The Education Forum

The CE-399 Scam

For years, WC critics have doubted the legitimacy of CE-399. Not only does its relatively undamaged condition suggest that it wounded no-one, but when it was analyzed microscopically, there was not a trace of human blood or tissue.

This video follows up on the excellent work by Dr. Gary Aguilar and Josiah Thompson, who confirmed that the FBI lied to the WC, trying to convince them that some of the men who originally handled the stretcher bullet, confirmed that it was similar to CE-399.

John Hunt then discovered that the initials written on the stretcher bullet by FBI agent Elmer Todd, were nowhere to be seen on CE-399.

In this video, I address the question of what actually happened to the real bullet that was embedded in Governor Connally's thigh. As it turned out, the Parkland staff did not leave such enormously important evidence laying around on a stretcher as the FBI claimed. When it fell from the Governor's thigh, it was immediately retrieved by a nurse who passed it on to an officer of the Texas Rangers, who then delivered it to the Dallas police dept.

Corroboration for this bullet comes from Governor Connally himself, Dallas District Attorney Wade, Connally aide Bill Stinson, and officer Bobby Nolan whom I interview in the video. It also comes from the FBI, who altered the evidence envelope that held the bullet, and forged the name of nurse Audrey Bell, to make it appear that the envelope held the fragments from Connally's wrist, instead of the bullet from his leg.

This is the Quicktime version, from my website:

http://jfkhistory.com/ce399f/ce399f.mov

And these are at Youtube, broken into two parts:

Be sure to also read Aguilar and Thompson's article here:

http://www.history-matters.com/essays/fram...MoreMagical.htm

And John Hunt's article here:

http://www.jfklancer.com/hunt/phantom.htm

For years, WC critics have doubted the legitimacy of CE-399. Not only does its relatively undamaged condition suggest that it wounded no-one, but when it was analyzed microscopically, there was not a trace of human blood or tissue.

This video follows up on the excellent work by Dr. Gary Aguilar and Josiah Thompson, who confirmed that the FBI lied to the WC, trying to convince them that some of the men who originally handled the stretcher bullet, confirmed that it was similar to CE-399.

John Hunt then discovered that the initials written on the stretcher bullet by FBI agent Elmer Todd, were nowhere to be seen on CE-399.

In this video, I address the question of what actually happened to the real bullet that was embedded in Governor Connally's thigh. As it turned out, the Parkland staff did not leave such enormously important evidence laying around on a stretcher as the FBI claimed. When it fell from the Governor's thigh, it was immediately retrieved by a nurse who passed it on to an officer of the Texas Rangers, who then delivered it to the Dallas police dept.

Corroboration for this bullet comes from Governor Connally himself, Dallas District Attorney Wade, Connally aide Bill Stinson, and officer Bobby Nolan whom I interview in the video. It also comes from the FBI, who altered the evidence envelope that held the bullet, and forged the name of nurse Audrey Bell, to make it appear that the envelope held the fragments from Connally's wrist, instead of the bullet from his leg.

Robert, I find aspects of this video confusing. While it is easy for me to conceive CE399 being switched at some point, the switching of a second bullet for the fragments makes less sense to me. Are you trying to claim there were no fragments? Or that they were not transported in an envelope? Are you trying to claim Bell added her initials over someone else's? Or that her initials were forged? And if they were forged OR placed over someone else"s

P.S. a close look at the statements of Connally and Wade late in life indicates they were far from knowledgeable on the over-all picture and were almost certainly winging it when they discussed the provenance of CE 399. As a result, I don't believe we can put much stock in their "slip-ups."

Edited by Pat Speer

Robert, I find aspects of this video confusing. While it is easy for me to conceive CE399 being switched at some point, the switching of a second bullet for the fragments makes less sense to me. Are you trying to claim there were no fragments? Or that they were not transported in an envelope? Are you trying to claim Bell added her initials over someone else's? Or that her initials were forged? And if they were forged OR placed over someone else"s

P.S. a close look at the statements of Connally and Wade late in life indicates they were far from knowledgeable on the over-all picture and were almost certainly winging it when they discussed the provenance of CE 399. As a result, I don't believe we can put much stock in their "slip-ups."

Pat,

I believe the envelope which originally held the bullet that was given to Officer Nolan made its way to the FBI and was quickly determined to have come from a weapon that was not Oswald's. And in fact, if you read the second article by Hunt, you will see FBI documentation regarding TWO bullets that were sent in from Parkland. I think one of them was the stretcher bullet and the other, the one that was recovered by the nurse.

But neither of them matched CE-399. The stretcher bullet probably had nothing to do with the assassination (no, it was NOT planted) and it was replaced by CE-399, which was probably fired into cotton wading. Obviously, that's why none of the witnesses could corroborate it and why Todd's initials were not on it.

Are you still with me:-)

The actual bullet from Connally's leg was probably disposed of, but there was a problem. The envelope which bore Nolan's initials, represented a SECOND, very inconvenient bullet. So, they decided to claim that the envelope instead, contained the wrist fragments. To do that, they made a rather crude attempt to forge Nurse Bell's initials. And in fact, when the ARRB showed her a photo of that envelope, she denied seeing her own initials anywhere on it (the recording is in the ce399 section of my long video).

Consider that she HAD to initial that envelope before ANY cop or agent would accept it.

Now, granted, the forgery was so terrible that one might wonder how they could have hoped to ever get away with it. But by then, Oswald was dead and there was no expectation of another investigation. They had every reason to believe that it would never go beyond the FBI's files.

And looking at the envelope, it is very clear that portions of it have been erased and that it was filled out by people with two distinctly different handwritings.

http://jfkhistory.com/ce842.jpg

The nurse who Nolan heard come out and say "What do I do with this?", was obviously not very knowledgeable. Bell, who had been a supervisor for years, certainly wouldn't have walked out into the hallway, asking what she should do with an evidence envelope. And in fact, it never should have been turned over to a Hwy Patrolman. It should have first gone to an office in the hospital which processes potential, criminal evidence before passing it along to the proper authorities.

This nurse was obviously inexperienced and with Connally's life on the line, the doctors and other nurses probably never even noticed her picking the bullet up from the floor. But she apparently knew enough to put it in an envelope and fill it out. Giving it to the nearest cop probably made perfectly good sense to her.

As for Wade, Connally and Stinson, all of whom confirmed that this bullet was recovered by a nurse, I don't doubt that their memories were imperfect. But their stories and particularly Wade's could only be explained as either a deliberate lie or a serious delusion. This was not a minor issue and he told his story in considerable detail.

BTW, if you have a photoshop kind of program, bring up the brightness and contrast a bit in the ce842 photo. Look at how much was erased near the bottom.

(edit)

And just to clarify a bit. This was not really about switching bullets for fragments. It's about switching envelopes. The wrist fragments undoubtedly, were sent to the FBI in the correct envelope, properly initialed by Bell. But someone with the FBI decided to try to make it appear that the envelope carrying the leg bullet, actually contained the wrist fragments, effectively eliminating the evidence for the real bullet that wounded Connally.

Sometimes its not easy to make this stuff clear:-)

Edited by Robert Harris

So let me see if I have this now...

1. An unidentified nurse found a bullet that had fallen from Connally's leg and gave it to Nolan, who gave it to Fritz, who gave it to the FBI.

2. Nurse Bell was given fragments from Connally's wrist and gave them to an FBI or SS agent.

3. When the FBI realized this bullet could not have been fired from Oswald's gun, they made it disappear, by claiming Nolan had only been given fragments, and that he'd received these from Bell.

I have problems with this.

By switching envelopes, they'd taken a huge risk that 1) Bell would have a clear recollection of the man to whom she gave the fragments and swear on a stack of Bibles it wasn't Nolan; 2) Nolan would open or feel the envelope and feel sure he'd received an intact bullet; 3) Nolan would swear on a stack of Bibles the nurse who gave them this bullet wasn't Bell; and 4) the nurse who actually found the bullet would talk.

Question: wouldn't they have been better off simply switching this bullet for one fired from Oswald's gun, as they apparently did with the stretcher bullet?

1. An unidentified nurse found a bullet that had fallen from Connally's leg and gave it to Nolan, who gave it to Fritz, who gave it to the FBI.

2. Nurse Bell was given fragments from Connally's wrist and gave them to an FBI or SS agent.

3. When the FBI realized this bullet could not have been fired from Oswald's gun, they made it disappear, by claiming Nolan had only been given fragments, and that he'd received these from Bell.

By switching envelopes, they'd taken a huge risk that 1) Bell would have a clear recollection of the man to whom she gave the fragments and swear on a stack of Bibles it wasn't Nolan; 2) Nolan would open or feel the envelope and feel sure he'd received an intact bullet; 3) Nolan would swear on a stack of Bibles the nurse who gave them this bullet wasn't Bell; and 4) the nurse who actually found the bullet would talk.

Question: wouldn't they have been better off simply switching this bullet for one fired from Oswald's gun, as they apparently did with the stretcher bullet?

Pat,

I agree with your issues. This all does seem to be the long way around the barn.

My question is why would they switch an "Oswald bullet" for the "pointed" stretcher bullet at all. Why not just confirm the stretcher bullet had nothing to do with the case at all? This would have brought their risk to zero, as planting a bullet from Oswalds rifle only seems to have caused them grief for years.

Evidence that does not exist can not be examined, this leaves 0 possibility of refuting it.

I would also add that Tomlinson was definitely not "always adamant" about where he found the bullet. It is apparent from his WC testimony that he is unsure. He makes this very clear in his WC testimony.

This to me leaves the door open that it could well have been the JBC stretcher that it was found on.

I do not dispute the fact that there are issues with the chain of possession.

Another issue I have is the proportion with which the claims that the bullet(CE399) could not be identified as the one found on the stretcher.

From what I have read this neither confirms nor denies.

But then they would have had two Connally bullets and none that could be connected to JFK. One thing there is no doubt at all about, is that the hallway stretcher could not have been JFK's. And without making a lot of incriminating phone calls there is no way that anyone at FBI central could have known how certain it was that the stretcher was or was not Connally's.

That would only leave one bullet for JFK.

But one bullet was not enough for him, was it? He was obviously hit early and hit again at the very end. Even a single viewing of the Zapruder film made that obvious. So, one of those Connally bullets HAD to disappear if they were going to stick with a three shot scenario.

As for Bell and Nolan, who was going to ask them about any of this, or even tell them about it? There was going to be no trial and for all they knew, no investigation other than their own. And they had the power to hide those documents, practically forever. If the WC had not come along, we probably would never have seen ce842.

Did you look at the image I posted? Nolan's initials are certainly there. But where are Bell's initials? She said they weren't present on the envelope, but they had to have been there for her to have passed the envelope on to anyone. That fact alone, is a deal breaker, Pat.

And look closely at the crude effort to create "AMB" at the bottom. Were or were not, those characters altered?? And why were other characters on the envelope erased? My sense is that someone experimented to see if he could forge the initials but gave up on it. But whatever happened, there is just NO plausible, innocent explanation.

Tampering with evidence envelopes is a huge taboo in law enforcement. It makes for an automatic get-out-of-jail free card for criminal defendants. It is not something anyone in the FBI would do for any other reason, than the obvious.

For the same reason, erasing and altering an evidence envelope by a hospital employee is also taboo and a surefire way to be tossed in jail with an obstruction charge.

If there is another explanation for all this, I would love to hear it. But I just cannot think of one.

But then they would have had two Connally bullets and none that could be connected to JFK. One thing there is no doubt at all about, is that the hallway stretcher could not have been JFK's. And without making a lot of incriminating phone calls there is no way that anyone at FBI central could have known how certain it was that the stretcher was or was not Connally's.

But one bullet was not enough for him, was it? He was obviously hit early and hit again at the very end. Even a single viewing of the Zapruder film made that obvious. So, one of those Connally bullets HAD to disappear if they were going to stick with a three shot scenario.

As for Bell and Nolan, who was going to ask them about any of this, or even tell them about it? There was going to be no trial and for all they knew, no investigation other than their own. And they had the power to hide those documents, practically forever. If the WC had not come along, we probably would never have seen ce842.

Did you look at the image I posted? Nolan's initials are certainly there. But where are Bell's initials? She said they weren't present on the envelope, but they had to have been there for her to have passed the envelope on to anyone. That fact alone, is a deal breaker, Pat.

And look closely at the crude effort to create "AMB" at the bottom. Were or were not, those characters altered?? And why were other characters on the envelope erased? My sense is that someone experimented to see if he could forge the initials but gave up on it. But whatever happened, there is just NO plausible, innocent explanation.

Tampering with evidence envelopes is a huge taboo in law enforcement. It makes for an automatic get-out-of-jail free card for criminal defendants. It is not something anyone in the FBI would do for any other reason, than the obvious.

For the same reason, erasing and altering an evidence envelope by a hospital employee is also taboo and a surefire way to be tossed in jail with an obstruction charge.

If there is another explanation for all this, I would love to hear it. But I just cannot think of one.

As I recall, the FBI initially reported that CE399 fell out of Kennedy's back, and did not change their story for some time after the shooting. That was their Kennedy bullet. The fragments found in the front seat was their second Kennedy bullet. Outside the fragments in Connally's wrist, they had no Connally bullet. If Nolan had given them a non M/C bullet in an envelope that had fallen from Connally's leg, that they could switch for a third bullet linked to Oswald, and claim that this was the bullet provided by Nolan, why didn't they?

As far as CE 842, there are several sets of initials on there that I can't read. The BMN is presumably Nolan and the Rf presumably Frazier. Beyond that, I'm not sure. But I think it's probably wishful thinking to assume a nurse would sign the envelope in order to insure a proper chain of evidence...

Edited by Pat Speer

Pat, if you still have doubts about this, please look at Hunt's followup article to the one I cited earlier.

http://www.jfklancer.com/hunt/mystery.html

Look in particular, at the Shanklin memo which clearly describes TWO bullets coming in from Parkland,

"Mr. BELMONT [FBI Assistant Director, Allan H. Belmont] from SOG [seat Of Government, i.e., FBI HQ in D.C.] advised that they have made arrangements with Secret Service to secure the bullet that apparently killed President KENNEDY and that Secret Service in Washington was calling SORRELLS here and instructing him to turn the gun over to us and that I should after receipt of the gun, also secure the bullet that shot Governor CONNALLY and have an Agent get on the plane and take the gun and the other bullet to Washington."

Please also examine the corroborating evidence that Hunt found, which includes a memo from Alan Belmont reporting a call at 9:18 pm to Shanklin and telling him that a bullet, supposedly, from JFK was going to be flown in, along with other evidence. But the stretcher bullet had already arrived at 7:30 PM.

So, if we can believe the FBI's own documentation, there were originally, two bullets flown in from Dallas to DC. But by the time the WC rolled around, the "JFK" bullet had evaporated and was never mentioned again.

Of course if the bullet had really come from JFK, then it would have been prime evidence, which in those pre-SBT days, should not have created any problems at all for the FBI. They should have been flaunting it instead of burying it.

But I don't think it was connected to JFK at all. That had to have been the bullet that fell from Connally's leg.

• 1 month later...

Pat, if you still have doubts about this, please look at Hunt's followup article to the one I cited earlier.

http://www.jfklancer.com/hunt/mystery.html

Look in particular, at the Shanklin memo which clearly describes TWO bullets coming in from Parkland,

"Mr. BELMONT [FBI Assistant Director, Allan H. Belmont] from SOG [seat Of Government, i.e., FBI HQ in D.C.] advised that they have made arrangements with Secret Service to secure the bullet that apparently killed President KENNEDY and that Secret Service in Washington was calling SORRELLS here and instructing him to turn the gun over to us and that I should after receipt of the gun, also secure the bullet that shot Governor CONNALLY and have an Agent get on the plane and take the gun and the other bullet to Washington."

Please also examine the corroborating evidence that Hunt found, which includes a memo from Alan Belmont reporting a call at 9:18 pm to Shanklin and telling him that a bullet, supposedly, from JFK was going to be flown in, along with other evidence. But the stretcher bullet had already arrived at 7:30 PM.

So, if we can believe the FBI's own documentation, there were originally, two bullets flown in from Dallas to DC. But by the time the WC rolled around, the "JFK" bullet had evaporated and was never mentioned again.

Of course if the bullet had really come from JFK, then it would have been prime evidence, which in those pre-SBT days, should not have created any problems at all for the FBI. They should have been flaunting it instead of burying it.

But I don't think it was connected to JFK at all. That had to have been the bullet that fell from Connally's leg.