The Education Forum

John Liggett and Lois Liggett

If you can post the picture that would be awsome, Has any researchers tried to contact John Liggets ex wife or other relatives for further research on this ?, or was there story pretty much told and nothing more to tell? (Ryan Crowe)

Hi Ryan,

Here's a Liggett comparison. There is obviously many years between the images but I do believe it's the same man.

BTW, my email is not working so I have been unable to contact you. Hopefully I'll get the gremlins out soon.

James

James, Shanet, and Roger,

Are there any photos of Jay Peck?

I've never thought about this aspect of the case, but it sure could lead to some

viable connections as to whom was instrumental in supervising the "first string line of defense" emanating from the Dallas sector of the cover-up. And, being that

"doubles" or "twins" seem to be attributes considered "desirable" to covert ops, it sure would be interesting to see how deep Peck's role in Texas politics went with respect to his cousin Lyndon's career.

Thanks,

Ter

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From tcpalm.com

http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/artic...3741157,00.html

History Channel to answer Vero couple

By Grace Murphy

staff writer

April 30, 2005

VERO BEACH — The History Channel is scheduled to air a statement at 8:30 a.m. Sunday concerning the inclusion of a Vero Beach couple in a 2003 TV series called "The Men Who Killed Kennedy."

The host of the show "History Center" is scheduled to make a statement and read a letter from Malcolm and Suzanne Liggett denying their involvement in an alleged cover-up of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, said Richard Brown, the Liggetts' Vero Beach attorney.

Liggett filed a federal lawsuit against A&E Networks, the company operating The History Channel, claiming one of nine episodes of "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" falsely and negligently tied him to an alleged cover-up and invaded his privacy. The lawsuit focused on an episode called "The Smoking Gun" that aired in November 2003.

A settlement was reached in March but the terms are confidential, according to Brown and The History Channel.

The disputed episode said that Liggett's brother, John, now deceased, was a mortuary worker in Dallas when Kennedy was shot in November 1963. In the episode, a former wife of John Liggett said she thinks her ex-husband used his skills at preparing bodies to do something to Kennedy's corpse.

She also stated Malcolm and John Liggett met in a Corpus Christi, Texas, motel two days after the assassination. Later in the program, a photograph is shown of a man and woman identified as Malcolm Liggett and his wife, Suzanne, standing with Dallas nightclub owner Jack Ruby.

Lee Harvey Oswald was accused of shooting the president. Ruby was found guilty of shooting and killing Oswald.

In the letter scheduled to air Sunday, the Liggetts claim the program made false accusations. They also claim they never met Ruby and were not associated in an assassination conspiracy.

- grace.murphy@scripps.com

I wonder if Malcom and his wife have a lawsuit against John Liggets ex wife? and if there going to say anything about this.....

Interesting Ron, thanks for posting this, I will look for it tomorrow morning..I also wonder if this is going to be something like "Sorry for breaking into the regular scheduled program".... I looked at the History Ch site and didnt see any mention of this..

Edited by Ryan Crowe

The ID of Malcolm Liggett in that photo with Ruby may be in dispute, but we should be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. Brother John Liggett is still a very suspicious character. John was shot to death while in police custody, presumably because he was attempting to escape. He was under suspicion for a string of brutal mutilation-murders in the early 70s. I've been tracking down some leads, but I'm not quite ready to report on these yet. Maybe next week.

Roger

The ID of Malcolm Liggett in that photo with Ruby may be in dispute, but we should be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. Brother John Liggett is still a very suspicious character. John was shot to death while in police custody, presumably because he was attempting to escape. He was under suspicion for a string of brutal mutilation-murders in the early 70s. I've been tracking down some leads, but I'm not quite ready to report on these yet. Maybe next week.

Roger

There are some (can't give names, sorry) who think that this one hour episode was the real reason the three hours of TMWKK were cencored. It was certainly an incredible hour.

I wonder if after Lady Bird dies the HC will ever be willing to at least sell those three hours again. Probably not. Valenti is very powerful and his daughter is taking over for him, to keep the power.

Dawn

For what it's worth I found all three of those hours very believable. Of course I had long known most of the stuff in the LBJ did it hour. I thought Tuner did a great job.

Ryan, did you watch the program this morning? Anyone? I was still sound asleep.

Ron

Well that was garbage, it was there little letter saying that they have never met Ruby, never was at his club, were part of no conspiracy, and that was not them in that picture.......

I waited 30 minutes to hear 20 seconds of garbage.....

Well that was garbage, it was there little letter saying that they have never met Ruby, never was at his club, were part of no conspiracy, and that was not them in that picture.......

I waited 30 minutes to hear 20 seconds of garbage.....

Sadly, ever since LBJ's people and now Ligget's family have come after History Channel they have totally backed down in airing ANY truth. When they did the "three historians discuss 'The Guilty Men' " segment it was total bullcrap. Did not address the EVIDENCE in the least, only trashed Barr. None of the allegations in this hour were even alluded to. HC has joined in with the other media. Goes to show how powerful these conspiratorial bastards were and still are.

JOHN LIGGETT and the murder of LBJ look-alike, JAY BERT PECK

On Tuesday, March 27, 1974, 44-year-old Dorothy A. Peck of 1202 Melrose in Garland, Texas, staggered from her home and asked a neighbor to summon police and firemen. She had been brutally beaten and a fire had been started from clothing stuffed beneath her bed. Her bed had been destroyed and her bedroom scorched before firemen doused the flames. She had been left for dead, but she survived to identified her assailant. From her hospital bed, she identified John Melvin Liggett as the man who had accompanied her home from a bar the night before, attacked her with a hammer, and set fire to her bed.

Curiously, approximately 5 years earlier on July 5, 1969, Jay Bert Peck, of the same Garland address and presumably Mrs. Peck husband (although he was nearly 30 years her senior), was murdered at the same location. Mrs. Peck heard a shot in the bedroom, rushed in and found Peck in bed with a bullet wound in his head. He was rushed to Parkland Hospital where he died 12 hours later. Peck, a cousin of Lyndon Johnson, and an LBJ look-alike, achieved a certain degree of notoriety impersonating the president. He made appearances at parties and political functions. He even had a small part in Dean Martin’s Matt Helm movie, The Wrecking Crew, in which he appeared as the president.

After Liggett’s arrest, police started looking into possible Liggett involvement in several unsolved murders. Susan Thompson Payne, a 41-year-old women was found dead in a fire-gutted North Dallas apartment on February 10, 1974. Her body had been mutilated and sexually abused. There were several other fire-related murders in the Dallas area in the early 70s and Liggett was a prime suspect.

All of the above information is in the public domain, in Harrison Livingstone’s book, “Killing Kennedy”, in contemporary newspaper accounts (Dallas Morning News), and in Nigel Turner’s TV show. Here are some unanswered questions:

· Was John Melvin Liggett part of a witness elimination program as claimed by Harrison Livingstone in “Killing Kennedy”?

· It seems very likely the Liggett did try to kill Mrs. Peck. Did he also murder Jay Bert Peck? Did Peck know something and was that what got him killed? Did he tell his wife and was that the reason an attempt was made on her life? Is there any significance to the fact the Peck was a relative of LBJ? Or is this just another one of those coincidences that keep cropping up in this case?

· What did the other murder victims know?

· As reported by Livingstone, Larry Howard of the Assassination Information Center was looking into this case in 1993 when he had two strokes and died. Is there a connection?

· What does Billie Sol Estes know about this case? He’s been shopping the story around.

Thanks to Walt Brown for providing several key leads.

Here are some photos that may be of interest to readers of this forum:

Jay Bert Peck appeared in the Dean Martin Matt Helm film, “The Wreaking Crew.” He was paid $1,000 for this brief appearance and is credited in the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com) as J.B. Pick. Even though it’s only a shot from the rear, the resemblance is quite striking.

Here is a publicity shot for the film. This picture appeared in Newsweek, August 5, 1968. The lovely lady on the left is Elke Sommer, one of the stars of the film.

This is a photo of Jay Bert Peck that was printed with his obituary in the Dallas Morning News, July 6, 1969.

Here’s a picture of John Melvin Liggett printed in the Dallas Morning News on March 31, 1974 after his arrest for the attempted murder of Dorothy Peck.

[Roger

Great Facts and Pictures!

Thanks for the new material.Two comments

It shows a steady degradation of Liggets mind, the 1974 attack and the sexual rage cases seem to be linked to his anxiety on the heels of 11/22/63 and the clean up through 1969. By the mid 1970s He wanted to be caught, thought himselves to be invincible, etc., and all of this is the stress of killing people, like JAY BERT PECK, but the life altering experience of prying the the parietal bone up out of Kennedy's temple, reconstructing the forehead )forward entry wound and generally digging lead out of the dead President.

Ligget's death was a classic switcheroo protection program program.

His own wife and daughter finger him working in Las Vegas AFTER his death......

He may be still out there (creepy thought)

To me the Carousel group, Ruby and the Liggets, show the agencies willingness to engage petty criminals to get there domestic work done and maintain some deniability.

They would use these guys, they would rise in a bourgeouise capital society no questions asked, the stress would get too much and the violent and suggestible personality which the agencies liked when they were young later will drive them deeper into irrational behavior, the arson of 1974, in this case.

In other words the murder of JAY BERT PECK in 1969 was policy, but the fire was just pure sociopathic breakdown, which is the natural social penalty for government domestic programs that used these guys

Ligget, Liggett and Ruby had abig inpact on Lois Liggett and I see no reason to call her a xxxx now, I think she showed civic courage when she appeared and really could not have made it up....strong women appeared on TMWKK to tell the truth, thirty years on.

Thanks to Walt Brown for providing several key leads.

Roger:

What leads did Walt provide? I just had an email exchange with him on this subject to see if he thought Pert may have impersonated LBJ on 11/21/63 and he did not think this had occurred.

thanks,

Dawn

Walt provided the leads for the Newsweek photo and the Dean Martin film.

I have not seen any evidence showing that Peck impersonated LBJ at the time of the assassination. If you know of any, I'll be interested in seeing it. The fact that he looked like LBJ might be a red herring. What he knew might have been more important than what he looked like.

Roger

Edited by Roger Fong

226.jpg

I do remember reading a story about liggett some months back it was on a forum  which was for  "Embalmers"

They would disscuss there jobs and the tricks of the trade..

There was an interesting discussion on there which related to ligget , when i tried to access the site a couple of weeks later it had dissapeared.

I don't remember much about the conversation, they said how he was the best at his trade and a very dangerous individual.

A couple of years ago Denis Morisette had a thread on Lancer (I searched and it's no longer there) in which he included e-mail correspondence that he had with a Dallas mortician named Daniel Rocco-Rusk.

Isn't Denis also a member of this forum? If so, perhaps he could reproduce the thread for us. I have a printed copy of it, which includes the following statement by Rocco-Rusk about John Liggett:

"1. He frequented the Carousel Club and Campisi's Egyptian (Italian) Restaurant. 2. John had an attitude that he had a license to do anything he chose to do. 3. John was out killing women at night when he was supposed to be at the funeral home."

Ron

• 6 years later...

J. Bert Peck shows up in the 1920 census as a 19-year-old son of Richard Teal and Emma Johnson Peck of Dallas Co., TX. Emma's father was Robert Pleasant Johnson, and her mother was Nancy Ann Thomas Johnson, born about 1850 in Georgia. In 1930 J. Bert was married to Lillian S. Peck, and they lived at 3103 Spurlock St. in Dallas with a seven-year-old daughter Eloise M. Peck. His listed his profession as superintendent, farm gravel. I haven't been able to connect his mother to the Lyndon Johnson family, however.