The Education Forum

Lee Harvey Oswald and Gerry Hemming

John Simkin

According to a CIA memo written by Marguerite D. Stephens, Lee Harvey Oswald's CIA file was numbered MS-11165. We know that other American defectors had similar numbers: Joseph Dutkanicz (MS-10724), Vladimir Sloboda (MS-10565) and Libero Ricciardelli (MS-8295). However, another American defector, Robert E. Webster, had the number: EE-18854. Gerry Patrick Hemming had the number EE-29229.

Does anyone know what MS or EE stand for?

According to a CIA memo written by Marguerite D. Stephens, Lee Harvey Oswald's CIA file was numbered MS-11165. We know that other American defectors had similar numbers: Joseph Dutkanicz (MS-10724), Vladimir Sloboda (MS-10565) and Libero Ricciardelli (MS-8295). However, another American defector, Robert E. Webster, had the number: EE-18854. Gerry Patrick Hemming had the number EE-29229.

Does anyone know what MS or EE stand for?

Please clarify...do you suggest that Hemming was a defector?

Jack

John,

I don't know if this is in the context of the numbers assigned, but MS does stand for Military Support. It was assigned by Department of Defense officials who ran Military Intelligence training. The numbers were carried over after assignment.

The EE prefix was designated to Security Files. I don't know if it stood for anything.

FWIW.

James

I don't know if this is in the context of the numbers assigned, but MS does stand for Military Support. It was assigned by Department of Defense officials who ran Military Intelligence training. The numbers were carried over after assignment.

The EE prefix was designated to Security Files. I don't know if it stood for anything.

According to John Newman's "Oswald and the CIA" the CIA have always refused to explain what MS and EE stand for.

In John Newman’s book, Oswald and the CIA, he argues that there is a close connection between Lee Harvey Oswald and Gerry Hemming. Newman quotes a document in Hemmings’s CIA Office of Security file as saying that he “served in Japan with a U.S. Marine Air Wing”. The only Marine Air Wing that served in Japan was Marine Air Squadron One (MACS-1). This squadron based in Atsugi was the same one that Oswald served in.

Gerry Hemming denies he served in Japan and according to Newman (page 101) he claims he was in the Third Marine Air Wing in Hawaii. As far as I know, the Marine Corps have never released Gerry’s entire service record.

In a 1976 CIA internal memo it states “Gerald Patrick Hemming is well known to this Agency, the Office of Security Miami Field Office, and JMWAVE. On numerous occasions since at least the early 1960s, Hemming has claimed Agency affiliation when in fact there had been none… Gerald Patrick Hemming is a long-time cohort of Frank Anthony Sturgis (SF353459), aka Frank Fiorini, of Watergate notoriety who also has a long-time record of falsely claiming Agency affiliation.”

A 1977 CIA Security Office memo states: “The Office of Security file concerning Hemming which is replete with information possibly linking Hemming and his cohorts to Oswald”.

Another 1977 CIA memo points out that: “Extensive testimony contained in the Warren Commission hearings by Oswald’s fellow Marines at Santa Ana contain a theme that Oswald was interested in going to Cuba to join Castro (upon his discharge) in early 1959 and that in early 1959 Oswald allegedly made some contact with the Cuban Consul’s Office in Los Angeles.”

In an article published in Argosy (April, 1976) Gerry Hemming is reported as saying in an interview: “I ran into Oswald in Los Angeles in 1959, when he showed up at the Cuban Consulate. The coordinator of the 26th of July Movement called me aside and said a Marine officer had shown up, intimating that he was prepared to desert and go to Cuba to become a revolutionary.” Gerry was asked: “What was your impression of him? Was he sincere? He replied: “I thought he was a penetrator (of pro-Castro forces). I told the 26th of July leadership to get rid of him. I thought he was on the Naval Intelligence payroll at the time.”

In another part of the interview Gerry said that he believed Oswald was a patsy. It would be interesting to know if Gerry still feels Oswald was a patsy.

The release of FBI files has revealed that they had an informer within Interpen. His code name was MM T-1. In one document dated 16th June, 1961, said the person had “been connected with Cuban revolutionary activities for the past three years”. One document dated 12th May, 1961, claims that Allen Lushane of Miami “had made a trip to Texas to recruit Americans for some future military action against the Government of Cuba”. The document adds that the “first training camp was established by Gerald Patrick Hemming with Dick Watley and Ed Colby running the camp.”

In an interview that he gave to John Newman on 6th January, 1995, Hemming claims that this informer was Justin Joseph “Steve” Wilson.

Does anyone know anything about Allen Lushane?

The release of FBI files has revealed that they had an informer within Interpen. His code name was MM T-1. In one document dated 16th June, 1961, said the person had “been connected with Cuban revolutionary activities for the past three years”. One document dated 12th May, 1961, claims that Allen Lushane of Miami “had made a trip to Texas to recruit Americans for some future military action against the Government of Cuba”. The document adds that the “first training camp was established by Gerald Patrick Hemming with Dick Watley and Ed Colby running the camp.”

In an interview that he gave to John Newman on 6th January, 1995, Hemming claims that this informer was Justin Joseph “Steve” Wilson.

Does anyone know anything about Allen Lushane?

Is it true that the “first training camp was established by Gerald Patrick Hemming with Dick Watley and Ed Colby running the camp.”

Was Steve Wilson really a FBI spy?

• 6 months later...
[...] Was Steve Wilson really a FBI spy?

Interesting question, John.

I haven't read Larry Hancock's "Someone Would Have Talked" yet, but his website has some interesting photos of Steve Wilson juxtaposed next to photos of LHO so that one can see the strong facial resemblence between them. I think Larry is suggesting that Wilson might have been impersonated Oswald at some time or other... Interesting.

--Thomas

Was Steve Wilson really a FBI spy? (John Simkin)

Main body of post deleted by TG.

(I just realized that GPH lives just 1821 miles from me. (John Simkin, would you please please please delete my photo?) LOL

--Thomas

P.S. If any of you on the Forum find the memorandum that James posted a bit confusing, as did, just take the time to google "Steven I Kuhn"......

Edited by Thomas Graves

Was Steve Wilson really a FBI spy? (John Simkin)

Main body of post deleted by TG.

(I just realized that GPH lives just 1821 miles from me. (John Simkin, would you please please please delete my photo?) LOL

--Thomas

P.S. If any of you on the Forum find the memorandum that James posted a bit confusing, as did, just take the time to google "Steven I Kuhn"......

OK now chillin', let's do da bump-de-bump! Here we goes now.....

Damn, don't anyone wanna dance???

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 3 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

If you read down to the quote box displaying page 10 of AJ Weberman's "Nodule 9", it will help explain why I

am posting this. I was reading through the Nodule looking for information unrelated to this post. I got interested

in the excerpts I've posted here, and then I noticed that Mr. Weberman was still researching this, in 2010, so I

figure if it was important enough for him to be spending time on it, maybe it was for me, also. I did some searching

where he said he had reached dead ends, and I came up with this. If Joan Mellen was correct, this USAF general was

the brother-in-law of Gerry P. Hemming's uncle, Robert.

http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=4766

MAJOR GENERAL DAVID D. BRADBURN

Retired Aug. 1, 1976. Died Oct. 18, 2008.

Major General David D. Bradburn is vice commander of the Electronic Systems Division, Air Force Systems Command, at L.G. Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.

General Bradburn was born in Hollywood, Calif., in 1925, and graduated from high school in South Pasadena, Calif., in 1942...

...In May 1948 General Bradburn went to Japan, where he served as a fighter intercept controller with the 610th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at Kyushu until July 1949. He then joined the 3d Bombardment Group at Yokota Air Base, and later at Iwakuni Air Base. He flew 50 combat missions in B-26s over North Korea as flight commander on daylight medium-level bombing, close-support and night-intruder missions.

In December 1952 General Bradburn was assigned as a staff officer, Headquarters Air Research and Development Command, Baltimore, Md., where he worked on aerial reconnaissance equipment (photo, radar) and ground radar (forerunner of the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System. He led the site selection team that picked Trinidad for the prototype BREWS radar.

In May 1957 General Bradburn was picked for assignment to WS117L, the first U.S. Air Force satellite project office, with duty at Western Development Division, ARDC, Los Angeles, Calif. This began a series of assignments of increasing responsibility in the field of military applications of earth satellites.

In December 1960 he was assigned to the Directorate of Special Projects, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, also in Los Angeles, first as a staff officer and later as manager of a space satellite program.

In August 1966, after attending the Air War College and receiving his master of science degree at The George Washington University, General Bradburn returned to the Directorate of Special Projects, Los Angeles, where he remained until April 1971 as deputy director and manager of a group of military space programs.

From April 1971 until January 1973 he was assigned as director of the Office of Space Systems, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.

He returned to the Directorate of Special Projects again in January 1973, this time to serve as the director, with additional duty as deputy commander for satellite programs of the Space and Missile Systems Organization.

General Bradburn reported to his present position in August 1975. ...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QIV_i22GjTAJ:ajweberman.com/noduleX9-GERRY%2520PATRICK%2520HEMMING.pdf+nodule+9+hemming+william&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Page 1

NODULE X9

GERALD PATRICK HEMMING

THE MAN WHO WROTE THE OSWALD SCENARIO

by AJ Weberman

...HEMMING hinted at his friendship with OSWALD:

I had run into him before, he came to Subic Bay, I didn't know who the hell

he was. He saw me. I didn't know him. I visited the radar sites. He was

with a group of people. I didn't much pay attention to him. I might even

Page 6

have drank beer with him and not even remember it. Or at chow he might

have been with a group of people driving from his unit over to the chow

hall that could have overheard numerous conversations and sat there. In

the Marine Corps when you are sent overseas to an outfit, you are sent on

a draft. Usually when you are on a draft, you're not a critical MOS guy. A

guy that may have been OSWALD came through on a draft and then

stopped over in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii and attempted to switch jobs from

this draft with our radar people. He'd rather have not gone to Japan. If the

man dealt with me there it was over a sandwich or a cup of coffee or some

such xxxx. I was busier than a son-of-a-bitch. Now if it was in Iwakuni...

HEMMING told the HSCA he flew to Atsugi three times, but never saw OSWALD.

According to Scott Malone, OSWALD and HEMMING could have met when they were

both in Iwakuni, Japan. HEMMING told his children at he was barely acquainted with

OSWALD at Atsugi...

More from "Nodule 9" by AJ Weberman

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QIV_i22GjTAJ:ajweberman.com/noduleX9-GERRY%2520PATRICK%2520HEMMING.pdf+nodule+9+hemming&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Page 10

....HEMMING'S UNCLE, ART SIMPSON

HEMMING stated his entre into the intelligence community was through his uncle, Art

Simpson, the brother of his mother, Catharine Ellen Simpson. HEMMING told this

researcher: “He knew John McCone, who was involved with my uncle, Art Simpson.

Simpson was one of the un-indicted co-conspirators in John McCone's war profiteering

trial. He was found innocent.” There was no trial.

Born into a prosperous San Francisco family on January 4, 1902, John McCone was a

steel company executive until 1937, when he formed the Bechtel-McCone-Parsons

Corporation. This company specialized in the design and construction of petroleum

refineries for installation in South America and the Middle East. In 1939 John McCone

entered the ship-building business; in 1946, Ralph E. Casey, an investigator for the

Government Accounting Office leveled accusations of profiteering against him, and

John McCone was called before the House Merchant Marine Committee. McCone was

president of the California Shipbuilding Corporation, which was accused by the

Government Accounting Office of having made $44 million in profits from an investment

of $600,000. "Calship" was owned by Henry J. Kaiser. Henry J. Kaiser was in

partnership with Howard Hughes during the war. [Robert Maheu, Next to Hughes, 1992,

Harper Collins p133] Kaiser and McCone made convincing arguments, and the matter

went no further. They were not indicted. The name "Simpson" was absent from the

articles about these hearings. [NYT 9.26.46; Newsweek 10.7.46 p37; Wash. Post

9.26.46; Ross & Wise Invisible Government p193] After the war, John McCone

purchased a million-dollar interest in Standard Oil of California which was owned by the

Rockefeller family. McCone became a member of President Truman's Air Policy

Commission in 1947 and in 1948 he became special deputy to James Forrestal, the

Secretary of Defense. In 1956 John McCone stated: "The uninformed believe that

radioactive fallout from H-bomb tests endangers life." In 1958 he became chairman of

Page 11

the Atomic Energy Commission. He was an avid supporter of the Dulles brothers and a

devout Roman Catholic. On September 27, 1961, President John F. Kennedy

announced the appointment of John McCone as Director of the Central Intelligence

Agency....

....On HEMMING'S application for CIA employment he listed this financial reference:

"Haisa-Pacific Inc., Art Simpson (President)." HEMMING told this researcher: "That was

the Asia Pacific Foundation. Simpson was on the board. It was a proprietary."

It was not the Asia Foundation, an organization that was funded by CIA. In 2010 I

located an Asia Pacific Capital Advisors (213) 680-8811 345 S Figueroa Street Los

Angeles, CA 90071. The Asia Society is located 350 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA

90071 (213) 613-9934 The CIA worked the Rockefeller Foundation, and established

numerous "bogus" foundations to "hide" its funding of the Asia Society and other

NGO’s. Robert Hemming confirmed that his uncle, "Art" Simpson, was a partner with

John McCone in Cal-Ship in San Pedro. HEMMING was telling the truth despite the fact

I cannot locate any relevant traces on Art Simpson....

Well, Mr. Weberman, I can locate relevant traces of both Art and Robert Simpson, and so I have put together this

post.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&tbs=bks%3A1&q=hemming+uncles+robert+art+simpson&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

A farewell to justice: Jim Garrison, JFK's assassination, and the ...

Joan Mellen - 2005 - 547 pages - Snippet view

He added that Hemming "could have been" CIA because "he had the connections," as he revealed his knowledge that Gerald Patrick Hemming had two uncles, Robert and Art Simpson, who had been shipbuilding partners with John McCone during ...

The quote above from Joan Mellen's book is not the "relevant traces" I was referring to. I've located the uncle Art Simpson trial details AJ Weberman said do not exist, and I will post them shortly if there is interest in this post. Aren't the details in the resume of this USAF Maj. General a little too similar to the ones described by Weberman related to Hemming and Oswald to be dismissed as mere coincidence?

If you read down to the quote box displaying page 10 of AJ Weberman's "Nodule 9", it will help explain why I

am posting this. I was reading through the Nodule looking for information unrelated to this post. I got interested

in the excerpts I've posted here, and then I noticed that Mr. Weberman was still researching this, in 2010, so I

figure if it was important enough for him to be spending time on it, maybe it was for me, also. I did some searching

where he said he had reached dead ends, and I came up with this. If Joan Mellen was correct, this USAF general was

http://www.af.mil/in....asp?bioID=4766

Major General David D. Bradburn is vice commander of the Electronic Systems Division, Air Force Systems Command, at L.G. Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.

General Bradburn was born in Hollywood, Calif., in 1925, and graduated from high school in South Pasadena, Calif., in 1942...

...In May 1948 General Bradburn went to Japan, where he served as a fighter intercept controller with the 610th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron at Kyushu until July 1949. He then joined the 3d Bombardment Group at Yokota Air Base, and later at Iwakuni Air Base. He flew 50 combat missions in B-26s over North Korea as flight commander on daylight medium-level bombing, close-support and night-intruder missions.

In December 1952 General Bradburn was assigned as a staff officer, Headquarters Air Research and Development Command, Baltimore, Md., where he worked on aerial reconnaissance equipment (photo, radar) and ground radar (forerunner of the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System. He led the site selection team that picked Trinidad for the prototype BREWS radar.

In May 1957 General Bradburn was picked for assignment to WS117L, the first U.S. Air Force satellite project office, with duty at Western Development Division, ARDC, Los Angeles, Calif. This began a series of assignments of increasing responsibility in the field of military applications of earth satellites.

In December 1960 he was assigned to the Directorate of Special Projects, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, also in Los Angeles, first as a staff officer and later as manager of a space satellite program.

In August 1966, after attending the Air War College and receiving his master of science degree at The George Washington University, General Bradburn returned to the Directorate of Special Projects, Los Angeles, where he remained until April 1971 as deputy director and manager of a group of military space programs.

From April 1971 until January 1973 he was assigned as director of the Office of Space Systems, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.

He returned to the Directorate of Special Projects again in January 1973, this time to serve as the director, with additional duty as deputy commander for satellite programs of the Space and Missile Systems Organization.

http://webcache.goog...n&ct=clnk&gl=us

Page 1

NODULE X9

GERALD PATRICK HEMMING

by AJ Weberman

Page 6

both in Iwakuni, Japan. HEMMING told his children at he was barely acquainted with

OSWALD at Atsugi...

Page 10

HEMMING stated his entre into the intelligence community was through his uncle, Art

researcher: "He knew John McCone, who was involved with my uncle, Art Simpson.

Simpson was one of the un-indicted co-conspirators in John McCone's war profiteering

trial. He was found innocent." There was no trial.

Born into a prosperous San Francisco family on January 4, 1902, John McCone was a

Corporation. This company specialized in the design and construction of petroleum

refineries for installation in South America and the Middle East. In 1939 John McCone

entered the ship-building business; in 1946, Ralph E. Casey, an investigator for the

Government Accounting Office leveled accusations of profiteering against him, and

Government Accounting Office of having made $44 million in profits from an investment

partnership with Howard Hughes during the war. [Robert Maheu, Next to Hughes, 1992,

Harper Collins p133] Kaiser and McCone made convincing arguments, and the matter

purchased a million-dollar interest in Standard Oil of California which was owned by the

radioactive fallout from H-bomb tests endangers life." In 1958 he became chairman of

Page 11

the Atomic Energy Commission. He was an avid supporter of the Dulles brothers and a

announced the appointment of John McCone as Director of the Central Intelligence

Agency....

....On HEMMING'S application for CIA employment he listed this financial reference:

"Haisa-Pacific Inc., Art Simpson (President)." HEMMING told this researcher: "That was

It was not the Asia Foundation, an organization that was funded by CIA. In 2010 I

located an Asia Pacific Capital Advisors (213) 680-8811 345 S Figueroa Street Los

Angeles, CA 90071. The Asia Society is located 350 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA

numerous "bogus" foundations to "hide" its funding of the Asia Society and other

NGO's. Robert Hemming confirmed that his uncle, "Art" Simpson, was a partner with

John McCone in Cal-Ship in San Pedro. HEMMING was telling the truth despite the fact

Well, Mr. Weberman, I can locate relevant traces of both Art and Robert Simpson, and so I have put together this

post.

http://www.google.co...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

He added that Hemming "could have been" CIA because "he had the connections," as he revealed his knowledge that Gerald Patrick Hemming had two uncles, Robert and Art Simpson, who had been shipbuilding partners with John McCone during ...

The quote above from Joan Mellen's book is not the "relevant traces" I was referring to. I've located the uncle Art Simpson trial details AJ Weberman said do not exist, and I will post them shortly if there is interest in this post. Aren't the details in the resume of this USAF Maj. General a little too similar to the ones described by Weberman related to Hemming and Oswald to be dismissed as mere coincidence?

Bring it on!

http://www.af.mil/in....asp?bioID=4766

Page 1

NODULE X9

GERALD PATRICK HEMMING

by AJ Weberman

Page 6

OSWALD at Atsugi...

Page 10

researcher: "He knew John McCone, who was involved with my uncle, Art Simpson.

trial. He was found innocent." There was no trial.

Page 11

Agency....

NGO's. Robert Hemming confirmed that his uncle, "Art" Simpson, was a partner with

post.

http://www.google.co...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Bring it on!

Bill

Hemming suggests other times he met Oswald,Ferrie and Ruby in connection with selling jeeps to the cubans .

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/hsca/unpub_testimony/Hemming_3-21-78/html/Hemming_0006a.htm

I myself do not know the validity of these claims but if someone could point me in the general direction I will have a good look through so to speak.

Ian