The Education Forum

Dwight Eisenhower and the Oil Industry

John Simkin

In 1950 Dwight Eisenhower had purchased a small farm for $24,000. According to Drew Pearson and Jack Anderson (The Case Against Congress), several oil millionaires, including W. Alton Jones, B. B. Byers and George E. Allen, began acquiring neighbouring land for Eisenhower. Jonathan Kwitny (Endless Enemies) has argued that over the next few years Eisenhower's land became worth over $1 million: "Most of the difference represented the gifts of Texas oil executives connected to Rockefeller oil interests. The oilmen acquired surrounding land for Eisenhower under dummy names, filled it with livestock and big, modern barns, paid for extensive renovations to the Eisenhower house, and even wrote out checks to pay the hired help."

In 1956 there was an attempt to end all federal price control over natural gas. Sam Rayburn played an important role in getting it through the House of Representatives. This is not surprising as according to John Connally, he alone had been responsible for a million and a half dollars of lobbying.

Paul Douglas and William Langer led the fight against the bill. Their campaigned was helped by a speech by Francis Case of South Dakota. Up until this time Case had been a supporter of the bill. However, he announced that he had been offered a $25,000 bribe by the Superior Oil Company to guarantee his vote. As a man of principal, he thought he should announce this fact to the Senate.

Lyndon B. Johnson responded by claiming that Case had himself come under pressure to make this statement by people who wanted to retain federal price controls. Johnson argued: “In all my twenty-five years in Washington I have never seen a campaign of intimidation equal to the campaign put on by the opponents of this bill.” Johnson pushed on with the bill and it was eventually passed by 53 votes to 38. However, three days later, Dwight D. Eisenhower, vetoed the bill on grounds of immoral lobbying. Eisenhower confided in his diary that this had been “the most flagrant kind of lobbying that has been brought to my attention”. He added that there was a “great stench around the passing of this bill” and the people involved were “so arrogant and so much in defiance of acceptable standards of propriety as to risk creating doubt among the American people concerning the integrity of governmental processes”.

The decision by Dwight D. Eisenhower to veto this bill angered the oil industry. Once again Sid Richardson and Clint Murchison began negotiations with Eisenhower. In June, 1957, Eisenhower agreed to appoint their man, Robert Anderson, as his Secretary of the Treasury. According to Robert Sherrill in his book, The Accidental President: "A few weeks later Anderson was appointed to a cabinet committee to "study" the oil import situation; out of this study came the present-day program which benefits the major oil companies, the international oil giants primarily, by about one billion dollars a year."

According to Jonathan Kwitny (Endless Enemies) from 1955 to 1963, the Richardson, Murchison, and Rockefeller interests (arranged by John McCloy) and the International Basic Economy Corporation (100% owned by the Rockefeller family) gave "away a $900,000 slice of their Texas-Louisiana oil property" to Robert B. Anderson, Eisenhower's Secretary of the Treasury.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should also be pointed out that in his memoirs, while discussing the corrosive influence of oil money on American politics, Eisenhower told the story of one Senator whose oil businessman son was offered business deals in an attempt to sway the father. The Senator? Eisenhower's golf buddy, Prescott Bush. The son? George H. W. Bush.

As far as the value of Eisenhower's land going up, that may have been a coincidence. Eisenhower's farm was built near the Gettysburg battlefield. The increase in land value may have been related to the rapid commercialization of the area in the fifties. On the other hand, maybe not. In Dark Victory, Dan Moldea discusses a similar sweetheart land deal created for Reagan by his supporters. It smelled to high heaven. Of course, Nixon had his Hughes loan and his FLA and CA houses and the Clintons had their Whitewater fiasco.

Perhaps Presidents and Governors should be prohibited from making real estate transactions while in office. Perhaps the SEC should investigate real estate transactions as well as stock transactions.

Edited by Pat Speer

Man. Looks to me like the recent exposures in the forum have really hit a nerve somewhere.

Ashton

[/quote]EXPOSURES!!!!!!!!! IF YOU PEOPLE HAVE A CASE FOR A CONSPIRACY AND THE PROOF OF IT! TAKE IT TO THE WORLD COURT...........I'VE HEARD THE SAME CRAP FOR 43 YEARS!!!!!!!!! SHOW ME A PHOTO OF A SHOT FROM THE GRASSY KNOLL??? TAKE IT TO SCOTLAND YARD! YOU DON'T TRUST AMERICA......ALL I'M SAYING ........IS SHOW ME THE PROOF.......EVERYONE HAS SEEN UFO'S!!!!!!! BUT ? CAN THEY SHOW YOU FILM FOOTAGE OR A CRASHED UFO?????? YOUR TRYING TO PICK GNAT xxxx OUT OF A BOWL OF PEPPER WHEN YOU CONDEM EVERY USA PRESIDENT FROM HARRY TRUMAN TO G.W. BUSH........FOR THE MURDER OF JFK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ASHTON GREY....YOU DIDN'T HIT A NERVE..MAYBE YOUR ANOTHER ONE WHO IS TRYING TO PROFIT FROM THE DEATH OF JFK!!!!!!!!!THE GREATER QUESTION IS!////???? WHO IS JOHN SIMKIN WORKING FOR?????????????? AND BY THE WAY'THIS FORUM IS ONE SIDED???????????????????????????????????

Richard,

If you want your points to be discussed rather than ignored, try losing the caps lock key and tone down on the punctuation. One exclamation point is plenty.

Richard, there is substantial medical evidence indicating a conspiracy. Please read my presentation at the link below for the details.

You are correct in some of your assertions, however. Most of the people on this forum do tend to think of the assassination as a symptom of a larger illness, and look at American history to try and understand the context of the assassination. This leads to a lot of digging in the dirt. This obsession with digging in the dirt leads to an anti-American tone. As a patriotic American, I understand your concerns. It cannot be disputed, however, that most American politicians, in their rise to power, make compromises, and play ball with special interest groups. This often leads to genuine quid pro quo type corruption. Other times it leads to a corrupt environment, whereby basically honest men, like Eisenhower, will be influenced, without their necessarily even knowing it.

Are you disputing that there is corruption in the political process, and that people in power almost always benefit financially from their power?

Are you disputing that U.S. foreign policy is conducted largely for the benefit of U.S. economic interests?

Are you disputing that political corruption and U.S. economic interests could have played a role in Kennedy's death?

Or are you merely disputing our right to discuss such things?

Edited by Pat Speer

HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONE THREAD AFTER THE OTHER , YOU PEOPLE KNOCK THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.......DON'T BELIEVE ME? GO BACK AND READ PREVIOUS THREADS!!!!!!! IT'S ONE CONSPIRACY AFTER THE OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NOVEMBER 22,1963 ALSO.............. STICK TO THE SUBJECT!!!!!!! NOT THIS CRAP ABOUT HARRY TRUMAN BOMBING HIROSHIMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1THE FORUM NAME IS THE JFK ASSASSINATION DEBATE! NOT RUNNING THE USA DOWN!!!!!!! YES I'M PISSED OFF! AMERICA NEEDS TO PULL BACK AND STAY OUT OF THE PROBLEMS OF THE REST OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THE MINUTE SOMETHING SOMETHING GOES WRONG.. THE WORLD CRIES OUT WHERE IS AMERICA...NO MORE AMERICAN BLOOD FOR ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Richard,

I got a little secret for ya-- the Commies did it. Feel better now? Good. Now go away. PLEASE????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

WHO IS JOHN SIMKIN WORKING FOR?????????????? AND BY THE WAY'THIS FORUM IS ONE SIDED???????????????????????????????????

I work for myself. In fact, I am a fairly successful capitalist. My income comes from the advertising that appears on my website. My sponsors therefore are often the corporations that I am attacking. Isn’t the web wonderful?

What are my motivations? This is what appeared in the Times yesterday:

“Governments perpetually try to keep secrets from the public” says John Simkin. They call it national security but in reality, it’s an attempt to cover up illegal or immoral activities. I’m just being an active citizen. I don’t like being misled and the Kennedy assassination is an incredible case of the public being misled.”

Yes I am biased (subjective) in my comments. We all are. So are you, although you hide behind the label of “patriotic American” you are probably a right-wing Republican. Anyway, that does not matter, as long as you can logical argue your case.

Nor am I anti-American. I am just against corruption. See for example my thread on the corruption of Tony Blair.

Therefore, what did I get wrong about Eisenhower’s dealings with the oil industry? If I didn’t get anything wrong, why are you not concerned about corrupt politicians and businessmen? The large number of Americans on the forum are concerned about this corruption. They are the real patriotic Americans.

British the most spied-on people in western world

BRITISH people are now more spied upon by their political leaders than any other population in the free world, according to an official report.

The linkage of databases and surveillance systems mean people are now having their movements tracked, habits profiled and photograph taken hundreds of times a day. The findings, in a report compiled on behalf of Richard Thomas, the information commissioner, raised concerns that Britain is “waking up in a surveillance society”.

Thomas said: “Many of these schemes are public sector driven, and the individual has no choice over whether or not to take part. People are being scrutinised and having their lives tracked, and are not even aware of it.

“They don’t know, for instance, that a record is kept of every internet site they visit. They don’t realise that when identity cards come in, there will be a record of their movements and every time they have engaged with any public service.”

I agree. I have no time for Blair's attempt to undermine our freedom. I have posted on this on other parts of the forum (you are wrong to think that this is only a JFK forum).

Now, what do you think of Dwight Eisenhower's corrupt activities?

Dwight Eisenhower's corrupt activities? SIR JOHN......WHAT WORLD LEADER ISN'T CORRUPT! WHAT GOVERNMENT ISN'T CORRUPT! POLITICAL POWER BREEDS CORRUPTION. THE BIBLE IS FULL OF CORRUPTION. IT IS THE NATURE OF MANKIND! AND WILL NEVER BE CHANGED.

It is true that politicians are easily corruptible. That is why in a democracy with freedom of speech we have to constantly make them accountable. This has become easier with the emergence of the internet (politicians are very good at controlling other forms of media).

This is not to say that all politicians are equally corrupt. The US has unfortunately had a great number of corrupt presidents since the war: Dwight Eisenhower, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerard Ford, Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush. However, I believe Harry Truman and Jimmy Carter were fairly honest.

I also think that as far as the UK was concerned Clement Atlee, Winston Churchill, Harold Macmillan, Alec Douglas Home, Harold Wilson and Edward Heath did what they could to maintain an honest government. Things declined in the late 1970s and we haven’t had an honest prime minister since. This is partly due to the way politics are financed. Unfortunately, this is a problem we have imported from the United States.

By the way, I hope your long posts have not been taken from other websites. If so, you are guilty of breaking copyright unless you acknowledge where it comes from.

Given the erudite and relevant contributions of the newest member (who apparently arrived under the "new, improved" membership requirements), I thought I should add something just as pertinent to this thread and this forum:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought --

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'

He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

Ashton

THANK YOU! IF IT WASN'T FOR GENERAL EISENHOWER,YOU YOU AND ALL OF EUROPE WOULD BE DOING THE THE GOOSE STEP AND WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SHARE YOUR POETIC VERSES.....THINK ABOUT IT..........RICHARD /CIA HEADQUARTERS/LANGLEY/VA/USA

I am aware that General Eisenhower played an important role in the Second World War but this statement is completely ridiculous. It also has nothing to do with the subject of the thread (nor does your postings about examples of British corruption). It seems that you are the new Tim Gratz.

THANK YOU! IF IT WASN'T FOR GENERAL EISENHOWER,YOU YOU AND ALL OF EUROPE WOULD BE DOING THE THE GOOSE STEP AND WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SHARE YOUR POETIC VERSES.....THINK ABOUT IT..........RICHARD /CIA HEADQUARTERS/LANGLEY/VA/USA

I am aware that General Eisenhower played an important role in the Second World War but this statement is completely ridiculous. It also has nothing to do with the subject of the thread (nor does your postings about examples of British corruption).

I know why he's here, and I know exactly why he's trying to sabotage this exact thread. When you posted about Case and the bribe, you just missed by this >< much what all that smoke was there to obfuscate: the CIA running their Siberia Bill through the House at almost the exact instant that Case was handed the cash through the oil interests.

Funny, but Case didn't bring this little matter of the cash up in Congress until two weeks later, on Friday, 3 February 1956.

The fascist pig Richard M. Nixon was in the woodwork trying to help get the CIA's Nazi-model psychiatric concentration camp set up in Alaska with a huge land grant (which of course didn't have anything to do with oil interests—doncha' know).

Anybody familiar with these forums, and especially with the Watergate forum, will know full well the extraordinary amount of energy and ink the resident CIA apologist here has expended trying to paint me as a Nixon-lover. But he's the Main Mouthpiece of the Official Story here, and wants all attention kept on the CIA's fall-guy Nixon so the CIA can keep being fawned over by him as poor patriot good guys just trying to get through the day and earn their paychecks.

But Nixon knew damned well that MK-ULTRA had been created less than three years before the "Alaska Mental Health Bill," and also, it seems, knew damned well about the CIA's secretive perfection of the subject of brainwashing that they had gotten all worked out just in time for their Siberia Bill to get pushed through.

And guess who grabbed the headlines just when it was about to go through the Senate, and become in the United States what Los Angeles Superior Court judge Joseph M. Call, who made a careful study of the act from the legal standpoint, characterized as "the police state working at its best."

It wasn't four years later that Kennedy was elected, and the exact same CIA regime who had been thwarted in the eleventh hour at establishing their psychiatrically controlled police state sure as hell hadn't given up.

I said in another thread that we ain't seen ugly yet. We're getting a glimpse.

Ashton

Edited by Ashton Gray

My posts are ridiculous! Where have you been? The Warren Commission solved this case in Sept. 1964. A Blue Ribbon panel appointed by the Honorable Lyndon Baines Johnson! For 43 years one conspiracy breeds another conspiracy. People in trees shooting,the magic bullet,tampering with the Zapruder film,George Bush involved,umbrella man,badge man,radio man,cia,mafia,and the list goes on. And why does it continue? People cannot accept the fact that one indivdual on the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository murdered JFK. Prove me wrong. Show me the evidence.

!1

For starters, you should consider reading some books on the subject... For starters, I'd recommend "Breach of Trust" by Gerald McKnight. This will help give perspective on what the Warren Commission was really chartered to do. I'll give you a hint, though. It wasn't to "solve the case."

But now, some questions for you:

There have been two government "investigations" into the JFK. One said LHO acted alone, a second one indicated that LHO was involved, but there was substantial evidence of conspiracy. Which one got it right? Both? Neither?

Secondly, if you've got it all figured out, why are you here?