Spartacus

Was Jack Dougherty the Low-Intelligence Guy He's Been Portrayed As Being?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Graves

Thomas Graves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • Interests:Activities of Sicilian-born brothers Anthony and Paul Mirabile (both deceased) in Detroit, Canada, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Tijuana, Mexico

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

AFFIDAVIT IN ANY FACT
THE STATE OF TEXAS

COUNTY OF DALLAS

BEFORE ME, Patsy Collins, a Notary Public in and for said County, State of Texas, on this day personally appeared Jack E. Dougherty w/m/40, 1827 So. Marsalis WH-6-7170 who, after being by me duly sworn, on oath deposes and says:

I am employed at the Texas School Book Depository at 411 Elm and have been since 1952. I was working on the sixth floor today. There was [sic] six of us working on the floor. The others were Bill Lovelady, William Shelby, Danny Arce, Bonnie Williams, and Charles Givens. I went back to work at 12:45 p.m. I had already gone back to work and I gone down on the fifth [sic] to get some stock when I heard a shot. It sounded like it was coming from inside the building, but I couldn't tell from where. I went down on the first floor, and asked a man named Eddie Piper if he had heard anything and he said yes, that he had heard three shots. I then went back on the sixth floor. I didn't see anyone on the floor except the people I named. There was another employee that is named Lee Oswald that I saw on the sixth floor. He works all over the building, but I saw him on the sixth floor shortly before noon. I didn't see Oswald in the building after lunch.

/s/ Jack E. Dougherty

SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN BEFORE ME THIS 22 DAY OF November A.D. 1963

/s/ Patsy Collins

Notary Public, Dallas County, Texas

Analyzing the syntax and grammar used by Jack Dougherty in his affidavit, one realizes that it is very good, better than most Americans in fact. Unless he was "helped" with it, it would appear that he wasn't the low-intelligence guy he has been portrayed as being. Must have been "helped" with it, right? Actually, I don't think so. He did make one grammatical mistake when he used the singular form of the infinitive verb "to be" in the past tense (i.e. "was") when he should have used the plural form (i.e. "were"), thereby indicating that it really was Dougherty who spoke these words instead of some highly-educated "helper".

--Tommy :)

P.S. Moved here from the thread "Clearing Up Some Areas"

Edited by Thomas Graves, 30 December 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#2 Thomas Graves

Thomas Graves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts
  • Interests:Activities of Sicilian-born brothers Anthony and Paul Mirabile (both deceased) in Detroit, Canada, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Tijuana, Mexico

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'm sure it's covered in his testimony but it's been a long time since I read it; what were Dougherty's duties at the TSBD?

Martin,

I can't resist: The same as the title of the other thread from which I relocated my above post. Clearing Up Some Areas! :D

From memory I'll say that one of his responsibilities was checking on or lighting the boiler(s) in the basement every morning. I do remember that he had his own key to the TSBD and that he was in the habit of arriving there much earlier than the other employees. I think he was kind of a generalized maintenence man/janitor and that he could be found all over the building on any given day.

#3 Thomas Graves

Thomas Graves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

I'm sure it's covered in his testimony but it's been a long time since I read it; what were Dougherty's duties at the TSBD?

Martin,

I can't resist: The same as the title of the other thread from which I relocated my above post. Clearing Up Some Areas! :D

From memory I'll say that one of his responsibilities was checking on or lighting the boiler(s) in the basement every morning. I do remember that he had his own key to the TSBD and that he was in the habit of arriving there much earlier than the other employees. I think he was kind of a generalized maintenence man/janitor and that he could be found all over the building on any given day.

Tommy,

Ok, so Dougherty was smart enough to be trusted with a key and with lighting the boiler.

I'm fairly confident, therefore, that he was smart enough to be able to tell whether or not someone had a three foot long rifle in his hands.

What do you think?

Martin,

Personally, I don't think LHO took a rifle to work that day or any other day for that matter. If I'm right, then there was nothing like that for Dougherty to "notice".

#4 Thomas Graves

Thomas Graves

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Martin,

Tommy,

Ok, so Dougherty was smart enough to be trusted with a key and with lighting the boiler.

I'm fairly confident, therefore, that he was smart enough to be able to tell whether or not someone had a three foot long rifle in his hands.

What do you think?

Martin,

Personally, I don't think LHO took a rifle to work that day or any other day for that matter. If I'm right, then there was nothing like that for Dougherty to "notice".

With you on that one, Tommy.

Maybe Jack took a rifle there so early that morning that no one noticed it.

I've taken the liberty of copying and pasting this interesting post by David Weaver on the JFK Lancer Forum:

Thanks for the info Raymond,

here's all information I can post on a public forum:

Jack E. (Edwin) Dougherty

Born: 12 August 1923 Dallas Texas
Died: 29 December 1994 Dallas Texas

Source for the Military Information:
As far as I remember I found it at Nara, Enlistment records
1940-1972(from my memory)

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 18177952
NAME DOUGHERTY JACK E
RESIDENCE STATE 85 TEXAS
RESIDENCE COUNTY 113 DALLAS
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 8536 DALLAS TEXAS
DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 24
DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 10
DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 42
GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION PVT Private
GRADE: CODE 8 Private
BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION AC Air Corps

BRANCH: CODE 20 Air Corps
FIELD USE AS DESIRED
TERM OF ENLISTMENT 5 Enlistment for the duration
of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to
the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

LONGEVITY
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life
NATIVITY 85 TEXAS
YEAR OF BIRTH 23
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen
EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 992 STUDENT View
MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 6 Army of the United States -
includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective
December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of
National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in
the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of the
United States under Army Regulations 605-10
CARD NUMBER
BOX NUMBER 0289
FILM REEL NUMBER 3.11

SSN-Number: Only in privat
Relatives Names and Address: Only in private

david weaver

I wonder which high school Jack went to for 4.4 years? Maybe his photo is in the yearbook.

Edited by Thomas Graves, 31 December 2011 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users