The Education Forum

The Unbearable Hypocrisy of Being…a DPF Founder

Len Colby

Last year several members of this forum stormed off to start an alternate, the Deep Phertilizer Forum. One of the principle reasons given for their exodus was the supposedly favored treatment afforded me (and to a lesser extent Craig) by the administrators and moderators especially Evan. A big fuss was made over the fact that on other forums I use the “nom de web” LenBrazil even though this forum makes no restrictions on use of aliases elsewhere, a restriction which would effect a large percentage of forum members, and it doesn’t take a lot of brains to figure out that “LenBrazil” and some guy named “Len [Colby]” in Brazil with the same interests, POV and writing style were the same person. Calls were made for me to “prove” who I really was. Most of the people leading that hysteria formed the DPF. One of the ones who crowed the most was “Maggie Hansen”, she wrote:

“Mr 'what document do you have to support this claim' Colby is being let off with out being required to provide any proof of his own or being called to explain.”

“Doubt has been created about the identity of some one called Len Colby. I and others here have asked that this be clarified. I would ask the same of any other member if the circumstance were the same.”

“David, Jack, Charles and Jan are totally right to bring up the matter of the identity of Colby/Brasil in this forum. What he or any other member does on any other forum is not relevant but what he does and who he is here does matter a great deal.”

Bill wrote:

“…the problem isn't with Charles, it's with Len Colby Brazil, or whatever his name is.

He is always asking for posters to cite sources, and now it is important to know if Len Colby is his real name.”

To which she replied “My thoughts on this matter too.”

But when she started the DPF, which also requires that members use their real names she did so as “Magda Hassan”. The difference between ‘Magda’ and ‘Maggie’ is not significant, the latter is an obvious short form/nickname and it is common for people to adapt given names to the country they live in, my name is really Leonard not Len and here in Brazil I’m known as “Leo” or “Leonardo”. The use of different surnames is harder to explain though. I suggest that so as to not be blatantly hypocritical the good folks at the DPF oblige “Maggie”/ “Magda” immediately explain this discrepancy and suspend her if she doesn’t. But the thing is I really doubt no one there noticed until now so the hypocrisy is all round. It seems like they only believe the rule should be applied to people who hold contradictory views.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year several members of this forum stormed off to start an alternate, the Deep Phertilizer Forum. One of the principle reasons given for their exodus was the supposedly favored treatment afforded me (and to a lesser extent Craig) by the administrators and moderators especially Evan. A big fuss was made over the fact that on other forums I use the “nom de web” LenBrazil even though this forum makes no restrictions on use of aliases elsewhere, a restriction which would effect a large percentage of forum members, and it doesn’t take a lot of brains to figure out that “LenBrazil” and some guy named “Len [Colby]” in Brazil with the same interests, POV and writing style were the same person. Calls were made for me to “prove” who I really was. Most of the people leading that hysteria formed the DPF. One of the ones who crowed the most was “Maggie Hansen”, she wrote:

“Mr 'what document do you have to support this claim' Colby is being let off with out being required to provide any proof of his own or being called to explain.”

“Doubt has been created about the identity of some one called Len Colby. I and others here have asked that this be clarified. I would ask the same of any other member if the circumstance were the same.”

“David, Jack, Charles and Jan are totally right to bring up the matter of the identity of Colby/Brasil in this forum. What he or any other member does on any other forum is not relevant but what he does and who he is here does matter a great deal.”

Bill wrote:

“…the problem isn't with Charles, it's with Len Colby Brazil, or whatever his name is.

He is always asking for posters to cite sources, and now it is important to know if Len Colby is his real name.”

To which she replied “My thoughts on this matter too.”

But when she started the DPF, which also requires that members use their real names she did so as “Magda Hassan”. The difference between ‘Magda’ and ‘Maggie’ is not significant, the latter is an obvious short form/nickname and it is common for people to adapt given names to the country they live in, my name is really Leonard not Len and here in Brazil I’m known as “Leo” or “Leonardo”. The use of different surnames is harder to explain though. I suggest that so as to not be blatantly hypocritical the good folks at the DPF oblige “Maggie”/ “Magda” immediately explain this discrepancy and suspend her if she doesn’t. But the thing is I really doubt no one there noticed until now so the hypocrisy is all round. It seems like they only believe the rule should be applied to people who hold contradictory views.

Unbearable? For who? I don't see much pain and suffering there... sounds like a bit of Len whining... What would Redd Foxx have to say about this, eh?

Unbearable? For who? I don't see much pain and suffering there... sounds like a bit of Len whining... What would Redd Foxx have to say about this, eh?

Indeed David. Len doesn't seem to realise that many women change their name when they marry. A simple thing really. But too simple for some it seems. Don't tell me Len sees a conspiracy here? Twelve months and he's just noticed? Nothing better to do with your time?

Talking of double standards I see they are still selective about enforcing that photo requirement round here.

Robert E. Cox doesn't even have one: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...st&p=173407

And who can these people be?: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...st&p=173434

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...ost&p=39993

Yet they can post here.

And yet you won't allow a non-member to view your site. How open!

No. The DPF allow non members to view their site. The DPF just don't like stalkers watching every move of some of their members for hours and hours almost every day. They have many visitors from the EF but not all of them stalk.

Edited by Maggie Hansen

Indeed David. Len doesn't seem to realise that many women change their name when they marry. A simple thing really. But too simple for some it seems.

I thought of that but since:

You wrote in your bio on Sept. 24 2007:

“Gender: female. Age: late 40's. Location: Sydney, Australia. Educational background: Social Sciences and Humanities. Employment background: unemployable so have spent many useful years having children, thinking globally and acting locally, resisting the US and neo liberal empire and gardening.”

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11069

And on Dec 13 2007 wrote: “My husband is Chilean and was involved in the events of 1973…”

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...&pid=130946

I assumed you were married at the time but I guess coincidence of coincidences you an unemployed single mother (of multiple children) in her late 40s just happened to marry someone with a remarkably similar surname during that 80-day interval.

But wait in the December post you provided a link to an article supposedly about your husband that referred to a man named “Vlaudin Vega”, so when were you not honest then or now? Or did you an “unemployable” mother (of multiple children) in her "late 40s" (or perhaps early 50's) coincidence of coincidences divorce Vega after making that post and marry some guy named Hassan by the time the DPF started up on Sept. 13, 2008? Odd that you opted to adopt Hassan’s name there but not Vega’s here.

Don't tell me Len sees a conspiracy here?

No I think you are capable of being dishonest on your own.

Twelve months and he's just noticed?

You sound like a thief saying his victims were at fault for not locking up better. I’m not a member of the DPF and don’t spend a lot of time there.

Nothing better to do with your time?

More than a bit ironic coming from someone who made numerous posts concerning my use of an obvious webhandle on forums/sites where this IS allowed.

Edited by Len Colby

No. We allow non members to view our site. We just don't like stalkers watching every move of some of our members for hours and hours almost every day. We have many visitors from the EF but not all of them stalk.

Hang on: you claim I'm spending hours and hours there every day, "stalking". Jack claims I'm always here, ready to pop up at a moments notice if he posts. Yet I spend my days at work, where both the EF and DPF are blocked. So who is being untruthful: you or Jack, because I have about 20 witnesses who see me at work every day (that's called proof Maggie; you're probably unfamiliar with it).

Indeed David. Len doesn't seem to realise that many women change their name when they marry. A simple thing really. But too simple for some it seems.

“Gender: female. Age: late 40's. Location: Sydney, Australia. Educational background: Social Sciences and Humanities. Employment background: unemployable so have spent many useful years having children, thinking globally and acting locally, resisting the US and neo liberal empire and gardening.”

And on Dec 13 2007 wrote: “My husband is Chilean and was involved in the events of 1973…”

I assumed you were married at the time but I guess coincidence of coincidences you an unemployed single mother (of multiple children) in her late 40s just happened to marry someone with a remarkably similar surname during that 80-day interval.

But wait in the December post you provided a link to an article supposedly about your husband that referred to a man named “Vlaudin Vega”, so when were you not honest then or now? Or did you an “unemployable” mother (of multiple children) in her "late 40s" (or perhaps early 50's) coincidence of coincidences divorce Vega after making that post and marry some guy named Hassan by the time the DPF started up on Sept. 13, 2008? Odd that you opted to adopt Hassan’s name there but not Vega’s here.

You sound like a thief saying his victims were at fault for not locking up better. I’m not a member of the DPF and don’t spend a lot of time there.

More than a bit ironic coming from someone who made numerous posts concerning my use of an obvious webhandle on forums/sites where this IS allowed.

Poor Vlaudin has had enough troubles in his life without you also making me as his wife lol! Why do you want to involve some poor innocent into your conspiracy theory? And my marital status means what exactly? It is a) irrelevant B) none of your business. I had no idea I was not permitted to marry someone with a name similar to my own or my previous husband's name. Perhaps that is the case in Len's world, a unique place if ever there were, but I choose my friends and partners based on other criteria than the combination of letters in their name. Or are you into numerology?

No, Len, you are not a member of the DFP, and that's the way I like it, but you spend plenty of time there. Just not quite as much as some others.

Edited by Maggie Hansen

Hang on: you claim I'm spending hours and hours there every day, "stalking". Jack claims I'm always here, ready to pop up at a moments notice if he posts. Yet I spend my days at work, where both the EF and DPF are blocked. So who is being untruthful: you or Jack, because I have about 20 witnesses who see me at work every day (that's called proof Maggie; you're probably unfamiliar with it).

I have no idea what you do with your time now Evan. Your IP used to spend many, many hours at the DPF until your IP was blocked to give the members some privacy from your prying eyes. I really don't know why it bothers you so much as there is nothing there of interest to you. You have nothing but contempt for the members or anything discussed there but you really did spend an inordinate amount of time there and now you can't you are mighty pissed off it seems.

Edited by Maggie Hansen

No. We allow non members to view our site. We just don't like stalkers watching every move of some of our members for hours and hours almost every day.

Whereas the Education Forum encourages people with divergent views to become members and discuss matters which interest them. Significant difference in approach Maggie /Magda/Mowgli (or whatever your name is) is it not?

Poor Vlaudin has had enough troubles in his life without you also making me as his wife lol. Why do you want to involve some poor innocent into your conspiracy theory? And my marital status means what exactly? It is a) irrelevant B) none of your business. I had no idea I was not permitted to marry someone with a name similar to my own or my previous husband's name. Perhaps that is the case in Len's world, a unique place if ever there were, but I choose my friends and partners based on other criteria than the combination of letters in their name. Or are you into numerology?

No, Len, you are not a member of the DFP, and that's the way we like it, but you spend plenty of time there. Just not quite as much as some others.

Lack of a straight answer noted. Yes my use of a webhandle elsewhere was irrelevant but it didn't stop you and others from harping on it. You demanded answers to a question that already had been answered, funny how you change when you get caught up in a similar situation.

Let me get this straight (this is implicit though not stated outright), December 13, 2007 you were married to Vega but divorced him sometime after that and by Sept 13 2008, despite being an unemployed mother (of a few kids) in her late 40s (early 50s?), married some guy whose late name just happened to be remarkably similar to your maiden (?) name.

Ironic that the folk from the DPF like to divulge who visits and how often I imagine if Andy would report on the visiting habits of non-members associated with the DPF they would whine about privacy violations

I wouldn't dream of doing so.

The traffic through this forum is so extensive that it would be very hard to track even if I was inclined to be paranoid B)

I also think there is something rather sinister about tracking a person's IP for no good reason other than the fact that you don't like or agree with them.

Let me get this straight (this is implicit though not stated outright), December 13, 2007 you were married to Vega but divorced him sometime after that and by Sept 13 2008, despite being an unemployed mother (of a few kids) in her late 40s (early 50s?), married some guy whose late name just happened to be remarkably similar to your maiden (?) name.

Like I said before my marital status is a)irrelevant and B) none of your business You are showing an unhealthy interest in my private life Len.