Betrayed by politics

To executions

Or hellish prison

There at Principe's wall

And elsewhere fell

M-26-7

'The' Cuban Revolution!

{c} by H.J.Dean...M-26-7

Harry, I thought of the Cubans who were betrayed by the USA when I read the story of William Eaton, an American diplomat in Egypt in early 1800s. They were going to make a movie about him with some famous stars but the real revolution intervened.

US Counsel to Egypt Eaton had convinced Hamet Karamanli the deposed prince of Tripoli that he could regain power with the assistance of US Navy, and remove his brother Yusuf, a tyrant whose pirate ships were at war with the USA. With Sgt. Presley O'Bannon, eight US Marines, a small regiment of Greek Christians, a cavalry of Arab Bedouins and supporters of Hamet Karamanli, they marched 500 miles across the desert and took the port city of Derna.

As Lawrence did a hundred years later in using the same tactic to take the port city of Aqaba, they surprised the garrison that only expected an attack from the sea and had their cannons facing the water.

After defeating a loyalist counterattack, Eaton, O'Bannon and Hamet Karamanli and their army, flush with two victories, were about to advance on Tripoli when they were informed that a treaty had been reached.

Because he held 300 US navy prisoners from the frigate USS Philadelphia, captured when the ship ran aground while chasing a pirate ship into Tripoli harbor, Tobias Lear allowed Yusuf to remain in power and paid him a ransom against the pre-stated policies of the USA. Stephen Decatur had to go back and fight a second Barbary War just to set the record straight with this guy.

Tobias Lear screwed William Eaton, O'Bannon and Hamet Karamanli, who had to sneak out of Derna on a US Navy ship and leave their army to the mercy of Yusuf Karmanali, the Tyrant of Tripoli.

Hamet knew that Eaton and O'Bannon were sincere and gave O'Bannon his Mamaluke sword, now the dress sword of the USMC.

Tobias Lear, who had been Washington's secretary after he left office, was chastised by everyone for agreeing to a deal with the devil when Eaton and O'Bannon and the Navy were on the verge of winning the war. He eventually committed suicide in disgrace.

While Hamet lived his life in exile, when the US Spokane put into Tripoli in 1949, they held a ceremony in honor of the US Navy who are buried there, the mayor of Tripoli was Yusuf Karamanli, same family dynasty who we tried to overthrow over a hundred years earlier.

Now if we could see into the future a hundred years, what are the odds on the President of Cuba being named Castro, the President of the USA being named Bush and the leader of Libya named Gadhafi?

In any case, you can be sure that the USA will abandon their friends and allies when other interests come into play, just as they did to Hamet Karamanli, the Cubans at the Bay of Pigs, and if they allow Gadhafi to stay in power.

As it is inscribed on the front wall of the US National Archives, the Past is Prologue.

BK

Part of this past is the Privateer haven of the settled east coast of the now US of A of around Kidd's time when pirates plagued the Muslim Pilgrim routes east of Africa.

The US of A's failure re Cuba is its betrayal of the Cuban people by supporting Dictators like Batista.

There's always more to a story.

Part of this past is the Privateer haven of the settled east coast of the now US of A of around Kidd's time when pirates plagued the Muslim Pilgrim routes east of Africa.

The US of A's failure re Cuba is its betrayal of the Cuban people by supporting Dictators like Batista.

There's always more to a story.

There certainly is more to the story.

The East Coast of the USA - including New Jersey was Privateer haven.

I live in the NJ Pine barrens, where privateers used to auction off merchandise seized from British ships during the Revolution. They used to take out ads in the Philadelphia newspapers advertising the sales at Chestnut Neck, which the British called "A nest of rebel pirates," and invaded to shut it down - the Battle of Chestnut Neck (Oct. 1776). Among the Privateers were Capts. Decatur and Somers, whose sons would become the first midshipmen in the US Navy and fight the Barbary Pirates.

The Barbary Pirates were African Muslims who enslaved Christian Europeans and sold them at the Tripoli slave market.

When Cynthia McKinney started ranting about Colonial enslavement of Africans I sent her a letter with a painting of the Tipoli slave market run by the pirates the US Navy fought in 1803.

Revolutionary Program: Open Letter to Cynthia McKinney

And indeed, it was the USA support for Batista and other Latin American dictators that was the false policy that led to all the failures in that region, as it was US support for similar dictators in North Africa and Middle East that has led to the revolution in that region today.

And just as JFK shifted that policy in Cuba, only supporting those anti-Castro groups that were not previously affiliated with Batista, there is a shift in US policy today in support of the revolutionaries and away from the dictators, even though the dictators supported our war with al Qada and Communism.

My point is that the lessons of history must put the USA squarely with the revolutionaries and not with the tyrants, and not settle for a political solution until the war is over and one side has lost.

BK

I did ask John S. whether he knew of any anti-slavery Muslims at the time when both the west and east were enslaving Africans. At the time of Kidd, a major problem in the east of Africa region was the plundering of flotillas of Muslim Pilgrims ( much of the loot was either spent in the area under the pirate code of spoil division. Much was carried back to the north American ''pirate haven's'' of the time and sold and bartered there. The point I'm making is the cause and effect. (what came first, the chicken or the egg) and how does it end? Imo, if it ended it would end, and everyone would win.

I read the story of William Eaton, an American diplomat in Egypt in early 1800s. They were going to make a movie about him with some famous stars but the real revolution intervened.

Bill, I've been involved in a script for a proposed War of 1812 feature film. Do you know any more about the William Eaton film project? You can PM me. THANKS

I read the story of William Eaton, an American diplomat in Egypt in early 1800s. They were going to make a movie about him with some famous stars but the real revolution intervened.

Bill, I've been involved in a script for a proposed War of 1812 feature film. Do you know any more about the William Eaton film project? You can PM me. THANKS

This is all I got:

Tripoli

http://www.movieinsi...m/m555/tripoli/

In Movie Theaters:

To Be Announced

Starring:

more credits

Keanu Reeves

Ben Kingsley

Drama Action Adventure War Historical

Synopsis: During the Jefferson presidency, U.S.diplomat William Eaton joined forces with a king to overthrow the lord of Tripoli,in what is now Libya.

http://www.comingsoo...lms.php?id=4668

Release Date: TBA

Studio: NotAvailable Director: Ridley Scott

Screenwriter: William Monahan

Starring: Keanu Reeves

Genre: Action, Drama, War

MPAA Rating: Not Available

Official Website: Not Available

Review: Not Available

DVDReview: Not Available

DVD: Not Available

Movie Poster: Not Available

Production Stills: Not Available

Plot Summary: The true story of WilliamEaton, an American who helped the heir to the throne of Tripoli lead anoverthrow of a corrupt ruler in the early 1800s.

Trailer:

Coming Soon!

Tripoli: The United States' First War on Terror

Links to Informationabout William Eaton andthe Barbary Wars

http://tripolibook.c...id=29&Itemid=43

Tripoli: The Movie

William Monahan wrote a screenplay for Tripoli, which was picked upby Director Ridley Scott. The movie's release date is TBD but both Monahan andScott are enthusiastic about it's eventual release.

TimesOnline Interview with Ridley Scott. October 5, 2006: "BillMonahan is maybe one of the two best writers I have ever worked with and I amdeveloping something with him now that will take us back to Muslim countriesnext year. It's called Tripoli, is set in 1805 and is about the bad behaviour of Pashaof Tripoli, who was kidnapping ships, particularly American ships, anddemanding ransoms while Jefferson was broke, having emptied his coffers of $11 million tocomplete the Louisiana Purchase from Napoleon, who needed the money to feed his army. Itis a fascinating period."

Collider.com interview with William Monahan, February 18, 2007: Collider.com: What is the status of Tripoli?

Monahan: I own Tripoli.Ridley and I were just talking about it recently. I think that the reason thatTripoli did not get made at Fox at that time—and this is my own appraisal oftea leaves several years old— it's because Tripoli and Master and Commanderwere set in the same era and both had Russell Crowe. The guys upstairs made adecision and went with Master and Commander, possibly because of franchiseconsiderations that have obviously not played out. Decisions get made,sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong, but they're made and you moveon. I might have made the same decision if I already had money sunk into onepicture set in 1804, even if the other film was Tripoli. We were very fortunate to have been able to movestraight into Kingdom of Heaven. And that's a masterpiece, so what was lost? Nothing. Tripoli will get made. There's no way it can't be. It'll be madewhen the time's right.

Stephen Decatur

Forinformation about Stephen Decatur, visit TheStephen Decatur House Museum

William Eaton

Forinformation about William Eaton Papers, visit The Huntington Libary

Ships

Forinformation about the USS Constitution, visit The USS Constitution

Google Earth

One of the pivotal battles of the war was fought at Derna, in what is now Libya. To view a satellite image of Derna, Use Google Earth and search for "Darnah, Libya"

Edited by William Kelly

M-26-7 = Cuban 26th Of July Revolutionary Movement

That bravely fought, now represents

Lost liberty, unjust since

The Heroic 26th

Betrayed by politics

To executions

Or hellish prison

There at Principe's wall

And elsewhere fell

M-26-7

'The' Cuban Revolution!

{c} by H.J.Dean...M-26-7

Was this {history} poem, subtly or strategically squished?

Edited by Harry J.Dean

The Heroic 26th

Betrayed by politics

To executions

Or hellish prison

There at Principe's wall

And elsewhere fell

M-26-7

'The' Cuban Revolution!

{c} by H.J.Dean...M-26-7

Appologies for diverting to Tripoli Harry, but the lessons of history required it.

Now back on track, I think that what doomed the Cuban revolution was the numbers of Cubans who went into exile and didn't return.

Many of the Libyan revolutionaries are former students and professionals who left Libya because of Gadafi, but have returned to join the fight.

Most of the Cubans who left Cuba because of Castro found more and better opportunities in the USA and didn't go back.

Keep writing Harry, Poets are revolutionaries too.

BK

The Heroic 26th

Betrayed by politics

To executions

Or hellish prison

There at Principe's wall

And elsewhere fell

M-26-7

'The' Cuban Revolution!

{c} by H.J.Dean...M-26-7

Appologies for diverting to Tripoli Harry, but the lessons of history required it.

Now back on track, I think that what doomed the Cuban revolution was the numbers of Cubans who went into exile and didn't return.

Many of the Libyan revolutionaries are former students and professionals who left Libya because of Gadafi, but have returned to join the fight.

Most of the Cubans who left Cuba because of Castro found more and better opportunities in the USA and didn't go back.

BK

Bill, no apology necessary, I like the history you describe and find it very important,

and it touches on current happenings.

I know John Dolva's thoughts on Cuba history, but figure his contribution above was

a squisher. Dolva and I may not be really far apart on Cuba, but see it from different

experiences?

Then consider the grand opportunity you both gave, enabling me to re-post this

revolutionary writing i.e. poem.

The Heroic 26th

Betrayed by politics

To executions

Or hellish prison

There at Principe's wall

And elsewhere fell

M-26-7

'The' Cuban Revolution!

{c} by H.J.Dean...M-26-7

BK

Bill, no apology necessary, I like the history you describe and find it very important,

I know John Dolva's thoughts on Cuba history, but figure his contribution above was

a squisher. Dolva and I may not be really far apart on Cuba, but see it from different

experiences?

Harry, I didn't see your post just prior to my last one. I would have taken it as a wish for back on track which is what I wanted as well. I think the point I was trying make to William was valid in the context.

I know you suffered. Many did.

I like poetry and I like that you often post in that form.

The Heroic 26th

Betrayed by politics

To executions

Or hellish prison

There at Principe's wall

And elsewhere fell

M-26-7

'The' Cuban Revolution!

{c} by H.J.Dean...M-26-7

BK

experiences?

Harry, I didn't see your post just prior to my last one. I would have taken it as a wish for back on track which is what I wanted as well. I think the point I was trying make to William was valid in the context.

I know you suffered. Many did.

I like poetry and I like that you often post in that form.

John

I cannot thank you enough for what is to me most heartfelt. Please, forgive my lack in understanding

your intent.

Harry there is nothing to forgive that hasn't been forgiven. I thank you.