The Education Forum

Vaughn Marlowe

My interest in the JFK forum has to do with my forty-year-old questions with Richard Nagell's authenticity. I just don't know if he was the real thing; if he was, then a lot of people have been wasting much of their lives traveling wrong roads of inquiry; if he was a lunatic, then my powers of perception were and are absurdly deficient, and no man wants to admit to that.

In short, I'm looking for documents that link Nagell with the CIA. I don't mean anything he wrote or said or alleged or swore to, but something the CIA wrote, said, etc. If I can find that, then I'll have a pretty good idea how it all went down, the whole bloody tragic mess.

If I can satisfy myself as to Nagell's bona fides, I can settle a number of nagging ideas that lead to a somewhat deflating but singular explanation for Nov. 22, 1963.

With or without that confirmation, I can submit that the greatest cover-up of the century was the pell mell rush to deny any connection to Lee Harvey Oswald. Even I, a mere peripheral bystander, have done that.

Welcome to the forum. I believe you are pursuing the true identity of a very interesting person.

It would be interesting to have your "somewhat deflating but singular explanation for Nov. 22, 1963".

Kind Regards,

Antti Hynonen

Vaughn,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure about documents that will link Nagell to the CIA, or indeed if any have survived the passage of time. There are many learned folk here who may assist in that task. In my opinion however, Nagell was far from a lunatic.

I am very interested in the connection between him and Tony Cuesta. If there is anything you could post on that subject, it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any opinions on the mysterious Leopoldo and Angel.

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Richards

Vaughn,

Glad you found this forum.

I have some questions that have come about as a result of my own research in other areas of the case. The answers would certainly help resolve some matters for me in regard to possible connections between those areas and you (or at least in the role allegedly planned for you). My specific research on Nagell, as well as on you, has not been externsive, by any means.

Did you know Stephen Fritchman of the First Unitarian Church in LA?

Do you know anything about something called the Western Behavioral Insitute?

Did you know - or know of a person by the name of Guy Nice - a language teacher who had travelled extensively through Europe. Originally from Ohio , but had also lived in Los Angeles and Dallas, as well as various other places around the country. Served in the USAF in the mid '40s. Would have been in his early 40s in '63. May have been involved with groups at either end of the political spectrum.

Did you ever hang out with Frank Sinatra through your association with Lord Buckley?

Hello Vaughn, having devoted many years to researching RCN and immersing myself in his extensive correspondance and documents I'd weigh in with the opinion that we are unlikely to find anything like an CIA employment file or even contact report on Nagell. A number of new documents have emerged in the last several years though, Dick Ruseell covers virtually all of the new information in the second edition of his book which was released last year.

While we have no smoking gun, we have some strong indicatior e.g.

1) A State Department document relating to an embassy visit from Nagell in Europe remarking that he was carrying the correct card demonstrating at least an association with the CIA during his visit there.

2) A letter from CIA to FBI acknowledging that approximately 8 names in his notebook were actual CIA employees, several of them in the LA office and at least one in DC

3) Confirmation that individuals Nagell described in Mexico City were indeed CIA associated, particularly confirmation from a CIA employee on the female (Maria del Carmine if memory serves).

4) Mexico City embassy documents relating to Nagell's appearances and statements to the embassy staff in MC describing his rejection of citizenship and a threat to sell secrets to foreign powers - the paperwork on this shows a total lack of the CC's and other follow-up that should have occured following such a visit; the security staff either dropped the ball entirely or somebody at some level knew it was a security test.

In addition to that we have a lot of new information emerging which demonstrates how very active FBI, CIA and even Army Intelligence was in monitoring the FPCC, all travel to and from Cuba - including several projects targeting the FPCC and FPCC penetration agents in 1963. This fits very well with the FPCC oriented evidence recovered from Nagell's car trunk upon his arrest - however not all that has ever surfaced and even one of the key pages listing evidence recovered is missing from the primary arrest documents.

-- Larry

Hi, Vaughn. I've read about you in "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and have been researching the people involved with you who could possibly have considered you to hit JFK. Believe it or not, for a person as young as me, I've covered a lot of ground. I did have to go to all sorts of states, but I finally found somebody who did say you were being considered as a gunman for the June attempt. Whether or not you were to be the patsy was what I couldn't find out. As soon as I had interviewed this person and gone back to the hotel, his wife came back in from the yard and called the cops. He had a hole in his head and a gun in his hand, but chances are it wasn't suicide.

Vaughn,

I am very interested in the connection between him and Tony Cuesta. If there is anything you could post on that subject, it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any opinions on the mysterious Leopoldo and Angel.

Sorry, but I know nothig of Tony Cuesta beyond what little I've read.

Leopoldo and Angel, if they in fact existed, are also a mystery to me. There were many hispanic customers that visited my modest bookstore; none stand out in my memory, except those I knew from past association.

Sorry, but I know nothing of Tony Cuesta beyond what little I've read. Leopoldo and Angel, if they in fact existed, are also a mystery to me. There were many hispanic customers that visited my modest bookstore; none stand out in my memory, except those I knew from past association. (Vaughn Marlowe)

Thanks, Vaughn.

I appreciate your reply.

James

Mr. Vaughn Marlowe:

I have a few questions for you, and would greatly appreciate any answers you could provide.

1.) Did Richard C. Nagell ever discuss Lee Harvey Oswald with you (or Alec J. Hidell)?

2.) If so, did he ever mention one of the names to you prior to 11/22/1963?

Kind regards,

Antti Hynonen

Vaughn,

Sorry, but I know nothig of Tony Cuesta beyond what little I've read.

Leopoldo and Angel, if they in fact existed, are also a mystery to me. There were many hispanic customers that visited my modest bookstore; none stand out in my memory, except those I knew from past association.

But Mr. Marlowe, that's not what you said to Dick Russell. You said you never had any Cubans in the store according to the book.

I forget if I successfully answered your questions.  I'm having trouble learning the whys and wherefores of this site.1.  I met Steve Fitchman a few times.  His church was a center of left-wing activities in in L.A. in the 50s and 60s.Knew a Skinnerite at UCLA who had something to do with WBI but I forget his name.  Otherwise, I know nothing about them.3.. i know nothing about Nice,4.  Frank Sinatra and I ran in different circles, to put it mildly.

Thanks for your reply, Vaughn. I understand the difficulty in using the technology. I went from being a fully-fledged Luddite to just a semi-Luddite in 2,157 easy lessons!

Guy Everett Nice was arrested in Dallas in '65 for possession of weapons and drugs. The cops also found two letters he'd written - one to Jack Ruby. In part, this stated something about it being a pity they failed to get that guy down from Monterey to "catch the blame". He went on to say that they tried to get him again when he was hanging out with Sinatra in Vegas. I guess I can now rule you out as the person Nice was talking about. His other letter indicated that he believed an un-named government agency (and it's unclear whether it was US or USSR) was trying to control him in various ways. This led the police to suggest in their reports that he was not totally sane. Studying the letters, I don't necessarily agree with them...

I will start another thread regarding Fritchman, the WBI and Skinner. Your comments were helpful.

Lee Forman,

I assume you mean Robert Nagell, Richard's son? No, I haven't tried to contact him. I see no purpose. I understand he's a veterinarian in the Los Angeles area.

If Nagell was as crazy as some think he was, how did he ever win custody? Either the judge got a character reference from a hell of a convincing and impressive source or his wife was stark raving mad.

Do you have copies of any of these records? It took me five years to get my F.B.I. file and the CIA "never heard of [me]."

-Vaughn

In short, I'm looking for documents that link Nagell with the CIA. I don't mean anything he wrote or said or alleged or swore to, but something the CIA wrote, said, etc. If I can find that, then I'll have a pretty good idea how it all went down, the whole bloody tragic mess.

Mr. Marlowe,

While researching my grandfather's experiences in China during and after WW2 (he was an officer in the US OWI, OSS and USIA), I stumbled across some references to Mark Gayn which led me to this research by Jim Martin :

http://www.umsl.edu/~skthoma/plwordc.htm

It is interesting in that it connects Nagell to Michael Straight and from there to Anthony Blunt and the Soviets. It's also interesting to note that Tracy Barnes was Micheal Straight's cousin and that they appear to have been in contact. Martin even suggests Barnes may have been a soviet agent or a double agent.

I suppose there were (are) lot's of double (or triple?) agents. Has your own research led you down this path before? If not, maybe it's a clue to the Nagell mystery.

welcome to the forum,

Chris Newton

1.) Did Richard C. Nagell ever discuss Lee Harvey Oswald with you (or Alec J. Hidell)?

2.) If so, did he ever mention one of the names to you prior to 11/22/1963?

Reply from Mr. Marlowe:

There was no mention of Oswald's name before 9-63.  In a letter I received in 3/64 he advised that I say he seemed to be a right-winger, "if anybody asks, and that he never mentioned Oswald's name.  See Russell's book for explanation.
Edited by Antti Hynonen