The Education Forum

Army Security Agency Group

Stacey Brzovskis

I am looking to find information about the Army Security Agency group during the Vietnam War. My father, Robert E. Wall, Jr., was in this agency during his Active Duty Army years. He served with this agency in Vietnam for 2 tours. My father has been diagnosed as having Manic-Deptressive Disorder. He just sits around or sleeps and takes his medication. He just isn't the same Dad I had growing up. I am trying to find some way to get him to talk to someone about those 2 tours and even after Vietnam. He had missions that he could never talk about. I know some things have been declassified. Even if talking to me is not what he needs, maybe I can say something to him to get him to go to a Vietnam Veteran's Support Group. When I was growing up I would wake up almost once a week to my Dad screaming from his nightmares relating to the War. He has never talked to anyone about that time in the Army. He is only 54 years old. He is very patriotic and proud of his Military service as am I. I just want to try to help him. If you can help I would appreciate it. If you can't then any web sites that you know of relating to this would be very helpful.

I am looking to find information about the Army Security Agency group during the Vietnam War.  My father, Robert E. Wall, Jr., was in this agency during his Active Duty Army years.  He served with this agency in Vietnam for 2 tours.  My father has been diagnosed as having Manic-Deptressive Disorder.  He just sits around or sleeps and takes his medication.  He just isn't the same Dad I had growing up.  I am trying to find some way to get him to talk to someone about those 2 tours and even after Vietnam.  He had missions that he could never talk about.  I know some things have been declassified.  Even if talking to me is not what he needs, maybe I can say something to him to get him to go to a Vietnam Veteran's Support Group.  When I was growing up I would wake up almost once a week to my Dad screaming from his nightmares relating to the War.  He has never talked to anyone about that time in the Army.  He is only 54 years old.  He is very patriotic and proud of his Military service as am I.  I just want to try to help him.  If you can help I would appreciate it.  If you can't then any web sites that you know of relating to this would be very helpful.

Hi Stacey -

I wish I could help you, but since I was in a regular infantry unit in the Marine Corps, I don't know anything about the "Army Security Agency". May I suggest you contact the military records folks in St. Louis, Missouri? It's a government agency, and you can get at least some of your father's military records even without his permission (you can get the whole "package" with his permission). This would help you see what units he actually served with; in turn, that might help you find folks he was with (nearly all the sizable units have web sites and reunions these days) or get a better understanding of what he did and what he went through.

There are a variety of web sites out there. I'm presuming you've done a search on the Vietnam War or Vietnam Veterans. I don't spend a lot of time on the web looking at this, but if I come across something that looks interesting for you, I'll send it along. I haven't seen anything directly relevant yet.

I wish I could be of more help - please know that I am thinking about you and your dad.

Mike Toliver

[...]

I am looking to find information about the Army Security Agency group during the Vietnam War. My father, Robert E. Wall, Jr., was in this agency during his Active Duty Army years. He served with this agency in Vietnam for 2 tours. My father has been diagnosed as having Manic-Deptressive Disorder.

[...]

Stacey,

Not sure where you're located. I'm presuming you're in the US. Start here -- do a search on the web for the "VVA", that's: The Vietnam Veterans Association - nearly EVERY metro area in the US has a group, find the one *closest* to you -- drop a note to the group, explaining your Dad's plight [he's NOT alone, nor are you] or call -- in most cases a contact number is provided. They can provide you, referral/contact numbers.

If you have access to internet *newsgroups*, find your way to * alt.war.vietnam * (don't include the *stars*). Post exactly what you posted here, thousands of us Vietnam veterans visit the site daily. It takes a few hours for your thread to appear, check back regularly.

Do ****NOT**** provide names, addresses, phone numbers, etc in the thread you start at alt.vietnam.war.

Warning: the site is cluttered with current political nonsense at the moment, but when a request like yours appears, especially as a new thread, you'll be surprised at the response...

Take care and let us know how you make out. I hope this doesn't sound trite: I know you love your Dad, sometime these problems take years and years coming to the front, it's not you, your Dad or the family's fault - there's help out there, we're not ALL gone, yet!

Keep in touch here, I'll be following this...

Thanks for the note, JohnS...

David Healy

Edited by David G. Healy

I am looking to find information about the Army Security Agency group during the Vietnam War. My father, Robert E. Wall, Jr., was in this agency during his Active Duty Army years. He served with this agency in Vietnam for 2 tours.....

Stacey ,

The Army Security Agency was part of Military Intelligence. In the Texas Tech. Virtual Vietnam Archive, there are about 65 documents, books and other materials that relate to that agency. Some of these are copyrighted and not directly available online, yet many of the documents can be saved to disk as pdf files and you will need an Acrobat Reader to view them on your computer. (If your computer doesn't have this software already, the Acrobat Reader is available free from the www.adobe.com web site.) You will have to wade through a lot of junk in order to get some useful information concerning the mission of the A.S.A. in Vietnam. You may want to email the staff at the Texas Tex Archive and ask for the right to view copies of the copyrighted documents. If you explain a bit of your motivation, you will probably find them very willing to try to help you locate useful information.

Point your browser to: http://www.vietnam.ttu.edu/virtualarchive/index.htm

This is the Texas Tech Virtual Vietnam Archive.

To search the Virtual Vietnam Archive, click "Search the Virtual Vietnam Archive" in the left column.

Type Army Security Agency in the box labled “Keyword/ Item.” Select English as the “Language” and fill in any other blanks or boxes that you think may help to pin point the kind of document that you want concerning the “Army Security Agency.”

Click on the “Start Search” button on the left side menu.

When the search is finished, click on “View the Results”

Good luck with your search.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had no personal experience with ASA. Perhaps Colonel James "Bo" Gritz can either help you or steer you in the right direction. E-mail Bo at bogritz@msn.com

You might want to get his latest book "My Brother's Keeper." A real eye opener.

Just send a check for $24.95 to Judy Gritz, HC-37, P.O. Box 472, Sandy Valley, Neveda 89019 and ask for a signed book.

Take care and know that I pray that you learn more about what your Dad did in Vietnam.

Dangerous Dan