The Education Forum

Gordon Campbell

In a letter sent to John R. Tunheim in 1994, Bradley Ayers claimed that he believed that the following " have intimate operational knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the assassination" of John F. Kennedy: Theodore Shackley, Grayston Lynch, Felix Rodriguez, Thomas Clines, Gordon Campbell, David Morales, Rip Robertson, Edward Roderick and Tony Sforza.

I would be grateful for any information anyone has on Gordon Campbell.

The namebase entry for Gordon Campbell:

http://www.namebase.org/main2/Gordon-_28cia_29-Campbell.html

Cuba 1962-1963

Escalante,F. The Secret War. 1995 (136)

Furiati,C. ZR Rifle. 1994 (41)

Hinckle,W. Turner,W. The Fish is Red. 1981 (114-5, 137, 193-4)

Turner,W. Rearview Mirror. 2001 (186-7, 206, 212)

In a letter sent to John R. Tunheim in 1994, Bradley Ayers claimed that he believed that the following " have intimate operational knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the assassination" of John F. Kennedy: Theodore Shackley, Grayston Lynch, Felix Rodriguez, Thomas Clines, Gordon Campbell, David Morales, Rip Robertson, Edward Roderick and Tony Sforza.

Cuba 1962-1963

See if the social network file posts:\\

Bradley E. Ayers was interviewed by Jeremy Gunn of the Assassination Records Review Board in May, 1995. According to Gunn: “Ayers claims to have found in the course of his private investigative work, a credible witness who can put David Morales inside the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on the night of June 5, 1968 (RFK’s assassination)." Another source suggests that Gordon Campbell was with David Morales at the Ambassador Hotel on the night that Robert Kennedy was murdered.

Bradley E. Ayers claims that his original publisher was working for the CIA and as a result removed some of the most important information from the first edition of The War That Never Was. Here is a section of the proposal for the reissue of The War That Never Was (1995):

The role and activities of Deputy Chief of Station, Gordon Campbell: (this was stricken from the original manuscript) this individual played a major behind-the-scenes role at and outside the JMWAVE station. While he was Shackley's deputy, he also appeared to function with a good deal of independence and have his own agenda. He became the author's case officer for the Elliot Key refinery raid which seemed to evolve beyond the station's normal paramilitary/operational structure. Campbell was unique, physically impressive, polished, had extensive background and experience in CIA's history in anti-Castro operations, particularly maritime. It is believed he had an ONI-naval background, had a somewhat flamboyant lifestyle and was known as Mr Bishop by some of the station.

John Simkin Posted Today, 01:08 PM

Bradley E. Ayers claims that his original publisher was working for the CIA and as a result removed some of the most important information from the first edition of The War That Never Was. Here is a section of the proposal for the reissue of The War That Never Was (1995):

The role and activities of Deputy Chief of Station, Gordon Campbell: (this was stricken from the original manuscript) this individual played a major behind-the-scenes role at and outside the JMWAVE station. While he was Shackley's deputy, he also appeared to function with a good deal of independence and have his own agenda. He became the author's case officer for the Elliot Key refinery raid which seemed to evolve beyond the station's normal paramilitary/operational structure. Campbell was unique, physically impressive, polished, had extensive background and experience in CIA's history in anti-Castro operations, particularly maritime. It is believed he had an ONI-naval background, had a somewhat flamboyant lifestyle and was known as Mr Bishop by some of the station.

Could Gordon Campbell have been the notorius Mr. Bishop instead of David A. Philips?

From Spartacus JFK site, Phillips pages:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKphillips.htm

In 1976 Antonio Veciana was interviewed by Gaeton Fonzi of the House Select Committee on Assassinations. The founder of the anti-Castro organization, Alpha 66, he told the committee about his relationship with his Central Intelligence Agency contact, Maurice Bishop. He claimed that in August, 1963, he saw Bishop and Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas. Veciana admitted that Bishop had organized and funded the Alpha 66 attacks on the Soviet ships docked in Cuba in 1963.

Veciana explained the policy: "It was my case officer, Maurice Bishop, who had the idea to attack the Soviet ships. The intention was to cause trouble between Kennedy and Russia. Bishop believed that Kennedy and Khrushchev had made a secret agreement that the USA would do nothing more to help in the fight against Castro. Bishop felt - he told me many times - that President Kennedy was a man without experience surrounded by a group of young men who were also inexperienced with mistaken ideas on how to manage this country. He said you had to put Kennedy against the wall in order to force him to make decisions that would remove Castro's regime."

Richard Schweiker, a member of the committee, speculated that Bishop was David Atlee Phillips. Schweiker asked his researcher, Gaeton Fonzi, to investigate this issue. Fonzi arranged for Veciana and Phillips to be introduced at a meeting of the Association of Retired Intelligence Officers in Reston. Phillips denied knowing Veciana. After the meeting Veciana told Schweiker that Phillips was not the man known to him as Bishop.

• 5 months later...

On BBC television tonight it will be reported that CIA agents, David Morales and Gordon Campbell, were involved in the assassination of Robert Kennedy. The film was made by Shane O'Sullivan. He has been in contact with me for some time. He had read about Morales, Campbell and Ayers on my website. He was especially keen to get a photograph of Campbell. I am not sure one exists in the public domain (I am sure the CIA have a photograph of him). Shane has therefore had to rely on Ayers to identify Campbell in the film.

On my page on Campbell I said:

Bradley E. Ayers was interviewed by Jeremy Gunn of the Assassination Records Review Board in May, 1995. According to Gunn: “Ayers claims to have found in the course of his private investigative work, a credible witness who can put David Morales inside the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles on the night of June 5, 1968 (RFK’s assassination)." Another source suggests that Gordon Campbell was with David Morales at the Ambassador Hotel on the night that Robert Kennedy was murdered.

My source was in fact Shane O'Sullivan but I was asked not to reveal this until the film was shown.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1952393,00.html

Shane’s article also claims that George Joannides was with David Morales, and Gordon Campbell in the Ambassador Hotel on the night of the assassination. Can anyone confirm that this is Campbell?

Photos of Campbell from 1960/61 show him with a little more hair but it definitely could be the same man. Someone who was familiar with Campbell from those days said that the image John posted looks very much like him but did not commit 100% to the ID.

FWIW.

James

Cuba 1962-1963

In the Oswald in Florida topic I put some NARA listings and one of them has a J. L. Campbell listed along with Oswald.

Don't know if it means a thing, but, many of the entries in NARA have typos.

The role and activities of Deputy Chief of Station, Gordon Campbell: (this was stricken from the original manuscript) this individual played a major behind-the-scenes role at and outside the JMWAVE station. While he was Shackley's deputy, he also appeared to function with a good deal of independence and have his own agenda. He became the author's case officer for the Elliot Key refinery raid which seemed to evolve beyond the station's normal paramilitary/operational structure.

Campbell was unique, physically impressive, polished, had extensive background and experience in CIA's history in anti-Castro operations, particularly maritime.

It is believed he had an ONI-naval background, had a somewhat flamboyant lifestyle and was known as Mr Bishop by some of the station.

Gordon Campbell does not fit the descriptive profile or background of "Maurice Bishop" while DAP does to a T.

Campbell does however, fit the role of one of the CIA maritime operations, which included the Bayo/Pawley/Red Cross Op and the Rex Mission, both of which are directly related to Dealey Plaza.

I would think we will learn a lot more about Gordon Campbell in the near future.

BK

One of Gordon Campbell's connections went under the crypto QDDALE. This man had operational contact with JM/WAVE and had solid connections throughout the Miami business community.

More importantly, QDDALE had a channel of communication to President Kennedy via George Smathers.

I have not been able to find out who QDDALE was.

FWIW.

James

Cuba 1962-1963

John,

I posted on the Lancer site some scans from "Deadly Secrets," which is an updated version of "The Fish is Red," that pertain to Gordon Campbell. In the days ahead I will look through the documents that I have, and encourage some friends to look through their stuff too, looking for anything on Gordon Campbell.

:cheers

Joe

Edited by Joseph Backes