The Education Forum

Madrid Bombing

John Simkin

A string of blasts has hit three Madrid train stations during the rush hour with latest reports speaking of at least 131 people killed.

Spain's government has blamed Basque separatist group ETA for the attacks which come ahead of Sunday's elections.

However, I doubt very much if ETA carried out this attack. They have no history of attacking civilians.

It seems to me much more likely to have been an attack by terrorists campaigning against the Spanish government’s support for the invasion of Iraq. I fear that in time the same kind of attack will be seen in London and New York.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in London last week. You can't find a litter bin at any station...

It seems to me much more likely to have been an attack by terrorists campaigning against the Spanish government’s support for the invasion of Iraq. I fear that in time the same kind of attack will be seen in London and New York.

The Islamic terrorist murdered and tried to intimidate western societies before the “invasion of Iraq”. Just remember Bali bombing where over 200 young peoples were slaughter when enjoying themselves. And before Afghan War and “invasion of Iraq” Islamist bombed embassies in Tanzania and Kenya causing a death of many innocents.

The war between Islamist and “us“ has been on for a quite a time now.

Some people really do have short memories. Shall you blame all the future terror from now on on “invasion of Iraq”?

Certainly none can bless the invasion in Iraq!

Neverthless the many massacres around the world, the "powerful" little men have non learnt the lesson.At the end iare the humble people who pay for the thirst of power and of profit.

The huge amount of money spent for army shoul be usefully used to build civilization, industries, for training people to get competences in the several subjects or aspects of social life.

Without any evidence (understandably they do not know who was responsible) Osama Bin Laden as well as ETA have been blamed...

The bombings will benefit the right more than anyone else. They will be used as an excuse (as if they ever needed one!) to oppress the Basque people. They have already tried to use them in a totally cynical way to solicit votes and political support. Other governments internationally will use them as a retrospective justification for their own acts of violence. They will be used as a justification for imprisonment without trial and the torture of suspects.

This terrorist attack is condemned by people who are genuinely concerned for the victims. It is also condemned loudly by people who are speaking from sheer hypocrisy. What they call terrorism when someone else does it they call "shock and awe" when they do it themselves. What they call an attack on civilians when someone else does it they call a "legitimate military target" when they do it themselves.

I guess since the time of the crusades??? A dangerously sweeping statement I fear Dalibor.

There is actually no clear evidence coming out of Madrid tonight as to who was responsible for the appalling acts perpetrated earlier today.

Interestingly politicians and indeed posters on this forum attach a meaning to the events which best fits their own particular ideology.

For my part I feel first and foremost for a country and people dear to my heart.

Until there is more concrete evidence, this is a time for expressions of sympathy and solidarity rather than blame. We have suffered from the same kind of ruthless terrorism in the UK and Ireland for a very long time, and there are many families here who know exactly how the relatives of the victims in Spain feel right now. Let us hope and pray that whoever is to blame is brought swiftly to justice.

Actually the war with Islam and its pretension of world domination has been going on from before the crusades... The war has been going on since the Islamic hordes came out of Arabia, conquered by the sword the Middle East and the Maghreb and were stopped by the French at Poitiers...

Since then the crusades have been a counter-attack... The one in the Middle Esat failed, but the ones in Spain, the Balkan and Russia succeeded...

I guess some have no idea of the real history!

Some people really do have short memories. Shall you blame all the future terror from now on on “invasion of Iraq”?

Who is “us”? Are al-Qaeda targeting people in Sweden? As long as your army does not start invading Muslim countries I think you are safe from the attacks suffered by the people of Madrid yesterday. If you want to become “us” I suggest you campaign for Sweden to join the coalition forces in Iraq.

It is true that it is pure speculation about who carried out such attacks. This has not stopped the Spanish government claiming it is the work of ETA. They have good reason to want their people to believe that is the case.

The vast majority of the Spanish public were opposed to their country being involved in the invasion of Iraq. Many warned that it would lead to terrorist attacks in Spain. Therefore it is not in the interests of the Spanish government to admit that it was al-Qaeda before Sunday’s election.

There are several indications that the bombing in Madrid was the work of al-Qaeda.

(1) A stolen van had been found in a town near Madrid containing seven detonators and a tape recording of Koranic verses. Four of the trains involved in the attacks passed through the town.

(2) A London-based Arabic newspaper, Al-Quds, has also said it had received an e-mail in which a group linked to al-Qaeda reportedly said it carried out the attacks. The message said a group called the Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades had attacked "America's ally in its war against Islam" on behalf of al-Qaeda.

(3) It is not in the interests of ETA to carry out attacks on innocent civilians (especially those travelling in from a working class area of Madrid). ETA is a Marxist organizations that is attempting to persuade left-wing politicians in Spain to give them an independent state. This bombing will only help the right in Sunday’s elections. If ETA did carry out this bombing they have committed political suicide.

I guess some have no idea of the real history!

This "real" history being I assume interpretations of the past which meet with your approval? :unsure:

Back on topic John makes some very interesting points on how atrocities like this are used by politicians to justify their actions.

I fear also that those with even less sense than politicians will use the latest one to justify further incitement to racial hatred :o

First thing first...

Islam isn't a "race" so call against Islam cannot be assimilated to "racial hatred"...

As to strict control of the immigration and refugees from muslim countries, well I am all for it!

To the point that I, still a French citizen, am considering voting for Jean-Marie Le Pen... He is the only polician that makes sense on the issues... A pity that the others don't see that!

France is in the mess it is in because of the laws of Mitterand that gave citizenship to any child born illegally in France! This opened the door to unassimilable people who only leave off welfare to stay in France!

To the point that I, still a French citizen, am considering voting for Jean-Marie Le Pen... He is the only polician that makes sense on the issues...  A pity that the others don't see that!

I am very disappointed to hear that you are considering something quite so simplistic as the Nazi response to the complicated problems of the modern world.

The Madrid bombing is one more piece of solid evidence of the hatred being shown to western democractic countries. IT is time to take unified and concerted action against all acts of terrorism. Israel has been isolated, blamed and unjustly attacked by the UN...terrorism against its citizens have been ignored or justified. It has now become clear that the suicide bombings in Israel have just been the first chapter and a warning to the rest of the world. No country is safe.

IT is time to take unified and concerted action against all acts of terrorism. Israel has been isolated, blamed and unjustly attacked by the UN...terrorism against its citizens have been ignored or justified

A lot of Europeans believe that they can make a burnt-offering of the Jews and then they'll live in peace. It won't happen. But in order to see that, you have to open your eyes