The Education Forum

Questions for Marina Oswald

Tim Gratz

Suggest your questions, please.

Here are several possibilities:

1) Does she still stand by her statements to the effect that, when she was with Oswald in 1963, he was home virtually every night?

2) Did she know or does she know Kerry Thornley?

3) Follow up to #2. How does she react to the handful of witnesses who put Marina in the company of Thornley, one going so far as to say that she thought Thornley was Marina's husband based on the number of times she saw them together?

4) What was her reaction to Oswald's arrest in August of 1963? Does she have any specific recollection as to how he got of jail on the 10th?

5) Does she have any recollection of Oswald visiting Baton Rouge?

6) According to Ruth Kloepfer, Oswald openly hit on Ruth with a pregnant Marina watching (right before their return to Dallas). Does Marina recall this? How did she react?

7) Gus Russo reported that Oswald's rooming house "mates" recall that he was driven to and from the rooming house consistently. This, according to Russo, is an unidentified person not Frazier. Does Marina have any idea about this? Did Oswald ever talk about this?

8) Did Oswald talk about returning to the Soviet Union in Aug-September of 63 or anytime after?

9) A very bizarre question: did Lee ever shave his pubic hair? I ask only because his autopsy report describes shaven pubic hair.

10) Did she ever suspect that Oswald may have been bisexual?

--- Hopefully Greg Parker will chime in with a couple of questions regarding Jon Pic. I don't want to scoop him ---

-Stu

It is doubtful that Marina knows anything in regards to the "shaven" pubic hair.

This was done after capture and portions of the hair was transmitted to the FBI laboratory.

See the WC testimony of Paul Strombaugh if one wishes to follow the "Pubic Hair" line of investigation.

It is noteworthy that Strombaugh had some comments about the "nature" of the pubic hair.

Tom

I read Stombaugh’s testimony. He found some of Oswald’s pubic hairs on the blanket that the rifle was wrapped in in Ruth Paine’s garage. Unfortunately, in reading this testimony, I learned more about pubic hairs (particularly Oswald’s) than I really wanted to know. For example:

Mr. STOMBAUGH. . . . Pubic hairs ordinarily are rather thick. Oswald's hairs were relatively narrow. Pubic hairs also have what we term nobbiness. You can see a nob right here, it is twisted----

Mr. EISENBERG. Could you circle that with a pen, and mark it "A" on chart 672?

And this:

Mr. STOMBAUGH. . . . The tips of Oswald's pubic hairs were not worn. . . . This would indicate to me that his pubic hairs were rather strong, much tougher than the average persons.

If nothing else, I think that Stombaugh’s commendable work on Oswald’s pubic hairs is in sharp contrast to, and a further reflection on, the investigative skills of Jim Garrison, who we’ve been told “couldn’t find a pubic hair in a whorehouse.”

1) Does she still stand by her statements to the effect that, when she was with Oswald in 1963, he was home virtually every night?

3) Follow up to #2. How does she react to the handful of witnesses who put Marina in the company of Thornley, one going so far as to say that she thought Thornley was Marina's husband based on the number of times she saw them together?

4) What was her reaction to Oswald's arrest in August of 1963? Does she have any specific recollection as to how he got of jail on the 10th?

6) According to Ruth Kloepfer, Oswald openly hit on Ruth with a pregnant Marina watching (right before their return to Dallas). Does Marina recall this? How did she react?

7) Gus Russo reported that Oswald's rooming house "mates" recall that he was driven to and from the rooming house consistently. This, according to Russo, is an unidentified person not Frazier. Does Marina have any idea about this? Did Oswald ever talk about this?

8) Did Oswald talk about returning to the Soviet Union in Aug-September of 63 or anytime after?

9) A very bizarre question: did Lee ever shave his pubic hair? I ask only because his autopsy report describes shaven pubic hair.

--- Hopefully Greg Parker will chime in with a couple of questions regarding Jon Pic. I don't want to scoop him ---

-Stu

It is doubtful that Marina knows anything in regards to the "shaven" pubic hair.

This was done after capture and portions of the hair was transmitted to the FBI laboratory.

See the WC testimony of Paul Strombaugh if one wishes to follow the "Pubic Hair" line of investigation.

It is noteworthy that Strombaugh had some comments about the "nature" of the pubic hair.

Tom

Tom,

Mr. EISENBERG. And what type of debris did you find, Mr. Stombaugh?

Mr. STOMBAUGH. I found numerous foreign textile fibers of various types and colors, as well as a number of limb and pubic hairs.

Mr. EISENBERG. Did you draw any conclusions as to those hairs upon your initial examination of them?

Mr. STOMBAUGH. Yes; I did. They all had originated from a person of the Caucasian race and I compared these hairs with hair samples obtained from Harvey Oswald----

Mr. EISENBERG. That is Lee Harvey Oswald?

Mr. STOMBAUGH. That is, Lee Harvey Oswald, and I found that of the limb and pubic hairs I removed from the blanket, several matched Oswald's in all observable microscopic characteristics and could have originated from Oswald.

At the time Oswald was taken to the hospital, both his pubic region and chest were clean shaven - thus it was not done for the autopsy. Opinion of medical people I have asked is that it is highly improbable it was done prior to emergency surgury at Parkland.

The taking of samples for forensic analysis would not necessitate complete shaving. Either the DPD shaved him for some other reason, or he was already in that state when arrested - if the latter, it seems it was not Oswald's samples matched against ones allegedly found on blanket.

-Stu

Tom

Tom,

Mr. EISENBERG. And what type of debris did you find, Mr. Stombaugh?

Mr. STOMBAUGH. I found numerous foreign textile fibers of various types and colors, as well as a number of limb and pubic hairs.

Mr. EISENBERG. Did you draw any conclusions as to those hairs upon your initial examination of them?

Mr. STOMBAUGH. Yes; I did. They all had originated from a person of the Caucasian race and I compared these hairs with hair samples obtained from Harvey Oswald----

Mr. EISENBERG. That is Lee Harvey Oswald?

Mr. STOMBAUGH. That is, Lee Harvey Oswald, and I found that of the limb and pubic hairs I removed from the blanket, several matched Oswald's in all observable microscopic characteristics and could have originated from Oswald.

At the time Oswald was taken to the hospital, both his pubic region and chest were clean shaven - thus it was not done for the autopsy. Opinion of medical people I have asked is that it is highly improbable it was done prior to emergency surgury at Parkland.

The taking of samples for forensic analysis would not necessitate complete shaving. Either the DPD shaved him for some other reason, or he was already in that state when arrested - if the latter, it seems it was not Oswald's samples matched against ones allegedly found on blanket.

I had recalled that Strombaugh had compared the hairs to ones taken from LHO.

Considering how "mean & vile" most think the FBI to be, they probably held LHO down and yanked them out one at a time.

All 10,000 of them.

There is also of course another potential reason for such as this. History tells us that collection of samples of hair from "Famous" persons has been a common idea for centuries.

How much $$$$$ would you pay for one of LHO's pubic hairs were it to show up on ebay?

Tom

Considering that in, I believe it was 1990, in Dealy Plaza at approximately 3:00 AM, I had to call the Dallas Police and report an individual in a trench coat that had strolled up to the corner of the TSDB and thereafter removed a small rock hammer from his coat and started breaking off pieces of brick from the building, I would never put it past anyone as to what they will do for a souvenier.

• 2 weeks later...
Some points that need discussing:

((2) Marina claimed that on 12th April, 1963, Oswald attempted to assassinate General Edwin Walker. Marina reported that she "asked him what happened, and he said that he just tried to shoot General Walker. I asked him who General Walker was. I mean how dare you to go and claim somebody's life, and he said "Well, what would you say if somebody got rid of Hitler at the right time? So if you don't know about General Walker, how can you speak up on his behalf?." Because he told me... he was something equal to what he called him a fascist."

Other evidence suggests that Oswald was not guilty of this shooting attempt. If that is the case, why did Marina claim that it was Oswald who shot at Walker.

(

In his book The OSwald Affair, Leo Sauvage argues that Lee was simply joking when he told Marina that it was he who fired at General Walker. De Mohrenschild also joked about it a few days later. It is true that "other evidence suggests that [Lee] was not guilty of this shooting attempt", thus Sauvage's explanation remains completely plausible.

It is clear that Lee could be quite the jokester - e.g. suggesting that his pregnant wife hijack an airoplane to Cuba - and this comes across in sections of Priscilla McMillan's book and, to a lesser extent, in Legend by Edward Epstein.

I read Stombaugh’s testimony. He found some of Oswald’s pubic hairs on the blanket that the rifle was wrapped in in Ruth Paine’s garage. Unfortunately, in reading this testimony, I learned more about pubic hairs (particularly Oswald’s) than I really wanted to know. For example:

Mr. STOMBAUGH. . . . Pubic hairs ordinarily are rather thick. Oswald's hairs were relatively narrow. Pubic hairs also have what we term nobbiness. You can see a nob right here, it is twisted----

Mr. EISENBERG. Could you circle that with a pen, and mark it "A" on chart 672?

And this:

Mr. STOMBAUGH. . . . The tips of Oswald's pubic hairs were not worn. . . . This would indicate to me that his pubic hairs were rather strong, much tougher than the average persons.

If nothing else, I think that Stombaugh’s commendable work on Oswald’s pubic hairs is in sharp contrast to, and a further reflection on, the investigative skills of Jim Garrison, who we’ve been told couldn’t find a pubic hair in a whorehouse.”“

couldn't find a pubic hair in a whorehouse"

In defence of Garrison, they might have been referring to a Brazilian one.

• 4 years later...
Hey Tim, I would ask if she ever knew a "Pedro Valencia" or "Pedro Gonzales". Jason

I recently came across this rather obscure document, and thought that, to some degree, the point could be made that Deaton and the people associated with making money off of Marina's marraige to Lee Oswald, were not exactly moralists.

1035. Commission Document 1039 - FBI Letterhead Memorandum of 21 May 1964 re: Charles William Deaton

Charles William Deaton has been the subject of several Federal Bureau of Investigation cases wherein he has represented himself as an official of the International Insurance Company of Nassau Limited, Nassau, Bahamas (IICN). In this capacity, he has offered large loans to businessmen for which he has required prepaid commission fees. After receiving some of the prepaid commissions he then drops from negotiations and the deals collapse. Investigation reveals that IICN has never been in a financial position to loan large sums of money. Deaton was indicted on May 15, 1964 by a Grand Jury in the Southern Judicial District of New York and is currently being held in 20,000.00 bond. Incidental to the arrest of Deaton, a small black bag was taken, which contained, among other business papers, the following items:

A copy of a contract dated February 11, 1964, transferring exclusive rights to exploit the Marina N. Oswald story throughout the world, through the media of motion picture and television, from James H. Martin, Manager for Marina N. Oswald to Texitalia Films, Incorporated, signed by Charles R. Lasater, President, C.W. Deaton, Howdy Howard, and George S. Bell, Jr. This contract stipulates a consideration of $75, 000 for this transfer but provides for a more detailed contract within 20 working days. Attached to the aforementioned contract

is a photostat dated December 6, 1963 addressed to Mr. James H. Martin, Dallas, Texas signed by Marina N. Oswald giving Martin Mrs. Oswald's authorization to handle her business and personal affairs.

A letter of agreement dated February 12, 1964, signed Charles R. Lasater, President, C.W. Deaton, George S. Bell, Jr. and Howdy Howard. This letter concerns an agreement between the above-mentioned individuals to attempt to obtain the world-wide rights to movies and television and other public use of the "Marina Oswald Story." The letter was typed on the stationery of Howard and Bell, Realtors, 205 Stemmons Tower, East Dallas, Texas.

A copy of a letter of agreement, undated, signed by Charles R. Lasater, President, C.W. Deaton, Howdy Howard, and George S. Bell, Jr. on February 12, 1964. The letter is an agreement

between the above-mentioned parties to assign and convey for a consideration of $1500, five per cent of the proceeds which may be derived from the Marina Oswald motion picture and television exploitation, to Jack D. Funderburgh

Deaton has described himself as a financier. He indicated he is 38 years of age and resides at 10740 St. Lazare, Dallas, Texas.

Deaton has been arrested several times in the State of Texas for swindle by worthless checks but has never been convicted.

Also See

Commission Document 432 - Materials Submitted by James H. Martin

The Nassau, Bahamas mention also makes one wonder, if perhaps Deaton knew some of the persons associated with organized crime whose names surfaces in regards to the Bahamas, or Tyrall in Jamaica......ie Meyer Lansky, Bebe Rebozo et cetera.

• 3 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?mode=searchResult&absPageId=299958

Martin's failure to provide Marina with a translator before she signed the contracts....

Hey Tim, I would ask if she ever knew a "Pedro Valencia" or "Pedro Gonzales". Jason

I recently came across this rather obscure document, and thought that, to some degree, the point could be made that Deaton and the people associated with making money off of Marina's marraige to Lee Oswald, were not exactly moralists.

1035. Commission Document 1039 - FBI Letterhead Memorandum of 21 May 1964 re: Charles William Deaton

Charles William Deaton has been the subject of several Federal Bureau of Investigation cases wherein he has represented himself as an official of the International Insurance Company of Nassau Limited, Nassau, Bahamas (IICN). In this capacity, he has offered large loans to businessmen for which he has required prepaid commission fees. After receiving some of the prepaid commissions he then drops from negotiations and the deals collapse. Investigation reveals that IICN has never been in a financial position to loan large sums of money. Deaton was indicted on May 15, 1964 by a Grand Jury in the Southern Judicial District of New York and is currently being held in 20,000.00 bond. Incidental to the arrest of Deaton, a small black bag was taken, which contained, among other business papers, the following items:

A copy of a contract dated February 11, 1964, transferring exclusive rights to exploit the Marina N. Oswald story throughout the world, through the media of motion picture and television, from James H. Martin, Manager for Marina N. Oswald to Texitalia Films, Incorporated, signed by Charles R. Lasater, President, C.W. Deaton, Howdy Howard, and George S. Bell, Jr. This contract stipulates a consideration of $75, 000 for this transfer but provides for a more detailed contract within 20 working days. Attached to the aforementioned contract

is a photostat dated December 6, 1963 addressed to Mr. James H. Martin, Dallas, Texas signed by Marina N. Oswald giving Martin Mrs. Oswald's authorization to handle her business and personal affairs.

A letter of agreement dated February 12, 1964, signed Charles R. Lasater, President, C.W. Deaton, George S. Bell, Jr. and Howdy Howard. This letter concerns an agreement between the above-mentioned individuals to attempt to obtain the world-wide rights to movies and television and other public use of the "Marina Oswald Story." The letter was typed on the stationery of Howard and Bell, Realtors, 205 Stemmons Tower, East Dallas, Texas.

A copy of a letter of agreement, undated, signed by Charles R. Lasater, President, C.W. Deaton, Howdy Howard, and George S. Bell, Jr. on February 12, 1964. The letter is an agreement

between the above-mentioned parties to assign and convey for a consideration of $1500, five per cent of the proceeds which may be derived from the Marina Oswald motion picture and television exploitation, to Jack D. Funderburgh

Deaton has described himself as a financier. He indicated he is 38 years of age and resides at 10740 St. Lazare, Dallas, Texas.

Deaton has been arrested several times in the State of Texas for swindle by worthless checks but has never been convicted.

Also See

Commission Document 432 - Materials Submitted by James H. Martin

The Nassau, Bahamas mention also makes one wonder, if perhaps Deaton knew some of the persons associated with organized crime whose names surfaces in regards to the Bahamas, or Tyrall in Jamaica......ie Meyer Lansky, Bebe Rebozo et cetera.

The Killing Game

books.google.com/books?isbn=1609801431

Gary Webb - 2011 - Preview - More editions

Peter Crosby's fortune these days is a trust fund of $104,000, and that trusts has an $8 million IRS lien against it. But Crosby has a history of exaggerating figures. It has landed him in in jail, repeatedly. Crosby, 56, a darkly handsome man with a powerful build, is the black sheep of a well-to-do New York family. His mother once owned the Mary Carter Paint Company. His brother James is president of Resorts International, a firm that owns the main casino in Atlantic City, N.J., and has others in the Bahamas. In 1952, Crosby married a young actress named Denise Darcel and appeared ready to take up the reins of the family fortune. But something happened along the way. Crosby took up the line of work he pursues today: “energy,” he said. In August 1955, he and a man named Larry Rosen took out an ad in the Wall Street Journal, seeking control of a public corporation. Rosen, also known as Paul Lawrence Rosenauch, was identified in Senate testimony as an associate of Anthony Coppola, nephew of Newport, Ky., gangster (Trigger) Mike Coppola. One company that responded to Crosby and Rosen's ad was Texas Adams Oil Co. Within months, Crosby and his group had gained control of Texas Adams, using the company's own money, in a twisted scheme involving stock-for-stock swaps with bogus Crosby corporations. After Crosby was at the helm, he began issuing millions of shares of worthless stock. He was convicted in 1960 of mail and wire fraud and sentenced to five years in jail. Paroled, he was sent back to jail for associating with known criminals.

But Crosby is best known as the man who sold the North Pole. In 1971, Crosby claimed to have acquired the oil rights to millions of acres of frozen saltwater, most of it in the Bering Sea. He transferred his “ownershipof the sea into a shell corporation called Picture Island Computers. He pumped out financial statements showing Picture Island owning the rights to one billion acres of Arctic oil property and valued it at $35 million. Then, Picture Island began issuing millions of shares of stock. Picture Island's balance sheet also listed 5000 acres of California land sold to the company by an Arizona real estate broker named William Davidson. Crosby valued the land, paid for with worthless Picture Island stock, at $3 million. It was part of an Army artillery range. Davidson soon showed up in Chicago with Scripture- quoting con man Alexander Gaus Jr., and the two were exposed by the Illinois Crime Investigating Commission for trying to buy out a bank with Crosby's worthless stock. (Gaus later turned up in Kentucky as head of Frankfort based coal company.) Soon, Picture Island stock began appearing in the hands of swindlers across the nation: as collateral on loans, as stock to be traded for stock in legitimate businesses and, as in the case of Alex Gaus, to be used to buy control of banks and insurance companies. In 1972, a federal grand jury returned conspiracy, mail fraud and securities fraud indictments against Crosby and six other men. Appointed to represent the men was New York attorney Daniel H. Greenberg, the attorney for Mob lord Carmine Tramunti.

But when the trail started, Crosby was nowhere to be found. He was tried in absentia. All of the men were convicted. Crosby popped up in Kentucky, where he was operating under the names Carl Rich and Jim Ross. Kentucky authorities were tipped off by a conscientious phone company employee named Bernard Hill. Hill, manager of Mountain Rural Bell in West Liberty, Ky., said Crosby gave him a $500 check to set up phone service for a Crosby company called First Kentucky Coal and Mineral. The check bounced, Hill said. “We cut off his phone service, and he came down to the office just madder than hell. We've got a lot of shysters and crooks that moved down here with the coal boom, but this man was unusual. He wasn't like anything I'd ever seen here in the mountains before,” Hill said. When Crosby threatened to sue Hill for $1 million, Hill called the Kentucky Division of Securities. “They were very interested,” he recalled. Crosby and Steve Broady, a disbarred New York attorney, were arrested in December 1973, at the Stamper Motel in West Liberty. Crosby was packed off to the federal prison in Lexington for two years, and Broady was charged with harboring a federal fugitive. The charges were later dropped, Broady said. “Broady's got some sort of immunity. He used to be a CIA agent,” said Marvin Stone, a disbarred Toronto attorney and associate of Crosby. Broady, 76, denied any CIA connections. Broady said he was in Kentucky with Crosby “to keep him out of trouble and, if you know his record, you know that's a very hard thing to do. I had no financial interest in his Kentucky operation because interest in his business means trouble.” When the two men were arrested and authorities looked at the personal papers they had on them, they found the names of

numerous coal brokers and coal companies. Crosby had coal dealings, The Kentucky Post discovered, with many of the same men believed by investigators to be part of a nationwide network of confidence men and organized crime figures. A confidential police intelligence report states: “Crosby is thought to be the head of a group of known swindlers who have attempted to fraudulently obtain coal mining operations and properties in eastern Kentucky (through) the use of fraudulent certificates of deposit in foreign banks, bogus coal purchase contracts, misrepresentations of their financial positions and fraudulent loans.” “That's not my style,” Crosby retorted. But Crosby's coal associates include: 1. Sam Clifford Gilbert, convicted of manslaughter in Perry County in 1967 and later foreman of THC Mining Inc., a contract miner for Bill Harvey Johnson's Upper Elkhorn Coal Co. Johnson was murdered in 1975. Gilbert's name and phone number was found in Crosby's possession. “Gilbert's name rings a bell,” Crosby allowed.

2. Alexander Dandy, head of Cleveland Financial Services, an affiliate of the Mob-controlled Northern Ohio Bank, which collapsed in 1975. Dandy, convicted of transporting stolen money after the bank, had attempted to get Bill Harvey a $1 million loan. “Dandy tried to get me some loans,” Crosby said.

3. Alan Zalk, a Los Angeles man with a record of securities violations. Zalk is also a director of Appalachian Energy and Coal Co., Jenkins, Ky. According to New Orleans police, that firm is controlled by Tony Braxton. Another director of Appalachian Energy is Ben Harvey of Sanger, Tex. Harvey and Tony Braxton are friends, Kronquist said, adding that Harvey was office manager for Atco Inc., the company Gaus worked for when he was released from prison. Ben Harvey is also a close associate of Peter Francis Crosby. Crosby told The Kentucky Post, “I gave Ben Harvey money, helped him with his expenses.” The incorporator of Appalachian Energy was Sam Clifford Gilbert, a Jenkins, Ky., man convicted of manslaughter in Perry County in 1967. At the time of of his arrest, Gilbert said he was employed by Odom Construction Co. in Tennessee, owned by Hugh Odom. Odom's name and phone number appear in First Central Holding Co.'s address book. Sam Gilbert's name and phone number were found in Crosby's possession when Crosby was arrested in Pineville, Ky., in December 1973. Asked if he knew Gaus, Crosby replied: “The name rings a bell, but I've never met him. He's with the church, isn't he?” Gaus was operating his notorious Church of Christ Manors fraud at the same time he was attempting to buy a Chicago bank using Crosby's phony stock. Gaus said; “I think Peter Crosby is a myth. I have never met the gentleman.” First Central Holding Co. of Kentucky fell apart in late 1975, when Kronquist walked out on Gaus when they argued over a coal analysis report. “The report had been forged, and that's when I decided I wanted out,” Kronquist said. Kronquist is now dealing real estate with Tony Braxton in Dallas. Linnenbrink said a similar incident prompted him to distrust Gaus. “I went and checked around about that 35 million ton contract he said Atco had, and I found out the contract didn't even exist. “Then I had the Citizens Union Bank in Lexington run a check on First Central, and they told me they couldn't get any type of picture at all. It was all cloudy and nebulous,” Linnenbrink said. He said his dealings with Gaus cost him $30,000 in

expenses. Gaus said he left Kentucky soon after Konquist did. He went to Dallas and set up First Central Holding Co. of Texas in May 1976. The incorporator was Gaus' longtime friend and purported Christian Brother, Archibald Barnhill, a Dallas CPA.

Two months after Barnhill incorporated Gaus' company, Barnhill was permanently enjoined from securities practice by the SEC for his part in a fraud involving a “secret” process to extract pure silver from low-grade ore. Barnhill's co-defendant in that hoax was Charles W. Deaton, a con man who gained notoriety for his involvement in a scheme that bilked Vietnam POWs out of their back pay with phony revenue bonds. A federal appeals court called the bond fraud “vicious and brutal. It is difficult to imagine how anyone could conceive a more diabolical scheme. Also convicted in the revenue bond racket was Garet Van Antwerp, the Mobile, Ala., attorney Gaus said was the German consul who “validated” questionable debentures for Gaus' First Central in 1972. Deaton and Peter Francis Crosby were charged with bank fraud in 1978 in connection with a coal company called TriState Energy, Inc. of Whitesburg, Ky. Crosby was acquitted, and Deaton was not tried, but is serving a 55-year sentence in Texas for the silver ore hoax with Barnhill. When Gaus popped up in Texas with the “new” First Central Holding Co., Lowell Robinson, the Prestonsburg, Ky., coal broker who signed the First Central debentures, reappeared also. Robinson introduced Gaus to Walt Aeschliman of

of Bluffton, Ind., and they formed the Central Investment Trust, a tax shelter program which promised investors they could take $12,000 and turn it into $84,000 through coal investments and tax.....

The Fountain Pen Conspiracy - Page 122

6]

books.google.com/books?id=028EAAAAMAAJ

- 1973 -According to a credit report,
Crosby was
a principal not only in Picture Island
but
also in Computeresources Corp., Photo Mark
The Picture Island
trial
, held in New York, lasted from May 1 to June 9, 1972.
Greenberg, who was chief attorney for the six defendants ( and also the attorney for Mafia boss
Carmine Tramunti
).

https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/381/381.F2d.114.477.31147_1.html

381 F.2d 114

UNITED STATES of America, Appellee,

v.

Charles W. DEATON, Appellant.

No. 477, Docket 31147.

United States Court of Appeals Second Circuit.

Argued June 8, 1967.

Decided July 28, 1967.

Charles J. Fanning, Asst. U.S. Atty., Southern Dist. of New York (Robert M. Morgenthau, U.S. Atty., and David M. Dorsen, Asst. U.S. Atty., Southern District of New York, on the brief), for appellee.

Archibald Palmer, New York City, for appellant.

Before MOORE, FRIENDLY and ANDERSON, Circuit Judges.

ANDERSON, Circuit Judge:

Verdicts of guilty were returned by a jury on both counts of an indictment against Charles W. Deaton, charging him in the first count with fraud committed through interstate communication by wire, 18 U.S.C. 1343,1 and in the second count with interstate transportation of fraudulently obtained money, 18 U.S.C. 2314.2 Judgments of conviction were accordingly entered from which Deaton appeals.

There was evidence from which the following facts could have been found. The appellant held himself out as the Executive Secretary-Treasurer of International Insurance Company of Nassau, Ltd. In early 1964 he entered into negotiations with one Edward Johnson concerning a mortgage loan of$900,000 to be made by International to the Golden Mortgage & Investment Company, a joint venture composed of Johnson, Robert Pribble, and Harold Dragoo, which planned to use the borrowed funds for the acquisition and improvement of land in Colorado. The appellant demanded a fee of 3% Upon delivery of the written loan commitment and 3% At the closing. He agreed, however, to Johnson's request that only 1% ($9,000) be paid on the date of the commitment and that the balance of $18,000 be paid a few days later. This arrangement was made so that Johnson could pay the $18,000 on behalf of the Golden Company from a fee he expected to receive as a broker upon the closing of another loan by International to be made on April 27, 1964 to one C.E. Jesiop.

On April 24th in New York City, the appellant purported to commit International to make the $900,000 loan on May 20th; and he then demanded the first $9,000 installment on his fee. Johnson gave him a check for $1,000 in New York, and Pribble and Dragoo wired $7,968.39 from Colorado that same day. It was this telegraphic transfer of funds, inducted by appellant's representations and received by him at the Western Union office in the Empire State Building in New York City, which was the basis for the charges in the indictment. The Government sought to prove at the trial that on April 24th the appellant had no intention of completing a loan from International to the Golden Company because he knew that International could not and would not make it; and in fact no such loan was ever made......