The Education Forum

Loran Hall and Silvia Odio

Harry J.Dean

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, James

Please shoot me a signal, re additional info re; Cuba et al.

H. Dean

James

Use the 'in Cuba photo' in the way you decide, also on that Cuba

mission I delivered secret comunications from Chicago Cuban Consul

Joaquin Freire to his long time colleague Juan A. Orta Castro's chief

of staff in Havana. Freire, as Orta were long time diplomat reps. of Cuban Government{s}. Juan DelRossario was chief leader of 26th Of July Movement

in the mid-west U.S. When the Fair Play For Cuba Committee formed in

Chicago all the '26th July members' were told by him to become members.

We did so. DelRossario began laying pressure on Consul Freire and he was replaced as Consul by Grassiella {sp} a femal Cuban Communist. It was near

this time I was to go to Cuba, my friend Frerie then sent along the documents

with me to hand to Orta,which I did in mid-1960. Frerie resigned went to live in Florida just before the 1961 invsion of Cuba. Orta resigned from Castro's office three days before the invasion, entering a foriegn embassy in Havana. The documents carried to Cuba were succsesful in both escapes. However as laid out in my manuscript book and the CD previously mentioned, tells of my Intelligence

gathering mission and 'main purpose' in going to Cuba. Frerie's documents served

my mission at Castro's office & et al.

H. Dean

Good stuff, Harry. I imagine missions like that into Cuba would get a bit hairy if they didn't go quite to plan. Were there any tense moments or do it all go smoothly?

Regarding Joaquin Freire, did he go on to write a book titled, 'Historia de los Municipios de Cuba'? I might have him mixed up with someone else.

Also with Del Rosario, did he have anything to do with getting Pedro Diaz Lanz out. As you know, Diaz Lanz was the first 26th of July member to testify against Castro in a Senate hearing.

Regarding the photo of you in Cuba, I am planning to make it part of the photo archives section of this site. Hopefully you won't mind me posting it here. By the way, it's a great photo. :ph34r:

James

Edited by James Richards

Hi, James

That Cuba mission became 'more fearful' when I fell into the

hands of Cuban G2/DGI's Fransisco Vega. Even though he/they

were fooled,they continued on my tail through many of their

tricky people and methods at high and low levels.

It was decades later when I learned of another U.S. CIA suspect

brutally murdered in the same room at Vega's headquarters

office just before I was there. Finding this, the old fear reached

out again.

Re;Joaquin Freire, it is very likely he is the same person who

wrote the book you mention. I have often tried to locate him.

Where can his book be found? He always said he had been an

educator in his earlier years. Will be glad to hear info. re; his

book, and his location, if he yet lives.

Juan Del Rosario could have aided Pedro Lanz to escape but it

is v e r y unlikely, Lanz became anti-Castro, Juan was solid

pro-Castro.

No other Cuba photos exist but the one shown in your post,

they were lost over the following hectic years. No doubt some

exist at Intellegence Agencies.

Any info. on Juan Del Rosario, and my old friend Freire will be

so greatly appreciated.

I find your overall knowledge on this history most amazing, and

thank you.

H. Dean

Yeah, Harry. James has a good grip on it all. He has had a chance to talk to people involved, not just look at the pictures, tho' he drives me crazy with those "lookalikes" (wink).

The recall of the people who were involved in all this are key to sorting out the history. They aren't going to be around forever. They may bring some scattered or seemingly insignificant data, but their testimonies to what they have experienced is hugely important. We are better researchers with guys like you and Tosh and Nathaniel around to give the details from your vantage point.

Having you, Tosh and Nat Weyl here is a chance to compare notes realtime, to connect the dots of the Cuban conflict and what came after. This landscape is large it doesn't just deal with Kennedy (the sexy topic) but all the little parts of the big picture.

Quick question: did you have contact with June Cobb as well as Juan Orta in Cuba? How much of the stuff that surfaced later out of Mexico City (see Lopez report)had to do with what they were doing in Cuba? I'm having a hard time connecting some of those dots.

Thanks again fellas

Hi Harry,

Regarding Joaquin Freire Diaz, his book is pretty hard to get but you can inquire at this email address - info@modernapoesia.com

Failing that you can try this web address below.

http://www.cubanfoodmarket.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=50103

I don't know if he is still alive but if he is, he will be 91. He has a son who I believe is a talented musician. I don't know his current location though.

Falling into the hands of G2 would have been terrifiying given their history of murders. Ballsy stuff, Harry. Thanks for the backstory, just amazing.

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Richards

Yeah, Harry.  James has a good grip on it all.  He has had a chance to talk to people involved, not just look at the pictures, tho' he drives me crazy with those "lookalikes" (wink). 

The recall of the people who were involved in all this are key to sorting out the history. They aren't going to be around forever. They may bring some scattered or seemingly insignificant data,  but their testimonies to what they have experienced is hugely important.  We are better researchers with guys like you and Tosh and Nathaniel around to give the details from your vantage point.

Having you, Tosh and Nat Weyl here is a chance to compare notes realtime, to connect the dots of the Cuban conflict and what came after.  This landscape is large it doesn't just deal with Kennedy (the sexy topic) but all the little parts of the big picture.

Quick question:  did you have contact with June Cobb as well as Juan Orta in Cuba?  How much of the stuff that surfaced later out of Mexico City (see Lopez report)had to do with what they were doing in Cuba? I'm having a hard time connecting some of those dots.

Thanks again fellas

Hi,Chis

First I thank you for the info. of last week re; Morgan.

I have only read your and other's posts re; June Cobb but did not know her.

I did know Orta and had visits with him in Castro's office,and was impressed

with him. It was he who arranged an intro. for me to meet Castro. What you

say re; our individual contribution's in aiding a piece of history of those times

is true. It is always great to hear the exploits of the others in that war,although

our paths did not always cross?

Re; the Mexico connection it is explained on the CD. and the best way to

get the important details.

So how are you doing , have you kicked the flu? It is always nice to read your

posts,and I do understand the grief of your loss, and your resultant efforts in

that cause.

H.Dean

Harry and Christy,

I seem to remember that June Cobb knew Gerry Hemming. He was referred to in a letter she wrote or something. I can't find the reference in my notes and my memory is a little fuzzy. Does any of that ring a bell?

James

Edited by James Richards

Yes, she knew Gerry or at least, inquired about him in offical dispatches. Cobb is on fringes of the La Coubre incident in Cuba. In WHAT capacity other than what is found at NARA, I'm not sure, still researching.

La Coubre incident was a watershed event in US/Cuba relations. That and El Encanto sabotage. INRA reforms a big State Dept. pain after having supported the overthrough of Batista and the rise of a bigger pain--the egoist Castro.

Cobb lived with Michael Colin, was informing on Morgan. At this time, Jack Lee Evans (ck me on the name) showed up and then vanished. I'm sure Escalante has info on this chapter as well. You can find this on Weberman and in Newmans work, I believe. I have some documents and her "flutter" notes from NARA all declass through AARB. This is not new info.

Now that Harry has added his thoughts on Morgan and his being a conduit to Castro, it fits some of my research into what guys like Morgan were doing in Cuba in the first place. Not conclusive but makes a great deal of sense.

Did I answer your question, for goodness sakes? I confuse myself sometimes (wink).

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the reply. Yes, you did answer my question. :)

The informing on Morgan aspect is very interesting. I can't find the reference at the moment but Morgan may have been inserted by Frank Bender/Gerry Droller who was mentioned on another thread.

If I remember correctly, wasn't Hemming and Loran Hall in Cuba at this time as well?

Cheers,

James

Must-get-off-chair...I'm supposed to be sailing today not surfing.

James I've thought this period so important. Thanks for posting topic of what I see is (generically?) linked to JFK events-- one of world's biggest coverups and shams since creationism and Virgin Birth. AND it should be viewed separately. Cuba is not Dallas. There I've said it.

Important pre-assassion history blabla

The Bender of '61 doesn't fit my chronology of Cuban involvement for these men. Earlier is what I'm thinking. Hall, I think Gerry mentions this on AJ site: was in jail with my father time of big counterrev roundup summer '59 or '60 (ck dates). That was the Ruby/Trafficante visit FBI didn't want Mr. Hudson Wilson to talk. Critical period. Kennedy not elected (for the youngin's)yet and not informed of BOP yet (ck me on it).

remember, not for you but others who may be intersted in this thread--Hall is Lorenzo Pascillo(sp)? (Christy Cox)

Indeed, Christy. I think it is relevant that during 1963, there was some effort put into deliberately photographing Loran Hall with Manuel Aguilar. At the time, Aguilar was considered a double agent. Maybe this was part of the proposed Dallas playbook that didn't formulate?

I also agree that the late 50's early 60's period in Cuba is vital. Sure, it wasn't Dallas but it was one of the roads to get there.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

James

Lorenzo Pacillo = Loran Eugene 'Skip' Hall

Lorenzo=Leopoldo

Alonzo Escruido = Lawrence John 'Larry' Howard

Alonzo=Angelo (Harry Dean)

Harry, a speculative question for you. Do you believe Hall and Howard were the infamous Leopoldo and Angel who visited Sylvia Odio in September of 1963?

James