The Education Forum

Jim Hougan: Secret Agenda

John Simkin

Jim Hougan has recently joined the forum and is willing to answer questions about his thought-provoking book on Watergate, Secret Agenda.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0394514...ce&n=266239

Congratulations to John Simkin and Andy Walker on netting another big literary fish to join the the distinguished school of John Newman, Josiah Thompson, David Lifton and Peter Dale Scott, among the most illustrious authors who have been attracted to the Education Forum.

I first read SECRET AGENDA and SPOOKS back in the late 80's, and decided that Jim Hougan is one guy I would really like to chat with over a beer or two. After finishing SECRET AGENDA I felt I had the equivalent of a Master's Degree in the shadow world of espionage and deception.

In the intervening years I more or less forgot about Watergate and Jim Hougan, until a mysterious character named ASHTON GREY made his appearance on this forum arguing stuff like the following:

Howard Hunt did NOT forge a single cable in the Diem assassination matter. It never happened, according to Mr. Grey.

There was no first break-in at the DNC, or some such.

Dr. Malcolm Perry (the surgeon who tried his very best -- in an attempt that was hopeless to begin with -- to save JFK's life) was part of a conspiracy to murder the president of the United States.

Mr. Grey exited the forum around the time of new revelations concerning the (now admitted) involvement of the aforementioned Howard Hunt in the assassination of JFK.

Mr. Hougan: It is an honor to finally meet you. Would you care to share your current thoughts on the late Howard Hunt, especially in light of these recent revelations?

BTW COOL WEBSITE: http://www.jimhougan.com/ I just discovered you also write thrillers, and I intend to get get my hands on one this very day. As they say in your native village of Brooklyn, FUGGEDDABOUTIT!

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Jim-- Great to have you on the forum, and it should be said that your footnotes are among the best I have ever read. They keep curiosity alive!

Your book aint half bad either! In fact I have been recommending Secret Agenda to middle Aged social studies for some time now. It seems so much more relevent to rethink Watergate in comparision with what the current organisms have gotten away with. It might not by a symetrical comparison, but the best ones often are not.

1. First, I assume you have read Secret Coup. What was your initital reation? What did you make of their emphasis on a possible Haig-Woodward relationship?

2. I am wondering what you make of the rehab of John Dean into an Air America type liberal ? Or if you have no thoughts on that one, let me get more specific. I heard Dean on Randi Rhodes show and the Rhodes characterized Silent Coup (without even mentioning it by name, but rather refering to it as if it was a scurrilous FOX newsish defense of disgraced Republican) as a Republican rewrite of history meant to distort the record of Nixon? This struck me as a simplisitic dismissal, but I am wondering if you see the book as in any way a rightist defense of Nixon? It seemed to me that your book seemed to raise the possibility that the hit on Nixon came from the Right, and am not sure that Silent Coup is all that different. I must say that I have only read half of Silent Coup.. but anyway am much more interested in your thoughts on it.

3. Also I was very intrigued by a footnote you wrote on page 53..

.. In 1965 a firm called Psychological Assessment Associates Inc., was established with headquarters in Washington D.C.

Founded by two retired CIA psychologists, the firm's mains source of funding was the CIA. See Laurence Stern, "Behind

Psychological Assessment's Door, a CIA Operation," Washington Post, June 21, 1974, p A3. (footnote 22, Chapter 3,

Secret Agenda, p. 53 by Jim Hougan)

Also I am wondering if there may have been 2 Laurence Sterns who worked at the Post on Intelligence because I noticed that sometimes the name was spelled Lawrence and other times Laurence.

I went up to the research libery in NYPL to look for this article. I found lots of other articles by Larry Stern but this one was nowhere in sight. Their Stern articles seem to end with one about Wounded Knee in 1973 and then the obit in 79. Are you aware the Forum member and former stern Colleague at the Post has written here of his suspicion that Stern may have been killed by the CIA? (see Sterling Seagrave's posts)

Do you currently have access to this 1974 article? Anyway of posting it or perhaps giving an overview? Thanks.

By the way you might want to check the Lawrence Stern thread. I have posted some old articles of his that you have probably already seen. I am going to post more, including one very interesting one about the kennedy's raising questions about the tax exempt status of the American Enterprise Inststitute. As you know this has become an increasingly influencial media kennel for hounds fed by the oil and arms industires and in favor of US unilatteral militarism.

STERN THREAD

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...art=#entry98131

Edited by Nathaniel Heidenheimer

• 3 months later...

.. In 1965 a firm called Psychological Assessment Associates Inc., was established with headquarters in Washington D.C.

Founded by two retired CIA psychologists, the firm's mains source of funding was the CIA. See Laurence Stern, "Behind

Psychological Assessment's Door, a CIA Operation," Washington Post, June 21, 1974, p A3. (footnote 22, Chapter 3,

--------

Ummmm So I guess this article by the Larry Stern has gone off to Where the Woodbine Twineth!

• 10 months later...
Guest Tom Scully

--------

Ummmm So I guess this article by the Larry Stern has gone off to Where the Woodbine Twineth!

Nathaniel,

It may only be a coincidence, but between June 18 and 24, 1974, there were 168 articles in these google news search results,

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=ell...341597755932673

..on the topic of Colson's sentencing for his role in the 1971 burglarizing of Ellsberg's psychiatrist's office for the purpose of using information in Ellsberg's psychiatric patient file, against him to aid in discrediting him.

And notice the term used in related reporting, six months earlier:

http://www.google.com/archivesearch?q=cols...cal++assessment

Excerpts From Panel's Evidence on White House Surveilance; …

New York Times - Jul 19, 1974

Hunt suggested a .,[;A. - psychological assessment/ on * Ellsberg. Colson has testified.;*t > he forwarded Hunt's memorandum to t Krogh. ...

All 8 related - Related web pages

Investigators Think Plumbers Had Political Aim .

St. Petersburg Times - Google News Archive - Dec 13, 1973

He repeatedly told Colson in late July and early August "of his concerns that the ... had requested and received a psychological assessment of Ellsberg. ...

Edited by Tom Scully

Hougan on Carleton S. Coon:

Here is the home page quote from Jim Hougan's website about Carleton S. Coon, a Major in the O.S.S., part of Uliuss L. Amoss' ISI in Baltimore, and a suspect the assassination of Admiral Darlain, I think it was. Major Carleton S. Coon was the live and kicking paradigm for Indiana Jones and a staunch master race Eugenicist just like Wickliffe Draper as well. Draper, Coon and myself were all Harvard graduates so I should know whereof I speak. I consider the identification of Carleton S. Coon as the paradigm for the cinema character "Indiana Jones" as one of my Top Ten Discoveries in the entire JFK case. More on this later. Coon as a matter of fact, INVENTED Murder, Inc. in the 1950's which was referred to by President Lyndon B. Johnson in referring to the CIA plots to overthrow left leaning Banana Republic leadership deemed to be inimical to the interests of the US, i.e. inimical to the interests of United Fruit, AMSTAR Sugar, later Domino Sugar, and Chiquita Bananas. Notice now that he is also calling Coon, the "real-life Indiana Jones", confirming my own personal assessment and my own intuition, analysis and perspicacity.

Here is the quote from Hougan:

Parapolitics is a serious business even, or especially, when it's fiction. Still, there's no reason not to have fun with it. In The Magdalen Cipher, for example, our hero discovers that the CIA is itself just a cover, a kind of Matrioshka doll that conceals within itself a series of smaller dolls, or secrets, each of which is darker and more dangerous than its predecessor.

It's an interesting idea, you'll agree, but is there any reason to think it might be true? Well, yeah. Here's what OSS officer Carleton Coon had to say in an after-action report, code-named "The Invisible Empire," written to "Wild Bill" Donovan at the end of the Second World War.

(Coon was a Harvard anthropologist turned spook, the real-life "Indiana Jones." And Donovan, of course, was the Wall Street spy who founded the Office of Special Services, America's first foreign intelligence agency - unless you count the work of The ROOM.)

(S)ome other power, some third class of individuals aside from the leaders and the scholars must exist, and this thrd class must have the task of thwarting mistakes, and nipping the causes of potential disturbances in the bud. There must a body of men whose task it is to throw out the rotten apples as soon as the first spots of decay appear...

A body of this nature must exist undercover. It must either be a power unto itself, or be given the broadest discretionary powers by the highest human authorities....

BRAINWASHING and PAA, Inc.

Jim-- Great to have you on the forum, and it should be said that your footnotes are among the best I have ever read. They keep curiosity alive!

Do you currently have access to this 1974 article? Anyway of posting it or perhaps giving an overview? Thanks.

STERN THREAD

I just purchased the article in question today from this publicly available Washington Post article archive web site link:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost...A+CIA+Operation

Notes and verbatim quotes:

Walter P. Pasternak is the current the operating head of Psychological Assessments Incorporated in 1965 funded by the CIA

(Any relation to Boris Pasternak, the Rooskie?)

Retiring President in 1974 is John Gittinger (Most likely the brother of Ted Gittinger, the suspected CIA apologist on alt.conspiracy.jfk)

Colson had asked the office of the Watergate special prosecutor "documents or records concerning the psychological profile

of Dr. Ellsberg compiled by PAA, Inc. for the CIA

Gittinger accused Colson of lying about the role of PAA Inc. in the Ellsberg case with Dr. Lewis Fielding

Gittinger admitted they have conducted training programs for CIA operatives abroad and performed psychological evaluations for overseas employees of American firms with foreign based offices or subsidiaries

It covers the study of brainwashing techniques by foreign intelligence organizations that was carried out by a New York based predecessor organization to PAA called The Human Ecology Fund. (Editor's Note: THIS FUND WAS SPONSORED BY WICKLIFFE DRAPER AND HIS FRIENDS AT THE AMERICAN EUGENICS SOCIETY)

It also provides training to CIA employees for assessing the credibility of foreign intelligence informants. Its a question of trying to understand whether someone is lying or telling the truth when he comes through the door and says he wants to give you information, Gittinger

explained.

The beginning of the psychological assessment program Gittinger related goes back to the early 1950s when former CIA Director Allen W. Dulles sought neurological treatment for his son Allen M. Dulles, who was seriously injured in Korea from a New York neurologist, Dr. Harold G. Wolfe

Dulles became interested in Wolfe's research into Chinese indoctrination of captured American pilots during the Korean war. CIA began financing the research work through first the Society for the Investigation of Human Ecology, with which Wolfe was associated, and then the Human Ecology Fund, according to Gittinger. (SEE: BRAINWASHING BY EDWARD HUNTER FROM REGNERY PRESS)

Both operated a private research organization with headquarters in New York and with branches overseas.

"This whole project was Allen Dulles' baby", Gittinger explained It grew out of his son's injury in Korea.

Because of the growing controversy over CIA financing of private organizations in the mid-1960's the Human Ecology Fund was abandoned. The controversy was touched off by disclosure that the agency was funding activities of US based student, labor, journalistic, and cultural organziations.

The Human Ecology Fund was spared public mention during the furor over clandestine CIA financing. It folded quietly after Gittinger moved to Washington to start PAA Inc.

Current programs by PAA said Gitt are strongly pointed toward Soviet, Chinese and Arab cultural training. He declined to discuss the specific nature of

the programs or whether PAA carried out such programs for foreign intelligence or security organziations.

The commercial side of PAA's activities screening foreign employees of American firms, has shrunk in recent years, making the company almost wholly dependent on its CIA contracts.

He emphasized that the company has never taken a government of private contract which involved the assessment of an American citizen. "We do absolutely no domestic advising", Gittinger said, "We have never been asked to evaluate an American."

Gittinger and the two other ex-CIA founders of PAA Robert E.Goodnow and Samuel B. Lyerly have ended their active association with the company. It was understood that the new operating group is seeking to divest itself of the CIA financial sponsorship.

I am very proud of what I have done for the agency over a long period of time in the assessments field, said Gitt. There is nothing I am ashamed of, nothing I have to hide.

End of article.

HUMAN ECOLOGY FUND NameBase Links

Gee, Maj. Carleton S. Coon, The Search for the Manchurian Candidate, Mind Control, Brainwashing and Wickliffe Draper styled Eugenics

and Human Ecology plus John Marks and Jim Hougan all rolled into one? What a parlay this is. Stick a fork in it. It is done.

"Duhhhh.... But what does that all have to do with the assassination of JFK", he asked with a decidedly quizzical and stupefied look on his face.

Connect the dots, dude. Just connect the dots.

Andrew,J. Power to Destroy. 2002 (107)

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (54-5, 58)

CounterSpy 1980-SP (46)

Hougan,J. Secret Agenda. 1984 (53)

Lee,M. Shlain,B. Acid Dreams. 1985 (20, 197)

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (133, 137, 147-63, 167-8)

New Times Magazine (U.S.) 1978-10-30 (14)

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

San Francisco Bay Guardian 1975-12-26 (9)

Simpson,C. Science of Coercion. 1996 (72)

Thomas,G. Journey Into Madness. 1990 (240-1)

Washington Post Magazine 1985-05-12 (13)

pages cited this search: 36

Order hard copy of these pages

Show a social network diagram for this name

The names below are mentioned on the listed pages with the name

HUMAN ECOLOGY FUND

Click on a name for a new proximity search:

ALDRICH STEPHEN L

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (55)

ANACAPA SCIENCES INC

BACK KURT

BANK CREDIT COMMERCE INTERNATIONAL

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (54)

BARNES TRACY

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

BERLE ADOLF A JR

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (156)

BIDERMAN ALBERT D

BOLTON EARL CLINTON

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

BOWER ROBERT

BROWN J.FREDERICK FOUNDATION

BROWN UNIVERSITY

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

BUREAU APPLIED SOCIAL RESEARCH

BUREAU SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH

CAMERON DONALD EWEN

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (133 137)

CANNON MARTIN

CANTRIL HADLEY

CARMICHAEL LEONARD

CENTER INTERNATIONAL STUDIES

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY

COMMITTEE CORRESPONDENCE

CORNELL UNIVERSITY

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (54-55)

CRAWFORD ELISABETH (BSSR)

CROWLEY ALEISTER

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (58)

DEARBORN FOUNDATION

DELGADO JOSE M.R.

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

EVANS WAYNE (AIEM)

FALSE MEMORY SYNDROME FOUNDATION

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (54 58)

FINK RAY

FREE LLOYD

GESCHICKTER FUND

Lee,M. Shlain,B. Acid Dreams. 1985 (20)

GITTINGER JOHN W

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (167-168)

Thomas,G. Journey Into Madness. 1990 (240-241)

GLOCK CHARLES YOUNG

GOTTLIEB SIDNEY

Thomas,G. Journey Into Madness. 1990 (240-241)

GOTTSCHALK LOUIS

HAGEN ROGER E

HARMON WILLIS

Lee,M. Shlain,B. Acid Dreams. 1985 (197)

HARPER WALTER R

HARRIS DOUGLAS (ANACAPA)

HARVARD UNIVERSITY

HEARST PATRICIA

HEBB DONALD O

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (137)

HINKLE LAWRENCE

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (154-156)

HINSEY JOSEPH

HOCH PAUL H

HOWLETT JAMES B

HUDSON INSTITUTE

HUNT E HOWARD

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

HYDE ROBERT

INSTITUTE INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL RESEARCH

JACOBS JOHN (S.F.EXAMINER)

JONES JAMES WARREN

KAHN HERMAN

KEENEY BARNABY CONRAD

CounterSpy 1980-SP (46)

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

KELLY GEORGE ALEXANDER

KINNEY JACK A

KIRKPATRICK LYMAN BICKFORD JR

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

LAND EDWIN H

LAVILLE HELEN

LIFTON ROBERT JAY

MACY FOUNDATION

MACY JOSIAH

MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE TECHNOLOGY

MCGLOTHLIN WILLIAM H

MONROE JAMES

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (155)

MORRISON ROBERT (ROCKEFELLER FNDN)

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (133)

NATIONAL ENDOWMENT HUMANITIES

OKSENBERG MICHEL

Penthouse 1979-10 (74)

ORDER SOLAR TEMPLE

ORNE MARTIN T

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (54-55 58)

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (161)

OSGOOD CHARLES (PROF)

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (158)

PASTERNAK WALTER

Thomas,G. Journey Into Madness. 1990 (240)

PATMAN WRIGHT (D-TX)

PRINCETON UNIVERSITY

PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT ASSOCIATES

Thomas,G. Journey Into Madness. 1990 (241)

RAND CORPORATION

REITERMAN TIM

RINKEL MAX

RIPLEY SIDNEY DILLON

ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION

ROGERS CARL (PSYCHOLOGIST)

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (156-157)

ROWEN HENRY S

RUSSIAN RESEARCH CENTER

SAUNDERS DAVID

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (168)

SCHLESINGER JAMES RODNEY

SCIENTIFIC ENGINEERING INSTITUTE

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (161)

SINAIKO H WALLACE

SINGER MARGARET THALER

SKINNER B F

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (160)

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION

SOCIETY INVESTIGATION HUMAN ECOLOGY

SWEARER HOWARD R

UNITED STATES INFORMATION AGENCY

UNIVERSITY PENNSYLVANIA

Constantine,A. Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. 1995 (54-55)

UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINA

WAYNE IVOR

WEST LOUIS JOLYON

WHITEHORN JOHN (JOHNS HOPKINS UNIV)

WIENER ANTHONY J

WOLFF HAROLD

Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (147-151 156)

Thomas,G. Journey Into Madness. 1990 (241)

HUMAN ECOLOGY FUND

pages searched: 36

These names share the indicated number of pages with the above name. Click on a name below for a standard name search:

WOLFF HAROLD 7 GITTINGER JOHN W 5 KEENEY BARNABY CONRAD 4 ORNE MARTIN T 4 CAMERON DONALD EWEN 3 HINKLE LAWRENCE 3 PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT ASSOCIATES 3 ROGERS CARL (PSYCHOLOGIST) 3 CARMICHAEL LEONARD 2 CORNELL UNIVERSITY 2 FALSE MEMORY SYNDROME FOUNDATION 2 GESCHICKTER FUND 2 GOTTLIEB SIDNEY 2 HUNT E HOWARD 2 MACY JOSIAH 2 RAND CORPORATION 2 SCIENTIFIC ENGINEERING INSTITUTE 2 SKINNER B F 2 UNIVERSITY PENNSYLVANIA 2 ALDRICH STEPHEN L 1 ANACAPA SCIENCES INC 1 BACK KURT 1 BANK CREDIT COMMERCE INTERNATIONAL 1 BARNES TRACY 1 BERLE ADOLF A JR 1 BIDERMAN ALBERT D 1 BOLTON EARL CLINTON 1 BOWER ROBERT 1 BROWN J.FREDERICK FOUNDATION 1 BROWN UNIVERSITY 1 BUREAU APPLIED SOCIAL RESEARCH 1 BUREAU SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH 1 CANNON MARTIN 1 CANTRIL HADLEY 1 CENTER INTERNATIONAL STUDIES 1 COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY 1 COMMITTEE CORRESPONDENCE 1 CRAWFORD ELISABETH (BSSR) 1 CROWLEY ALEISTER 1 DEARBORN FOUNDATION 1 DELGADO JOSE M.R. 1 EVANS WAYNE (AIEM) 1 FINK RAY 1 FREE LLOYD 1 GLOCK CHARLES YOUNG 1 GOTTSCHALK LOUIS 1 HAGEN ROGER E 1 HARMON WILLIS 1 HARPER WALTER R 1 HARRIS DOUGLAS (ANACAPA) 1 HARVARD UNIVERSITY 1 HEARST PATRICIA 1 HEBB DONALD O 1 HINSEY JOSEPH 1 HOCH PAUL H 1 HOWLETT JAMES B 1 HUDSON INSTITUTE 1 HYDE ROBERT 1 INSTITUTE INTERNATIONAL SOCIAL RESEARCH 1 JACOBS JOHN (S.F.EXAMINER) 1 JONES JAMES WARREN 1 KAHN HERMAN 1 KELLY GEORGE ALEXANDER 1 KINNEY JACK A 1 KIRKPATRICK LYMAN BICKFORD JR 1 LAND EDWIN H 1 LAVILLE HELEN 1 LIFTON ROBERT JAY 1 MACY FOUNDATION 1 MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE TECHNOLOGY 1 MCGLOTHLIN WILLIAM H 1 MONROE JAMES 1 MORRISON ROBERT (ROCKEFELLER FNDN) 1 NATIONAL ENDOWMENT HUMANITIES 1 OKSENBERG MICHEL 1 ORDER SOLAR TEMPLE 1 OSGOOD CHARLES (PROF) 1 PASTERNAK WALTER 1 PATMAN WRIGHT (D-TX) 1 PRINCETON UNIVERSITY 1 REITERMAN TIM 1 RINKEL MAX 1 RIPLEY SIDNEY DILLON 1 ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION 1 ROWEN HENRY S 1 RUSSIAN RESEARCH CENTER 1 SAUNDERS DAVID 1 SCHLESINGER JAMES RODNEY 1 SINAIKO H WALLACE 1 SINGER MARGARET THALER 1 SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION 1 SOCIETY INVESTIGATION HUMAN ECOLOGY 1 SWEARER HOWARD R 1 UNITED STATES INFORMATION AGENCY 1 UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINA 1 WAYNE IVOR 1 WEST LOUIS JOLYON 1 WHITEHORN JOHN (JOHNS HOPKINS UNIV) 1 WIENER ANTHONY J 1

DR. HAROLD WOLFF AND MIND CONTROL

Human Ecology of Memory

For example, there are Colleges of Human Ecology at Cornell University and the ... the Society for Human Ecology was established in 1955 by Harold Wolff and ...

socrates.berkeley.edu/~kihlstrm/mnemosyne.htm - Cached - Similar

Harold Wolff

WOLFF HAROLD. Click on a name for a new proximity search: ... HUMAN ECOLOGY FUND · Marks,J. The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. 1980 (147-151 156) ...

www.namebase.org/main2/Harold-Wolff.html

The Search for the Manchurian Candidate - Chapter 9

Calling this field "human ecology," Wolff drew into it the disciplines of .... Even the CIA men soon found that Harold Wolff was not to be trifled with. ...

www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/LSD/marks9.htm - Cached

STUDIES IN HUMAN ECOLOGY: Factors Relevant to the Occurrence of ...

D., , and HAROLD G. WOLFF M. D.1. 1 The Study Program in Human Health and the Ecology of Man of the Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry, ...

ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/114/3/212 - Similar

by LE HINKLE JR - 1957 - Cited by 6 - Related articles - All 2 versions

CIA and Behavior Control Research

In an interview, Rogers told how he became involved with Human Ecology: "James Monroe came to me and told me that Dr. Harold Wolff, a neuropsychiatrist whom ...

www.cia-on-campus.org/social/behavior.html - Similar

American torture: from the Cold War to Abu Ghraib and beyond - Google Books Result

by Michael Otterman - 2007 - History - 285 pages

Cameron sent his grant application to 'The Society for the Investigation of Human Ecology', a CIA front headed by Cornell's Harold Wolff. ...

books.google.com/books?isbn=0522853331...

The Search for the Manchurian Candidate - Chapter 9

9. Human Ecology. Well before Harold Wolff and Lawrence Hinkle finished their brainwashing study for Allen Dulles in 1956, Wolff was trying to expand his ...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/manchurian/marks9.htm - Cached

[PDF] MEDICAL CENTER ARCHIVES OF NEWYORK-PRESBYTERIAN/WEILL CORNELL 1300 ...

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

Society for the Investigation of Human Ecology: Annual Reports, ..... Human Gastric Function (3) - Stewart Wolf and. Harold Wolff Social Science in Medicine ...

www.med.cornell.edu/archives/pdf/personal_aids/Wolff.pdf

Cornell Cyber Expert Husband slashes thoat of Biomedical wife ...

Jun 5, 2009 ... 1955: Harold Wolff taught psychiatry in Cornell University's Medical College when ... of Human Ecology, later called the Human Ecology Fund. ...

forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=109559.5;wap2 - Cached

[PDF] Buying a piece of anthropology

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML

Human Ecology, China, Hungary and elsewhere. China held a keen interest for Harold Wolff and the. Society for the Investigation of Human Ecology. The CIA ...

homepages.stmartin.edu/fac_staff/dprice/Price-AT-HEF1.pdf

ROBERT E. GOODNOW

PHYSIOLOGICAL PERFORMANCE FOLLOWING A HYPNOTIC DOSE OF A ...

Robert E. Goodnow 1, Henry K. Beecher 1, Mary A. B. Brazier 1, Frederick Mosteller 1, and Renato Tagiuri 1. 1 Anesthesia Laboratory of the Harvard Medical ...

jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/102/1/55 - Similar

by RE Goodnow - 1951 - Cited by 29 - Related articles

Table of Contents — May 1951, 102 (1) — JPET

Abstract · Full Text (PDF). Select this article. Robert E. Goodnow,; Henry K. Beecher,; Mary A. B. Brazier,; Frederick Mosteller,; and Renato Tagiuri ...

jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/102/1.toc

Show more results from jpet.aspetjournals.org

Error without trial: psychological research on antisemitism - Google Books Result

by Werner Bergmann - 1988 - Social Science - 546 pages

ROBERT E. GOODNOW and RENATO TAGIURI Religious Ethnocentrism and its Recognition among Adolescent Boys* A great deal of research has been done on the ...

books.google.com/books?isbn=3110107759...

Robert Goodnow - Email, Address, Phone number, everything ...

Select the name you are looking for, and get instant access to background reports, criminal records, property ownership and more. Robert E Goodnow ...

www.123people.com/s/robert+goodnow

Course description

Robert E. Goodnow - Renato Tagiuri: Religious Ethnocentrism and Its Recognition Among Adolescent Boys. In: W. Bergmann (Ed.): Error without Trial. ...

web.ceu.hu/crc/Syllabi/98-99/NATI/NATI5040.html - Cached - Similar

A study of thinking - Google Books Result

by Jerome Seymour Bruner, Jacqueline J. Goodnow ... - 1986 - Psychology - 330 pages

A doctoral research in the following year had much the same energizing effect on our efforts, the work of Dr. Robert E. Goodnow. His exploration of the ...

books.google.com/books?isbn=0887386563...

Bibliography

P19 Robert E. Goodnow, Henry K. Beecher, Mary A.B. Brazier, Frederick. Mosteller, and Renato Tagiuri. “Physiological performance following a ...

www.springerlink.com/index/t6upt698t2878j35.pdf

by S Schools

Study of Chinese personality by Robert E Goodnow - Buy or Sell

buy or sell Study of Chinese personality by Robert E Goodnow at the Wigix community marketplace.

www.wigix.com/.../Study-of-Chinese-personality-by-Robert-E-Goodnow - Cached

[PDF] firmed Services Techmcal information Agency

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML

Mr. Robert E. Goodnow. N. Mr. David Clayman. We wish to thank for helpful and generous coopera- tion and assistance Dr. Frederick Mosteller of Harvard ...

handle.dtic.mil/100.2/AD028814

by OR USE

Seminole Firemen Start Subdivision Matt Forsythe Membership ...

And, as Robert E. Goodnow, president pointed out in the subscription letter, the department is being asked to increase paid personnel from seven to 17 and ...

news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19721228&id...

SAMUEL B. LYERLY

B Lyerly - Pipl Profiles

Christina Adkins; Samuel B Lyerly. You already recently rated . ... Adkins, Dorothy C., and Samuel B. Lyerly. Factor Analysis of Reasoning Tests. ...

pipl.com/directory/name/Lyerly/B - Cached

Measurement Educational and Psychological

Educational and Psychological Measurement. Samuel B. Lyerly. Coefficient ... SAMUEL B. LYERLY. Society for the Investigation of Human Ecology ...

epm.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/19/1/73.pdf - Similar

by SB Lyerly - 1959 - Related articles

Factor analysis of reasoning tests, by Dorothy C. Adkins and ...

Adkins, Dorothy Christina, and Lyerly, Samuel B. Factor analysis of reasoning tests, by Dorothy C. Adkins and Samuel B. Lyerly, with the assistance of ...

catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/1588488 - Cached

Horizon Information Portal

Handbook of psychiatric rating scales [by] Samuel B. Lyerly. by Lyerly, Samuel B. Rockville, Md., National Institute of Mental Health; [for sale by the ...

capemay.njstatelib.org/.../ipac.jsp?...1... - Cached

A note on correcting for chance success in objective tests

SAMUEL B. LYERLY. 23 thus making an inference from sample to population. .... SAMUEL B. LYERLY. 25 accept the hypothesis S=4 as that which makes the ...

www.springerlink.com/index/W7R0161N28G4V047.pdf - Similar

by SB Lyerly - 1951 - Cited by 24 - Related articles - All 4 versions

The average spearman rank correlation coefficient

SAMUEL B. LYERLY. WASHINGTON, D. C.. A method is derived for finding the average .... SAMUEL B. LYERLY. 423. Substituting this average value of the sum of ...

www.springerlink.com/index/024876247X874885.pdf - Similar

by SB Lyerly - 1952 - Cited by 38 - Related articles

Samuel B Lyerly, and Books (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

Alibris has new & used books by Samuel B Lyerly, and, including hardcovers, softcovers, rare, out-of-print first editions, signed copies, and more.

www.alibris.com/search/.../Lyerly,%20Samuel%20B%20,%20and - Cached

'Chance" Scores on the Strong Vocational Interest Blank for Men

Samuel B. Lyerly. The variance of the weights for the first item is. ] - (1 + 0 - 1)79 = 2/3, and for the second,. [(-2) 2 + 1=+ P]] ...

psycnet.apa.org/journals/apl/41/3/141.pdf

by SB Lyerly - Cited by 1 - Related articles - All 3 versions

News and Notes

and Samuel B. Lyerly, this study was focused on the design of procedures and instruments to study the characteristics of visitors to various museums ...

www.jstor.org/stable/2747604

[PDF] PERCEPTUAL AND MOTOR SKILLS—Archival List of Associate Editors

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

Samuel B. Lyerly. 1964–1978. Norman H. Mackworth. 1955–1963, 1966–1986. Cecil W. Mann. 1955–1982. Elliott M. McGinnies. 1959–1972. Paul McReynolds ...

www.ammonsscientific.com/AmSci/docs/Archive-Assoc-Eds-PMS.pdf

BRAINWASHING and PAA, Inc.

STERN THREAD

I just purchased the article in question today from this publicly available Washington Post article archive web site link:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost...A+CIA+Operation

Notes and verbatim quotes:

Walter P. Pasternak is the current (in 1974) the operating head of Psychological Assessments Incorporated in 1965 funded by the CIA

(Any relation to Boris Pasternak, the Rooskie?)

Retiring President in 1974 is John Gittinger (Most likely the brother of Ted Gittinger, the suspected CIA apologist on alt.conspiracy.jfk)

Colson had asked the office of the Watergate special prosecutor "documents or records concerning the psychological profile

of Dr. Ellsberg compiled by PAA, Inc. for the CIA

Gittinger accused Colson of lying about the role of PAA Inc. in the Ellsberg case with Dr. Lewis Fielding

Gittinger admitted they have conducted training programs for CIA operatives abroad and performed psychological evaluations for overseas employees of American firms with foreign based offices or subsidiaries

It covers the study of brainwashing techniques by foreign intelligence organizations that was carried out by a New York based predecessor organization to PAA called The Human Ecology Fund. (Editor's Note: THIS FUND WAS SPONSORED BY WICKLIFFE DRAPER AND HIS FRIENDS AT THE AMERICAN EUGENICS SOCIETY)

It also provides training to CIA employees for assessing the credibility of foreign intelligence informants. Its a question of trying to understand whether someone is lying or telling the truth when he comes through the door and says he wants to give you information, Gittinger

explained.

The beginning of the psychological assessment program Gittinger related goes back to the early 1950s when former CIA Director Allen W. Dulles sought neurological treatment for his son Allen M. Dulles, who was seriously injured in Korea from a New York neurologist, Dr. Harold G. Wolfe

Dulles became interested in Wolfe's research into Chinese indoctrination of captured American pilots during the Korean war. CIA began financing the research work through first the Society for the Investigation of Human Ecology, with which Wolfe was associated, and then the Human Ecology Fund, according to Gittinger. (SEE: BRAINWASHING BY EDWARD HUNTER FROM REGNERY PRESS)

Both operated a private research organization with headquarters in New York and with branches overseas.

"This whole project was Allen Dulles' baby", Gittinger explained It grew out of his son's injury in Korea.

Because of the growing controversy over CIA financing of private organizations in the mid-1960's the Human Ecology Fund was abandoned. The controversy was touched off by disclosure that the agency was funding activities of US based student, labor, journalistic, and cultural organziations.

The Human Ecology Fund was spared public mention during the furor over clandestine CIA financing. It folded quietly after Gittinger moved to Washington to start PAA Inc.

Current programs by PAA said Gitt are strongly pointed toward Soviet, Chinese and Arab cultural training. He declined to discuss the specific nature of

the programs or whether PAA carried out such programs for foreign intelligence or security organziations.

The commercial side of PAA's activities screening foreign employees of American firms, has shrunk in recent years, making the company almost wholly dependent on its CIA contracts.

He emphasized that the company has never taken a government of private contract which involved the assessment of an American citizen. "We do absolutely no domestic advising", Gittinger said, "We have never been asked to evaluate an American."

Gittinger and the two other ex-CIA founders of PAA Robert E.Goodnow and Samuel B. Lyerly have ended their active association with the company. It was understood that the new operating group is seeking to divest itself of the CIA financial sponsorship.

I am very proud of what I have done for the agency over a long period of time in the assessments field, said Gitt. There is nothing I am ashamed of, nothing I have to hide.

End of article.

Here is an older post I made a few years ago about Frank Olson, PAA and the execution of Admiral Darlan by either

Carleton S. Coon or his associates. His personal pistol was found at the scene of the crime, by the way and he

always dressed like Indiana Jones, used a bullwhip, worked for the CIA, was infatuated with UFOs, was an Egyptologist,

an erudite Anthropology Professor and even looked a bit like the actor who played Indiana Jones. Coincidence? Hardly.

Post Nov 11 2007, 07:42 PM

CIA Mind-Control Operations and THE SYNDROME

[Editor's Note: The following article was forwarded to John Case by Susan Ford (Brice Taylor) <sueford@earthlink.net>. She prefaced the story with following note: "I have highlighted and emphasized portions of this important article. The infamous Tavistock Institute, which operates under the aegis of the Royal Institute of International Affairs in Great Britain, is the brainchild and executor for the CIA regarding mind control experimentation and its implementation." Ken Adachi]

By John Case

http://educate-yourself.org/mc/mcthesyndrome13jun01.shtml

June 13, 2001

THE SYNDROME is a thriller driven by a secret culled from the deepest recesses of the Cold War. It is a secret that encompasses an illicit program of human experimentation, using pain, drugs and hypnosis to create the perfect assassin. So sensitive was this program that only a handful of people have ever been privy to more than a small part of it. The activity's existence was first hinted at by the Rockefeller Commission in a 1974 report on domestic CIA operations. The Commission devoted just two sentences to the program, whose documentary record had been destroyed by an outgoing CIA Director. Despite that Director's attempt to impose institutional amnesia on the Agency he'd headed, seven boxes of financial documents were later found in a dusty cabinet at the Agency's headquarters in Langley, Virginia.

The paper-trail contained within those boxes wound its way through a complex of medical institutes, hospitals and foundations that had given cover to a behavioral modification program in which human guinea pigs had been "tested to destruction" without their knowledge or consent.

Beyond those seven boxes, no other records are known to exist. Even so, the New York District Attorney's office continues to seek homicide indictments against CIA officers who are believed to have murdered a key scientist in the program.

Though few records of its existence remain, the program is known to have begun during World War II, when the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) attempted to develop "a truth drug" in an effort to elicit information from recalcitrant Prisoners of War. The subjects of these earliest experiments were captured Axis soldiers, and American GIs facing court-martial for various crimes.

When the war came to an end, the program did not. Instead, it took a strange turn--and gained momentum. What had been a search for a truth-drug morphed into a mind-control program whose purpose was to create a murderous automaton whose memory could be "edited" by his handlers at headquarters.

The need for an assassination "utility" of this kind had been articulated a few years earlier by a professor of anthropology at Harvard, a former OSS operative who was himself implicated in World War II assassination plots. This was the late Carleton Coon who, in an after-action report to OSS chief "Wild Bill" Donovan, wrote,

"...we cannot be sure that the clear and objective scholars who study the existing social systems and draw up the blueprints for a society to suit our technology will always be heard, or that their plans will be put into operation. We can almost be sure that this will not be the case. Therefore some other power, some third class of individuals aside from the leaders and the scholars must exist, and this third class must have the task of thwarting mistakes, diagnosing areas of potential world disequilibrium, and nipping the causes of potential disturbances in the bud. There must be a body of men whose task it is to throw out the rotten apples as soon as the first spots of decay appear. A body of this nature must exist undercover. It must either be a power unto itself, or be given the broadest discretionary powers by the highest human authorities."

With the outbreak of the Korean War, Coon's proposal seems to have been melded with the truth-drug investigations then under way, and given a jump-start. The Pentagon and the CIA arranged for the publication of articles about "communist brainwashing" in popular magazines such as The Reader's Digest and Saturday Evening Post. The message was explicit: there was a "mind-control gap."

This created a groundswell of political support for the Agency's decision to embark upon a full-fledged "mind-control" program of its own. Beginning in 1952, the CIA began to work with the Special Operations Division of the Army's biological research center at Fort Detrick, studying the covert use of chemical and biological weapons. Among the drugs studied was LSD.

The subjects in these experiments were people on the margins of society. They included the inmates of prisons and mental institutions, as well as homeless alcoholics on Skid Row. Those who espoused unpopular political views or whose lifestyle was perceived as immoral were also considered "fair game"--and so became unwitting guinea pigs in the spooks' quest to create a "Manchurian Candidate."

Occasionally, the Agency experimented on its own--and, sometimes, with terrible consequences. In 1954, Dr. Frank Olson was invited to a gathering at a CIA retreat near Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. At that gathering, we are told that Olsen and nine other people were given high doses of LSD without their knowledge. By all accounts, Olson's reaction was negative in the extreme. Plunged into severe depression, he suffered hallucinations for days, and was taken to see a therapist in New York. While there, and under the most mysterious circumstances, he fell to his death from an upper-story window of the Statler Hotel.

Though Olsen's death was pronounced a suicide, the case has since been re-opened, and is now under investigation by the New York District Attorney's office.

Meanwhile, the Agency forged ahead. Fearful of adverse publicity from incidents such as the one that claimed Olsen's life, the CIA shifted many of its operations to the West Coast and abroad. One such activity involved safe-houses in New York and Washington, where prostitutes were paid to bring clients. "Fair game," the clients would be dosed with drugs, and their behavior observed by CIA operatives sitting behind two-way mirrors.

With Olsen's death, these and other operations were moved to San Francisco, where the fallout from such activities could be more easily controlled. Still other experiments were funded abroad.

At McGill University in Montreal, Dr. Ewen Cameron carried out a series of experiments for the CIA, effectively turning his patients into "vegetables." The process, which Cameron called "depatterning," relied upon intensive electroshocks, followed by 30-60 days of drug-induced sleep, to destroy existing patterns of behavior. In the end, the patient would become a tabula rasa, her mind wiped clean and empty.

Elsewhere, scientists such as Maitland Baldwin agreed to go one step further, volunteering to carry out "terminal experiments" in sensory deprivation. Patients-subjects-victims would be buried alive for an "indefinite" period in stimulus-free "boxes." In effect, they would become the CIA's very own zombies.

Behind the codewords, BLUEBIRD and PANDORA and ARTICHOKE, the CIA and its sister agencies experimented upon a large and diverse group of subjects, many of whom suffered terribly. Using drugs and hypnosis, microwaves and radiation, the experimenters sought ways to affect moods, impose "selective amnesia," create multiple personalities, induce trance-states by rapid and remote means, and generate so-called "screen memories."

This last involved the creation of false "memories" as a way of blocking genuine ones. A key plot-point in THE SYNDROME, it is also a way to impel an agent to commit suicide when his usefulness is at an end.

The mind-control program initiated by the CIA in the 1950s was officially discontinued in the 1960s, though many critics of the Agency insist that the most "promising" research continues under other auspices, at home and abroad. This book--THE SYNDROME--is about that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Copyright© 2001 by John Case. Published online by permission of Ballantine, a division of Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.