The Education Forum

A Heritage of Stone by Jim Garrison

Hello All.I recently read A Heritage of Stone by Jim Garrison,2nd printing, 1972.In chapter 8, The Ides of November, pages 128-129 ,Garrison discusses Oswald's fellow employees at Reily Coffee Co.......Garrison goes on to say "in July,Alfred Claude,the man who hired Oswald went to work for the Chrysler Aerospace Division" which was located at the Aeronautics and Space Administration facility on the eastern edge of New Orleans....continuing on Garrison explains that within a few days of Claude's departure that Emmett Barbee,Oswald's immediate supervisor at Reily abandoned the coffee business and began a new career with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center in eastern New Orleans..... Garrison continues on by saying,"within a few weeks of these departures John D Branyon,who had worked with Oswald at Reily,left the coffee business and also found a new position at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center "......Garrison goes on to say"a few weeks after Oswald's departure,Dante Marachini left the Reily Coffee Co. and launched a new career with the Chrysler Aerospace Division at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center in eastern New Orleans."Oswald departed Reily on July 19,1963 and coincidently had started to work at Reily on the same day as Marachini,both started at Reily on May 10th claims Garrison.In regards to Marachini,Garrison states he was a friend of David Ferrie and frequently visited his Bourbon St. apartment....Later on in the chapter Garrison describes another of Ferrie's friends,James Lewallen who ,in another coincidence??, lived in the same apartment house as Marachini in the 1300 block of Dauphine St....You guessed it,Lewallen went to work at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center in eastern New Orleans,also....Garrison puts this time frame in context by saying that within a few weeks of Oswald leaving Reily 7/19/63 ,he is handing out the Cuban leaflets in New Orleans.... I'm curious if any other members can add anymore details to this strange series of coincidences that happened to Oswald's co-workers at Reily in the summer of 1963?

Hello All.I recently read A Heritage of Stone by Jim Garrison,2nd printing, 1972.In chapter 8, The Ides of November, pages 128-129 ,Garrison discusses Oswald's fellow employees at Reily Coffee Co.......Garrison goes on to say "in July,Alfred Claude,the man who hired Oswald went to work for the Chrysler Aerospace Division" which was located at the Aeronautics and Space Administration facility on the eastern edge of New Orleans....continuing on Garrison explains that within a few days of Claude's departure that Emmett Barbee,Oswald's immediate supervisor at Reily abandoned the coffee business and began a new career with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center in eastern New Orleans..... Garrison continues on by saying,"within a few weeks of these departures John D Branyon,who had worked with Oswald at Reily,left the coffee business and also found a new position at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center "......Garrison goes on to say"a few weeks after Oswald's departure,Dante Marachini left the Reily Coffee Co. and launched a new career with the Chrysler Aerospace Division at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center in eastern New Orleans."Oswald departed Reily on July 19,1963 and coincidently had started to work at Reily on the same day as Marachini,both started at Reily on May 10th claims Garrison.In regards to Marachini,Garrison states he was a friend of David Ferrie and frequently visited his Bourbon St. apartment....Later on in the chapter Garrison describes another of Ferrie's friends,James Lewallen who ,in another coincidence??, lived in the same apartment house as Marachini in the 1300 block of Dauphine St....You guessed it,Lewallen went to work at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration center in eastern New Orleans,also....Garrison puts this time frame in context by saying that within a few weeks of Oswald leaving Reily 7/19/63 ,he is handing out the Cuban leaflets in New Orleans.... I'm curious if any other members can add anymore details to this strange series of coincidences that happened to Oswald's co-workers at Reily in the summer of 1963?

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate on this one; I think Garrison may have gotten it wrong.

That whole time period (especially 1962-3) was a "boom time" for the aerospace industry, due to the expansion of the space program. In my neck of the woods, it was General Dynamics or Electric Boat; In Seattle, it was Boeing; In New Orleans, it was a series of aerospace companies located in the Michoud area. MANY men and women wanted work there: better jobs, jours, pay, prestige. I can see why a few workers at Reilly wanted jobs there. We can even add others to the list: Banister's friend Bill Nitschke got a job there. Even Oswald said he might find his pot of gold there. Garrison cites three people who knew Oswald and got jobs there, and suddenly it's part of the conspiracy.

Lewallen didn't work at Reilly and didn't know Oswald. He did know Marochini (correct spelling) and Ferrie.

Marochini's work records show that he applied for work at Chrysler long before Oswald started at Reilly. Marochini did NOT start at Reilly on the same day or at the same time as Oswald. In fact, he worked at a different location and said he never met Oswald. Marochini did NOT leave Reilly for Chrysler on the same day Oswald left Reilly, or anywhere near the same time.

I don't know where Garrison came up with such wrong information, or why he published it, or why he tries to make it sound like part of the conspiracy. This is one of the things that made me double check everything Garrison claimed.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate on this one; I think Garrison may have gotten it wrong.

That whole time period (especially 1962-3) was a "boom time" for the aerospace industry, due to the expansion of the space program. In my neck of the woods, it was General Dynamics or Electric Boat; In Seattle, it was Boeing; In New Orleans, it was a series of aerospace companies located in the Michoud area. MANY men and women wanted work there: better jobs, jours, pay, prestige. I can see why a few workers at Reilly wanted jobs there. We can even add others to the list: Banister's friend Bill Nitschke got a job there. Even Oswald said he might find his pot of gold there. Garrison cites three people who knew Oswald and got jobs there, and suddenly it's part of the conspiracy.

Lewallen didn't work at Reilly and didn't know Oswald. He did know Marochini (correct spelling) and Ferrie.

Marochini's work records show that he applied for work at Chrysler long before Oswald started at Reilly. Marochini did NOT start at Reilly on the same day or at the same time as Oswald. In fact, he worked at a different location and said he never met Oswald. Marochini did NOT leave Reilly for Chrysler on the same day Oswald left Reilly, or anywhere near the same time.

I don't know where Garrison came up with such wrong information, or why he published it, or why he tries to make it sound like part of the conspiracy. This is one of the things that made me double check everything Garrison claimed.

Yep!

Quite obviously, you must be one of them "Communists" or something!

After all, what kind of person actually checks and verifies information prior to either believing it or presenting it as if it had some basis in fact?

Exactly what would this world come to if everyone did as you have done?????

Tom

P.S. Watch out for the rocks which will soon be coming your way!

Yep!

Quite obviously, you must be one of them "Communists" or something!

After all, what kind of person actually checks and verifies information prior to either believing it or presenting it as if it had some basis in fact?

Exactly what would this world come to if everyone did as you have done?????

Tom

P.S. Watch out for the rocks which will soon be coming your way!

Thanks,Peter for the additional information.Coincidently,I just started another book,Government by Gunplay edited by Sid Blumenthal and Harvey Yazijian copyright 1976 First edition.The book is comprised of several articles related to the JFK assassination,the RFK assassination, the Vietnam war,the shooting of George Wallace,and Watergate.The list of contributors include; Robert Groden,Bob Katz,Allard Lowenstein,Jeff Cohen,William Turner,Sid Blumenthal ,Robert Fink,Peter Dale Scott,Carl Oglesby,Jeff Pollicoff, and L.Fletcher Prouty.Early in Government by Gunplay there is a section written by Bob Katz entitled "Who was Lee Harvey Oswald?".Katz also touches on the same NASA connection,pages 18 -19 by mentioning Alfred Claude,"Oswald's immediate supervisor"(without naming Emmett Barbee),John Branyon,and Dante Marachini moving on from the Reily Coffee Company to the Chrysler Aerospace Division at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration site in New Orleans.

Someone [can't remember who] did some research on what divisions and jobs they got at NASA.....they didn't become rocket-scientists, but security [sic] people......they already had the qulifications is my bet!!...they were all just being babysat and 'taken care of' at Reily...until needed for various jobs in their REAL profession. Many of the professional hit men and plumbers etc. are kept busy at construction jobs or other such innocuous places...but NOT just ANY place. The boss is also spook-connected/cleared...as was Mr. Reily. They may even do real work [construction, coffee grinding] while between real jobs......or they may, in some cases - one I know of in detail - only be 'working' on paper and doing nothing but waiting. It depends.

I think we have to agree to disagree on this, Peter. Given the lure of better jobs in a space program boom, with a bunch of NASA facilities in nearby Michoud, I'm not surprised that a few workers from Reily (and a few not from Reily) made the jump. I disagree with Garrison that this raises the suspicion that Reily was some type of way-station for sheep-dipping at NASA. Garrison's original point was that it somehow made Oswald's former co-workers unreachable, but in fact, the FBI and Secret Service interviewed most of them within a few days of the assassination. So what was accomplished?

As for Marochini, I DID obtain his records from Chrysler:

Before Reily, a sampling of his jobs:

Jan-Mar 61, Sales, American National Insurance

Apr-Aug 61, Sales, Jim Dandy Co. (shell homes)

Jan 62, "helper" (cutter of doors), Ipick Door Company

Feb-Apr 62, Asst Mgr, Comiskey Wine Bottling

October 3, 1962: Applied for position with CCSD Michoud ("production control, inventory, clerical, timekeeper, tool room clerk, maintenance clerk, etc.")

Nov 62-March 63, Sales Rep, Solari Co (a wine wholesaler)

At Reily:

3/19/63 - 6/10/63, Sales Rep, Standard Coffee Co. ("provide merchandise for customers and promote sales")

After Reily:

6/10/63 - 8/25/63, Wine and Liquor Steward, Arnaud's Restaurant

8/26/63 - 7/9/64, Shop Scheduler-Clerk, CCSD Michoud ("shop scheduler for metal fabrication")

7/10/64 - date unknown, Planning-Specifications, CCSD Michoud ("originate and maintain historical material specification records showing vehicle application and usages by individual part numbers...")

Doesn't sound very suspicious to me.

IMO you lack the ability to back-up and look at the larger picture [gestalt / patterns]. If you play the CiIA/FBI/Secret Govt. game of isolating / atomizing everything and not looking at the whole an 'innocent' explanation can be made for all......you are riight we disagree, but I don't agree to disagree. I think you are WRONG here...and this matter is important enough to decide the future of America and the planet. [Not Reiley, but the 'gestalt' of the conspiracy and cover-up'].

What I was addressing here was not the big picture about New Orleans; just one area of suspicion where I don't think the suspicion is warranted. That's one of the purposes of such a study, to separate truly suspicious things from those which are not really suspicious. Look at Marochini's work background. Does it support the notion that Reily was a Secret Government holding pen? Also note that the idea that Marochini started at and left Reily on the same days as Oswald is wrong. We need to get these things RIGHT. Other will not take us seriously unless we do.

I'm not playing any CIA-FBI game. I'm looking for what is true. I'm not looking for innocent explanations; I'm looking to see if these things are really suspicious.

Looking at the big picture does not mean ignoring mistakes, or avoiding the process of sorting out confusion. The big picture is made up of many component parts, and we owe it to ourselves, to America, to history to try to get them right.