1 reply to this topic

#1 Richard Jones-Nerzic

Richard Jones-Nerzic

Advanced Member

• admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:34 AM

Comenius is is a European action programme to encourage schools to collaborate across borders. Comenius projects can improve professional skills, knowledge of culture and languages, and innovation in teaching. Comenius Space is a site for teachers and trainers active in Comenius projects and for those that would like to join. On the website you can find services, people, experts, and advisors that can help set up an international project. Comenius Space is available in English, French and German.

http://comenius.eun....x_comenius.cfm

#2 Graham Davies

Graham Davies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:I began my career as a teacher of German and French in secondary education in 1965, moving into higher education in 1971, where I taught German (and also English as a Foreign Language to students training to become professional translators) until 1993. I have been involved in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) since 1976. In 1982 I wrote one of the first introductory books on computers in language learning and teaching, which was followed by numerous other printed and software publications. In 1989 I was conferred with the title of Professor of CALL by the Academic Board of Ealing College of Higher Education (later integrated into Thames Valley University). I retired from full-time teaching in 1993 but I continued to work as a Visiting Professor for Thames Valley University until 2001. I was the Founder President of EUROCALL, holding the post from 1993 to 2000. I am a partner in Camsoft, a CALL software development and consultancy business, which was founded in 1982. I have lectured and run ICT training courses for language teachers in 22 different countries and I sit on a number of national and international advisory boards and committees. I have been actively involved in WorldCALL since 1998 and I currently head a working party that is in the process of setting up WorldCALL as an official organisation that aims to assist countries that are currently underserved in the area of ICT and the teaching and learning of modern foreign languages. I am fluent in German, I speak tolerable French, and I can survive in Italian, Russian and Hungarian. I enjoy golf, skiing, walking my dog (a retired racing greyhound) and travelling. I used to scuba-dive regularly - my last dive was on the Great Barrier Reef in 1998 - but now I just swim at my local fitness centre.

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:16 PM

I have been involved in two successful Socrates/Lingua projects, both of which would now come under Socrates/Comenius:

1. The ICT for Language Teachers project, which involved setting up a website of training resources for teachers of Modern Foreign Languages. The website has received international acclaim and is still functioning as a free resource:
http://www.ict4lt.org

2. TALLENT: A project that aimed to offer regular one-week or two-week training courses in ICT for language teachers in the European Union, plus the creation of an online and printed course handbook: http://www.solki.jyu.fi/tallent. See Jeannette Littlemore's report on the TALLENT course delivered in Birmingham in 2001: Littlemore, J. (2002) "Setting up a course in ICT for Language Teachers: some essential considerations", CALL-EJ Online, 4 (1) at http://www.clec.rits...littlemore.html

I have also worked for the European Commission as an evaluator of project proposals. Some general advice:

1. Needs analysis: Make sure you have identified a real need for your project.
2. Evaluation: Make sure you have plans in place for formative and summative evaluation.
3. Dissemination: Have firm plans in place for disseminating the outcomes of your project.

Above all, read the Comenius guidelines carefully. You must abide by the rules otherwise your project proposal will automatically be rejected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users