The Education Forum

My memories of Vince Bugliosi

Vince was a very intelligent, witty and, at times, funny guy. He always called me "Pisan" (Italian for "friend", in case you didn't know [we are both Italian]) and was pretty nice to me. He was gracious enough to send me a free cd of music he absolutely loved- old romantic Spanish music with majestic singers and very good acoustic guitar players. We spoke a number of times in 2007 and corresponded a few times, as well. I will always cherish one quote, in particular-

Vince Bugliosi letter to Vince Palamara dated 7/14/07:
“I want you to know that I am very impressed with your research abilities and the enormous amount of work you put into your investigation of the Secret Service regarding the assassination. You are, unquestionably, the main authority on the Secret Service with regard to the assassination. I agree with you that they did not do a good job protecting the president (e.g. see p. 1443 of my book)…”

I absolutely love his book on the O.J. Simpson case "Outrage", "Helter Skelter" is a classic, and "Reclaiming History" is the best lone-nut book ever (so good it converted me for a few months in 2007 [see my reviews of Doug Horne's book at Amazon for more]

I made Vince laugh out loud once- he called me and, seeing who it was via caller i.d., I answered the phone "TEX WATSON HERE"!!!

(I have a goofy sense of humor!)

I also made Vince laugh another time when he wanted a quote for his book: my original quote was "all other books are pure moonshine" (a play on one of his favorite sayings)

Despite the controversy my conversion of 2007 caused way back when [like Deb Galentine and Pat Speer, among others, I went from CT to LN to CT again], I will always hold Vince in fond esteem. RIP

Vince P

P.S. I feel sorry for Harry Livingstone: this REALLY overshadows his death!

Vince was a very intelligent, witty and, at times, funny guy. He always called me "Pisan" (Italian for "friend", in case you didn't know [we are both Italian]) and was pretty nice to me. He was gracious enough to send me a free cd of music he absolutely loved- old romantic Spanish music with majestic singers and very good acoustic guitar players. We spoke a number of times in 2007 and corresponded a few times, as well. I will always cherish one quote, in particular-

“I want you to know that I am very impressed with your research abilities and the enormous amount of work you put into your investigation of the Secret Service regarding the assassination. You are, unquestionably, the main authority on the Secret Service with regard to the assassination. I agree with you that they did not do a good job protecting the president (e.g. see p. 1443 of my book)…”

I absolutely love his book on the O.J. Simpson case "Outrage", "Helter Skelter" is a classic, and "Reclaiming History" is the best lone-nut book ever (so good it converted me for a few months in 2007 [see my reviews of Doug Horne's book at Amazon for more]

I made Vince laugh out loud once- he called me and, seeing who it was via caller i.d., I answered the phone "TEX WATSON HERE"!!!

I also made Vince laugh another time when he wanted a quote for his book: my original quote was "all other books are pure moonshine" (a play on one of his favorite sayings)

Despite the controversy my conversion of 2007 caused way back when [like Deb Galentine and Pat Speer, among others, I went from CT to LN to CT again], I will always hold Vince in fond esteem. RIP

Vince P

To be clear, when I first started really reading about the case, in 2003, I came across Case Closed, and leaned toward the Oswald did it side for a few weeks. I was never a fully-convinced CT before that, and was never so enamored with Case Closed that I sang its praises to those who knew anything about the case. And it was a good thing, too, because within a few weeks I would have to have walked it all back.

So I guess in some ways I was lucky that I didn't know any other researchers at the time.

FWIW, I was onto Bugliosi's book from before it was even finished. I sent him a number of letters trying to get him to come to his senses. To no avail.

I feel sorry for Harry Livingstone: this REALLY overshadows his death!

Harry would say it's a conspiracy.

I sent him [Vince B.] a number of letters trying to get him to come to his senses. To no avail.

Thank heaven for that. Because if Pat Speer had gotten Vince to "come to his senses", Vince would have been believing in make-believe bullet holes in the back of President Kennedy's head that nobody else but Pat Speer can see....fake paper bags....and God knows what else.

Edited by David Von Pein

Vince P

I actually remember Tex Watson, if you're referring to the Western singer back in the 40's-50's, Saw a live performance by him. But since it was Bugliosi, I guess it was Manson's buddy you were referring to.

Edited by Kenneth Drew

I sent him [Vince B.] a number of letters trying to get him to come to his senses. To no avail.

Thank heaven for that. Because if Pat Speer had gotten Vince to "come to his senses", Vince would have been believing in make-believe bullet holes in the back of President Kennedy's head that nobody else but Pat Speer can see....fake paper bags....and God knows what else.

and God knows what else. Maybe some actual facts and not all fairy land. Bug's didn't seem to understand the JFK deal at all.

I knew he wasn't gonna go all CT all of a sudden. As I recall, I sent him some material about the EOP entrance/cowlick entrance. I had hopes he would take a look at it and announce that the bullet entered by the EOP after all. It turned out he refused to go down that road even though two of his consultants (Sturdivan and Zimmerman) similarly urged him to do so. It's too bad. His book could have been on the right side of history on at least one point.

I'm fairly certain he never even saw what I sent him. One envelope came back Return to Sender. The other received no response.

I had hopes he would take a look at it and announce that the bullet entered by the EOP after all.

Why on Earth would Vince have done something dumb like that when he had this picture to look at, which proves beyond all reasonable doubt that the bullet entered near the cowlick?....

JFK_Autopsy_Photo_BOH.jpg

Edited by David Von Pein

I had hopes he would take a look at it and announce that the bullet entered by the EOP after all.

Why on Earth would Vince have done something dumb like that when he had this picture to look at, which proves beyond all reasonable doubt that the bullet entered near the cowlick?....

LOL, yeah, sure.

Except it doesn't.

There is a red oval in this photo that resembles a gunshot wound. But it was not the bullet wound identified at the autopsy. If Bugliosi had a lick of sense he would have realized that.

1. No one seeing the small entrance wound at the back of Kennedy's head at the autopsy identified this small oval as that wound. (Humes doesn't count as he was pressured into going along and then immediately changed back.)

2. This wound is on the parietal bone, not the occipital bone, where the wound identified at autopsy was reportedly located.

3. This wound is 4 inches--almost the entire height of the back of the head--away from where the wound identified at autopsy was reportedly located.

4. While this shape is slightly oval, it is nowhere near the 15 by 6 mm (a 2 1/2 to 1 ratio) of the wound identified at autopsy.

5. The wound identified at autopsy was spotted in this photo--TWICE--by the autopsy doctors...in reports written with the help of the Justice Department, prior to the release of Tink Thompson's Six Seconds in Dallas, in which the unlikelihood of a bullet's entering low on the back of the head and exiting high on the head was first brought to the public's attention. This led to the creation of a secret panel, which MIRACULOUSLY "discovered: that the bullet actually entered high on the head.

6. The radiologist "discovering" that the bullet really entered high on the head provided measurements for this wound that have not been confirmed by anyone to subsequently view the photos and x-rays, i.o.w., he was making stuff up.

7. A close colleague to this radiologist was brought in as a consultant to the Rockefeller Commission, and he told them that this radiologist was wrong, and that the autopsy photos and x-rays supported that the bullet entered in the location determined at autopsy...on the occipital bone.

8. Over the past two decades those viewing the autopsy photos and x-rays have almost unanimously come away with the impression a bullet entered in the location described at autopsy, and not high on the head in the cowlick.

9. There is a black and white photo corresponding to the one you posted that proves there is no hole in the cowlick at the location of the red oval.

10. There is a 3-D morph of the photo you posted and this black and white on my website, that similarly proves there is no hole in this location.

11. The x-rays prove that the fractures in this region, which one might assume came from the bullet hole in the cowlick, were created AFTER the large defect on the top of the head, and not before.

I could go on and on, David. The cowlick entrance was a myth from the get-go, that has now been abandoned by the myth-makers. Heck, even Fox News figured this out in their 50th anniversary special. Catch up.

Edited by Pat Speer

I could go on and on, David. The cowlick entrance was a myth from the get-go, that has now been abandoned by the myth-makers. Heck, even Fox News figured this out in their 50th anniversary special. Catch up.

Yeah, yeah. Sure, Pat. That's why there's a ruler up next to the red spot. And that's why the red spot is the ONLY thing in that picture which comes even close to resembling a bullet hole. And that's why the HSCA and the Clark Panel BOTH confirmed via multiple measurements (in both the SCALP and the SKULL) that the entry wound on the back of President Kennedy's head was located approximately 100mm. above the EOP.

box.com / 1978 HSCA Interview With Dr. Pierre A. Finck

jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-1968-clark-panel-report.html

From the Clark Panel Report (which is a 1968 report that will forever be ignored or deemed worthless by various conspiracy theorists, including Mr. Patrick J. Speer)....

"One bullet struck the back of the decedent's head well above the external occipital protuberance. Based upon the observation that he was leaning forward with his head turned obliquely to the left when this bullet struck, the photographs and X-rays indicate that it came from a site above and slightly to his right. This bullet fragmented after entering the cranium, one major piece of it passing forward and laterally to produce an explosive fracture of the right side of the skull as it emerged from the head.

[...]

On one of the lateral films of the skull (#2), a hole measuring approximately 8 mm. in diameter on the outer surface of the skull and as much as 20 mm. on the internal surface can be seen in profile approximately 100 mm. above the external occipital protuberance. The bone of the lower edge of the hole is depressed. Also there is, embedded in the outer table of the skull close to the lower edge of the hole, a large metallic fragment which on the anteroposterior film (#1) lies 25 mm. to the right of the midline. This fragment as seen in the latter film is round and measures 6.5 mm. in diameter.

[...]

The foregoing observations indicate that the decedent's head was struck from behind by a single projectile. It entered the occipital region 25 mm. to the right of the midline and 100 mm. above the external occipital protuberance. The projectile fragmented on entering the skull, one major section leaving a trail of fine metallic debris as it passed forward and laterally to explosively fracture the right frontal and parietal bones as it emerged from the head."

Edited by David Von Pein

There is a 3-D morph of the photo you posted and this black and white on my website, that similarly proves there is no hole in this location.

You're dreaming, Pat. This 3D GIF, created by John Mytton, clearly shows the entry hole high on the head near the cowlick---in stereo yet....

00.+JFK+Autopsy+Photos+(Animated+GIF+Mon

Edited by David Von Pein

Yeah, yeah. Sure, Pat. That's why there's a ruler up next to the red spot. And that's why the red spot is the ONLY thing in that picture which comes even close to resembling a bullet hole. And that's why the HSCA and the Clark Panel BOTH confirmed via multiple measurements (in both the SCALP and the SKULL) that the entry wound on the back of President Kennedy's head was located approximately 100mm. above the EOP.

box.com / 1978 HSCA Interview With Dr. Pierre A. Finck

jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-1968-clark-panel-report.html

From the Clark Panel Report (which is a 1968 report that will forever be ignored or deemed worthless by various conspiracy theorists, including Mr. Patrick J. Speer)....

"One bullet struck the back of the decedent's head well above the external occipital protuberance. Based upon the observation that he was leaning forward with his head turned obliquely to the left when this bullet struck, the photographs and X-rays indicate that it came from a site above and slightly to his right. This bullet fragmented after entering the cranium, one major piece of it passing forward and laterally to produce an explosive fracture of the right side of the skull as it emerged from the head.

[...]

On one of the lateral films of the skull (#2), a hole measuring approximately 8 mm. in diameter on the outer surface of the skull and as much as 20 mm. on the internal surface can be seen in profile approximately 100 mm. above the external occipital protuberance. The bone of the lower edge of the hole is depressed. Also there is, embedded in the outer table of the skull close to the lower edge of the hole, a large metallic fragment which on the anteroposterior film (#1) lies 25 mm. to the right of the midline. This fragment as seen in the latter film is round and measures 6.5 mm. in diameter.

[...]

The foregoing observations indicate that the decedent's head was struck from behind by a single projectile. It entered the occipital region 25 mm. to the right of the midline and 100 mm. above the external occipital protuberance. The projectile fragmented on entering the skull, one major section leaving a trail of fine metallic debris as it passed forward and laterally to explosively fracture the right frontal and parietal bones as it emerged from the head."

So why haven't these findings--which were at odds with the observations of everyone who ever saw the body--been ignored and/or disputed by most everyone to look at the autopsy evidence in the past decades?

BTW, I hope you realize that the HSCA FPP was an extension of the Clark Panel, and that claiming their findings support the Clark Panel is like saying "WHOA! Dick Cheney agrees with George Bush, so there's gotta be WMD's in Iraq!"

P.S. I'd prefer that we not high-jack Vince's thread. If you'd like to start another one on the head wounds, be my guest. I'll meet you there.

But here's one last parting shot. When one looks at a close-up of the cowlick entrance in the morph of the two photos, it's clear that the cowlick entrance is no entrance at all, and that the center of the red oval is not a hole, but bloody hair hovering over the surface. (This is made crystal clear on a much larger version of the morph in chapter 13 at patspeer.com.)

cowlickcloseup.gif?attredirects=0&d=1&he

Edited by Pat Speer