• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John Simkin

John Simkin

• admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

Like many people I was shocked by the racial abuse experienced by black footballers playing in Madrid last night. This is something that does not happen in Britain now. It did happen in the past. I remember Clyde Best of West Ham suffering at the hands of opposing supporters in the early 1970s. Today, every team has black stars. This has stopped this moronic behaviour. Spain obviously does not have many black stars playing for their teams. The events of last night raises two issues:

1. Should the England team have linked arms in solidarity with their abused colleagues and marched off the field in protest?

2. Should Spain be punished for this behaviour? Should they be allowed to hold international sporting events in the future? I am thinking about their bid to hold the Olympic Games. Can they be trusted to treat the black athletes with respect at these games?

#2 Andy Walker

Andy Walker

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 06:48 PM

Like many people I was shocked by the racial abuse experienced by black footballers playing in Madrid last night. This is something that does not happen in Britain now. It did happen in the past. I remember Clyde Best of West Ham suffering at the hands of opposing supporters in the early 1970s. Today, every team has black stars. This has stopped this moronic behaviour. Spain obviously does not have many black stars playing for their teams. The events of last night raises two issues:

1. Should the England team have linked arms in solidarity with their abused colleagues and marched off the field in protest?

2. Should Spain be punished for this behaviour? Should they be allowed to hold international sporting events in the future? I am thinking about their bid to hold the Olympic Games. Can they be trusted to treat the black athletes with respect at these games?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was similarly disgusted by the loud racist and loutish monkey chants directed at the Black players last night. Moreover it was clearly not just a minority of the crowd.

Funnily enough my other half Alison (who is a PE teacher) was watching the game with me and she suggested that the England Captain should have taken his team off the pitch as soon as it started. I think this, followed by a press conference explaining the action, would have far greater impact than fining the Spanish FA or banning Spain from holding future tournaments.

Is the fact that the Spanish National Coach is an alleged racist himself an important factor in the emergence of the moronic element in the crowd?

I've always found Spain a relaxed and tolerant place - what's going wrong?

#3 Graham Davies

Graham Davies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:I began my career as a teacher of German and French in secondary education in 1965, moving into higher education in 1971, where I taught German (and also English as a Foreign Language to students training to become professional translators) until 1993. I have been involved in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) since 1976. In 1982 I wrote one of the first introductory books on computers in language learning and teaching, which was followed by numerous other printed and software publications. In 1989 I was conferred with the title of Professor of CALL by the Academic Board of Ealing College of Higher Education (later integrated into Thames Valley University). I retired from full-time teaching in 1993 but I continued to work as a Visiting Professor for Thames Valley University until 2001. I was the Founder President of EUROCALL, holding the post from 1993 to 2000. I am a partner in Camsoft, a CALL software development and consultancy business, which was founded in 1982. I have lectured and run ICT training courses for language teachers in 22 different countries and I sit on a number of national and international advisory boards and committees. I have been actively involved in WorldCALL since 1998 and I currently head a working party that is in the process of setting up WorldCALL as an official organisation that aims to assist countries that are currently underserved in the area of ICT and the teaching and learning of modern foreign languages. I am fluent in German, I speak tolerable French, and I can survive in Italian, Russian and Hungarian. I enjoy golf, skiing, walking my dog (a retired racing greyhound) and travelling. I used to scuba-dive regularly - my last dive was on the Great Barrier Reef in 1998 - but now I just swim at my local fitness centre.

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:14 PM

I found the monkey chants disgusting. We used to hear them in this country - but this does not happen so often now. The England team should have walked off.

#4 Chris McKie

Chris McKie

Experienced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Current affairs and good old fashioned political debate, football (especially Queen of the South and Scotland) and cricket.

Posted 18 November 2004 - 08:20 PM

Like many people I was shocked by the racial abuse experienced by black footballers playing in Madrid last night. This is something that does not happen in Britain now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After a similar incident at the U21 match the previous night, I can't say the racist chanting came as a complete surprise. Incidents like this have sadly been commonplace in some countries in eastern Europe during recent matches involving England and Arsenal. I seem to recall Ashely Cole and Emile Heskey being on the receiving end of some abuse when England played Slovakia recently. As an interesting aside, Ashley Cole was recently asked what his favourite country was. His reply was: "I'd have to say Spain. That was one of the first holidays that I could afford. Plus it is always really hot every time I've been. I've been with my family and my mum and my brother - we've always gone back to the same place." I wonder if he now regards Spain in such a good light. I for one could not blame him if he does not given the sickening chants from sections of the Spanish support last night.

Fining offending countries has been tried in the past, but it does not seem to be having much impact at a European level. Perhaps the England team should have marched off in protest. That would certainly have aroused some media opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users