The Education Forum

Was it Louie Steven Witt after all?

Ron Ecker

Consider this display on Louie Steven Witt and UM by Jerry Organ:

wittdisplay.jpg

In looking at the blow-up of the Grant photo, I have to admit that UM could have well been Witt, as Witt claimed. The Bronson image is also consistent with Witt.

It is the Bothun photo in which UM in profile seems to look remarkably like Gordon Novel. But bear in mind how blurred the Bothun image is, and the fact that UM in Bothun does not seem to resemble UM in Grant. Which is the clearer and therefore more dependable image?

UM in Bothun also seems to have a cowlick just like the one in Novel’s profile photo. But I’m not sure that the “cowlick” in Bothun is really a cowlick or part of the blurred background, i.e. an optical illusion.

In short, based particularly on the Grant image, I’m willing to accept UM as Witt, a non-conspirator. And if it was Witt, by association it is therefore probable, IMO, that DCM was also a non-conspirator, i.e. a local black man and not necessarily Latino. They simply sat down together. They were not, after all, the only ones sitting or lying down at the time.

The main problem with Witt being UM is Witt’s HSCA testimony, which is inconsistent with the photographic evidence in terms of UM’s actions. This is indeed problematic. FWIW here is how Organ has attempted to explain this:

"Critics note Witt said he didn't see 'the President shot or his movements' because Witt was preoccupied walking towards the sidewalk and raising up the umbrella. Photographs show the Umbrella Man was already stationed on the sidewalk with a raised umbrella, and thus a clear view of the approaching motorcade. But consider the dynamics of the moment, such as the possibility that the first and second loud reports diverted Witt's attention towards the Depository as the President neared.

"Recall that Witt was in the Plaza to protest against the President — at the last moment, Witt could have seen the Secret Service agents and Mrs. Kennedy, realized the absurdity of his silly protest, and just couldn't face the President. Years later, he would not be able to recall the exact sequence."

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/organ3.htm

Ron

Consider this display on Louie Steven Witt and UM by Jerry Organ:

wittdisplay.jpg

In looking at the blow-up of the Grant photo, I have to admit that UM could have well been Witt, as Witt claimed. The Bronson image is also consistent with Witt.

It is the Bothun photo in which UM in profile seems to look remarkably like Gordon Novel. But bear in mind how blurred the Bothun image is, and the fact that UM in Bothun does not seem to resemble UM in Grant. Which is the clearer and therefore more dependable image?

UM in Bothun also seems to have a cowlick just like the one in Novel’s profile photo. But I’m not sure that the “cowlick” in Bothun is really a cowlick or part of the blurred background, i.e. an optical illusion.

In short, based particularly on the Grant image, I’m willing to accept UM as Witt, a non-conspirator. And if it was Witt, by association it is therefore probable, IMO, that DCM was also a non-conspirator, i.e. a local black man and not necessarily Latino. They simply sat down together. They were not, after all, the only ones sitting or lying down at the time.

The main problem with Witt being UM is Witt’s HSCA testimony, which is inconsistent with the photographic evidence in terms of UM’s actions. This is indeed problematic. FWIW here is how Organ has attempted to explain this:

"Critics note Witt said he didn't see 'the President shot or his movements' because Witt was preoccupied walking towards the sidewalk and raising up the umbrella. Photographs show the Umbrella Man was already stationed on the sidewalk with a raised umbrella, and thus a clear view of the approaching motorcade. But consider the dynamics of the moment, such as the possibility that the first and second loud reports diverted Witt's attention towards the Depository as the President neared.

"Recall that Witt was in the Plaza to protest against the President — at the last moment, Witt could have seen the Secret Service agents and Mrs. Kennedy, realized the absurdity of his silly protest, and just couldn't face the President. Years later, he would not be able to recall the exact sequence."

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/organ3.htm

Ron

Ron,

The thing I don't understand about Jerry Organ's photo montage is the sequence of photos purportedly showing Witt in 1978. They do not look consistent with the HSCA inverted umbrella laugh-off photo from that same period of time.

Tim

Tim,

The HSCA photo is a frontal shot of him, without glasses. The hair looks similar. I see no reason to assume it's not the same person.

witt.jpg

There should be more than one photo of him from the HSCA hearings, but this is the only one that I know of.

Ron

It looks like Witt. You don't know where the photo was taken? (Ron Ecker)

Hi Ron,

I don't know anything about the photo. It was released by the HSCA I believe and they too wanted to know who it was. This photo was coupled with another of a younger guy with blonde hair. I'll try to dig that one up.

James

• 1 year later...

No, it was not Witt after all.

Wim

Hargraves gets my vote as TUM. Who do you think it was Win?

john

B)

I think that chances are it is Witt, partially because Penn Jones appears to have been tipped off that it was Witt and that is how his name became part of the record in the first place, after that all bets are off. First the manner that the two (UM & DCM) sit down together is inordinately suspicious to say the least, and also because of the photographic sequence which certainly appears to be a walkie talkie in the (Cuban's?) DCM back pocket, which by the way goes back to Jim Hicks who certainly appears to also have one in his back pocket, c'mon guys. Walkie Talkies at the crime scene?

Also "One of the (HSCA) Commissions attorneys asked Witt specifically if he remember(ed) seeing the man with a walkie talkie, this is interesting because no one has ever admitted the possibility of radios in use in Dealey Plaza."

From

http://www.jfk-assassination.com/articles/umbrella.php

After going back and reading some of Penn Jones work, I have come to the conclusion that 'someone may have been feeding him false information on certain aspects of the assassination,' but that is just my opinion. But for the sake of historical accuracy I would take the linkage between Jones 'discovering' Witt was the Umbrella Man with a grain of salt. The matter has not been helped much by the seemingly cavalier manner that Witt's HSCA testimony was taken down...Joking about the Umbrella when it didn't open properly etc...

It looks like Witt. You don't know where the photo was taken? (Ron Ecker)

Hi Ron,

I don't know anything about the photo. It was released by the HSCA I believe and they too wanted to know who it was. This photo was coupled with another of a younger guy with blonde hair. I'll try to dig that one up.

James

Hi James,

The photographs taken in 1978 of Witt were taken in conjunction for an article. The images were exposed

at his work place and Witt was upset and decline the interview. This sequence was published in T.C.I.

john :ph34r:

Hi John,

Nice to see you posting. Thanks for the photo information. BTW, the blonde guy mentioned before is Claude Barnes Capehart. You and I have discussed him before.

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

I have no doubt that Witt, Novel or some of the others mention are TUM. Novel PSE test were

interesting at the time but also very boring. I have copies of these PSE in deep files if that tells

you something:) Capehart was photograph down in Mexico as well as in the plaza. He may have

taken part in the demostration up in Canada, but I will have to recheck as my memory is somwhat

fuzzy. Capehart was connected to Howard Hughes?

thanks

john

:P:ph34r:B)B)

John,

What is "PSE?" Is it a "lie detector" test??

Thanks, Thomas

What is "PSE?" Is it a "lie detector" test??

Some claim PSE (Psychological Stress Evaluation) to be an accessible form of lie detector in that it can be used on tape recordings of vocal statements. It's been almost thirty years, so I may not be completely accurate in this, but I remember a book from the Seventies entitled "The Assassination Tapes" in which a man named George O'Toole evaluated the truthfulness of various recorded interviews regarding the assassination using PSE.

T.C.