The Education Forum

Disappeared Thread?

Sometime last Sunday morning the "New JFK Article in Skeptic Magazine" thread disappeared.

I pm'd Don Jeffries and he suggested I contact John or Pat, but alas, neither of them can receive new pm.

There was off-topic stuff on that thread I was driving some traffic to, as well as lots of JFK work near and dear to my heart on there (and now gone!)

That thread contains the only capsule history of the origin of hardcore punk rock.

V. Vale (paraphrased): "If an event isn't recorded in a print/audio/visual medium it didn't happen."

I kept the entire story -- the origin history of hardcore punk rock -- to myself for almost 34 years until I wrote it up on the Skep thread.

Now it "didn't happen" all over again!

Interesting in and of itself, but a real bummer over all.

Cliff, the whole of Dave Reitz's posts have also disappeared (not that I agreed with his arguments) but it seems strange that he has disappeared as a member as well. Voluntarily or censored?

Ray,

Thanks for the input!

I wonder, how does that explain the entire thread disappearing?

If I start a thread in which my arguments are demolished -- does that mean I get to deep-six the entire thread?

Would it be possible to retrieve the off-topic punk rock stuff and put it on a separate thread in the proper discussion group?

'Tis a pity. I was driving 30-40 views a day to that thread even though it was on page 9.

This was a cohort of readers not previously exposed to this forum or the JFK debate.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Cliff, the whole of Dave Reitz's posts have also disappeared (not that I agreed with his arguments) but it seems strange that he has disappeared as a member as well. Voluntarily or censored?

David Reitzes is no longer listed as a member of this Forum.

He's a cheerleader for LN talking points, nothing more.

So he's taken his pom-poms and split?

Cool...but can I negotiate for a return of my work on threads he started?

David Reitzes is no longer listed as a member of this Forum.

The Education Forum's no-nonsense policy about personal attacks was lost on David Reitzes, evidently.

If this policy wasn't in place I would have been personally, repeatedly attacked on the "SkepMag" thread by an Ed Forum member who no longer posts here, and the entire tenor of the thread would have been disrupted.

"Some days you eat the b'ar -- and some days the b'ar eats you."

:dis

Edited by Cliff Varnell

The Education Forum's no-nonsense policy about personal attacks was lost on David Reitzes, evidently.

Utter nonsense, Cliff.

David Reitzes never engaged in "personal attacks" on anyone here at the Education Forum. At least I certainly never witnessed that kind of behavior from him. Just the opposite, in fact. Dave always seems to go the extra mile to be quite polite and non-abusive in his forum messages. He rarely even raises his "Internet voice" (so to speak).

For Dave R. to be banned from this forum for what seems to be a very minor thing [see Dave's own explanation at the link below] is, in my opinion, completely uncalled for and without justification.

And to have all of his previous posts and threads removed is totally ridiculous, although it's certainly nothing new. I experienced the exact same thing (mass post deletion) in July 2006 when I was banned from this forum after a whopping 4 days of posting a wealth of facts and common-sense arguments.

But even when discussing getting banned from this forum, it's plainly evident that Dave Reitzes still isn't engaging in any "personal attacks" against anyone:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.assassination.jfk/WVD-MYpXd9Y/Dd637yDOvv4J

Edited by David Von Pein

Utter nonsense, Cliff.

David Reitzes never engaged in "personal attacks" on anyone here at the Education Forum.

"Orwellian".

A Lone Nutter accusing anyone of being "Orwellian" is ironic, eh?

Concave is convex -- ring a bell, Dave?

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Cliff,

Is your last post supposed to prove that I'm wrong about Dave Reitzes?

If so, I must've missed the connection. Sorry.

Reitzes snarkily suggested the Ed Forum's scorched-earth policy toward rule-breakers was equatable with a boot in the face forever.

Savvy "Orwellian"?

I'm bummed that a lot of my stuff on Reitzes thread is gone -- but no, it isn't like a boot in the face for ever.

Lone Nutters point to a convex bugle and claim it is the same as a concave indentation -- you guys are "Orwellian" to the nth degree.

Reitzes snarkily suggested the Ed Forum's scorched-earth policy toward rule-breakers was equatable with a boot in the face forever.

And therefore, if someone "snarkily suggested" (your words) something in an Education Forum post, that means they should be banned from the forum forever? Is that it, Cliff?

Gotcha.

Talk about having to walk on eggshells.

And therefore, if someone "snarkily suggested" (your words) something in an Education Forum post, that means they should be banned from the forum forever? Is that it, Cliff?

Gotcha.

Talk about having to walk on eggshells.

I don't think Reitzes should be banned, but I understand that he crossed a line with the wrong person.

"Orwellian" rings in a little harder with Brits than it does with Yanks, methinks.

[...]

It's interesting to note how Cliff Varnell's accusation about Reitzes engaging in "personal attacks" diminished to "snarkily suggested" in a matter of merely 42 minutes (based on the timing of Cliff's two posts in question).

Are those two things supposedly synonymous in your mind, Cliff? Or did you perhaps overstate things when you used the words "personal attacks"?

Ironic indeed.

Edited by David Von Pein

[...]

It's interesting to note how Cliff Varnell's accusation about Reitzes engaging in "personal attacks" diminished to "snarkily suggested" in a matter of merely 42 minutes (based on the timing of Cliff's two posts in question).

It's interesting to note how you take the phrase out of context. Snarkily suggesting someone's polices equate with the worst of mankind's nightmares is a personal attack.

Convex = concave = LN hypocrisy.

Are those two things supposedly synonymous in your mind, Cliff? Or did you perhaps overstate things when you used the words "personal attacks"?

Ironic indeed.

There is a peculiar strain of thinking which mistakes the right to free speech for a license to abuse one's host with inflammatory language.

This is John Simkin's joint. A man of the Left, our John.

One doesn't bandy words like "Orwellian" without there being consequences, evidently.

Coming soon in another location:

The Origin History of the Term "Hardcore Punk Rock": A Timeline '79-'81.

Edited by Cliff Varnell