The Education Forum

Donald Norton

The most curious address of all for DONALD O. NORTON

is the one on COSTA BRAVA in Las Vegas, which is identical address

to a CIA safehouse which was the same address as ART SWANSON,

"JFK researcher" and admitted CIA "former employee".

Armstrong's research established that this "safehouse" is owned

by neither Swanson nor Norton...but by a bank believed to be

a CIA front in St. Louis.

I believe Donald O. Norton is likely Robert's brother. I don't know

who Donald P. Norton may have been.

Someone ought to research the TWO NORTONS in depth. It might

just be the key to cracking the case.

Jack

Donald O. Norton has a brother who worked in Army Intelligence. I believe. Donald was in the service. Both these men are natural redheads. At thecloakofdarkness.blogspot.com

in the archive Sept '05 and thereabouts, you can read and see photos of the Norton's and unmistakenly Ralph Geb -- the file was opening slowly and I saw that name. I never heard of him before, but wrote it down. Turns out he was involved in the Assassination and probably knew Norton.

Kathy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter, as far as John has told me, the only resistance he has encountered

to his research HAS BEEN FROM A FEW JFK RESEARCHERS...notably Dave

Perry, Gary Mack, and David Lifton (and a few others).

Lifton, who was nearing publication of a book on LHO after YEARS of

research, had to stop and reevaluate after studying John's work. His book

apparently is still on hold.

Jack

• 6 months later...

From Treefrog (Ed) :

This photo (of guy in mustache with Ranger hat) is a from a local Avon Park Florida newspaper press release on "Red's Fishing Tackle" store opening, when they did a story on Don Norton, which Norton posted on a cork bulletin board inside the entrance to the

store.

Donald Norton was discussed in John Armstrong's Definitive work "Harvey & Lee" on the 2 Oswalds. John has Evidence in his book proving beyond a shadow of doubt that there were at least two Oswalds. Copies of his masterpiece book, for which I give 5 stars, are still available from Shelby Della Rosa at Shelby DellaRosa Online Sales A CD included with the book has the photos and evidence needed to convince any doubting Thomas that the book is legitimate. PO Box 6353 Brandon FL 33508 shelby@jfkbookstore.com

John Judge of COPA, first encountered Don Norton in Akron Ohio, and can expound on this event at length. His photo was shown in the Oliver

Stone Movie JFK, on his passport.

One of the girls that was dating Don Norton in Akron, retrieved 2 letters that Lee sent her, and he did not sign his name, but printed it instead. This is consistent with what Judyth Vary Baker told us, that he printed his signature.

One of the members of the South Florida Research Group located Don Norton 2

years ago, when he was operating a Fishing Tackle Store called "Red's Fishing Tackle" in Avon Park, Florida. When he returned to the store last year, the store was empty and had been closed, only lasting for 6 months, according to the neighboring stores,

said that "Red" tried to sell "upscale" fishing tackle, which was more expensive than the traffic would bear in that part of Florida, which is mostly blue collar. When I spoke with Don Norton in his store in 2005, he complained that "Business could be better". A lady with blonde hair was with him at the cashiers counter, approximately the same age as Norton.

I assumed that she may have been Mrs. Norton. His hair was dyed red, which was what John Armstrong told us several years ago, when he visited Norton's home in Jupiter FL while pretending to be a real estate buyer, since Norton's home was then on the market.

Armstrong toured the Jupiter house posing as a prospective buyer on a Friday, and then attempted to revisit the property on the following Monday, but much to his amazement, the house was completely empty, and Norton had moved, never to be found again until we located him at Red's Fishing Tackle store in Avon Park. Obviously Norton had been tipped off that John Armstrong had located him.

If anybody has seen him recently, please notify the Frog

BK: There's a lot of misinformation in this note.

For starters, there's two Don Nortons, Don O. and Don P., and I think it was Don P., the small, thin, gay Norton, not this one, Don O.

Whichever one he met, John Judge was in Dayton, Ohio, not Akron, and it was Mae Brussell who had the letters from Norton without his signature, and I don't know anything about the rest.

I don't believe Judty Baker about anything, and John Armstrong didn't include much about the Nortons in his book, as far as I remember.

As for Don O. the fisherman, I think he may be the Don Norton who used to live on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and maybe the one who wrote the history of a defense contractor. I don't think his tackle shop going out of business is very suspicious, as those types of operations are seasonal and iffy, financially.

Where ever he is, you can bet Donny O is near water.

I'd like to locate the other one - Donald P. Norton, as was recruited to spy on the gays in the military and had the right connections to know something.

BK

His hair was dyed red, which was what John Armstrong told us several years ago, when he visited Norton's home in Jupiter FL while pretending to be a real estate buyer, since Norton's home was then on the market.

Where ever he is, you can bet Donny O is near water.

BK

So my instincts were right when I followed a hunch and looked up fishing businesses. I came across not only Don O Norton, but Ralph Geb as well. Eventually, under some pretext, I wrote to the website about Ralph Geb and was told a week later that his name was Bill Dietz from North Carolina. But the website displayed the name Ralph Geb as his picture downloaded. I had never heard of him, but looked it up on the Internet as an after thought and found Ralph Geb, an impersonator of LHO at the Mexican and Russian embassies in Mexico. What struck me about his picture initially was that he looked like the Norton yearbook photo.

About Don O Norton's red hair being dyed: I'd like to meet his hairdresser because it's a beautiful, natural-looking shade of red. But when I did my research of him, he was surrounded by redheads. I never saw so many redheaded men.

thecloakofdarkness.blogspot.com

Kathy

John Armstrong spent several months studying Norton, including

trips to Ohio and Florida. He found much suspicious CIRCUMSTANTIAL

evidence linking Norton to intelligence activities. He felt his evidence

was NOT strong enough to include in his book, although he told many

researchers of his findings.

One of the strongest ties he found was that "JFK researcher" Art

Swanson (admitted former CIA employee) and Norton once

shared the same house in Las Vegas; Armstrong traced ownership

of the house to Boatmen's National Bank of St. Louis, believed to

be a CIA front organization, and speculated that the Las Vegas

address on Costa Brava Blvd was a safehouse. He also found that

for a time, Norton ran a group of "retirement" homes which seemed

to be for former spooks. Though filing for bankruptcy several

times, Norton always seemed to have a big supply of funding. He

changed residences and businesses suddenly and on a regular

basis. Privately, John and I think from the evidence indicates an

LHO tie...but he could not prove it.

Jack

John Armstrong spent several months studying Norton, including

trips to Ohio and Florida. He found much suspicious CIRCUMSTANTIAL

evidence linking Norton to intelligence activities. He felt his evidence

was NOT strong enough to include in his book, although he told many

researchers of his findings.

One of the strongest ties he found was that "JFK researcher" Art

Swanson (admitted former CIA employee) and Norton once

shared the same house in Las Vegas; Armstrong traced ownership

of the house to Boatmen's National Bank of St. Louis, believed to

be a CIA front organization, and speculated that the Las Vegas

address on Costa Brava Blvd was a safehouse. He also found that

for a time, Norton ran a group of "retirement" homes which seemed

to be for former spooks. Though filing for bankruptcy several

times, Norton always seemed to have a big supply of funding. He

changed residences and businesses suddenly and on a regular

basis. Privately, John and I think from the evidence indicates an

LHO tie...but he could not prove it.

Jack

All very interesting...needless to say that if one could gather enough circumstantial or factual leads

that the 'assassin' or his double or his stand-in, impersonator or the person with which he had a mixed identity

existed (and exists still).....would be prima facia evidence of conspiracy, cover-up, foul-play and more.

As Armstrong has for now apparently lost the urge to pursue this further, someone else should pick up the ball and run with it! I think Armstrong's book is invaluable, but this line of research needs to progress.

Jack, Does any of what Anderson investigated fit in with info on Norton on pages 157-160 of Mellen's A Farewell To Justice - as there seem to have been multiple Nortons as well as multiple Oswalds.

I don't have the Mellen book.

I forgot to mention the coincidence factor. The CIA and I suppose other intel agencies

make heavy use of DUAL IDENTITIES and false identities...two Oswalds, two Marguerites,

etc...so the fact of TWO DON NORTONS in itself is suspicious.

Jack

DONALD P. NORTON – By William E. Kelly, Jr. [ bkjfk3@yahoo.com ] As summarized from interview notes taken by investigators (Charles Ward/R. Billings) for the New Orleans District Attorney (NODA) and newspaper clips, released by the NARA under the JFK Act.

Born on January 23, 1932, a native of Columbus, Georgia, Donald P. Norton was raised and educated in Georgia before entering the U.S. Air Force in October, 1949. A musician who played the organ and self-described TV personality, Norton enlisted with the understanding he would play in the Air Force Band, which he did until 1952 when he was discharged over what he described as a "personal involvement" and an "indiscretion" that led to him being sentenced to six months in a federal prison.

Returning to Georgia he continued his musical education at a conservatory where he earned a bachelor and master degrees and in 1957 a job playing at the officers club at Fort Benning, Columbus, Georgia, where he performed for and met generals and other officers and officals. While there he was approached by a man representing the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), who told him "we want to know who does what to whom," which the NODA investigator surmised, "the obvious implication being that it would his duty to ferret out homosexuals in high military places." The money, Norton said, was good, $500 a month, and Norton continued what he called his "witch hunting" assignment until 1958, when the colonel who employed him was charged with embezzlement.

Norton then moved to Atlanta where he performed on weekends at the officers club, whose secretary Norton was convinced, was also a government agent, continuing to turn over information about homosexuals, proof "based on experience."

In early 1958 he received a phone call from his contact who asked him if he would like to take a trip to Cuba. He met "Hugh Pharris" at the Easter Airline ticket counter at the Atlanta Airport. "Pharris" gave him a case of phonograph records, saying "it is in the jackts," samples of which he was to take to Carlo Media, a Cuban television personality, who was also working for the CIA at the time. "Pharris" was described as a man who wore sun glasses and a very sloppy wig, who Norton is convinced was David Ferrie. A young lady was with him, Carlotta Roth, a dancer at the Domino Lounge in Atlanta. After traveling to Cuba, Norton returned to Georgia via Miami and New York and reported to his CIA contact in Atlanta.

Norton said his next assignment was to infiltrate the Fulton County jail, where he was placed in the same cell with Robert Bolling, accused of dynamiting a synagogue. Other assignments were more his specialty, to determine the existence of homosexuals in government jobs.

In 1960, while on a pleasure trip to New Orleans, Norton said he went to the My-O-My Club, a homosexual hangout, where he saw "Hugh Pharris" (aka David Ferrie), though he didn't break operational security and talk to him.

According to the NODA investigation report of the interview with Norton, "…it should be noted that the man's (Norton's) physical appearance and his behavior indicate at a glance his sexual nature. A man of rather delicate features, slightly overweight, he is extremely nervous, a chain smoker, which may well be explained by the fact that he is indeed frightened. On the other hand, he is a fast-talking, well rehearsed witness, although his testimony is often confusing due to his penchant for inconsequential gossip. He has a very inflated ego about his musical talents and his ability to decipher weaknesses of others. He describes himself as a passive homosexual who is really a bisexual, although the latter terminology must be considered doubtful. On observation it must be stated that it seems unlikely that a man of such homosexual tendencies would be employed by the intelligence agency, but, as he described the nature of his work, this was exactly the reason they hired him. He described the reason for going to work for the agency as two-fold. One, 'they had something on me,' he says, and two, 'the money was good.'"

Norton said he was paid on an assignment-by-assignment basis, received his orders by phone from a man who was only identified as "the Captain," and never heard the term "CIA" by the initials used to describe the agency, and the first reference was the last reference to the company. He was tightly insulated from other CIA operatives and only knows of a few others who have worked for the agency.

In September, 1962, Norton said he was given the assignment of delivering $50,000 to the Hotel Yamajel, in Monterray, Mexico. Driving in his own 1956 Buick, he registered under his own name.

According to the NODA investigator's report, "It should be noted here that Norton's knowledge of Cuban policy of this country is extremely vague. He is able to theorize as if it were some revelation that the United States or CIA was behind the overthrow of Batista, but then when Castro threw out the CIA, it in turn, and the U.S. government turned against Castro. He does however say that Carlo Media, the CIA-employed Cuban is now in a Castro prison, so he thinks. He says that after the Castro overthrow his only assignment involving Cuba was this courier trip to Monterray to turn over $50,000 to Harvey Lee…"

After registering at the Yamajel Hotel, Norton said he was met by "Harvey Lee" before he could even get to his room. They went into the bar and had a few beers. Norton described "Harvey Lee" as "a man of slight build who dressed casually, who appeared identical to Oswald except for the fact that his hair was not as thin as the hair of the man he saw in pictures identified as Lee Harvey Oswald."

Norton also noted that "Harvey Lee" refused to look him in the eye. When asked where he was from, Norton recalled the answer, he thinks, was New Orleans. In return for the case of money, in return Norton was given a case of documents in manila envelops, "the nature of which he does not know."

From Monterray, Norton said he then drove to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where he became a television personality and played at the bar of the Georgian Terrace restaurant. "There he was met by a man he can only describe as resembling Oral Roberts, the evangelist, and says this man came to him and used the code identification 'the weather is very warm in Tulsa," and Norton turned over the documents to him in the parking lot, where the man was driving a Volkswagon.

Returning to the United States, Norton was arrested at the behest of Albert Penn of Five Points, Alabama, who Norton knew as a homosexual, and from whom he received some of his instructions. Penn accused Norton of stealing checks, but he was acquitted of the charge and released.

In 1965 Norton went to Albany, Georgia, where he was contacted by "the Captain," who may be also known as "Del Merton." In Albany in 1966 he saw a man he now knows to be Clay Shaw with James A. Gray, an extreme right-wing political power, talking together at the Double Gate Country Club. Gray then offered to help establish Norton in Albany with a $6,000 loan, which was ostensibly and surreptitiously repaid by the CIA. Norton described Gary as a dangerous person and moneyman behind the Continental Room, where Gordon Leonard was the front man. Norton later crossed paths with Clay Shaw once again at the Domino Bar in Atlanta.

In Albany, Norton was told to recruit the services of an ex-Marine police officer, John Stickler, and a friend, Jack C. White, Jr., but failed to follow through on the assignment.

In late November 1966 Norton was instructed to go to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, where he was to get the names of the homosexuals working at the missile tracking station on Grand Bahama, his last assignment for the CIA. After a week he returned to Miami where he called his contact, a "Mr. Green," who informed him that "something was brewing in New Orleans and…he should take a long, quiet vacation."

According to the NODA report, "Norton claims he had no idea as to the nature of the New Orleans development, and that he had no idea why he was being told to take this vacation. It worried him a great deal, so he went on a long circuitous trip attempting to find out what was happening, shy he had been summarily dismissed, so to speak. He suspected that he had done something wrong but did not know the nature of the misdeed. He first went o Key West to contact a CIA friend there, but was unsuccessful. He returned to Miami but was unable to reach Green again. He then drove to Savannna, and by this time was really frightened. He got in a plane and flew to Dallas and tried to contact a man named Stanley Walsh, who he had known in Houston, a man he describes as a former trapeze artist, a former paratrooper who had been working for the agency…"

Flying to Honolulu, Norton contacted a retired naval captain, a doctor then in private practice, who told Norton to forget the problem. Another CIA contact, Bill Rusk, came from Texas, an alcoholic with Mafia connections who ran a liquor store in the Pioneer Hotel, who told him, "Join the party or get out."

From there Norton went to Canada to hide out, but inexplicitly talked to a reporter, John Taylor of the British Columbia Vancover Sun, requesting that Taylor put him in contact with the New Orleans District Attorney's office. On August 5, 1967, the headline read: "AMERICAN, 'NOWHERE ELSE TO GO' COMES HERE TO TELL FANTASTIC TALE LINKS CIA WITH OSWALD, CLAY SHAW."

"A link between Lee Harvey Oswald, Clay Shaw, David Ferrie and the Central Intelligence Agency is claimed by a man now in Vancover. Donald P. Norton, 35, told The Sun he encountered all three while he was on the payroll of the CIA, the U.S. espionage agency."

"Norton has been interviewed here and in New Orleans by officials of the New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrision, whose investigation has been questioned by many sources, alleged a conspiracy between Shaw and Oswald in the assassination of former U.S. president John F. Kennedy."

"…Norton first came to see The Sun, July 8. Since then many details of Norton's story have been confirmed. But the authenticity of his central claims defy verification by normal newspaper investigation…"

xxxxyyyyzzz

Edited by William Kelly

Donald O. Norton:

Here are 2 buildings at the addresses of Anoka Ave and a doctor's office at W. Pleasant St in Avon Park, FL via Google Earth.

Kathy

That roof on this Google Earth is not a real roof, but a computer generated one...why?

I went back and looked again, and the roof does appear to be faked. Whey would anybody

put a fake roof on this building?

Jack

I notice the roof covers the entire building -- is someone trying to hide something?

Kathy

Norton for beginners...(posted with permission from Rich DellaRosa.)

Just a brief recap for the newbies:

A person who identified himself as Donald Norton introduced himself to researchers

Mae Brussell and John Judge in the early 1970s and told them he was Lee Oswald.

For a more detailed account see: http://jfkresearch.com/forum3/index.php/topic,38.0.html

(Mae later told Judge that "Norton had been supporting her radio show by sending

contributions he called CONSCIENCE MONEY...jw)

Several, let's call them researchers, have been muddying the waters regarding this

individual.  I have a problem with folks who are careless with research and it has been

demonstrated that when erroneous information gets on the internet it takes on a life

of its own.

In his comprehensive research on the 2 Oswalds, John Armstrong investigated Donald

O. Norton. He spoke to people claiming to know Norton when he was growing up in

Stowe, Ohio, outside of Akron and John traveled to a variety of locations where Norton

had lived and was employed.  Armstrong has done more research on Norton than

anyone else I know.

The question, as yet unanswered conclusively, is "Can Donald Oreste Norton be

the man who was born Lee Harvey Oswald in 1939 in New Orleans??"

In 2003, John Armstrong decided not to include Norton in his book Harvey & Lee

because although his research was exhaustive he felt he was less than 100%

certain that Norton is Oswald.  John established high standards in performing

his research.  I wish all researchers followed suit.

When last we left Lee Oswald in John's book, Lee Oswald was mistaken for Harvey on

11/22/63 by Officer J.D. Tippit.  Tippit ostensibly was supposed to locate and kill

Harvey.  Lee, in an act of self defense, shot Tippit before Tippit could shoot him.

Lee then walked off into history.

He then seemed to reappear to Judge and Brussell.  When news of that encounter

became known, various researchers began a search for Donald O. Norton. Some

tracked him to various locales from Ohio to Florida. 

In a case where we find two Oswalds, two Marguerites, two Judyth Bakers (??),

we have two Don Nortons.  A Donald P. Norton turned up during the

Garrison investigations in the late 1960s.  Donald P. was a homosexual

plant who performed a series of assignments for the CIA and who, while

performing those duties, encountered Oswald and Clay Shaw.  Donald P. was

mentioned in Paris Flammonde's book on the Garrison investigation and

it appears that Flammonde has written further about him in subsequent books

and in an upcoming, yet to be released, book.  Please note: Donald P. and

Donald O. Norton are 2 separate people, unrelated except for similar names.

John Armstrong last tracked Donald O. Norton to a residence in Jupiter, FL

on the east coast area of Ft Lauderdale.  Though John attempted numerous

times to confront Norton, he never came face-to-face with him.  It seemed

that Norton kept one step ahead of Armstrong.

In 2003 I ran a People Search report on Donald O. Norton.  At that time,

his current residence was listed as Avon Park, FL, about a 45 minute drive

from here.  When Armstrong was in my office, I asked him if he was aware

that Norton had apparently moved from Jupiter to Avon Park.  He wasn't.

It is important to note that in the report, there was more than one residence

listed for Norton in the past but where Norton never actually resided. One

notable one was in Nevada which curiously had been a residence for

Art Swanson, a self-admitted former CIA employee.  That house was owned

or financed by Boatman's bank in St Louis which is believed to be a CIA

front company.  Although Norton never actually lived at that address, he

apparently listed that residence on a credit application.  Armstrong discovered

another address in Seattle but where neither Norton, nor his wife Lexie,

ever resided.

Now when we came upon this information, we shared it on the forum and a

few individuals began to follow up on some leads and some began to post

on other venues and mis-stated much of the above.

One or two discovered that the Avon Park Norton had colored his hair red

and had adopted the nickname "Red." They further discovered that Red

operated a bait & tackle shop and booked deep sea fishing charters

(a bit strange since Avon Park is not on either of Florida's coasts).

Now one of those guys found an email address for Red and he sent him an

email asking if he was Lee Harvey Oswald? And Red wrote back "No."

Case closed, huh?  If nothing else ol' Red knew we found him. Just imagine

someone denying they had a part in a capital offense. Duh.

Add to all this strangeness the fact that recently Red closed his tackle shop

and left Avon Park almost literally over night.  Norton has done that before.

Donald O. Norton of Stowe, Ohio was born in 1949 -- which makes him

10 years younger than Lee Oswald. And, it would have made him 14

in 1963. That would seem to rule out Norton being the birth Oswald,

right?

Hmmmmmm, well no, not exactly.  Suppose for a moment that a

Donald O. Norton was born in 1949 in Stowe, Ohio in a dysfunctional

family.  He went to school there, and he had a real birth certificate and

a real Social Security #.  Then something happened -- perhaps he

was killed or MIA in Viet Nam.

If after Lee Oswald killed Tippit, he was to be given a new identity

(name, birth certificate, SS#, etc) rather than given him a bogus,

made up identity what if they gave him Donald O. Norton's ID? All

"they" would need to do was obscure the details of Norton's death.

Few researchers, it seems, are able to grasp this possibility.

That being said, I think there are a few important issues:

* Donald P. Norton and Donald O. Norton are not the same person and they should

not be confused.  There is no evidence presented that Donald P. ever impersonated Oswald.

* I t has not been proven that the Avon Park Norton (Red) is the same Norton that

Armstrong tracked to Jupiter, FL.

* John Armstrong chose not to mention Donald O. Norton in his book Harvey &

Lee.  Any references to Donald Norton in Harvey & Lee are for Donald P. Norton.

There now is quite a bit of bad info re: Norton floating around the internet and the back

channels of the research community.  As responsible researchers we must not add to

the problem.

Edited by Jack White

Here's a third Donald Norton.

Donald J. Norton, author of "Larry" a biography of Larry Bell, founder of Bell Aircraft, and patron of Arthur Young, designer of the Bell Helicopter.

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=18342119&aid=frg

Here's an article about Larry Bell with credit at the end to Norton, Donald J.

http://www.airportjournals.com/display.cfm/Midwest/0707006

BK

Norton for beginners...(posted with permission from Rich DellaRosa.)

Just a brief recap for the newbies:

A person who identified himself as Donald Norton introduced himself to researchers

Mae Brussell and John Judge in the early 1970s and told them he was Lee Oswald.

For a more detailed account see: http://jfkresearch.com/forum3/index.php/topic,38.0.html

(Mae later told Judge that "Norton had been supporting her radio show by sending

contributions he called CONSCIENCE MONEY...jw)

Several, let's call them researchers, have been muddying the waters regarding this

individual.  I have a problem with folks who are careless with research and it has been

demonstrated that when erroneous information gets on the internet it takes on a life

of its own.

In his comprehensive research on the 2 Oswalds, John Armstrong investigated Donald

O. Norton. He spoke to people claiming to know Norton when he was growing up in

Stowe, Ohio, outside of Akron and John traveled to a variety of locations where Norton

had lived and was employed.  Armstrong has done more research on Norton than

anyone else I know.

The question, as yet unanswered conclusively, is "Can Donald Oreste Norton be

the man who was born Lee Harvey Oswald in 1939 in New Orleans??"

In 2003, John Armstrong decided not to include Norton in his book Harvey & Lee

because although his research was exhaustive he felt he was less than 100%

certain that Norton is Oswald.  John established high standards in performing

his research.  I wish all researchers followed suit.

When last we left Lee Oswald in John's book, Lee Oswald was mistaken for Harvey on

11/22/63 by Officer J.D. Tippit.  Tippit ostensibly was supposed to locate and kill

Harvey.  Lee, in an act of self defense, shot Tippit before Tippit could shoot him.

Lee then walked off into history.

He then seemed to reappear to Judge and Brussell.  When news of that encounter

became known, various researchers began a search for Donald O. Norton. Some

tracked him to various locales from Ohio to Florida. 

In a case where we find two Oswalds, two Marguerites, two Judyth Bakers (??),

we have two Don Nortons.  A Donald P. Norton turned up during the

Garrison investigations in the late 1960s.  Donald P. was a homosexual

plant who performed a series of assignments for the CIA and who, while

performing those duties, encountered Oswald and Clay Shaw.  Donald P. was

mentioned in Paris Flammonde's book on the Garrison investigation and

it appears that Flammonde has written further about him in subsequent books

and in an upcoming, yet to be released, book.  Please note: Donald P. and

Donald O. Norton are 2 separate people, unrelated except for similar names.

John Armstrong last tracked Donald O. Norton to a residence in Jupiter, FL

on the east coast area of Ft Lauderdale.  Though John attempted numerous

times to confront Norton, he never came face-to-face with him.  It seemed

that Norton kept one step ahead of Armstrong.

In 2003 I ran a People Search report on Donald O. Norton.  At that time,

his current residence was listed as Avon Park, FL, about a 45 minute drive

from here.  When Armstrong was in my office, I asked him if he was aware

that Norton had apparently moved from Jupiter to Avon Park.  He wasn't.

It is important to note that in the report, there was more than one residence

listed for Norton in the past but where Norton never actually resided. One

notable one was in Nevada which curiously had been a residence for

Art Swanson, a self-admitted former CIA employee.  That house was owned

or financed by Boatman's bank in St Louis which is believed to be a CIA

front company.  Although Norton never actually lived at that address, he

apparently listed that residence on a credit application.  Armstrong discovered

another address in Seattle but where neither Norton, nor his wife Lexie,

ever resided.

Now when we came upon this information, we shared it on the forum and a

few individuals began to follow up on some leads and some began to post

on other venues and mis-stated much of the above.

One or two discovered that the Avon Park Norton had colored his hair red

and had adopted the nickname "Red." They further discovered that Red

operated a bait & tackle shop and booked deep sea fishing charters

(a bit strange since Avon Park is not on either of Florida's coasts).

Now one of those guys found an email address for Red and he sent him an

email asking if he was Lee Harvey Oswald? And Red wrote back "No."

Case closed, huh?  If nothing else ol' Red knew we found him. Just imagine

someone denying they had a part in a capital offense. Duh.

Add to all this strangeness the fact that recently Red closed his tackle shop

and left Avon Park almost literally over night.  Norton has done that before.

Donald O. Norton of Stowe, Ohio was born in 1949 -- which makes him

10 years younger than Lee Oswald. And, it would have made him 14

in 1963. That would seem to rule out Norton being the birth Oswald,

right?

Hmmmmmm, well no, not exactly.  Suppose for a moment that a

Donald O. Norton was born in 1949 in Stowe, Ohio in a dysfunctional

family.  He went to school there, and he had a real birth certificate and

a real Social Security #.  Then something happened -- perhaps he

was killed or MIA in Viet Nam.

If after Lee Oswald killed Tippit, he was to be given a new identity

(name, birth certificate, SS#, etc) rather than given him a bogus,

made up identity what if they gave him Donald O. Norton's ID? All

"they" would need to do was obscure the details of Norton's death.

Few researchers, it seems, are able to grasp this possibility.

That being said, I think there are a few important issues:

* Donald P. Norton and Donald O. Norton are not the same person and they should

not be confused.  There is no evidence presented that Donald P. ever impersonated Oswald.

* I t has not been proven that the Avon Park Norton (Red) is the same Norton that

Armstrong tracked to Jupiter, FL.

* John Armstrong chose not to mention Donald O. Norton in his book Harvey &

Lee.  Any references to Donald Norton in Harvey & Lee are for Donald P. Norton.

There now is quite a bit of bad info re: Norton floating around the internet and the back

channels of the research community.  As responsible researchers we must not add to

the problem.

There are striking comparisons of "Red," Donald O. Norton, Ralph Geb and the Geb/Norton brothers on the following blog. Any opinions? Go to: thecloakofdarkness.blogspot.com

Kathy :box

• 4 months later...

Although I understand the situation, John Judge checks in to set the record straight on his count. BK

JOHN JUDGE: I saw this as part of an exchange between you and Kathy Collins about Donald Norton on some Education Forum site. To set the record straight, Mae did not think Norton was an "Oswald impersonator" or someone "pretending to be Oswald".

He did not say he was Oswald, SHE did. She believed he was Oswald and he looked exactly like the young Marine with the chubby face who went to Russia. Someone else came back with Marina apparently, since she only knew one Oswald, unless she is lying about that as well. Marguerite told Mae the Oswald in the Dallas jail was not her son. She would not announce that I assume to protect her real son, but she did make a stink about his intelligence role in Russia. Mae and I believe we met a living Oswald pretending to be Don Norton, not the other way around.

Using Norton's name and repeating his interview with Ed Butler in New Orleans were clues for us. Norton was a suspect interviewed by Garrison.

These stories get so distorted over time by people who know nothing or have some hidden agenda.

My house mates clearly recognized that the visitor was Oswald when they saw his actual photo in Executive Action shortly afterwards. They had been skeptical at first having only seen the Dallas Oswald and not having studied the case or the photos closely ever.

Cuban intelligence chief Felix Rodriguez told me that his KGB handler and trainer in the Soviet Union told him in the late 1960s that Oswald was still living in the Soviet Union. By the early 70s he was back in the states, and we saw him in Ohio.

Norton didn't "pretend" to be anybody, it was clear to Mae and later to me that he was the real Oswald using Norton's name. He may still be using it in Florida, since the photos are similar.

I found the link to the Garrison investigation looking in my JFK books for the name Norton.

JJ

Although I understand the situation, John Judge checks in to set the record straight on his count. BK

JOHN JUDGE: I saw this as part of an exchange between you and Kathy Collins about Donald Norton on some Education Forum site. To set the record straight, Mae did not think Norton was an "Oswald impersonator" or someone "pretending to be Oswald".

He did not say he was Oswald, SHE did. She believed he was Oswald and he looked exactly like the young Marine with the chubby face who went to Russia. Someone else came back with Marina apparently, since she only knew one Oswald, unless she is lying about that as well. Marguerite told Mae the Oswald in the Dallas jail was not her son. She would not announce that I assume to protect her real son, but she did make a stink about his intelligence role in Russia. Mae and I believe we met a living Oswald pretending to be Don Norton, not the other way around.

Using Norton's name and repeating his interview with Ed Butler in New Orleans were clues for us. Norton was a suspect interviewed by Garrison.

These stories get so distorted over time by people who know nothing or have some hidden agenda.

My house mates clearly recognized that the visitor was Oswald when they saw his actual photo in Executive Action shortly afterwards. They had been skeptical at first having only seen the Dallas Oswald and not having studied the case or the photos closely ever.

Cuban intelligence chief Felix Rodriguez told me that his KGB handler and trainer in the Soviet Union told him in the late 1960s that Oswald was still living in the Soviet Union. By the early 70s he was back in the states, and we saw him in Ohio.

Norton didn't "pretend" to be anybody, it was clear to Mae and later to me that he was the real Oswald using Norton's name. He may still be using it in Florida, since the photos are similar.

I found the link to the Garrison investigation looking in my JFK books for the name Norton.

JJ

Mr. Judge, I agree with you wholeheartedly that the man who came back to the US with Marina was a Russian-born citizen. You only have to hear the voice of a man stumbling over English words to a Russian friend. His accent is weird and sounds British. In 1963 the same man did a few radio programs and it was the exact voice of the Russian. His English was much better. His name was Harvey Oswald, and perhaps Alek Hidel.

I've done research on Donald O. Norton. He looks nothing like the 2 LHOs. And I don't believe his hair is dyed, having been a redhead myself for many years. I would like to meet his CIA hairdresser! I also agree with Bill that the N. Carolina Outbanks Norton is the same man who lived in Avon Park, FL. The last we heard of Lee Oswald, he got on a plane to ... Russia, via Cuba?

Kathy

• 1 year later...

This story sounds similar to Robert Merritt.

DONALD P. NORTON – By William E. Kelly, Jr. bkjfk3@yahoo.com ] As summarized from interview notes taken by investigators (Charles Ward/R. Billings) for the New Orleans District Attorney (NODA) and newspaper clips, released by the NARA under the JFK Act.

Born on January 23, 1932, a native of Columbus, Georgia, Donald P. Norton was raised and educated in Georgia before entering the U.S. Air Force in October, 1949. A musician who played the organ and self-described TV personality, Norton enlisted with the understanding he would play in the Air Force Band, which he did until 1952 when he was discharged over what he described as a "personal involvement" and an "indiscretion" that led to him being sentenced to six months in a federal prison.

Returning to Georgia he continued his musical education at a conservatory where he earned a bachelor and master degrees and in 1957 a job playing at the officers club at Fort Benning, Columbus, Georgia, where he performed for and met generals and other officers and officals. While there he was approached by a man representing the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), who told him "we want to know who does what to whom," which the NODA investigator surmised, "the obvious implication being that it would his duty to ferret out homosexuals in high military places." The money, Norton said, was good, $500 a month, and Norton continued what he called his "witch hunting" assignment until 1958, when the colonel who employed him was charged with embezzlement.

Norton then moved to Atlanta where he performed on weekends at the officers club, whose secretary Norton was convinced, was also a government agent, continuing to turn over information about homosexuals, proof "based on experience."

In early 1958 he received a phone call from his contact who asked him if he would like to take a trip to Cuba. He met "Hugh Pharris" at the Easter Airline ticket counter at the Atlanta Airport. "Pharris" gave him a case of phonograph records, saying "it is in the jackts," samples of which he was to take to Carlo Media, a Cuban television personality, who was also working for the CIA at the time. "Pharris" was described as a man who wore sun glasses and a very sloppy wig, who Norton is convinced was David Ferrie. A young lady was with him, Carlotta Roth, a dancer at the Domino Lounge in Atlanta. After traveling to Cuba, Norton returned to Georgia via Miami and New York and reported to his CIA contact in Atlanta.

Norton said his next assignment was to infiltrate the Fulton County jail, where he was placed in the same cell with Robert Bolling, accused of dynamiting a synagogue. Other assignments were more his specialty, to determine the existence of homosexuals in government jobs.

In 1960, while on a pleasure trip to New Orleans, Norton said he went to the My-O-My Club, a homosexual hangout, where he saw "Hugh Pharris" (aka David Ferrie), though he didn't break operational security and talk to him.

According to the NODA investigation report of the interview with Norton, "…it should be noted that the man's (Norton's) physical appearance and his behavior indicate at a glance his sexual nature. A man of rather delicate features, slightly overweight, he is extremely nervous, a chain smoker, which may well be explained by the fact that he is indeed frightened. On the other hand, he is a fast-talking, well rehearsed witness, although his testimony is often confusing due to his penchant for inconsequential gossip. He has a very inflated ego about his musical talents and his ability to decipher weaknesses of others. He describes himself as a passive homosexual who is really a bisexual, although the latter terminology must be considered doubtful. On observation it must be stated that it seems unlikely that a man of such homosexual tendencies would be employed by the intelligence agency, but, as he described the nature of his work, this was exactly the reason they hired him. He described the reason for going to work for the agency as two-fold. One, 'they had something on me,' he says, and two, 'the money was good.'"

Norton said he was paid on an assignment-by-assignment basis, received his orders by phone from a man who was only identified as "the Captain," and never heard the term "CIA" by the initials used to describe the agency, and the first reference was the last reference to the company. He was tightly insulated from other CIA operatives and only knows of a few others who have worked for the agency.

In September, 1962, Norton said he was given the assignment of delivering $50,000 to the Hotel Yamajel, in Monterray, Mexico. Driving in his own 1956 Buick, he registered under his own name.

According to the NODA investigator's report, "It should be noted here that Norton's knowledge of Cuban policy of this country is extremely vague. He is able to theorize as if it were some revelation that the United States or CIA was behind the overthrow of Batista, but then when Castro threw out the CIA, it in turn, and the U.S. government turned against Castro. He does however say that Carlo Media, the CIA-employed Cuban is now in a Castro prison, so he thinks. He says that after the Castro overthrow his only assignment involving Cuba was this courier trip to Monterray to turn over $50,000 to Harvey Lee…"

After registering at the Yamajel Hotel, Norton said he was met by "Harvey Lee" before he could even get to his room. They went into the bar and had a few beers. Norton described "Harvey Lee" as "a man of slight build who dressed casually, who appeared identical to Oswald except for the fact that his hair was not as thin as the hair of the man he saw in pictures identified as Lee Harvey Oswald."

Norton also noted that "Harvey Lee" refused to look him in the eye. When asked where he was from, Norton recalled the answer, he thinks, was New Orleans. In return for the case of money, in return Norton was given a case of documents in manila envelops, "the nature of which he does not know."

From Monterray, Norton said he then drove to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where he became a television personality and played at the bar of the Georgian Terrace restaurant. "There he was met by a man he can only describe as resembling Oral Roberts, the evangelist, and says this man came to him and used the code identification 'the weather is very warm in Tulsa," and Norton turned over the documents to him in the parking lot, where the man was driving a Volkswagon.

Returning to the United States, Norton was arrested at the behest of Albert Penn of Five Points, Alabama, who Norton knew as a homosexual, and from whom he received some of his instructions. Penn accused Norton of stealing checks, but he was acquitted of the charge and released.

In 1965 Norton went to Albany, Georgia, where he was contacted by "the Captain," who may be also known as "Del Merton." In Albany in 1966 he saw a man he now knows to be Clay Shaw with James A. Gray, an extreme right-wing political power, talking together at the Double Gate Country Club. Gray then offered to help establish Norton in Albany with a $6,000 loan, which was ostensibly and surreptitiously repaid by the CIA. Norton described Gary as a dangerous person and moneyman behind the Continental Room, where Gordon Leonard was the front man. Norton later crossed paths with Clay Shaw once again at the Domino Bar in Atlanta.

In Albany, Norton was told to recruit the services of an ex-Marine police officer, John Stickler, and a friend, Jack C. White, Jr., but failed to follow through on the assignment.

In late November 1966 Norton was instructed to go to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, where he was to get the names of the homosexuals working at the missile tracking station on Grand Bahama, his last assignment for the CIA. After a week he returned to Miami where he called his contact, a "Mr. Green," who informed him that "something was brewing in New Orleans and…he should take a long, quiet vacation."

According to the NODA report, "Norton claims he had no idea as to the nature of the New Orleans development, and that he had no idea why he was being told to take this vacation. It worried him a great deal, so he went on a long circuitous trip attempting to find out what was happening, shy he had been summarily dismissed, so to speak. He suspected that he had done something wrong but did not know the nature of the misdeed. He first went o Key West to contact a CIA friend there, but was unsuccessful. He returned to Miami but was unable to reach Green again. He then drove to Savannna, and by this time was really frightened. He got in a plane and flew to Dallas and tried to contact a man named Stanley Walsh, who he had known in Houston, a man he describes as a former trapeze artist, a former paratrooper who had been working for the agency…"

Flying to Honolulu, Norton contacted a retired naval captain, a doctor then in private practice, who told Norton to forget the problem. Another CIA contact, Bill Rusk, came from Texas, an alcoholic with Mafia connections who ran a liquor store in the Pioneer Hotel, who told him, "Join the party or get out."

From there Norton went to Canada to hide out, but inexplicitly talked to a reporter, John Taylor of the British Columbia Vancover Sun, requesting that Taylor put him in contact with the New Orleans District Attorney's office. On August 5, 1967, the headline read: "AMERICAN, 'NOWHERE ELSE TO GO' COMES HERE TO TELL FANTASTIC TALE LINKS CIA WITH OSWALD, CLAY SHAW."

"A link between Lee Harvey Oswald, Clay Shaw, David Ferrie and the Central Intelligence Agency is claimed by a man now in Vancover. Donald P. Norton, 35, told The Sun he encountered all three while he was on the payroll of the CIA, the U.S. espionage agency."

"Norton has been interviewed here and in New Orleans by officials of the New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrision, whose investigation has been questioned by many sources, alleged a conspiracy between Shaw and Oswald in the assassination of former U.S. president John F. Kennedy."

"…Norton first came to see The Sun, July 8. Since then many details of Norton's story have been confirmed. But the authenticity of his central claims defy verification by normal newspaper investigation…"

xxxxyyyyzzz

• 10 months later...

This story sounds similar to Robert Merritt.

DONALD P. NORTON – By William E. Kelly, Jr. bkjfk3@yahoo.com ] As summarized from interview notes taken by investigators (Charles Ward/R. Billings) for the New Orleans District Attorney (NODA) and newspaper clips, released by the NARA under the JFK Act.

xxxxyyyyzzz

[/size]

The following document may provide a few more details regarding Donald P. Norton; for one it mentions that he was at his Fort Benning, Georgia office watching television when the image of Lee Oswald flashed on the television. Norton is, referred to in the document as a nutcase, but that is pretty lofty praise, in my opinion, as anyone who ever deviated from the norm re JFK not being killed by Oswald, or exhibiting foreknowledge, was styled as such. And even if Norton was a fraud, it makes the Agency look like they are covering up, by not mentioning his resemblance to Oswald.

I do wonder about his allegations regarding Clay Shaw, Norton is quoted as stating that Clay Shaw was a CIA recruiter for Puerto Rican, Cuban and Mexican personnel; although ostensibly he could have been told just about anything, for just that purpose, to look like an idiot if he ever went public.

See

FBIS Report: "Former CIA Agent Talked to Oswald in Mexico."

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=1