The Education Forum

Charles Donald Ford

With the release of the "Costume" Family Jewels, the documents re: Henry Kissinger quoting Richard Helms that among the real CIA Family Jewels are the records of the assassination plots against Castro that RFK managed.

This sirred up more of the Bobby ploted to kill Castro stories, and focused my attention on one guy - Charles Donald Ford.

While the newspapers, following the lead of the National Security Archives, made new news of Kissinger's statements, I found that Thomas Powers [in his book Intelligence Wars, American Secret History from Hitler To Al-Qaeda (NYRB 2004, p.229) and in his NYRB column of Nov. 30, 1997 "Marilyn Was the Least of It"), wrote:

"...According to notes obtained by (Black Slyde) Hersh,...Hersh also learned that in 1962, while the assassination efforts involving the Mafia hit men were still under way, Bobby Kennedy was assigned his own operaitonal officer in the CIA, a man named Charles Ford picked from the staff of Task Force W, then commanded by (William) Harvey. Ford's job was to handle contacts with Mafia chiefs while traveling under the pseudonym of Rocky Fiscalini, a name (along with Ford's own) that appears in Bobby Kennedy's office logs for 1962. But what Ford actually did for Kennedy remains unknown."

"Hersh provides no definitive history of the CIA's attempts to assassinate foreign leaders, a subject that is complex, factually dense, and spotted with missing pieces. But he has dug up numerous pieces of new information, many of them significant for any serious history even if they fall short of being sensational headline material. His account of the CIA's campaign makes clear what the CIA officers have been stressing for twenty years - that the driving force behind the all-out effort to get rid of Castro was the blast furnace of pressure form the Kennedy brothers."

"This is not shocking. The basic facts, if not all the details, ahve long been known by those who desire to know. But it is painful to read about assassination planning by the very man whose murder was probabl; the greatest single traumatic event in American history..."

Then in another NYRB review (The Black Arts,Feb. 4, 1999) Powers wrote (IW,p.373 - & not noted in the index):

"...The secrets at the heart of secrets are rarely confided to official paper or the appropriate files...One such surfaced recently when the Assassinations Records Review Board (ARRB) released a two-page 'Memorandum of Conversation' from the Gerald Ford Presidential Library recording some comments of Henry Kissinger on January 4, 1975, during a discussion of news sotires by Seymour Hersh claiming extensive wrongdoing by the CIA. According to Max Holland, who is writing a book about hte Warren Commission, Kissinger, then serving as both Ford's secretary of state and his national security advsor, had sought a blanket denial from the agency but had been informed by William Colby that some major secrets remain hidden. A former director, Richard Helms, was summoned back to Washington from his post as ambassador to Iran to fill in the details for Kissinger at a breakfast meeting dhortly before Kissinger met in the White House with President Ford and Brent Scowcroft, who was taking notes."

"'Helms said all these stories were the tip of the iceberg,' Kissinger said, as recorded by Scowcroft during the meeting with Ford. 'If they come out, blood will flow. For example, Robert Kennedy personally managed the operation on the assassination of Castro.'"

"The friends and defenders of the Kenendy brothers say it isn't so; but there it is on paper, written down in the heat of a government crisis, the words of a man in a position to know, recorded on the day, perhaps even within the very hour, they were uttered."

"Holland and Hersh, sill on the case, also learned recently the name of the CIA intelligence officer named to serve as liaison with the attorney general during the year in which he continually pressed the CIA for results in getting rid of Castro - a career intelligence officer, now dead, named Charles Ford."

"According to Ford's office-mate Sam Halpern [Also now dead], a CIA officer assigned to Task Force W in the agency's effort to get rid of Castro, Ford traveled hither and yon about the country on Robert Kennedy'ss business, but there public knowledge comes to an end."

"Hersh's book The Dark Side of Camelot, published in 1998, includes some additional ancillary detail. Whether still-classified CIA files can fill out the story of Ford's work for Bobby remains unknown but it's likely, ust as it is likely no one will be given free range of the files until many, many additional years have passed, f then....Does it matter whether we are permitted to haul up the last piece of paper to the light of day before letting it rest? There is no right answer, just personal prefeerence: some would rather know, and some would rather not."

It didn't take long to locate a half-dozen NARA JFK Riffs re: John D. Ford, a note no his passing from Princeton allumni notes and a death notice for his CIA-office mate, Sam Halpern [RIP March 7. 2005].

The Riffs make note of Ford's use of the alias Rocky (misspelled Siscalini) Fiscalini, the CIA documents that refer to Ford and his Mafia contacts, and the fact that there are additional records among the NARA JFK ARC under Ford's name in JFK-M-O3-(F6) Box 3.

The earliest RIFF refers to an OSS record from 1945 that includes Charles D. Ford among the OSS officers assigned to China, along with J. Walton Moore, who later became George DeMohrenschildt's CIA Domestic Contacts Divsion debriefer in Dallas.

The Princeton alumni notes his graduation from Princeton in 1948, his middle name was Donald, that he went by the name of Don, was born in Atlantic City, N.J. and attended high school there.

Which makes me wonder if he knew John Martino from the old hood, or Jessica Wilcox (aka Candy Jones, wife of Long John Nebel).

More to come on this,

Bill Kelly

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HERE'S THE DOCUMENTATION I GOT SO FAR. - BK

http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/11/30/revi....30powerst.html

http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/findi.../cia-files.html

http://www.nara.gov/...780/jfksnew.txt

HitTitleFromToDateFull ResultSelect1ARRB REQUEST: CIA-IR-13: OFFICE/PERSON DEALING WITH ORGANIZED CRIME AND CUBAARRBCIA/HRG04/16/1997 2COVER MEMORANDUM:SSC REQUEST/THE ATTACHED PACKAGE ON FORD-FISCALINITHE REVIEW STAFFCIA TASK FORCE:09/06/1975 3FILE ON FORD, CHARLES/RFK-MAFIA[No From][No To]01/01/0000 4MEMO: SENATE SELECT COMMITTEE REQUEST (CHARLES FORD)DIRECTOR OF SECURITYTHE REVIEW STAFF09/04/1975 5MEMORANDUM:INTERVIEW BY SENATE COMMITTEE INVESTIGATORSFORD,CHARLES D. OTRTHE RECORD09/19/1975 6MEMORANDUM:SENATE SELECT COMMITTE REQUEST (CHARLES FORD)GAMBINO, ROBT. DIRECTOR OF SECURITYTHE REVIEW STAFF09/04/1975 7OVERSEAS SECURITY APPROVAL [listING OF MEN LEAVING FOR KUNMING, CHINA, INCLUDING J. WALTON MOORE].FORD, CHARLES E., OSSSECURITY OFFICE, OSS04/18/1945

disliked each other. Hersh asserts that RFK used another CIA agent, Charles. Ford, as a direct contact with the mob in continuing to work on assassinations, ...

www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/0145-2096.00146 -

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : CIA

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10124-10342

RECORDS SERIES : JFK

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 80T01357A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : CIA

TO : SECURITY OFFICE, OSS

TITLE : OVERSEAS SECURITY APPROVAL [listING OF MEN LEAVING FOR

KUNMING, CHINA, INCLUDING J. WALTON MOORE].

DATE : 04/18/1945

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : CIA FILES; KUNMING, CHINA; MOORE, J. WALTO; TRAVEL

ORDERS

CLASSIFICATION :

RESTRICTIONS : 1A

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 04/22/1994

COMMENTS : JFK44 : F20 : 1994.04.22.09:35:01:500007 :

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10310-10196

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : CIA-DDP-FILES

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : THE REVIEW STAFF

TITLE : MEMORANDUM:SENATE SELECT COMMITTE REQUEST (CHARLES

FORD)

DATE : 09/04/1975

PAGES : 2

SUBJECTS : FISCALINI,CHARL; ford, charles

CLASSIFICATION : SECRET

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 11/16/1998

COMMENTS : JFK-M-07 : F1 : 1998.11.16.16:34:56:590120 : ARRB

REQUEST. CIA-IR-34.

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10310-10119

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : THE RECORD

TITLE : MEMORANDUM:INTERVIEW BY SENATE COMMITTEE INVESTIGATORS

DATE : 09/19/1975

PAGES : 8

SUBJECTS : ford, charles

CLASSIFICATION :

RESTRICTIONS : 1A

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 11/13/1998

COMMENTS : JFK-M-07 : F3 : 1998.11.13.14:33:39:653120 : INTERVIEW

FORM AND DISTRIBUTION LIST ARE ATTACHED.ARRB REQUEST.

CIA-IR-34.

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10310-10197

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : CIA TASK FORCE:

TITLE : COVER MEMORANDUM:SSC REQUEST/THE ATTACHED PACKAGE ON

FORD-FISCALINI

DATE : 09/06/1975

SUBJECTS : FISCALINI; ford, charles

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

COMMENTS : JFK-M-07 : F1 : 1998.11.16.16:37:18:780120 : ARRB

REQUEST. CIA-IR-34.

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10303-10001

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : CIA-OP

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : [No To]

TITLE : FILE ON FORD, CHARLES/RFK-MAFIA

DATE : 01/01/0000

PAGES : 10

SUBJECTS : ford, charles; SISCALINI,ROCKY; TESTIMONY

CLASSIFICATION :

RESTRICTIONS : 1B

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 09/18/1998

COMMENTS : JFK-M-03 : F6 : 1998.09.18.07:48:32:030120 : ARRB

REQUEST.CIA - IR 13. CORRECTED TO 10 PAGES VICE 20

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10310-10197

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

TO : CIA TASK FORCE:

TITLE : COVER MEMORANDUM:SSC REQUEST/THE ATTACHED PACKAGE ON

FORD-FISCALINI

DATE : 09/06/1975

SUBJECTS : FISCALINI; ford, charles

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

COMMENTS : JFK-M-07 : F1 : 1998.11.16.16:37:18:780120 : ARRB

REQUEST. CIA-IR-34

AGENCY INFORMATION

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10336-10012

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : PROJFILES-ARRB REQUESTS

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : ARRB

TO : CIA/HRG

TITLE : ARRB REQUEST: CIA-IR-13: OFFICE/PERSON DEALING WITH

ORGANIZED CRIME AND CUBA

DATE : 04/16/1997

PAGES : 19

SUBJECTS : ARRB REQUEST; FISCALINI; FORD CHARLES; JFK

ASSASSINATION; UNIT INDEX

CLASSIFICATION :

CURRENT STATUS : RELEASED WITH DELETIONS

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 01/13/2004

COMMENTS : JFK-M-20 : F13 : 20030731-973803 : UNIT INDEX

http://webscript.princeton.edu/~paw/memori...lay.php?id=5923

Princeton Alumni Weekly Memorials > Charles Donald Ford '43 DON DIED May 20, 1990, at the age of 69, following a four month bout with cancer. Born in Atlantic City, N.J., he graduated from the local high school and entered Princeton with the Class in 1939. While on campus, Don became a member of Campus Club, a member of the fencing team, and played trumpet both in the marching band and and with a group composed of students and "townies."

During WWII, Don, who had been studying Chinese, entered the Naval Intelligence Language School to take up Japanese before he completed his senior year. He later switched to Army Intelligence. After die war, he returned to Princeton and obtained his degree in 1948, in politics. Don's interest in military intelligence led him to a job with the C.I.A. as a civilian career. He served in the C.I.A. until 1976, when he retired to San Jose, Calif.

In 1948, he married Martha, who survives, as do a daughter, Kathleen; and a granddaughter, Christie. His college roommate of threeplus years, Dr. Jim Mason, remembers Don as a man who was an active, alive, takecharge type of person with a quick wit and wonderful sense of humor. To all his family, we offer our most sincere condolences.

The Class of 1943 PAW October 24th, 1990

© Princeton Alumni Weekly 1995-2007

THERE'S ALSO MENTION OF CHARLES DON FORD IN THIS ARTICLE BY OUR FRIENDS FROM THE MILLER CENTER - MAY AND ZELIKOW, WHICH I CAN'T ACCESS BUT IF ANYONE CAN, I'D APPRECIATE KNOWING WHAT IT SAYS. THANKS. BK

disliked each other. Hersh asserts that RFK used another CIA agent, Charles. Ford, as a direct contact with the mob in continuing to work on assassinations, ...

www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/0145-2096.00146 -

Edited by William Kelly

post-2590-1184021551_thumb.jpg

Bill,I had posted this last month in the thread on David Phillips:

Has anyone seen another document in which Phillips used the Don Barton pseudonym? What's interesting about the name is that a 1962 cable from JMWAVE has another CIA officer,Charles Ford,using the same "Don Barton" name to meet with an anti-Castro Cuban at the request of GPFOCUS,the cryptonym for RFK.The Church Committee seems to have had the idea that Ford was a link bewteen CIA and the Mafia in the assassination plots against Castro.

Bill,

He also used the alias Charles D. Fiscalina.

Technically he was with the Office of Training / Deputy Directorate for Admin.

Yes, he did know John Martino.

James

Thanks James,

So technically, he was in the same section of JM/WAVE as Bradley E. Ayers.

As for Martino, I'm not surprised CDFord knew Martino from Florida in JM/WAVE days, but I was wondering if CD Ford knew Martino from Atlantic City, where they both apparently grew up in the late 30s, and where Jessica Wilcox/Candy Jones also grew up.

Atlantic City 1930s is not New York City, but rather a small barrier Island where the tourist population of hundreds of thousands in the summer slips to a few thousand local residents in the winter. Most of the locals would know each other, some for generations, especially if they went to the local high school.

And was there a Allen Dulles - CD Ford connection at Princeton?

The idea that CD Ford knew J. W. Moore in 1945 is even more interesting to me, because it provides a link between DeMorn and DC in April of 1963, when a lot of things seem to be happening at the same time.

An obit of CD Ford would be informative.

What, no Mug Shots?

BK

Thanks to Greg Parker for coming up with this from Joan Mellen. -BK

From Joan Mellen's website:

I located a document from the CIA's own Secret History, in which the CIA's History Staff is interviewing a CIA officer named Sam Halpern. Halpern reveals his own incredulity that Bobby Kennedy should be working with the Mafia in attempts on the life of Castro at the very same time that he was trying to send other Mafia figures to jail. A CIA operative named Charley Ford, alias Charley Fiscalini, was assigned by Bobby Kennedy to make contact with Mafia types in this country and Canada for the purpose of murdering Castro.

To all this, Charley Ford testified under oath before the Church Committee. That Bobby Kennedy repeatedly attempted to enlist anti-Castro Cubans for these assassination attempts against Castro I learned first-hand from Isidro Borja, of the DRE. “I know Bobby Kennedy was behind it,” he told me indignantly, “because his people approached ME!” Borja told me Bobby's people did succeed in recruiting his good friend Rafael Quintero Ibaria, also known as “Chi Chi.”

From a review of Hersch's Dark Side of Camelot

According to notes obtained by Hersh, Harvey met on Jan. 25 with a C.I.A. scientist to discuss poisons for killing Fidel Castro, among others on the hit list. Hersh has also learned that in 1962, while the assassination efforts involving Mafia hit men were still under way, Bobby Kennedy was assigned his own operational officer in the C.I.A., a man named Charles Ford picked from the staff of Task Force W, then commanded by Bill Harvey. Ford's job was to handle contacts with Mafia chiefs while traveling under the pseudonym of Rocky Fiscalini, a name (along with Ford's own) that appears in Bobby Kennedy's office logs for 1962. But what Ford actually did for Kennedy remains unknown.

I have a gut feeling that C.D. Ford, as we learn more about him, will lead to where I want to go - the Dealey Plaza ringleaders. (Bill Kelly from another thread)

Bill,

I put this here as it relates directly to Charles Ford.

Your quote above I think is pretty much on the money. In late 1962, at the behest of Robert Kennedy, Ford was dispatched to interview a Cuban by the name of Ernesto Betancourt from the Ejercito Libertadore de Cuba.

Betancourt was planning some sabotage action in Cuba and even though Betancourt didn't officially have anything to do with the CIA, in fact he didn't trust them, Ford was told to check it out and to 'give him some attention'.

Present in the meeting with Betancourt was one Eduardo Perez aka Eddie Bayo who indeed was the major spokesman. It was only a few months later that Bayo led 'Operation Tilt' which was signed off by David Morales.

The information regarding Perez and Betancourt was in a report I read many years ago authored by Ford himself. Maybe a forum member with access to the various on-line document sites can locate it. (it's not the one Robin posted)

Also, one more curiosity, in 1965, the CIA received a print of the Zapruder Film from Time Inc. This copy was used by the Office of Training between 1965 and 1969. The man who took possession of the film for the CIA and who controlled its use was Charles D. Ford.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

Thanks to Greg Parker for coming up with this from Joan Mellen. -BK

From Joan Mellen's website:

I located a document from the CIA's own Secret History, in which the CIA's History Staff is interviewing a CIA officer named Sam Halpern. Halpern reveals his own incredulity that Bobby Kennedy should be working with the Mafia in attempts on the life of Castro at the very same time that he was trying to send other Mafia figures to jail. A CIA operative named Charley Ford, alias Charley Fiscalini, was assigned by Bobby Kennedy to make contact with Mafia types in this country and Canada for the purpose of murdering Castro.

To all this, Charley Ford testified under oath before the Church Committee. That Bobby Kennedy repeatedly attempted to enlist anti-Castro Cubans for these assassination attempts against Castro I learned first-hand from Isidro Borja, of the DRE. “I know Bobby Kennedy was behind it,” he told me indignantly, “because his people approached ME!” Borja told me Bobby's people did succeed in recruiting his good friend Rafael Quintero Ibaria, also known as “Chi Chi.”

Just to clarify, Bill... the part following was from a New York Times review.

From a review of Hersch's Dark Side of Camelot

According to notes obtained by Hersh, Harvey met on Jan. 25 with a C.I.A. scientist to discuss poisons for killing Fidel Castro, among others on the hit list. Hersh has also learned that in 1962, while the assassination efforts involving Mafia hit men were still under way, Bobby Kennedy was assigned his own operational officer in the C.I.A., a man named Charles Ford picked from the staff of Task Force W, then commanded by Bill Harvey. Ford's job was to handle contacts with Mafia chiefs while traveling under the pseudonym of Rocky Fiscalini, a name (along with Ford's own) that appears in Bobby Kennedy's office logs for 1962. But what Ford actually did for Kennedy remains unknown.

Edited by Greg Parker

interesting. Is "Bayo" Capt. Eduardo Perez Gonzalez? what were the names and nationalities of the nine men who went missing on "Bayo" raid? Are the men in the Ford report among the missing? Did LIFE publish the story at any time or was it covered in Cuban press or anywhere else? What did Billings or Spencer report after the fact? Martino, Billings and Spencer, Pawley bailed on the trip, who else opted out? Is the only official inquiry where raid is mentioned the Hall interview? HSCA? WC? Did HSCA investigators inquire this matter on either or both trips to Cuba? Does Baku raid figure in this? Someone might have the history handy-I'm a bit lost on this again. thanks

Hi Christy,

It's been awhile, how have you been?

Yes, Perez is Bayo. The names of the main 'Op Tilt guys were, Ernesto Duenas Soccoro, Rene Lomalru, Denys Regal, Tomas Vaquero, Eugenio Martinez, Luis Jimenez, Luis Cantin, Alfredo Mir, Francisco Hernandez and a few others whose names escape me for now.

Cantin and Mir ended up with Commandos L, Vaquero was killed inside Cuba during early 1964, and Hernandez may have been the Hernandez associating with Lee Oswald in the assassination lead-up.

These men were mostly Cuban with a few Americans thrown in for good measure - Rip Robertson, James Arthur Lewis, Mickey Kappes and James Seymour (not his real name).

Can't help you wth your other questions but the Agency was generating reports regarding Bayo well into 1964 where he was alive and doing battle with Castro's forces in the Oriente Province.

Rumor also has it that Bayo was seen in Miami in mid November of 1963.

FWIW.

James

Ford report

James,

Is this the report?

Thanks for those two reports Robin, one with the Don Barton alias and the other with his signature.

It appears from this report that RFK was, at the time, keen on economic sabatoge, which the SGA had approved.

If this report is typical of the type of missions RFK sent CD Ford, then there should be many more similar reports.

BK