The Education Forum

Some more coincidences

John Dolva

Some coincidences that I wouldn't mind getting into perspective.

"Banister, Singelmann, Donnels. It is not always fair to judge a lawyer by his clients. However, in this case, Hennessey made his own statement as president of the subtly named White Educational Association. In an announcement for an August 1960 meeting, it was promised that Hennessey would "discuss possible action to be taken to keep the New Orleans Public Schools open and segregated." (NOTP; August 10, 1960; s1, p9) A few days later, the White Educational Association sponsored a meeting which featured GNOCC chairman, Emmett Lee Irwin, as a speaker. (NOTP; August 25, 1960; s1, p26)

Banister's positions attracted the backing of the chairman of the Citizens' Council of Gentilly, Louis Pennington Davis, Jr. (NOTP; March 19, 1961; s 1, p 21) The Gentilly Council was a subunit of the larger Citizens' Council of Greater New Orleans (referred to as GNOCC). Davis had been involved since the inception of GNOCC in 1956 (NOTP; January 27, 1956; p 13) Leander Perez was a member of the board. Other members of the Gentilly section were Robert L. Hickerson and George L. Singelmann, usually identified as an assistant to Perez (NOTP; March 4, 1956; p 28). Perez himself spoke at an early meeting of the Gentilly Council in 1956. His topic was the "menace" of the Supreme Court. (NOTP; March 10, 1956; p 2)

Davis made his position on the NAACP clear: "a small group of Russian Jews with known Communist ties is procuring the vast amounts of money being 'poured into NAACP activities.'" (NOTP; August 5, 1956; p 2)

In 1961, Davis and Singelmann held forth on CORE: 'No less than 13 members of its national advisory board belong to numerous organizations that have been cited for their Communist front activities. The avowed purpose of this organization is to create incidents and excite people to violence. If their objective is successful, the South and the nation will be a seething mass of racial strife and violence.' (NOTP; June 3, 1961; S 3, p 20)

During the Ole Miss crisis in 1962, Davis sent the following telegram to General Edwin Walker: "You called for ten thousand volunteers nationwide for Mississippi's fight against Federal tyranny. Will pledge ten thousand from Louisiana alone under your command." (NOTP; September 28, 1962; S 3, p 2)"

"In August 1961, one John Burkman, residing at 535 baseline Road, Northvile, Michigan, and who is employed as a sales representative for the Richmond Arms Company, Blissfield, Michigan, was approached by one William Newton and a Lt. General (FNU) Osborne. William Newton, allegedly residing at Miami, Oklahoma, was suspected of being a leader of a Cuban movement but was a person who stayed in the background. The Customs file did not reflect information on Lt. General Osborne. Newton and Osborne requested that Burkman attempt to obtain 10,000 M-1 rifles for an anti-Castro revolution."

In August 1961, Johnson was in Sweden. Apart from attending Dag Hammarshold's funeral he met with Swedish Americans.

"Bernard Weissman was born on 1st November, 1937. After graduating from Edison Technical High School in Mount Vernon in June, 1956, he went to work for the Nuclear Development Corporation as an experimental machinist. He the moved to New Jersey where he was employed as a sales manager.

In August, 1961, Weissman joined the U.S. Army and served in Germany where he met Larrie Schmidt. The two men shared an interest in right-wing politics and were both supporters of the John Birch Society. While in Germany the two men discussed the possibility of establishing a right-wing political group when they returned to the United States.

Weissman was discharged in August 1963 but was unable to find work. Short of money, Weissman contacted Larrie Schmidt who at that time was living in Dallas. Schmidt told Weissman about his involvement in the attack on the liberal politician, Adlai Stevenson. According to Schmidt, this had been organized by General Edwin Walker. Schmidt added that his brother was working as General Walker's chauffeur and general aide."

"In April 1961 Major General Edwin Walker, commander of the 24th Infantry Division in Europe and stationed in Augsburg, Germany was accused of indoctrinating his troops with right-wing literature from the John Birch Society. With the agreement of President John F. Kennedy, Defense Secretary Robert McNamara relieved Walker of his command an announced an investigation into the affair. Kennedy was accused of trying to suppress the anti-Communist feelings of the military.

Walker resigned from the army in protest about the way he had been treated. In September 1961 Walker organized the protests against the enrollment of James Meredith at the University of Mississippi. Attorney General Robert Kennedy responded by issuing a warrant for Walker's arrest on the charges of seditious conspiracy, insurrection, and rebellion."

"May 5th: Lee reopens his correspondence with his family by writing his brother Robert. 25th: Lee notifies the Embassy that he has married, and his wife would like to accompany him to the U.S.

July 8th: Lee travels to Moscow to talk to Snyder concerning his efforts to return to the U.S. 9th: After a call from Lee, Marina joins him in Moscow. 10th: Lee returns to the Embassy to see Snyder, who agrees to return his passport. 11th: Lee and Marina return to the Embassy to fill out papers for Marina. 14th: Lee and Marina return to Minsk. In a letter to Robert, Lee reports on his efforts to leave Russia.

August : 20th: The Oswalds send the necessary papers to leave the country to Russian officials.

October 4th: Lee writes the Embassy requesting the U.S. Government intervene in his case. Marina spends 3 weeks with her aunt in Kharkov. 12th: The Embassy replies to Lee offering little hope for a speedy exit from the country. 18th: Lee spends his 22nd birthday at the opera.

November 1st: Lee writes the Embassy saying that if his residence permit were renewed, it would be over his protest. 12th: Marina returns from Kharkov. 13th: The Embassy replies telling Lee that retention of his passport would not jeopardize his request to leave.

December Lee writes Texas Senator John Tower, asking for his help with the exit visas. 25th: Marina is called to the passport office and told that she an Lee will be granted exit visas. 27th: Lee tells the Embassy that they will be given visas and asks to extend his passport.

January 1st: Lee and Marina spend New Year's Day with their friends, the Zigers. 2nd: Lee writes his mother that he and Marina expect to arrive in the U.S. in March. 5th: He writes to the Embassy asking for a loan from the U.S. Government. 13th: Lee writes to the International Rescue Committee asking for $800. 15th: The Embassy tells Lee it needs proof that Marina will not become a ward of the state. 23rd: Lee replies to the Embassy, saying that his affidavit should be enough but contacts Marguerite the same day requesting that she file an affidavit. 24th: The Embassy receives an affidavit from Lee for Marina, but tells Lee to obtain another one. 26th: Lee writes to the International Rescue Committee again asking for $1,000. 30th: Lee learns of his "Undesirable" discharge, which is incorrectly reported by his mother to be "Dishonorable". 30th: He writes John Connally, former Secretary of the Navy, asking for help reversing the discharge.

February 1st: Lee writes his mother rejecting her suggestion regarding raising money through a newspaper appeal. 6th: The Embassy contacts Lee asking him to make a formal application for a loan. 15th: June Lee Oswald is born. 23rd: Marina comes home from the hospital.

March 3rd: the Embassy receives Lee's request for a loan. 15th: Marina's visa is approved. 28th: Lee receives an affidavit of support from Marguerite's employer.

April 12th: In a letter to Robert, Lee indicates they are not in a hurry to leave since good weather has arrived.

May 10th: The Embassy asks Lee to come and sign the final papers for the departure to America. 18th: Lee leaves his job. 22nd: He picks up his exit visa. 24th: The Oswalds arrive in Moscow to visit the Embassy.

June 1st: Lee signs a promissory note for $435.71, and the Oswalds leave for America. 13th: The Oswalds arrive in Hoboken, NJ. 14th: They leave by plane for Fort Worth."

Johnson revisited Sweden in early '63. Olof Palme was one of the staunchest western supporters of Ho Chi Minh. (From memory, US Vietnam defectors were granted automatic swedish citizenship if they wanted it? My memory of growing up in Sweden was seeing Vietnamese refugees coming into the country and coming into school, also of a great sadness when Kennedy was killed.) Swedens 'aristocracy' was also traditionally tied to the upper classes in Finland. (and Norway)

What I can't find is exactly hwer Walker was in August '63. Also peripherally, I'm curious about McNamaras* movements during this time.

EDIT:: *from interview with Mcnamara http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/McNamara/mcnamara6.html

"During the seven years I was Secretary, on three occasions we came very very close to war with the Soviet Union. They put pressure on West Berlin to take West Berlin from NATO in August of 1961, we came close to war then. They introduced nuclear weapons into Cuba and we came close to nuclear war with the Soviets then -- that was in October of 1962. They were backing Egypt to destroy Israel, eliminate it from the face of the earth, in June of 1967; the hotline was used for the first time in connection with that. The message from Kosygin, the Prime Minister of the Soviet Union, to Johnson was "If you want war you'll get it." So we faced what we considered a terrible threat to Western security from the Soviet Communists and the Chinese Communists. I think we exaggerated, but to some degree it was real.

But with respect to Southeast Asia, I am certain we exaggerated the threat. Had we never intervened, I now doubt that the dominoes would have fallen; I doubt that all of Asia would have fallen under Communist control. I doubt that the security of the West would have been materially and adversely affected had we not intervened, or had we withdrawn after it became clear that we were having serious problems militarily. That was our major error."

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if...the assassination had failed? What if Kennedy had emerged unscathed?

Could it be that if he then was aware of butllets shot at him, endangering the lives of his wife, and others. Wouldn't he and his intimates immediately set in motion an investigation such that the conspiracy in the making with all its flaws would have crumbled?

What then? There were breaks in the ranks of the armed forces, state and federal. Is the idea that the cuba operations were a cover for an arms/personnell buildup for a civil war too farfetched?

thats just one idea I'm toying with. Has anyone else considered the aftermath of an unsuccessful assassination attempt with a view at the evidence uncovered and seeing how it might have been handled by Jack and Robert? Perhaps in doing so one may percieve a plan for such an eventuality and thus point at the perpetrators of the successful assassination?

That's what I like about your posts, John...nearly 42 years after the assassination, you seem to always spot the unexplored and underexplored areas. Maybe that's because you have a world perspective, rather than simply an American perspective.

IF the assassination attempt had failed....what would have been revealed? Or would there still have been a massive coverup? Would Don Reynolds' testimony before Congress have doomed LBJ's political future? Would Oswald have been flown to Mexico...or Cuba?

Pure speculation, of course...but I think that those who might have planned for this contingency [after all, none of the Castro assassination attempts were successful] may have given themselves away somewhere...all we have to do is find the supporting evidence after almost 42 years. I think you may be on the right track, John; the FBI was out to DISprove a conspiracy, and we aren't of any necessity heading in that direction. Some evidence MAY exist.

Edited by Mark Knight

That's what I like about your posts, John...nearly 42 years after the assassination, you seem to always spot the unexplored and underexplored areas.  Maybe that's because you have a world perspective, rather than simply an American perspective.

IF the assassination attempt had failed....what would have been revealed?  Or would there still have been a massive coverup?  Would Don Reynolds' testimony before Congress have doomed LBJ's political future?  Would Oswald have been flown to Mexico...or Cuba?

Pure speculation, of course...but I think that those who might have planned for this contingency [after all, none of the Castro assassination attempts were successful]  may have given themselves away somewhere...all we have to do is find the supporting evidence after almost 42 years.  I think you may be on the right track, John; the FBI was out to DISprove a conspiracy, and we aren't of any necessity heading in that direction.  Some evidence MAY exist.

The evidence, although entirely circumstantial, clearly exists within the public domain.

One can/could speculate "what if" from now until forever. It will answer no questions regarding the actual event.

The keys to unravelling and making the "ties" to the common denominator's are there for all who wish to pursue them.

One such "key" is even mentioned by name in this topic.

Tom

Tom, you always make me think...there are few mentioned there...does it start with H?

As far as "One can/could speculate "what if" from now until forever. It will answer no questions regarding the actual event" goes, for it to be a conspiracy that assumed no events beyond the assassination if that assassination had been unsuccessful doesn't make sense. Therefore, what appointments, travel plans, meetings, letters, memos, prepared were altered, filed etc as a result of success?

This may very well be a fruitful avenue of research as attention to concealment may not have been as rigorous because the scrutiny was avoided early on.

Tom M. Hi, could it be you mean an earlier car bomb attempt I think back in '61 that was foiled as a result of a postal worker who had been receiving disturbing postcards from a guy following Kennedy around? This attempt was foiled as a result of him alerting the authorities. Otherwise, have you more info on 'plan B'?

Mark, possibly one thing is coming into this so late in life having spent a lot of life travelling and living in lots of different circumstances. I've always been interested in deBono as well. Others are also applying a kind of 'difference' analysis, offhand Jim and Robert come to mind. As I see it a deliberate viewing of data not for what it contains but for what it doesn't contain. As such I try to look at the events and look for what seems to be missing. If there is a significant omission then I wonder "Why?". Sometimes these amissions are a result of an initially perhaps insignificant skewing of the whole picture that years later has magnified into something even blind freddy can see. Sometimes it's more subtle. Whatever, it's a factor. On the whole I see the investigation (and I have only the experience of this forum to draw on) as a joint effort made up of contributions all different none better (or worse, just different). My role perhaps is to dash off into the unexplored, stumble around for a bit, spot another crack in the wall and hammer away at that. Others who are skilled at putting the pieces together perhaps follow a vanguard of wild theorists and apply a sobering tone to the whole affair. such as yourself, Tom, Pat, John etc. others do other things some a number of different ones. But as far as myself is concerned I try to 'immerse' myself in the situation and see what it looks like from inside and then compare that view with the one I get from todays descriptions.

as I've said, this topic is about coincidences that may or may not mean something. one example is the repeated use of the number 10000 in military style actions in the area. As most of these concern the segregation issue, I'm wondering whether the call by Walker for 10000 men and the purchase of 10000 rifles may ahve something to do with an armed response in case of a failed assassination? perhaps also for military folk 10000 is a size that reflect a standard unit size in the army?

a "Call to Negro America" dated July 1, 1941 calling for 10,000 Black Americans to march on Washington D.C. to secure integration and equal treatment in the Armed Forces. Philip Randolph, then the President of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters" was primarily responsible for this attempt to organize the 1941 march, and he participated prominently 22 years later in the 1963 March on Washington.

"1957 - Desegregation at Little Rock: Little Rock Central High School was to begin the 1957 school year desegregated. On September 2, the night before the first day of school, Governor Faubus announced that he had ordered the Arkansas National Guard to monitor the school the next day. When a group of nine black students arrived at Central High on September 3, they were kept from entering by the National Guardsmen. On September 20, judge Davies granted an injunction against Governor Faubus and three days later the group of nine students returned to Central High School. Although the students were not physically injured, a mob of 1,000 townspeople prevented them from remaining at school. Finally, President Eisenhower ordered 1,000 paratroopers and 10,000 National Guardsmen to Little Rock, and on September 25, Central High School was desegregated."

" During the Ole Miss crisis in 1962, Davis sent the following telegram to General Edwin Walker: "You called for ten thousand volunteers nationwide for Mississippi's fight against Federal tyranny. Will pledge ten thousand from Louisiana alone under your command." (NOTP; September 28, 1962; S 3, p 2)" "

"In August 1961, one John Burkman, residing at 535 baseline Road, Northvile, Michigan, and who is employed as a sales representative for the Richmond Arms Company, Blissfield, Michigan, was approached by one William Newton and a Lt. General (FNU) Osborne. William Newton, allegedly residing at Miami, Oklahoma, was suspected of being a leader of a Cuban movement but was a person who stayed in the background. The Customs file did not reflect information on Lt. General Osborne. Newton and Osborne requested that Burkman attempt to obtain 10,000 M-1 rifles for an anti-Castro revolution.

Tom M. Hi, could it be you mean an earlier car bomb attempt I think back in '61 that was foiled as a result of a postal worker who had been receiving disturbing postcards from a guy following Kennedy around? This attempt was foiled as a result of him alerting the authorities. Otherwise, have you more info on 'plan B'?

Here's the reference I read to the car bomb. I found this in Gerry Hemming's bio on spartacus.

This week Hemming revealed to Solares Hill that the assassins had a back-up plan to ensure Kennedy never left Dallas alive. According to Hemming, there was a huge remote-controlled bomb planted in one of the cars parked beyond the triple overpass at the south end of Dealey Plaza. If the assassins were not sure Kennedy had been killed by the ambush in Dealey Plaza, they would detonate the car bomb as the motorcade sped toward the hospital, ensuring the death of all the occupants of the Presidential limousine.

Here's the complete link: Link

Here's the reference I read to the car bomb. I found this in Gerry Hemming's bio on spartacus.

This week Hemming revealed to Solares Hill that the assassins had a back-up plan to ensure Kennedy never left Dallas alive. According to Hemming, there was a huge remote-controlled bomb planted in one of the cars parked beyond the triple overpass at the south end of Dealey Plaza. If the assassins were not sure Kennedy had been killed by the ambush in Dealey Plaza, they would detonate the car bomb as the motorcade sped toward the hospital, ensuring the death of all the occupants of the Presidential limousine.

Here's the complete link: Link

Thank you for posting that Tom, I wonder how many members are aware of that article written by Tim?

Gerry, when did you hear of this bomb, and how credible is it?

I find it fascinating. As stated this topic is to look at some coincidences and to look a post assassination attempt plans to see what that might reveal.

OK. So Tim reports that Gerry tells Sol that there was a car bomb of such size that obliteration of occupants of speeding Limousine was ensured. Remote controlled bomb. Radio one would surmise?

Is there an iota of suggestion that Oswald had such a device? No? Well then, it MUST have been a conspiracy. Or...?

The only people reported as having radios are of course the various Law enforcement agencies, and Harry up in his office speaks of having one, though like his ocular being bi, his radio was tuned to local station. No matter.

OK, fair enuff..I'd like to hear what Gerry has to say about this article by Tim. There are obvious logical inconsistencies.

If it was to be a conspiracy to have a lone nut, then that would have blown as soon as the bomb went off.

Plus the weight brought to bear on the case would have been of a different magnitude entirely.

How could this split second deciscion NOT to blow the bomb have been made with any degree of certainty?

Let's say it was decided to blow, what then? What if it hadn't worked? Back to the whole question of post assassination attempt survival of Kennedy and his subsequent steps to take charge. Strikes me that the conspiracists played a VERY chancy game. If they had a serious agenda, would they do it like this?

It sounds a bit too pat to me.

one thing that is becoming apparent with these seeming coincidences is a thought that there is no necessary reason to look for 'global' or 'foreign' reasons for conflict sufficient to generate a will to kill the President.

( one amusing coincidence is at the end with regards to 'signals'

"Source: News-clipping (FBI file 961-7398-52) - http://www.nathanielturner.com/blacklegion2.htm

FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION

Cleveland, Ohio

5/24/35

Synopsis of Facts:

Secret organization national in scope and military in nature, apparently organized by dr. Shepard, of Bellaire, O. membership restricted to native-born, white, gentile, protestant citizens. Former members. state organization is revolutionary and is terrorizing former members for withdrawing. general of organization, at Lima, O., has ordered subordinate to wreck picture shows, burn roadhouses and assault individuals. organization purports to have completely equipped machine guns company in detroit, Mich. Former members advise 80% of FERA employes at Lima, O., are members and relief in district is controlled by head or order. Chief of Police, Lima, is reputed to be a member; General of legion, lima, stated to former member that 60 to 70 members of department of justice were members; also stated that Cincinnati, o., agent was admitted to order fall '34, Event of unknown nature scheduled for Nov. 20-26. Ritual, organization, and partial list of members set forth

Reference: Bureau letters dated 4-22-35 and 5-11-35

Details:

Agent interviewed Mr. J. F. Cordrey, Post Office Inspector, stationed at Lima, Ohio, [was the FBI source of information] . . . .

The following information relative to the history, ritual, organization, officers, members and meeting places of the Order were furnished by . . .

The Black Legion, historical in itself, was first formed prior to the Revolutionary War, and it was this organization that organized the Boston Tea Party, after the Colonies won their independence; there being no more need for the existence of the order it disbanded; however, those who were Generals at that time, there being one General for each of the 13 colonies, handed down their rank to their sons, and thus the order was kept alive. the next time that the order felt it must become active was immediately after the Civil war, and a band of gorillas [sic] under Quantrell was organized and operated until they had satisfactorily straightened out the country. it was again disbanded and has now been reorganized as the country is once again being threatened by various sorts ISMS. *(Note: the above is part of the speech made by General Effinger at meetings.)

Ritual and Initiation

members are armed and masked, recruits are lined up for preliminary questions and oath. grounds are patrolled by masked armed guards.

Captain of the Guard

1. Are you a native-born, white, gentile, protestant citizen?

2. Do you understand that this organization you are about to join is strictly secret and military in character?

3. This organization is classed by our enemies as an outlaw organization; are you willing to join such an organization?

(The above questions are asked each recruit.)

Preliminary Oath

Kneel on your right knee; place your left hand over your heart and raise your right hand; repeat after me: (Say I and repeat your name.)

"Do solemnly promise and swear that i will never reveal any part or portion of the work I have already received or that which is about to be commutated to me. I further promise and swear I will never reveal a single word of anything that has transpired here tonight or the identity of anyone I may recognize in case I am refused membership in this organization. The penalty for violation of this is -- DEATH."

(The recruits having passed this test and placed under oath are now taken before

the larger body of Night Riders and surrounded by armed masked men.)

_____(missing page)_____

Do you believe in the separation of church and state? Will you lie to protect a comrade in this organization, if ordered to do so by your superior officer? To what political organization do you now belong? will you forget your party and vote for the best man if ordered to do so by your superior officer? Can you keep a secret?

(On the last question a phoney password is passed around and

one of the Blacks purposely repeats it, and then he is taken

out and hung before all the recruits; a special harness is

used and the rope is hooked on; a strap in the back; in

the dark it looks like a true hanging. Carter stated that

he has frequently been the victim in this act.)

Colonel to Lieut. Colonel:

"Do you think these men have shown their fitness to join this organization by their answers to questions?" Answer: "Sir, i wish to subject these men to further questioning, have I your permission?" Answer: "You have."

Questions By Lieut. Colonel

"Can you ride a horse and shoot a rifle?"

"Are you properly armed?"

"Will you properly arm yourself as soon as possible"

"Do you believe in Lynch Law?"

"Will you sign your name in Blood?"

Lieut. Colonel to Colonel

"Sir, these men have answered all questions properly, and if they are bound by the oath that we are bound by -- they are acceptable to me."

Black Oath

Kneel on your right knee; place your left hand over your heart; raise your right hand; repeat after me: (orders are then given to cover these men with loaded guns, and if they fail or falter, you know your duty.)

"In the name of God and Devil and by the power of light and darkness, good and evil, here under the black arch of heavens avenging symbol, i pledge and consecrate my body, my limbs, my heart and my mind and swear by all powers of heaven and Hell that i will devote my life to the obedience of any superior officers in this organization and that i will never betray a comrade in this organization. I further promise and swear that I will destroy, without mercy, all FEDERALS, Jay hawkers and their abetors, whose serpent trail has winnowed the fair fields of our allies and sympathizers; these I will fight without mercy as long as breath remains. before divulging a single work or implied pledge of this, my solemn oath, and obligation, i will pray to an avenging God and unmerciful devil that my limbs be broken with stones and cut off by inches; that they may be for carion birds; that my body be ripped open and my bowels torn out and fed to the foulest bird of the air, and that my head be split open and my brains scattered over the earth, my heart be torn out and roasted over flames of sulphur. And, lastly, may my soul be given unto torment, may it be submerged in a molten metal and stifled in the flames of Hell, and may this punishment be meeted out to me through all eternity."

Signs and Pass Words

Pass word: PUT (name of place) Americans only on guard.

Call word: LIXTO (When this word is received by a Black Knight, either by word of mouth, telephone, telegraph or mail, he is supposed to drop anything he is doing and take up arms and go to the place named: for instance, if a call was made for Cleveland, the word would be LIXTO, CLEVELAND)

Test word: (Under the star of the guard, which is answered by the party approached saying Until Death)

Signs: At night-time either a flashlight, match or auto head lights are flashed three times, and if the party flashed is a Black, he will answer with three flashes. in day-time the hat is pushed back on the head three times and is answered the same way. Any sign may be used in multiple of three and must be answered the same way.*

Degrees

1.. Lowest rank -- Foot legion

2. Night Riders

3. Black Knight

4. Armed Guard

5. Bullet Guard (consists of only selected Black Knights)

Organization

1. Squad -- consists of 6 men and a corporal

2. Company -- consists of 78 privates, 18 corporals, 6 sergeants

3. Battalion -- consists of 3 companies and is commanded by a major

4. Regiment -- consists of 3 battalions and is commanded by a colonel"

so 10000 is approximately equal to 10 regiments. assuming the prior selection of officers, leaves approximately 2000 reserves. I wonder if someone with militery experiencecould comment on whether this is a reasonable formation:

ie out of 10000 called up, to expect to form 10 regiments as per above frormula with 3000 reserves, possibly also with the lower ranks, corporal and seargent drawn from this reserve figure? presumably also all the associated support groups such as medical and cantine is drawn from this reserve?

*three yellow stripes painted on a curb?

one thing that is becoming apparent with these seeming coincidences is a thought that there is no necessary reason to look for 'global' or 'foreign' reasons for conflict sufficient to generate a will to kill the President.

In this thread I'm exploring an idea I've formulated regarding the nature of the seemingly different major fields of activity foreign and domestic that seem to have an aim of controlling the direction american society was going in in the last century.

I am identifying three broad areas. Communism, Civil Rights, and an area I am having difficulty finding a word for which is largely about the atmosphere that the average american citizen finds him/her self in. This is shaped by such things as Media and in more sinister aspects of action arising out of operations such as MKULTRA, COINTELPRO, MOCKINBIRD.

The McCarthy years taught the citizen what a communist was and what troubles someone who may consider looking seriously at becoming one would experience along the way. The average person would probably have steered clear of anything that may have tainted them in this way. So once this particular mindset is in place then the 'externalising' of a communist threat for example the picture provided by Castro becomes more acceptable. The 'mind control experiments' of the CIA and others is a rather gross description of something far more subtle. These activities were a continuation of a philosophy of psychology and race that sought to understand and consequently control humanity. The activities of the various agencies (including media elements) draw on this research material.

The 'communist' or 'marxist' werte often portrayed as being behind the various US mainland problems such as Civil Rights. I suggest that civil un-rights were behind it. Civil Un-Rights is a product of an Unequal or Unfree society that depends on control of aspects of its society to function. Civil Rights is a response to this. And the reason that the communist would be found in the 'vanguard' of this struggle is because this is essentially communisms reason for being. No mysterious sinister plots there. The sinister thing is the creation of a 'communist' threat mind set that thewn allowed the often legal hounding of such a vanguard.

Now, remember this was happening in America. Emmett Till was slaughtered in America, not Cuba. etc. What happened in little Cuba was a taking back of government by a military action against a corrupt US sponsored regime.

What if there had been no response to this by the US government? Could the idea of people having the right to do such things be applied to the mainland? The people behind the preparations for an armed insurrection obviously thought so. The murderers of Kennedy obviously thought so. The point was to impress on the average decent american citizen what wopuld happen should they get into their mind that such a thing was OK.

All the worlds a stage where we see cause and effect played out. TV is a good example of this. Here we are willing Pavlovian dogs being herded in directions acceptable to those in control.

I'm suggesting that the proper way to view all these events surrounding the assassination of Kennedy had nothing whatsoever to do with Cuba or the USSR, nothing to do with the Mob, nothing to do with Communists or any other identifiable grouping but was an aspect of the logical thread of mindcontrol aimed at the average American spectator to these events. I hope my meaning here is clear?

here is the introduction to the

( http://www.icdc.com/~paulwolf/cointelpro/c...lreportIIca.htm )

"INTELLIGENCE ACTIVITIES AND THE RIGHTS OF AMERICANS - BOOK II

FINAL REPORT OF THE SELECT COMMITTEE TO STUDY GOVERNMENTAL OPERATIONS WITH RESPECT TO INTELLIGENCE ACTIVITIES

UNITED STATES SENATE

TOGETHER WITH ADDITIONAL, SUPPLEMENTAL, AND SEPARATE VIEWS

APRIL 26 (legislative day, April 14), 1976

A. VIOLATING AND IGNORING THE LAW - MAJOR FINDING

The Committee finds that the domestic activities of the intelligence community at times violated specific statutory prohibitions and infringed the constitutional rights of American citizens. 1 The legal questions involved in intelligence programs were often not considered. On other occasions, they were intentionally disregarded in the belief that because the programs served the "national security" the law did not apply. While intelligence officers on occasion failed to disclose to their superiors programs which were illegal or of questionable legality, the Committee finds that the most serious breaches of duty were those of senior officials, who were responsible for controlling intelligence activities and generally failed to assure compliance with the law.

Subfindings

(a) In its attempt to implement instructions to protect the security of the United States, the intelligence community engaged in some activities which violated statutory law and the constitutional rights of American citizens.

(:P Legal issues were often overlooked by many of the intelligence officers who directed these operations. Some held a pragmatic view of intelligence activities that did not regularly attach sufficient significance to questions of legality. The question raised was usually not whether a particular program was legal or ethical, but whether it worked.

© On some occasions when agency officials did assume, or were told, that a program was illegal, they still permitted it to continue. They justified their conduct in some cases on the ground that the failure of "the enemy" to play by the rules granted them the right to do likewise, and in other cases on the ground that the "national security" permitted programs that would otherwise be illegal.

(d) Internal recognition of the illegality or the questionable legality of many of these activities frequently led to a tightening of security rather than to their termination. Partly to avoid exposure and a public "flap," knowledge of these programs was tightly held within the agencies, special filing procedures were used, and "cover stories" were devised.

(e) On occasion, intelligence agencies failed to disclose candidly their programs and practices to their own General Counsels, and to Attorneys General, Presidents, and Congress.

(f) The internal inspection mechanisms of the CIA and the FBI did not keep -- and, in the case of the FBI, were not designed to keep -- the activities of those agencies within legal bounds. Their primary concern was efficiency, not legality or propriety.

(g) When senior administration officials with a duty to control domestic intelligence activities knew, or had a basis for suspecting, that questionable activities had occurred, they often responded with silence or approval. In certain cases, they were presented with a partial description of a program but did not ask for details, thereby abdicating their responsibility. In other cases, they were fully aware of the nature of the practice and implicitly or explicitly approved it.

Elaboration of findings

The elaboration which follows details the general finding of the Committee that inattention to -- and disregard of -- legal issues was an all too common occurrence in the intelligence community. While this section focuses on the actions and attitudes of intelligence officials and certain high policy officials, the Committee recognizes that a pattern of lawless activity does not result from the deeds of a single stratum of the government or of a few individuals alone. The implementation and continuation of illegal and questionable programs would not have been possible without the cooperation or tacit approval of people at all levels within and above the intelligence community, through many successive administrations.

The agents in the field, for their part, rarely questioned the orders they received. Their often uncertain knowledge of the law, coupled with the natural desire to please one's superiors and with simple bureaucratic momentum, clearly contributed to their willingness to participate in illegal and questionable programs. The absence of any prosecutions for law violations by intelligence agents inevitably affected their attitudes as well. Under pressure from above to accomplish their assigned tasks, and without the realistic threat of prosecution to remind them of their legal obligations, it is understandable that these agents frequently acted without concern for issues of law and at times assumed that normal legal restraints and prohibitions did not apply to their activities.

Significantly, those officials at the highest levels of government, who had a duty to control the activities of the intelligence community, sometimes set in motion the very forces that permitted lawlessness to occur -- even if every act committed by intelligence agencies was not known to them. By demanding results without carefully limiting the means by which the results were achieved; by over-emphasizing the threats to national security without ensuring sensitivity to the rights of American citizens; and by propounding concepts such as the right of the "sovereign" to break the law, ultimate responsibility for the consequent climate of permissiveness should be placed at their door. 2

Subfinding (a)

In its attempt to implement instructions to protect the security of the United States, the intelligence community engaged in some activities which violated statutory law and the constitutional rights of American citizens.

From 1940 to 1973, the CIA and the FBI engaged in twelve covert mail opening programs in violation of Sections 1701-1703 of Title 18 of the United States Code which prohibit the obstruction, interception, or opening of mail. Both of these agencies also engaged in warrantless "surreptitious entries" -- break-ins -- against American citizens within the United States in apparent violation of state laws prohibiting trespass and burglary. Section 605 of the Federal Communications Act of 1934 was violated by NSA's program for obtaining millions of telegrams of Americans unrelated to foreign targets and by the Army Security Agency's interception of domestic radio communications.

All of these activities, as well as the FBI's use of electronic surveillance without a substantial national security predicate, also infringed the rights of countless Americans under the Fourth Amendment protection "against unreasonable searches and seizures."

The abusive techniques used by the FBI in COINTELPRO from 1956 to 1971 included violations of both federal and state statutes prohibiting mail fraud, wire fraud, incitement to violence, sending obscene material through the mail, and extortion. More fundamentally, the harassment of innocent citizens engaged in lawful forms of political expression did serious injury to the First Amendment guarantee of freedom of speech and the right of the people to assemble peaceably and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. The Bureau's maintenance of the Security Index, which targeted thousands of American citizens for detention in the event of national emergency, clearly overstepped the permissible bounds established by Congress in the Emergency Detention Act of 1950 and represented, in contravention of the Act, a potential general suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus secured by Article 1, Section 9, of the Constitution.

A distressing number of the programs and techniques developed by the intelligence community involved transgressions against human decency that were no less serious than any technical violations of law. Some of the most fundamental values of this society were threatened by activities such as the smear campaign against Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., the testing of dangerous drugs on unsuspecting American citizens, the dissemination of information about the sex lives, drinking habits, and marital problems of electronic surveillance targets, and the COINTELPRO attempts to turn dissident organizations against one another and to destroy marriages."

Were the FBI interested in destroying individuals who supported Civil Rights?

Was the mentality on the right there such as to consider murdering Kennedy?

Yes.

Were there sufficient reason to consider the operations against Cuba and other foreign events as covers for a more sinister aim of controlling the american public?

I think so.

It's important to look at the big picture taking into account the full scope of the actions of the thought police, but here is one example out of many.

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/sco.../03/306991.html

"Jean, like her contemporaries Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave, was politically active in the late 60’s and was particularly supportive of the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People). She spoke out after the assassination of Dr Martin Luther King in 1968 and was friendly with the Black Panthers to whom she is reputed to have donated $100,000 [around $1 million in today’s money]. While Jane Fonda was dubbed `Hanoi Jane` and Redgrave’s career suffered because of her support for the Palestinians it was Seberg who was to pay the heaviest price when she fell foul of FBI director J. Edgar Hoover. Hoover, `the boss` from 1924 till his death in 1972, saw Jean as a particular threat because of her popularity on both sides of the Atlantic. These were the days of an FBI campaign, sometimes forgotten today, called COINTELPRO meaning Counter Intelligence Programme. Briefly COINTELPRO was a series of programmes of political harassment directed against black and socialist organisations such as the Black Panthers, the Civil Rights movement, the Socialist Workers Party and the burgeoning 1960’s peace movement. Not lawful investigation, but actual criminal acts committed by the FBI designed to deny the black population (along with Native Americans, the anti-war movement, and the early feminist movement) their civil rights. It involved widespread and illegal wiretapping, the use of smear campaigns, infiltration and outright violence against those groups deemed to be a `threat` to the American Apple Pie way of life. The White Anglo Saxon Protestant US ruling class including Hoover had a particular dislike for the Black struggle especially militant or uncompromising organisations like the Panthers. According to a former Los Angeles based FBI agent (M. Wesley Swearingen) a culture of racism had permeated the bureau and their venom was particularly directed towards the Panthers and the white women who associated with them. Hoover was reputed to have said he was going to 'take care of those two bitches' - meaning Jean and Jane Fonda. But Hoover said it was Seberg who kept him awake at nights. When a high profile blonde actress like Jean devoted much of her money and time to them Hoover singled her out for exceptionally harsh treatment. On April 27th 1970, just seven weeks after the New York release of Airport, SAC [special Agent in Charge] in Los Angeles Richard Held sent a memorandum to headquarters requesting permission to smear Jean: It reads: “Bureau permission is requested to publicize the pregnancy of JEAN SEBERG, well known movie actress, by [DELETED] Black Panther Party (BPP) [DELETED] by advising Hollywood `Gossip-Columnists` in the Los Angeles area of the situation. It is felt that the possible publication of Seberg’s plight could cause her embarrassment and serve to cheapen her image with the general public”

Richard Held is purported to have said: “ I wonder how she’d like to gobble my dick while I shove my .38 up that black bastard’s ass.” This was a reference to Panther theorist Raymond `Masia` Hewit with whom Jean was supposedly having an affair.

Hoover said that Seberg deserved to be `neutralised` because of her financial support for the Panthers. He gave his authorization with the proviso that the implementation be postponed for approximately two months until the pregnancy became more visible and also to protect the secrecy of wiretaps the Bureau had installed in the Los Angeles and San Francisco BPP headquarters. The schedule was accelerated however and on June 6th Held sent Hoover a letter with a newspaper cutting demonstrating the success of the operation. The cutting showed an article by Los Angeles Times gossip columnist Joyce Haber laying out the Bureau fiction of Jean [here referred to as `Miss A`] being pregnant by a prominent Black Panther. The article was syndicated to over a hundred newspapers including the International Press and `Newsweek`.

Held and Hoover knew Jean to be emotionally unstable before the smear and the effect on her was to attempt suicide with an overdose of sleeping pills. Though she survived, the trauma of the event caused her to go into premature labour and the resulting baby girl Nina died just two days later on August 25th 1970. Jean was devastated and never fully recovered, for every one of her remaining 9 years she tried to kill herself on the anniversary of the miscarriage.

She called a press conference at which she presented shocked journalists with the foetus of her dead white child and at the funeral she insisted on a glass coffin. In her 1993 book `Make Believe` Diana Athill recounts how “after the baby died Jean became obsessed with it. She had photographs taken of it in its coffin and tapes made of the funeral, and these she brooded over, and made other people brood over, for hours on end.”

Though plagued by personal problems Jean was to make 12 more films in what remained of her career though none of them was of any great note. She made Ondata di calore (dead of Summer), a psychodrama made in Morocco. She played Joyce Grasse, an American woman who cannot cope with the pressure of her isolated existence. She seldom sees her husband, cannot speak the language, and finds that racial tensions interfere with her ability to get along with the locals. In 1971 Jean made Kill! with James Mason and Stephen Boyd, then in 1972 Questa specie d’amore (This kind of love) and Camorra! followed by the French Conspiracy with Roy Scheider in 1973. On May 1, 1973, tragedy struck again when her close friend Hakim Jamal, a black activist, was brutally murdered. In 1974 she made an American TV movie Mousey with Kirk Douglas and in the same year had her one and only try at directing in Ballad for the Kid. She spent the last five years of her life in Europe making films not released to the foreign market. Her last film was Die Wildente (The Wild Duck) a German-language version of the Henrik Ibsen play in 1976.

Jean attempted suicide by throwing herself under a Paris metro train but miraculously survived and even had thoughts of a comeback. She was apparently enthusiastic about a possible but then unconfirmed role that would have reunited her with her "Bonjour Tristesse" co-star David Niven. The film, "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square", was eventually remade in 1980 with German actress Elke Sommer taking the role Jean was meant to play.

JEAN'S DEATH

Jean went missing in August 1979 and to the consternation of her fans could not be found. Their worst fears were confirmed when on the evening of Saturday 8th September 1979 her Renault car was discovered by an off-duty policeman in the Rue du General Appertin, in a smart residential district near the Champs-Élysées. The policeman noticed the car by the kerb, covered with leaves and dust. On opening the door he saw a big bundle on the floor at the back, wrapped in a blanket. It was the body of a blonde woman. Near the body were several empty pill bottles and a half empty bottle of mineral water. From the badly decomposed state of the corpse it was believed that her death probably occurred shortly after her disappearance. Jean had left a note addressed to her son, and only child, Alexandre Diego. She complained about depression and wrote: “ I can’t live any longer with my nerves.”

The day after her funeral the London Daily Telegraph reported that the FBI admitted it spread the rumour that destroyed Jean. This revelation consisted of two and three quarter inches on page 19. The London Times of November 20th that year printed a somewhat longer piece, all of nine and three quarter inches on page 9, which was headlined `FBI agents blamed for Jean Seberg suicide` and which mentioned the word COINTELPRO.

After her death came the documentary Jean Seberg: American Actress (1995), and the docudrama From the Journals of Jean Seberg (1995), with Mary Beth Hurt, ironically also from Marshalltown, as Jean.

Jean had outlived both J Edgar Hoover by seven years and COINTELPRO by eight.

Speaking in 1975 Congressman Don Edwards had said: “Regardless of the unattractiveness or noisy militancy of some private citizens or organisations, the Constitution does not permit federal interference with their activities except through the criminal justice system, armed with its ancient safeguards. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS. [Emphasis added] No federal agency, the CIA, the IRS, or the FBI, can be at the same time policeman, prosecutor, judge and jury. That is what constitutionally guaranteed due process is all about.”"

http://members.aol.com/forumlead/Articles/...y/fillbust2.htm

"From 1848 to 1851, Cuban separatists residing in the United States established organizations, released publications, and mustered four filibuster invasions to overthrow the Spanish colonial government and establish a Cuban republic. They were following the Texas model by using American funds, volunteers and weapons to achieve independence. The islanders would later decide the question of statehood through a referendum. Filibuster expeditions led by disgruntled former Spanish Army General Narciso López and his aide-de-camp Ambrosio José Gonzales,violated the Neutrality Law of 1818, prohibiting armed enterprises against nations at peace withthe United States. López's attempts to liberate Cuba had profound consequences for United States-Spanish relations and the course of Cuban history. López, Gonzales and most of the filibuster leadership were Freemasons who relied extensively on the international fraternity to accomplish their plans. There had been a similar precedent in the creation of the Republic of West Florida in 1810 and the Republic of Texas in 1836. Louisiana Freemasons led the revolt against Spain that proclaimed the seventy-two-day Republic of West Florida, an area that was later annexed to their state. In Texas, revolutionary leaders Stephen F. Austin, Samuel Houston, David G. Burnet, Mirabeau Bounaparte Lamar, William B. Travis, David Crockett, James Fannin and Thomas J. Rusk were Freemasons. Twenty-two of the fifty-nine delegates to the Texas Independence Convention were Freemasons, as were all four Presidents and four Vice Presidents of the Texas Republic. Austin had met in the fall of 1835 with thirty-five prominent New Orleans Freemasons who planned the liberation of Texas and established a local committee to raise funds and volunteers. The Cuban revolutionaries tried to emulate this pattern fifteen years later."

As there is no input to the contrary I'll continue to stroll down this hypothesis a bit longer.

It is nothing more than a hypothesis using known events but 'naming' or interpreting them differently. Hopefully in a logical way.

The thought taking shape is that at the heart of the whole issue is a secret so veiled and disturbing that any sane person automatically dumps it if ever even considering it. However as I'm not any sane person...

There seems to have been largescale private accumulations of arms and personnell concentrating in the south east ostensibly for the purpose of dealing with Castro.

"There was a thought stream that sought to co-opt current events as a cover for a domestic operation that basically was an armed insurrection."

Occuring just three weeks before the Cuban missle crisis, the Battle of Oxford quickly vanished from the public consciousness.

Portions of Willian Doyle's essay "The making of an American insurrection" -1996

- "...My partner Carol Fleisher was preparing to videotape Kennedy aide Burke Marshall about JFK's tapes of the so-called James Meredith crisis in 1962, when Meredith attempted to become the first black student to attend the University of Mississippi. As the cameras were about to roll, Marshall said almost off-handedly, "that was the night we had a little war." "

http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/1101/doyle/essay.html

"In Jackson I sat down with William Simmons, the 85-year-old former chief of the Citizens Councils of America, a charming, sophisticated intellectual who in 1962 was the most powerful segregationist in America and the shadow ruler of Mississippi on racial matters, the man who Governor Ross Barnett actually reported to. Simmons explained that from the segregationists point of view, the Battle of Oxford was the decisive turning point in the entire struggle against integration.

I tracked down Robert Shelton, former Imperial Wizard of the United Klans of America and the most powerful Klan leader of the late 20th Century. As the Battle of Oxford drew near, Shelton placed his 20,000 Klansmen on alert and prepared them to move on Oxford with rifles and shotguns. Shelton disclosed what went through his mind on the eve of the battle.

"This," he thought, "could be another War Between the States." "

"William Fauklner's nephew, who in 1962 was Captain of Mississippi Army National Guard Troop E. Falkner explained, "No one knows what went on here then." Then he took his thirty-five year old typewritten after-action report out of his files, and handed it to me, saying "read this."

The document described in extraordinary detail how Falkner and his band of local white men, most of whom were personally opposed to the immediate integration of the University of Mississippi, were ordered into the battle to try to rescue the marshals and Meredith from being massacred by the mob. As I read the report I was dumbfounded by the ferocity of the violence inflicted upon the Guardsmen by their fellow white Southerners. I could only mumble, "this is like combat."

Falkner quickly corrected me: "It WAS combat." "

"The Army memo dated April 19, 1963 reads: "It is considered that the focus of additional attention on this incident would not be in the best interest of the nation . . . Decorations should not be awarded for actions involving conflict between U.S. Army units and other Americans."

Together with James Meredith and many unsung heroes of the Battle of Oxford, this country fought and won the last battle of the American Civil War on October 1, 1962."

An excerpt from his book

"... ack on the front lines, the marshals had just about run out of tear gas, the only means they had to keep the rioters at bay.

"We've got to have more gas," one marshal demanded of Nicholas Katzenbach.

"We don't have any more right now, but we're working on it" was the reply.

"We've got to have it now," the marshal shouted. "My men are getting slaughtered out there!"

The marshals were pumping out tear gas faster than they could get reserves ready. McShane and the Justice Department officials were pleading for more tear gas to be flown down from Memphis, but the supplies were running so low there that marshals were commandeering crates of gas bombs from the 503d Military Police Battalion's supply. Two hours into the chaos, the riot was abruptly shifting into full-scale combat.

The marshals could hear a shotgun blasting away in the distance, and it was soon joined by the rhythmic "pow-pow-pow" of a .22 automatic. Before long, gunfire seemed to be coming from everywhere. "We were now alone," recalled newsman Ed Turner, "the crowd roaring louder with each barrage, the campus filling up with reinforcements from three states and no guard at the gates to stop them."

Across the region, cars and trucks full of armed and unarmed fighters were surging toward Oxford from all directions, especially from segregationist strongholds in adjacent Alabama and Louisiana. A few scattered Mississippi Highway Patrolmen were blocking potential rioters from the campus, but one patrolman was observed telling a carload of outsiders, "We can't let you in here but if you break into small groups you can sneak in across the railroad tracks."

"Deputy U.S. Marshal James K. Kemp was a thirty-six-year-old father of three from Nashville, Tennessee. "I was a gunners mate in the Navy" Kemp recalled soon after the riot, "and after my ship went down, I was in the Atlantic Ocean for about an hour." But the riot at Ole Miss, Kemp shuddered, "was the worst thing I've ever been in."

Nicholas Katzenbach grabbed the line to the White House, and finally pleaded for a military rescue.

"For God's sake," he said, "we need those troops!"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Those who aren't already aware of some of the things the FBI got up to may be intertested to read the highlighted portion:

COINTELPRO-SWP

"Socialist Workers Party Split

The SWP has been outspokenly critical of the Communist Party, USA (CPUSA) and has referred to members of the CPUSA as Stalinists. The recent downgrading of Stalin by Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev has given the SWP a psychological propaganda weapon to use against members of the CPUSA. The SWP, an organization of approximately 500 members, has instituted an ambitious program of trying to recruit leaders and active members of the CPUSA into the SWP by capitalizing on the confusion existing inside the CPUSA brought about to no small degree by the downgrading of Stalin. The current SWP program includes sending of the SWP publication "The Militant" and other SWP literature to members of the CPUSA, inviting them to SWP social gatherings and finally attempt to sell them on the SWP program. It is believed the following suggestions are feasible in most of the 15 offices and they are being furnished these offices for consideration in an attached letter.

(1) Furnish names and addresses of CP leaders through selected SWP informants to SWP branch leaders where possible without jeopardy.

(2) Through SWP informants, call attention to articles in the press or congressional committees which identify local communist leadsers and members.

(3) Furnish names and addresses of CP leaders and member to SWP branch leaders by anonymous letters, pretext telephone calls or by slipping the names under the door of SWP headquarters.

(4) Furnish the locations of future CP meetings to SWP leaders so that SWP members can pass out SWP literature to CP members attending.

(5) Discreetly subscribe to "The Militant" for three-month period for special rate at fifty cents in name of several top CP leaders.

(6) Suggest through SWP informants that SWP capitalize on anti-Semitic crimes in the Soviet Union.

The current SWP program aimed at winning recruits from the CPUSA is made to order for the Bureau in increasing disruption inside the CPUSA. It is felt that with careful planning we can capitalize on this situation without jeopardy to any SWP informant or without embarrassment to the Bureau. A.H. Belmont to L.V. Boardman, Oct. 10, 1956

You should make certain that [ ] not obtain the impression that the Bureau has any over-all program in this connection. The informant should feel that [ ] participation is a local situation developed between [ ] and the Agent supervising [ ] operations. Director, FBI to SAC, New York, Nov. 6, 1956 "

bearing in mind the backyard photographs of 'oswald' holding a copy of 'the militant' and a copy of 'the worker'.

A number of points (without necessarily tying them together, but logging them for consideration)

#'Oswald' holds a copy of the militant and a copy of the worker, first in his right hand, secondly to his chest thirdly to his left. This shows both sides of the papers.

#The copies are 'pristine' indicated they may have been purchased precicely for the purpose of the photographs (whatever that may be) and not just for reading. There is a sheet of paper on the ground. (in exactly the same location, following exactly the same contours on the ground, indicating (apart from the progressive shadows on the post) that the photos were all taken at the same 'sitting'. This sheet of paper may have been used for wrapping the news papers, indicating secrecy.

#In april 1962, the FBI in its disruptive COINTELPRO- CPUSA and SWP op. noted that a issue of Worker carried an advertisement referring to a SWP office as the source of tickets to an upcoming event. Seeking to utilise this as a way to disrupt they anonymously contacted both organisation expressing outrage at the apparent association.

#An interesting point to note here is that the SWP indicated solidarity as they were aware of troubles the CP were having at this point and did not wish to 'put the knife into them'. The wording of the SWP response to the anonymous phone call indicated that perhaps they were wise to this attempt at fragmenting the left.

To me the interesting aspect here is a consideration of how the backyard photos fit in.

While the Communists and the Trotskyists traditionally are enemies, this does not mean they cannot form a bipartisanship approach on important issues. At this time the Cuban 'problem' presented one such issue (Civil Rights another). Perhaps the surfacing of the backyard photos tied in with a COINTELPRO op. to disrupt this bipartisanship by associating a 'union' between the CPUSA and the SWP with Oswald and hence with pro-Castro forces, and thus the assassination.?

Edited by John Dolva