorothy, after her mysterious death in a plane crash in Chicago in December 1972, and then at the dinner in 1975.

Link to view the program online live:

http://www.hmstv.org/HMSLive.aspx

Doug:

I watched the entire show. It was very interesting, and I hope others on this forum will watch it too. John Simkin should be pleased with the recognition you gave him, and to this forum, in general--and thanks to those who have permitted its continued existence on the Internet.

When time permits, I will reply to you privately by email; meanwhile, here are some comments:

1. You ought to get a better picture of yourself for this forum. A frame grab from the TV show would be helpful. The photo posted here does not do you justice--at all. The TV image shows you as a senior citizen off the pages of Esquire magazine. My advice: get a better picture!

2. Until I watched this show, I really had no idea how you came to be involved with Howard Hunt or Billie Sol Estes. This show offers much clarification; and completely undercuts the notion that you were "just a CIA lawyer" (or some such thing). I wonder how many people understand the true story of how you came to be involved with Howard Hunt; and then later with Estes. (You sound like the legal equivalent of Forrest Gump of the 70s and 80s).

3. Until I watched this show, I had never heard about Howard Hunt's remarks to you as to "why" Kennedy was assassinated. I'm not saying I agree with him, but I'd never heard anything like that (i.e., the reason he offered). I'm sort of curious as to why his proffered "explanation" should be accepted. Was he just "theorizing" on his own? If not, how did he come by such, er, exotic information? (Because, if we don't have an answer to that question, then how can we evaluate his credibility on that particular issue?)

4. I believe I am the one who discovered NSAM 271 (dated 11/12/63)--many years ago--and sent it to someone connected with JFK's interest in the UFO issue. And then it made the rounds. Yes, I believe it to be a very important NSAM, spelling out to many top government officials Kennedy's (original) intent to cooperate with the Soviets in space and very likely in going to the moon--and making this very clear statement on November 12, 1963. Your interviewer--Ray Hill--is absolutely correct when he said that such a policy would have infuriated the Texas right wing; and it did. (I have documentary evidence about that, and pursued it at some length).

5. You made a passing reference to the Brooking Institute study on what the effect would be if it were revealed that there was an "alien presence" (as you so delicately put it). But what you did not do (and I don't know why not) is actually obtain a copy of the Brookings study. Some 20 years ago, I obtained a copy of that study; and what is remarkable about it is that here is President Kennedy--with only his thousand days to govern, and so many other weighty issues on his mind--actually requesting Brookings to do such a study. I am writing this from memory, but its my recollection that Kennedy actually requested that study. When that is joined with NSAM 271, it brings a whole new dimension to the fore, in discussing JFK's death. Kennedy was a very forward looking man with a huge "curiosity about everything" --my quotes. So it does not surprise me at all that he would order the Brookings study; and personally be involved in assessing the potential impact of an "alien presence." Also: it puts his decisions about Vietnam, Cuba, etc. in a new and different context. I'm sorry you didn't bring the Brookings study to your TV appearance, and actually show pages of it on camera. When it is joined to NSAM 271, it cast a new light (or shadow?) on Kennedy's assassination. I know that Doug Horne told me--based on his conversations with Dino Brugnioni--that Kennedy had an intense interest in the subject. Insofar as the assassination is concerned, the important question is not one's position on UFO's, but whether Kennedy believed it to be a significant issue, and whether that was used (by his detractors, such as Hunt) to "paint him in a false light" (to use the language of tort law) and to undermine his credibility. Again, the Brookings study would have been useful to join with NSAM 271.

6. In private email, I will tell you why I believe Corso is not credible--and is just a story-teller.

7. In private email, I will explain to you my own personal relationship with someone who was very high up in the SDI program--very high indeed--and why his behavior on the subject (in private, with me) supports the idea that something important is being kept secret.

8. The assertions about Lyndon Johnson at the beginning of the interview are not new, but are damning. The question I have--and which was not addressed--is why, after Asst AG Trott made the offer to Estes--that Estes did not follow up and permit himself to be interviewed in detail. It would appear that after all the sexy assertions, he backed down when it came time to "put up or shut up", and I wonder what you might have to say about that.

9. I'm curious to what the record shows--and what you might believe--on the subject of just when it was that President Kennedy and his brother became aware of the serious evidence that might be "out there" that linked LBJ to the murder of Henry Marshall, the supposed official who committed suicide by firing 5 (or more?) shots at himself with a bolt action rifle. (And what role that may have played in their coming to a private decision that "Lyndon had to go" (insofar as his being on the 1964 ticket was concerned).

All in all, a very interesting and provocative interview.

Doug: you have an important story to tell; and I wonder if you have considered getting it all down in manuscript form, and publishing a book about it. Your Houston TV appearance could be on DVD, tucked into the book's jacket. Just a suggestion.

DSL

6/15/15 - 10:45 a.m. PDT

Los Angeles, California

I've been making some notes of some questions and comments, but with difficulty. Davids lucid post makes it easier.

I really then only have one question.

Could 'alien presence' be a code word for something entirely terrestrial and an enemy to both capitalism and 'communism'?

I wonder how aware JFK and others were that the soviet revolution had degenerated very quickly post revolution into what some would call state capitalism (Stalins sicalism in one country as opposed to Trotskys permanent revolution leading quickly to a world where there is no capitalism at all) or a form of corporate fascism and the interlocutor to this global balance between capitalism and 'communism' was in fact 'true communism' which cuba, at that time, could be said to be and for some time into the future, with its internationalism, could be said to be further expressing that.

Fram that perspective there is an 'alien' operating outside of 'sanctioned' dogma.

What does alien presence mean?