The Education Forum

The Collins Radio Connections

A name worth remembering in relation to Collins Radio is EDWARD HERMAN BAUMGARTNER, why.....?

BAUMGARTNER, EDWARD HERMAN

Sources: CD 1085, p. 2; CD 1085g, pp. 1-10; CD 1085h, pp. 1-2; CD 1085i, pp. 1-6; CD 1085j, pp. 1-3

Mary's

Comments: DOB: June 7, 1928. POB: Indianapolis, Indiana. Social Security No. 309-26-4089. Army Serial No. US 55050121. Pro-Communist. Member of Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC). Worked at Collins Radio. (Note: The Rex, one of CIA boats used in raids on Cuba, was leased to Belcher Oil and then to Collins Radio.)

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...owRec.do?id=900

WCD 1085 page 8.....mentions that "Frank O'dell 334 West Cober, Grand Prairie, Texas, advised that he has seen a pro-Castro newsletter in the possession of EDWARD H. BAUMGARTNER, a fellow employee at Collins Radio. BAUMGARTNER had this newsletter in his tool box and gave it to O'dell."

Reading O'Dell's account of Baumgartner's political beliefs is like reading about a Lee Harvey Oswald clone, the fact that he worked for Collins Radio adds to his importance.

Robert,

Sorry I missed this post before.

Is Baumgartner still alive?

Do we know where he lives?

Thanks,

BK

That I couldn't say, I haven't had much luck on him, but interestingly enough, he was in Dallas in April 1964, basically [iMO] doing a Sgt. Schultz [i see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing] with the FBI; they also apparently talked with a Ernest Gustav Larson, who ordered FPCC literature.....Quite an interesting document.....

See

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=7

REPORT: JUNTA REVOLUCIONARIA CUBANA; SEGUNDO FRENTE DE ESCAMBRAY (OPERATION ALPHA 66); DIRECTORIO REVOLUCIONARIO ESTUDIANTIL; MOVIMIENTO REVOLUCIONARIO 30 DE NOVIEMBRE; FAIR PLAY FOR CUBA COMMITTEE

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Carl Mather, from everything I know about him, is a good, honest citizen who, when called on to finally testify under oath about what he knows, will do so. (Bill Kelly)

Bill,

I think Carl Mather died in late 2003. I can't find a direct reference for that but seem to remember reading it somewhere.

James

Several years ago, I was interested enough to track the percentage increases/decreases in prime defense contracts that were awarded prior to and after the assassination of JFK. Three of the most dramatic increases during the 1965-69 period were shown by Collins Radio, Ling-Temco-Vought, and Bell/Textron. All three of these (relatively) small companies had individuals connected with them who have been tied to the Kennedy assassination. Not in "6-degrees-of-seperation" party game theorizing, but serious, relevant connections, deserving of investigation.

Two prime movers in these companies, Arthur Collins and D.H. Byrd, were long-time friends. Bill has noted the multiple Collins connections to the covert operations being carried out in contravention of Kennedy administration policy in '63. Byrd's extraordinarily prescient inside stock purchase in an industry which was, in '63, far from robust, has been commented on by Peter Scott, and others who have looked into the Mac Wallace business as well.

At one or two times in his investigation of the assassination, Jim Garrison displayed a great deal of interest in the military/corporate/financial entities who may have been involved in some way in Kennedy's death. Unfortunately, he focused on some of the largest defense contractors, companies that were likely to do well regardless of the identity of the White House occupant. He should have looked further down the ranks, at companies whose fortunes were more directly tied up in Kennedy's demise and, of course, in the ascendance of the Texan vice-president.

None of this is to suggest that Kennedy's death was a topic of discussion at any official corporate gathering; simply that a select few individuals who may have been connected to (and demonstrably profited by) Kennedy's demise should have been questioned in a thourough investigation. And that researchers today should continue to be interested in these individuals and possible ties to the assassination.

Several years ago, I was interested enough to track the percentage increases/decreases in prime defense contracts that were awarded prior to and after the assassination of JFK. Three of the most dramatic increases during the 1965-69 period were shown by Collins Radio, Ling-Temco-Vought, and Bell/Textron. All three of these (relatively) small companies had individuals connected with them who have been tied to the Kennedy assassination. Not in "6-degrees-of-seperation" party game theorizing, but serious, relevant connections, deserving of investigation.

Indeed, Alan.

While the Tippit drama was being played out in Oak Cliff, another sub plot was unfolding at the Trade Mart. Just after the shooting of JFK was announced, Tippit's close friend Morris Brumley was arresting a man by the name of Gene Guinn.

The reason was that he was part of a hate group who were picketing the Trade Mart. Later it was revealled that Guinn was booked for investigation of conspiring to murder the President. He was released two days later and he filed suit against Brumley and his supervisor, Pat Gannaway. That was eventually dropped.

Guinn was certainly an interesting character. He was allegedly associated with the American Nazi Party but claimed he wasn't even though he once borrowed a uniform and marched with them.

He was an ex paratrooper and Korean War veteran.

Guinn unsuccessfully ran for City Council on several occasions, had been employed by Ling-Temco-Vought, Security Management Inc. and Empire Security, and was well known to Dallas police.

In the early 1970's, Guinn who was employed as a security guard shot and killed a 16 year old boy who was shoplifting. Guinn was eventually found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to four years jail.

Could this episode at the Trade Mart have been part of a potential right-wing frame if Dealey Plaza was aborted? Guinn is someone who I believe requires some serious looking into. His Dallas associations reads like the who's who of extreme right-wing activity.

Guinn below.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

Two prime movers in these companies, Arthur Collins and D.H. Byrd, were long-time friends. Bill has noted the multiple Collins connections to the covert operations being carried out in contravention of Kennedy administration policy in '63. Byrd's extraordinarily prescient inside stock purchase in an industry which was, in '63, far from robust, has been commented on by Peter Scott, and others who have looked into the Mac Wallace business as well.

At one or two times in his investigation of the assassination, Jim Garrison displayed a great deal of interest in the military/corporate/financial entities who may have been involved in some way in Kennedy's death.

Unfortunately, he focused on some of the largest defense contractors, companies that were likely to do well regardless of the identity of the White House occupant. He should have looked further down the ranks, at companies whose fortunes were more directly tied up in Kennedy's demise and, of course, in the ascendance of the Texan vice-president.

None of this is to suggest that Kennedy's death was a topic of discussion at any official corporate gathering; simply that a select few individuals who may have been connected to (and demonstrably profited by) Kennedy's demise should have been questioned in a thourough investigation. And that researchers today should continue to be interested in these individuals and possible ties to the assassination.

Alan, your comments are well taken, Re Herman Edward Baumgartner, WCD 1085 seems to contain the most interesting information concerning same, when the FBI was checking his background in Indiana, he comes off as a very low-key person with nothing particularly unusual said regarding him by his employer....I believe he worked in a tool and dye shop. But, as mentioned earlier he was in Dallas in April 1964, and it appears he was in Dallas at the appproximate time of the assassination. SA James Hosty interviewed him in April, 1964 and he had some very interesting things to say about his views on the FPCC, Oswald and the Cuban and Soviet governments, perhaps the most compelling comments I am aware of at this time is the following statement that Hosty attributes to Baumgartner.

"Baumgartner further stated that had he met Oswald prior to his death, he would have cooperated with Oswald in forming a FPCC chapter in Dallas."

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...p;relPageId=153

Considering, for the most part, that statements 'of that nature' in Dallas in 1964 were what I would describe as anathema, it is hard to not suspect that there is some role-playing going on in that statement......I also find his statement that he first learned of the FPCC while reading an unrecalled anti-Communist publication in an unrecalled Dallas washateria interesting. So Baumgartner was living in a trailer park at 2323 Haslett St; That is according to google maps 1.5 miles, and about a 5 minute drive from there to 1026 N.Beckley.........Hmm....

As to whether Baumgartner is related to the Ass't. VP at Republic National Bank, I am not aware of it if he is.....I mentioned that an Edmonde Haddad was at Dallas Police Headquarters assassination weekend, and that this may very well have been the same person who was listed in the full page ad that appeared in the NY Times

See

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...6&hl=Haddad

No one seemed particularly interested in that post......

• 2 years later...

I want to revive this thread in light of the new information in Doug Horne's book Inside the ARRB, Volume IV, in which he details how the Z-film ended up, at some point during the assassination weekend, at the CIA's secret Hawkeye Works photo lab at the Kodak plant in Rochester, NY.

Kodak, it turns out, along with ITEK, Rathon and Lockheed (Skunk Works) were united in a super-secret program to take photos from the sky - first with the U2 and then with the CORONA satellite project, with ITEK providing the camera and Kodak developing the film.

Shortly after the success of the CORONA program, the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) was instituted as a new government agency.

These same companies were, as recently as the 1990s, rewarded with additional satellite contracts.

In one of the last issues of George Magazine edited by John Kennedy, Jr., shortly before he died, David Wise did an article, based on reviews by the National Accounting Office, that revealed the NRO was unable to explain what it did with several Billions of dollars.

The very week I delivered a talk on Collins Radio connections to the assassination to a COPA conference in Dallas (circa 1993), it was revealed in a front page story in the Washington Post, that a new building erected in rural Virginia was not the new Headquarters for Collins Radio, as had previously and publicly announced, but that was just the cover for the new HQ for the NRO.

Now I don't know what they should do when their cover is blown, but the utilization of Collins Radio as a cover for CIA covert operations was exposed on the front page of the New York Times on November 1, 1963, when they published a photo of the CIA raider ship the Rex, and noted that it was being leased to Collins Radio, but was really being used by the CIA to drop off assassins in Cuba.

Why would they continue to use Collins Radio as a cover if the cover was blown in 1963?

And what is the connection between Collins Radio, the NRO, CORONA and Kodak?

And John Beveliqua has implied, stated that my work on Collins Radio and the assassination was plagerized, which implies either an academic study or failure to attribute proper sources, but I can find no mention of Collins Radio in regards to the assassination of JFK published before my COPA talk (and publication in Backchannels Magazine, 1993), and if there is, I'd like to see it.

Bill Kelly

Edited by William Kelly

• 1 month later...
I want to revive this thread in light of the new information in Doug Horne's book Inside the ARRB, Volume IV, in which he details how the Z-film ended up, at some point during the assassination weekend, at the CIA's secret Hawkeye Works photo lab at the Kodak plant in Rochester, NY.

Kodak, it turns out, along with ITEK, Rathon and Lockheed (Skunk Works) were united in a super-secret program to take photos from the sky - first with the U2 and then with the CORONA satellite project, with ITEK providing the camera and Kodak developing the film.

Shortly after the success of the CORONA program, the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) was instituted as a new government agency.

These same companies were, as recently as the 1990s, rewarded with additional satellite contracts.

In one of the last issues of George Magazine edited by John Kennedy, Jr., shortly before he died, David Wise did an article, based on reviews by the National Accounting Office, that revealed the NRO was unable to explain what it did with several Billions of dollars.

The very week I delivered a talk on Collins Radio connections to the assassination to a COPA conference in Dallas (circa 1993), it was revealed in a front page story in the Washington Post, that a new building erected in rural Virginia was not the new Headquarters for Collins Radio, as had previously and publicly announced, but that was just the cover for the new HQ for the NRO.

Now I don't know what they should do when their cover is blown, but the utilization of Collins Radio as a cover for CIA covert operations was exposed on the front page of the New York Times on November 1, 1963, when they published a photo of the CIA raider ship the Rex, and noted that it was being leased to Collins Radio, but was really being used by the CIA to drop off assassins in Cuba.

Why would they continue to use Collins Radio as a cover if the cover was blown in 1963?

And John Beveliqua has implied, stated that my work on Collins Radio and the assassination was plagerized, which implies either an academic study or failure to attribute proper sources, but I can find no mention of Collins Radio in regards to the assassination of JFK published before my COPA talk (and publication in Backchannels Magazine, 1993), and if there is, I'd like to see it.

Bill Kelly

I've updated this article and posted it here:

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2010/01...onnections.html

• 11 months later...

Bill Kelly

I've updated this article and posted it here:

http://jfkcountercoup.blogspot.com/2010/01...onnections.html

• 1 year later...

Collins Radio Connections to assassination of JFK - Update

JFKcountercoup: The Collins Radio Connections to the assassination of JFK

Collins Radio by Bill Kelly

Back Channels Magazine,

Volume 1, No. 4. Summer, 1992 p. 1-2.

Edited By Peter Kross

According to the former chief counsel to the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA), "the principal impetus for the over whelming support…establishing the HSCA…came from another source – the … Senate Committeeon Government Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities. In this report, dated April, 1976, the Senate committee published revelations that raised in the minds of many, serious possibilities of government complicity in the assassination."

"Two astonishing facts had been developed by the Senate investigations," the counsel noted, "- the CIA, as part of an assassination of foreign leaders (executive action) program, had enlisted the cooperation of top underworld figures in the United States in an effort to assassinate Fidel Castro of Cuba. In addition, word of the CIA/Mafia plots had been withheld by the Agency from the Warren Commission."

In a sense, at least one member of the Warren Commission, former CIA director Allen Dulles, knew ofthe plots to kill Castro, but did not inform the other commissioners. Instead, he provided them all with a book about American assassins, and how they are, historically, mentally deranged loners.

The final report of the HSCA concluded that, "in thejudgment of this committee, the CIA/Mafia plots, like the AM/LASH plots, should have been aggressively explored as part of the 1963-64 investigations."

Both the CIA/Mafia and the AM/LASH plots to kill Castro were extensively evaluated by the Congressional committees, and the CIA eventually admitted to partaking in at least six different plots to kill Castro.

But three respected researchers – Gaeton Fonzi, Timothy Crouse and Paul Hoch, separately questioned why the CIA would admit to its attempts to kill Castro with flashy shellfish toxins, exploding cigars and dart gun pens, yet fail to mention the October 1961 and the November 1971 plots involving Antonio Veciana.

Yet another plot, the Rex raid of October 31, 1963, which is on the public record, is another example of the government's failure to affirm secret operations to kill Castro that are directly entwined with the assassination of President Kennedy.

The Rex episode first came to light on October 31, 1963 when Fidel Castro announced that a team of assassins were arrested on a beach in Cuba.They had high powered rifles and other assassination weapons and confessed that the CIA had organized arm shipments to Cuban insurgents and had trained them to kill Cuban leaders.

According to Castro, the men arrived in Cuba aboard two small motor launches, marked with the name "the Rex." A New York Times reporter in Florida confirmed that the Rex, a ship docked at Palm Beach, Florida, was indeed missing two of itslaunches. It was later written, "President Kennedy had expressed his greatannoyance to the CIA at the fact that the Rex, one of the CIA's boats used in raids on Cuba, docked at Palm Beach while he was there onvacation."

This raid also took place against the clearly stated policy of the U.S.government that, "no raid against Cuba were to originate from U.S. shores." The CIA even launched the Bay of Pigs invasion from bases in Nicaragua and Guatemala.

The New York Times published a photo of the Rex in its November 1, 1963 edition, and identified the 174 foot vessel as registered out of Bluefields, Nicaragua, "but in fact operating out of West Palm Beach, Florida."

A decommissioned U.S. Navy sub-chaser, the Rex, captained by Aiejandro Brooks, was the flagship of the CIA's operation JM/WAVE fleet. It was outfitted with searchlights, a crane for lifting its speedboats aft, elaborate electronic gear amidships, and had an arsenal that consisted of two 40 mm cannon, a 57cal. Recoilless rifle, two 20 mm cannon and two 50 caliber machine guns.

The Belcher Oil Company of Miami, had bought the Rex from Paragon, a company owned by Luis Somoza of Nicaragua.The New York Times reported that, "dockage for the ship was said to be paid by Sea Shipping Co. from a post office box."

In November, 1963, the ship was being leased to the International Division of the Collins Radio Company of Richardson, Texas, to be used for possible ELENT(electronic intelligence) gathering activity.

What is significant about the Rex and its mission to deposit assassins in Cubaon October 31, 1963, is that Lee Harvey Oswald, the accused assassin of President Kennedy, once visited the home of retired Admiral Chester Brouton, then an executive of CollinsRadio, the company that leased the Rex. So someone associated with accused assassin of JFK worked for a company that was actively engaged in anassassination attempt against Castro just three weeks before the President was killed.

Oswald's association with Brouton is cited in a HSCA report, specifically in the document, "I'm a Patsy," written by George DeMohrenschildt, who knew Brouton personally and took Oswald and his wife to Brouton's home in suburban Dallas where they had lunch by the pool.

Brouton's position with Collins is also mentioned in Legend: The Secret Life of Lee Harvey Oswald by Edward J. Epstein, but the Rex incidentis ignored by the HSCA as well as by Epstein.

Although the associations between Oswald and Brouton, Brouton and Collins and Collins and the Rex should have been enough to warrantan investigation of the corporate structure of Collins Radio, Inc. yet another Collins Radio employee was investigated immediately after the murder of Dallas policeman J.D. Tippit on November 22, 1963.

Tippit was killed in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas within an hour of the President's death and his murder was also attributed to the President's alleged assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald. The final report of the HSCA claims that, "…the committee's investigation uncovered no direct evidenceof a relationship between Oswald and Tippit, nor did it attribute any activity or association to Officer Tippit that could be deemed suspicious…"

But the items listed under the Committee's report Section11, Volume XII – Oswald-Tippit Associates, are indeed suspicious. This is aserious discrepancy between the stated conclusions of the HSCA and the evidenceit developed and published as part of the public record.

As former Warren Commission counsel David Belin put it, "theTippit murder is the Rosetta Stone of the Kennedy assassination," and although he meant it to convict Oswald as the lone assassin, it may assist in the unraveling of the covert conspiracy.

Under Section XI – Austin's Barbecue, it is revealed that besides being a Dallas policeman, Tippit also held a job moonlighting as a bouncer at Austin's Drive-In restaurant. The owner of Austin's was a partner with Bert Bowman, who owned money to and lived with Ralph Paul, Jack Ruby's financial backer.

Ruby also owed money to Paul – an estimated $15,000, and the $3,000 Ruby had with him when he shot Oswald was reportedly Paul's cash. Although Ruby might not have known officer Tippit, both men worked for the same Bowman/Paul combine.

Both Oswald and Tippit also frequented the same Dobb's House restaurant in Oak Cliff, and both sat at the same counter for breakfas ttogether on the morning of the day before the assassination. Although they weren't seen conversing together, Oswald complained loudly about his eggs being too well done, and the waitress said that Tippit "shot him a glace."

The HSCA reports also show that shortly after Tippit's murder, Oswald was seen sitting in a parked car that belonged to Tippit's best friend, Carl Mather, who worked for Collins Radio.

Listed in the HSCA reports as "The Wise Allegation," because it originated with former Dallas newsman and mayor Wes Wise, the report reads: "Wise…had received information that a car near the scene of the Tippit shooting was traced to Carl Mather, a close friend of Tippit's….A mechanic who worked across the street had observed a car in a parking lot of the El Chico restaurant on the afternoon of November 22, after radio reports were being broadcast about the shooting in DealeyPlaza. The mechanic told Wise that after the assassination there were sirens blaring and police cars all over the area near the garage.

"He noticed," the report continues, "a man sitting in an irregularly parked car in the restaurant parking lot; the car was slightly hidden by a billboard. The man in the car appeared to be hiding, all the circumstances seemed so suspicious that the mechanic went across the street to get a better look."

"When the mechanic saw news accounts of the assassination on television, he saw Lee Harvey Oswald and recognized him as being the man he had seen in the car that afternoon."

So on the afternoon of JFK's murder, the accused assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald is seen sitting in a car belonging to a close friend of Dallas policeman J.D. Tippit, who Oswald is also accused of killing. That friend, Carl Mather, worked for Collins Radio, a company that was actively engaged in at least one plot to assassinate Fidel Castro three weeks earlier.

According to Professor Peter Dale Scott, the Rex mission of October 31, 1963 was sponsored bythe anti-Castro Cuban group known as the MDC– the Movement Democrato Christiano, which also ran a commando training campnear Lake Ponchartrainin Louisiana that Oswald had previously tried to infiltrate. The FBI raided that camp, and made some arrests and stirred up some publicity.

Scott also says that the Rex mission may have included Watergate burglar Rolando Martinez.

Like may other unsolved mysteries surrounding the Kennedy assassination, the secret mission of the Rex is yet to be fully explained.

William Kelly, Jr. is the Co-Founder of the Committee for an Open Archives (COA), P.O. Box 6008, Washington, D.C., 20005-0708. His research on the assassination of President Kennedy is supported in part by a grant from theFund for Constitutional Government, Investigative Journalism Project.

From Crime & Cover-up by Peter Dale Scott:

"An MDC-Somoza anti-Castro mission of October 1963 fro a Florida-based ship the Somozas called the Rex, involved both Martinez as skipper (according to Sturgis) and very probably Sturgis himself as well. This Florida based raid violated President Kennedy's publicly announced prohibition of Cuban exile raids 'launched, manned, or equipped from U.S.territory.' It came only one month after Sturgis himself had been publicly warned by U.S.government officials to desist from such activities." (Note NYTSept. 16, 1963, p. 39)

In Harpers Magazine, R. Crile and Taylor Branch interviewed Martinez

"Although Rolando Martinez was in many ways typical of the Agency's Cuban volunteers, he was more accomplished and experienced than most. When he surfaced in 1972 as one of the Cuban-Americans captured at the Watergate break-in, Martinez was still on theCIA payroll an had 354 missions to Cuba recorded in Agency files. As a boat captain in the clandestine navy of JM/WAVE, he completed fifty missions before the Bay of Pigs and would complete some seventy-five more during the first four years of the secretwar." (Harpers, p. 56)

Rolando Martinez: "….I took a lot of weapons to Cuba. Some were very special weapons for very special purposes. They were powerful rifles with sophisticated scopes – Springfields with bolt action, rifles used only by snipers. They were not sent to shoot pigeons or kill rabbits. Everyonein the underground was plotting to kill Castro, and the CIA was helping the underground. I was with the underground as well as the CIA,so you could say I was involved in the plots too, but that is all soobvious." (Harpers, p. 83)

Collins Files at Iowa U.

http://www.lib.uiowa...anyRecords.html

6. Research Files: Files relating to various research endeavors carried out by CRC on a number of different subjects relating to communications and aerospace technology. Includes data, notes and research papers.

7. Subject Files: Files relating to various subjects involving CRC. Includes correspondence, corporate documentation, and documentation from Arthur A. Collins and his father Merle H. Collins.

Roy Harkness Box 6

Texas Division, 1958-1966 Box 16

Strategic Air Command ("Short Order" System), 1960 (2 folders)

Collins, Arthur A.: Correspondence, 1936-1973 (15 folders) -[contains letter to AAC from Admiral RichardByrd, May 10, 1936 (copy)] Byrd Expedition Equipment, 1934

Curtis E. LeMay, July 9, 1958]

"History of Collins Broadcast", 1980

Newport Beach Facility Requirements, 1967

Operation T-Bird, 1964

Strategic Air Command Visit (by AAC),1954

Collins, Arthur A., n.d.

Collins, Merle H., n.d.

Collins Employees at Work, n.d.

Collins Equipment - Andrews Air Force Base, n.d.

Collins Equipment, n.d.

Collins Facilities, n.d.

Collins Radio Company Executives, n.d.

Computer Equipment, Cedar Rapids,n.d.

Facility Tour, n.d.

Various Buildings, n.d.

National Security Forum (War College, Air University), 1960

Maritime Radio Equipment, 1959-1960

Griswold, General Francis H. (SAC), 1954-1964 (2 folders) - [contains letters to AAC from General CurtisE. LeMay, November 17, 1954and June 16, 1956]

Far Eastern Trip: Strategic Air Command (AAC),1956

Continental Oil Co./Continental Pipe Line Co., 1955-1956

Boats, 1958-1967 (3 folders)

Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AACSpeech), 1974

Amateur Radio, 1954-1965, 1971 (2 folders)

Aeronautical Radio, Inc (ARINC), 1962-1964

Aircraft File, 1935-1964 (3 folders)

Collins Marine Laboratory: Data Points #1 - 6963, February1960 - November 1961 (6 folders)

Box 26

Collins Marine Laboratory: Data Points #6964 - 9662,November 1961 - May 1963 (2 folders)

Collins HF SSB Propagation Predictions, February 1960

Research Division, 1960-1963

Program Managers' Handbook, 1964

Employment Applications and Correspondence, 1933-1963 (5folders)

Communications and Data Systems Division: Correspondence andMemos, 1960-September 1963

Communications and Data Systems Division: Correspondence andMemos, October 1963-1964

Arthur Andersen and Co., 1936

Alpha Corporation (CRCSubsidiary), 1959-1960

Alpha Corporation (CRCSubsidiary), 1961-1963

Friday, February 17th, 2012 - 12:00 PM

Rockwell Collins History CoP

Building 106-205 Auditorium

Keynote Speakers, Keith Diefenderfer and Norb Hemesath - "Past, Present and Future of the Advanced Technology Center".

Collins Radio & the JFK Assassination 1994

In October 1994 I gave a talk at the national conference ofthe Coalition on Political Assassinations (COPA) in Washington D.C. on the Collins Radio Connections to the assassination of President Kennedy.

Unlike the main speakers – Dr. Cyril Wecht, John Newman, Fletcher Prouty, Michael Parenti, Mark Lane and Judge John Tunheim who were the featured speakers, my talk was in a side-room big enough for only a hundred or so people, but the room was full, and I was glad to see that Peter Dale Scott, Bill Turner and others I respected went out of their way to listen to my short, 20 minute presentation.

While most of what I talked about took place in the 1960s, thirty years previous, Washington was in the middle of a major big time government scandal which dominated the front pages of the Washington Post concerning the emergence, over the previous three years, of a huge $310 million federal building on a 68 acre site near Dulles Airport.

The official cover story was that this was the new national headquarters of the Collins Radio Division of Rockwell International, but eventually it was discovered that it would be the new headquarters for the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), jointly operated by the Air Force and the CIA.

The very existence of the NRO was not officially acknowledged until 1992, and former CIA director R. James Woolsley testified that he was concerned that he had committeda serious security breather by uttering the initials “N.R.O.”

On August 10, 1994, NRO director Jeffrey Harris and deputy director Jimmy Hill “nervously and reluctantly joined in the first public testimony in the agency’s 34-year history,” the New York Times reported on page one the next day.

“For four years, the reconnaissance office, the agency that builds and maintains the nation’s multibillion dollar fleet of spy satellites, concealed the money for the headquarters by breaking it up into different accounts in its operating budget, its leaders testified….This was normal, they testified. Building the new headquarters….was in effect, a covert operation.”

“We have been negligent, clearly negligent, for not showing the budget breakdown for this project,” Roger Marsh, project manager for the new headquarters said.

John M. Broder, of the Los Angeles Times (Aug. 10, 1994) wrote that even former budget director Leon E. Panetta, who became White House Chief of Staff (and is now Sec. of Defense), “had no idea the four mid-rise office towers belonged to the government.”

Sen. Dennis DeConcini (D. Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said that committee members knew the building was being constructed but “budget estimates and details were given to the committee piecemeal and buried in larger intelligence accounts.”

When DeConcini told Clinton, Panetta and national security advisor Anthony Lake,after they read about it in the news papers, DeConcini said the three “were caught by surprise.”

The President ordered the building project declassified, released construction costs, but when DeConcini “urged Clinton to name independent auditors to conduct an inquiry into the project,” the President instead “put the review in the hands of the CIA and Pentagon, who were responsible for hiding the project’s spending in their budgets.”

DeConcini, still fuming at the betrayal by the intelligence agencies, said he had no idea whether the investigation would uncover other multi-million-dollar clandestine operations. “For all we know, they might havea battleship floating around out in the Pacific with a bunch of communicationson it that we don’t know about.”

Then it got even better, when the 3rd Anniversary issue of John F. Kennedy Jr.’s George Magazine (Oct. 1998) included an article called “The Spys Who Lost $4 Billion,” by David Wise, who had previouslyco-authored groundbreaking book “The Invisible Government.”

“The NRO is a top secret spy organization whose satellites…can photograph a license plate from outer space,….so how did it lose billions of dollars from its own budget?, Wise asked.

According to Wise, “With some 3,000 employees and an annual budget of around $6.2 billion,….the NRO spends far more money than any of thegovernment’s 13 primary intelligence agencies. It’s budget is twice that of theCIA….and has played a key role in virtuallyevery major foreign policy event of the last 35 years.”

“Yes, Virginia,there is a NRO.”

And 35 years after its cover was blown by a front page storyin the New York Times for fronting for the CIAin the operation of the Rex, the NRO pulled Collins Radio off the shelf tocover for the NRO’s new headquarters, which they thought they could just buildout in the Virginia suburbs without anybody knowing or asking what they weredoing. And they tired to do it without the knowledge of the President, the headof the federal budget, the national security advisors or the head of theCongressional oversight committees.

Frank B. Strickland, Jr., deputy program manager of NRO’s Support Office said, “Our adversaries will change tactics, and the adversaries themselves have changed. Now we have terrorists, rogue nations, nuclear proliferation. The NRO has to keep pace.

Edited by William Kelly

Bill today I typed up two of Douglass' footnotes dealing with Collins Radio and sent them around. Please feel free to add onto my note which is all Jim D. I hope to really sent this one into the right sites so that more of the audiences most targeted for disinformation will see it. If you add on, it could send your Collins Radio threads too.

-----

Why Did Markus Raskin [once McGeorge Bundy's Top Advisor, later founder, IPS] call JFK and the Unspeakable "a soucrebook for many years to come"?

Well let's just take one of the more than 2,OOO detailed and scholarly footnotes, #909 for Chapter 6

------

909. Ralph W. McGehee, Deadly Deceits: My 25 Years in the CIA (New York: Sheridan Square, Publications, 1983), p.57. One sentence cited from article by Ralph W. McGehee, "Foreign Policy by Forgery: The CIA and the White Paper on El Salvador," The Nation (April 11, 1981), pp.423-34 (with deletions by the CIA). McGehee also noted in his Nation Article, as then cided in his book on pp.57-58:

"Initially the Indonesian Army left the P.K.I. [Communist Party of Indonesia] alone, since it had not been involved in the coup attempt. {Eight sentences deleted here by the CIA.} Subsequently, however, INdonesian military leaders [seven rods deleted by the CIA] began a bloody extermination campaign. In mid-November 1965, General Suharto formally authorized the 'cleaning out' of the Indonesian Communist Party and established special teams to supervise the mass killing. Media fabrications played a key role in stirring up popular resentment against the P.K.I. Photographs of the bodies of the dead in generals [who had been killed in a failed coup]-- badly decomposed-- were featured in all the newspapers and on television. Stories accompanying the pictures falsely claimed that the generals had been castrated and their eyes gouged out by Communist women. This cynically manufactured campaign was designed to foment public anger against the Communists and set the stage for a massacre... To conceal its role in the massacre of those innocent people the C.I.A., in 1968, concocted a false account of what happened (later published by the Agency as a book, Indonesia--1965: The Coup that Backfired) ...At the same time that the Agency wrote the book, it also composed a secret study of what really happened. [One sentence deleted by the CIA.] The Agency was extremely proud of its successful [one word deleted by the CIA] and recommended it as a model for future operations [one half sentence deleted by the CIA]."

FOR MORE ON THE CIA AND ITS COLLINS RADIO TIES IN THE JFK ASSASSINATION ITSELF AS WELL AS THE OPERATIONS OF THE 1965-66 INDONESIAN GENOCIDE LET US NOW TURN TO FOOTNOTE 912 OF CHAPTER 6, JFK AND THE UNSPEAKABLE; WHY HE DIED AND WHY IT MATTERS BY JAMES W. DOUGLASS.

FOOTNOTE 912 OF CHAPTER 6, JFK AND THE UNSPEAKABLE: ON THE CIA'S COLLINS RADIO AND ITS TIES TO THE JFK ASSASSINATION AND THE INDONESIAN GENOCIDE OF 1.25 MILLION THAT WAS JUST ONE DIRECT RESULT OF THIS ASSASSINATION. 912 William Blum, Killing Hope: Us Military and CIA Interventions since World War II (Monroe, Me.: Common Courage Press, 19950, p.194. The CIA's support of the massacre in Indonesia [btw. 750,000 and 1.25 Million following CIA coup in 1965, N.H.] also included supplying communications systems from Collins Radio, its major contractor (whose employee Carl Mather, as we have seen, was linked through his automobile's license to a sighting of the second Oswald the afternoon of the assassination): "The supply of radios is perhaps the most telling detail {of U.S. logistical support to the bloodbath]. They served not only as field communications but also became an element of a broad, US intelligence-gathering operation constructed as the manhunt went forward. According to a former embassy official, the Central Intelligence Agency hastily provided the radios--state of the art Collins KWM-2s, high-frequency single-sideband transceivers, the highest-powered mobile unit available at that time to the civilian and commercial market." Kadane, "Letter to the Editor, New York Review Of Books (April 10, 1997)

Bill today I typed up two of Douglass' footnotes dealing with Collins Radio and sent them around. Please feel free to add onto my note which is all Jim D. I hope to really sent this one into the right sites so that more of the audiences most targeted for disinformation will see it. If you add on, it could send your Collins Radio threads too.

-----

Why Did Markus Raskin [once McGeorge Bundy's Top Advisor, later founder, IPS] call JFK and the Unspeakable "a soucrebook for many years to come"?

Well let's just take one of the more than 2,OOO detailed and scholarly footnotes, #909 for Chapter 6

------

909. Ralph W. McGehee, Deadly Deceits: My 25 Years in the CIA (New York: Sheridan Square, Publications, 1983), p.57. One sentence cited from article by Ralph W. McGehee, "Foreign Policy by Forgery: The CIA and the White Paper on El Salvador," The Nation (April 11, 1981), pp.423-34 (with deletions by the CIA). McGehee also noted in his Nation Article, as then cided in his book on pp.57-58:

"Initially the Indonesian Army left the P.K.I. [Communist Party of Indonesia] alone, since it had not been involved in the coup attempt. {Eight sentences deleted here by the CIA.} Subsequently, however, INdonesian military leaders [seven rods deleted by the CIA] began a bloody extermination campaign. In mid-November 1965, General Suharto formally authorized the 'cleaning out' of the Indonesian Communist Party and established special teams to supervise the mass killing. Media fabrications played a key role in stirring up popular resentment against the P.K.I. Photographs of the bodies of the dead in generals [who had been killed in a failed coup]-- badly decomposed-- were featured in all the newspapers and on television. Stories accompanying the pictures falsely claimed that the generals had been castrated and their eyes gouged out by Communist women. This cynically manufactured campaign was designed to foment public anger against the Communists and set the stage for a massacre... To conceal its role in the massacre of those innocent people the C.I.A., in 1968, concocted a false account of what happened (later published by the Agency as a book, Indonesia--1965: The Coup that Backfired) ...At the same time that the Agency wrote the book, it also composed a secret study of what really happened. [One sentence deleted by the CIA.] The Agency was extremely proud of its successful [one word deleted by the CIA] and recommended it as a model for future operations [one half sentence deleted by the CIA]."

FOR MORE ON THE CIA AND ITS COLLINS RADIO TIES IN THE JFK ASSASSINATION ITSELF AS WELL AS THE OPERATIONS OF THE 1965-66 INDONESIAN GENOCIDE LET US NOW TURN TO FOOTNOTE 912 OF CHAPTER 6, JFK AND THE UNSPEAKABLE; WHY HE DIED AND WHY IT MATTERS BY JAMES W. DOUGLASS.

FOOTNOTE 912 OF CHAPTER 6, JFK AND THE UNSPEAKABLE: ON THE CIA'S COLLINS RADIO AND ITS TIES TO THE JFK ASSASSINATION AND THE INDONESIAN GENOCIDE OF 1.25 MILLION THAT WAS JUST ONE DIRECT RESULT OF THIS ASSASSINATION. 912 William Blum, Killing Hope: Us Military and CIA Interventions since World War II (Monroe, Me.: Common Courage Press, 19950, p.194. The CIA's support of the massacre in Indonesia [btw. 750,000 and 1.25 Million following CIA coup in 1965, N.H.] also included supplying communications systems from Collins Radio, its major contractor (whose employee Carl Mather, as we have seen, was linked through his automobile's license to a sighting of the second Oswald the afternoon of the assassination): "The supply of radios is perhaps the most telling detail {of U.S. logistical support to the bloodbath]. They served not only as field communications but also became an element of a broad, US intelligence-gathering operation constructed as the manhunt went forward. According to a former embassy official, the Central Intelligence Agency hastily provided the radios--state of the art Collins KWM-2s, high-frequency single-sideband transceivers, the highest-powered mobile unit available at that time to the civilian and commercial market." Kadane, "Letter to the Editor, New York Review Of Books (April 10, 1997)

Thanks Nate,

BK

JFKcountercoup

Guest Tom Scully

One must weigh the significance of John H. Boyle's home sale in Dallas, to Col. Sam Kail (see below.)

John H. Boyle, Collins Radio:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=boyle+fighter+pilot+communications+europe&btnG=#hl=en&safe=off&tbm=bks&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22Collins%2C+and+in+1962+was+elected+a+Vice+President+of+the+company.*%22&psj=1&oq=%22Collins%2C+and+in+1962+was+elected+a+Vice+President+of+the+company.*%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=39302l39302l5l41075l1l1l0l0l0l0l168l168l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ad3c8b9c23a2cb09&biw=1440&bih=695

Signals: Volume 24, Issues 1-12; Volume 24, Issues 1-12

books.google.comArmed Forces Communications Association, Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (U.S.), Armed Forces Communications Association - 1969 - Snippet view

...Now, 28 years later, he holds the title, Vice President, International Region for Collins Radio Company in Dallas. The years between that bridge the gap began when Mr. Boyle became a fighter pilot during World War II and served in ....In June 1952, Mr. Boyle joined Collins as Dallas Division Representative residing in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Since that time, he has served in numerous capacities with Collins, and in 1962 was elected a Vice President of the company. In 1965 he advanced to Vice President, Corporate Marketing, and in 1969 assumed his current position.....

http://americanradiohistory.com/Archive-BC-YB/1966/C-Section-Equipment-BC-YB-1966.pdf

.pdf page 18:

1966:

Collins Radio Co. Dallas 75207. (214) AD

5-9511. A. Prose Walker, dir bcstg comm

div; T. VV. Sharpe, sls clii‘: C. R. Rollert,

product line mgr; A. A. Collins, TV. VV.

Roodhouse, J. H. Boyle, J. C. McElroy ....

http://www.qcwa.org/w4bw-sk.htm

W4BW - September 22, 2002

A. Prose Walker

FCC Official

NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 26, 2002-- Former FCC official A. Prose Walker, W4BW, the man some consider the godfather of the so-called "WARC bands"--30, 17 and 12 meters--died August 8 following a brief illness. He was 92. Word of his death reached ARRL Headquarters this month.

his most recent station. [Helen Herman Photo]

Walker, who headed the FCC Amateur and Citizens Division from 1971 until 1975, made the initial proposal for three new amateur allocations at 10, 18 and 24 MHz during an International Amateur Radio Club (4U1ITU) meeting in Geneva in 1972. Later, he organized and chaired the US preparatory committee for the Amateur Service--the Advisory Committee of Amateur Radio--which took the initial steps to turn the idea into reality at the 1979 World Administrative Radio Conference. The committee also included former ARRL General Manager Richard L. Baldwin, W1RU, who said this week that he was greatly saddened to learn of Walker's passing.

"One of my fondest memories of WARC 79 was the pleasure and the challenge of working with Prose in preparing for that conference," Baldwin said. "He was a stalwart supporter of the Amateur Service, and few amateurs realize how very much they owe to him. May he rest in peace."

Walker's most recent recognition came at Dayton Hamvention 2000, when he was recognized with a special achievement award, an honor his daughter, Helen Herman, said he coveted among many other more prestigious awards. The award recognized his work in obtaining the new amateur allocations at 10, 18 and 24 MHz more than two decades earlier.

An ARRL Life Member and a licensee since the 1920s, Walker was an enthusiastic amateur who remained quite active on the air until shortly before his death. Only a few months before he died, he bought a new ICOM IC-756PROII transceiver and reveled in becoming acquainted with its many features. Walker's favorite operating mode was CW, and he was a frequent visitor on the bands he'd helped to create.

Hospitalized or in rehabilitation facilities during all of July and part of August, he remained eager to get back home and on the air. "He wouldn't wait to get home and get on that ham radio," his daughter said.

A native of Ohio, Walker earned his bachelor's degree from Denison University. He later did graduate work at Ohio State. Over the years, Walker's career took a number of turns, including a stint as a high school science and mathematics teacher, but his primary contributions were in the fields of communications and engineering. During World War II, he served with the FCC Radio Intelligence Division, supervising the Radio Security Center in Hawaii.

Walker then went on to serve as chief of the Investigative Branch in the FCC's Radio Intelligence Division. Later, he headed the FCC's Allocations Branch and co-authored the CONELRAD emergency broadcast plan.

Walker left the FCC in 1953 to become director of engineering for the National Association of Broadcasters. He served with the NAB until 1961. During his tenure, he was editor-in-chief and author of portions of the NAB Engineering Handbook, published in 1960.

Collins Radio Company beckoned in 1961, where he headed up the Amateur Radio engineering development department and was involved in broadcast radio equipment development. He also befriended Collins founder and president Art Collins, W0CXX, and had a role in the development of FM stereo.

Broadcast consultant Paul Schafer, W6KWW, who called Walker his "very dear friend and mentor," described Walker as a legend in the broadcast industry for his accomplishments at the NAB and Collins Radio. "Prose had the ability to look forward," Schafer said. "He helped the industry and he certainly helped me. I'll miss him."

Before rejoining the FCC in 1971, Walker was a consulting engineer in Washington, DC. It was during his second tour of duty with the FCC that Walker headed up the FCC's Amateur and Citizens Division, which handled regulatory and licensing functions for more than a million FCC licensees. Phil Sager, WB4FDT--a former ARRL and FCC staffer--worked in the Amateur and Citizens Division in the mid-1970s. "Prose was always a gentleman and a fanatic ham from the old school," Sager said. ...

https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECE/People/Alumni/OECE/1992/mcelroy.whtml

1992 - 1st Annual Outstanding Electrical & Computer Engineer Awards

John C. McElroy - College of Engineering, Purdue University

engineering.purdue.edu › ... › 1992 OECE Recipients

Vice President, Collins Radio Company, retired. A native of Scotland, Indiana, John C. McElroy received his BSEE in the communications option from Purdue ....

http://thegazette.com/obituaries/mcelroy-john-craven/

McElroy, John Craven

John Craven McElroy, 92, of Raleigh, N.C., died Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012.

John was a native of Scotland, Ind., and the son of the late John Ralph and Elizabeth Craven McElroy. He was a 1941 graduate of Purdue University. Following graduation, he served in the U.S. Navy throughout World War II. After the war he married his grade school sweetheart, Marjorie Norman in 1946. They then moved to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he joined Collins Radio Company as a development engineer. For 20 years there and later in Dallas, Texas, Marge and John raised their four children.

Under John’s direction at Collins Radio space-borne telecommunications systems were perfected for the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space programs.

After his retirement in 1974, John and Marge lived in Austin, Texas, before moving to Raleigh in the early 80s. There in Raleigh, while Marge was involved with the North Carolina Museum of Art, John pursued his passion for woodworking and was an active figure at the Crafts Center at NC State University and for Habitat For Humanity. ...

I believe one of the most important aspects of the Maryan Franciscus Brandstetter issue is determining if he had a cryptonym, in light of information contained in this book, there is no excuse for his name to not be mentioned

in the HSCA deposition testimony of Dorothe Matlack, James Powell, Harold Frindall or James Hosty or earlier when the Warren Commission deposed George DeMohrenschildt. Brandy's genealogical backgound, Koszeg, Austria and GDM's Haitian sojourn makes the idea that DeMohrenschildt "did not know of him period" seem highly doubtful, although that is just an opinion. On the other hand the fact that Brandstetter remained highly active in matters pertaining to national security decades later, would be a "legitimate," at least from the governmental point of view, reason to withhold his name.

Arguably he would have been referenced as either in Acapulco, Cuba, or Dallas, or undoubtedly [name redacted]

From what I can tell Brandy:Portrait of An Intelligence Officer - Chuck Render And Frank M Brandstetter,2007 Elderberry Press(OR)512 pages is significantly the better of the two books by a far margin, and if you want to know everything about the military Pentagon connections to the JFK Assassination and don't have this book, you will not know everything.

page 216

NOVEMBER 22, 1963

Brandy was instructing a seminar in Dallas, Texas on November 21, 1963 in connection with his Army Reserve duties.

FBI Agent Vincent Drain, who was officially assigned to the Dallas field office on a permanent basis, called Brandy

while he was there. Brandy had collaborated with Drain several years earlier when the two men had worked with the Fourth Army's disaster preparedness and response teams. Brandy spoke at length with Drain who was preparing for President Kennedy's tour of the city the following day. Drain had a big problem. Kennedy had rejected the idea of

using the bubble-top vehicle he had the Air Force fly in, choosing instead to make the trip through the city in an

open-top convertible if weather permitted. Both men knew the risks, but better judgement did not prevail. Brandy

then flew back to Acapulco on the evening of November 21. Rains drenched Dallas during the early morning hours of

November 22, 1963, but the skies became clear and sunny, so the protective bubble on the presidential limousine

was removed. President Kennedy and his first lady, Jackie, drove with Governor John Connally and his wife to a

planned luncheon at the Trade Mart. They would never arrive. Shots rang out as the limo drove down the on-ramp

below the Texas School Book Depository, and John F. Kennedy became the fourth U.S. president to be assassinated

while in office. The nation was suddenly in shock.

page 157

By the fall of 1958, Brandy was able to leave Havana for two weeks of active duty training at the 4th Army

Intelligence School in San Antonio, Texas where he assumed his role as Lieutenant Colonel. During this time

he was able to travel to and from Dallas to spend some time as a loving husband to his ailing wife, even though her condition had not significantly changed. This change would serve as his only vacation from his duties in Cuba.

Time was running out for Brandy's Army Reserve assignment. There were fewer and fewer billets available at the higher ranks. Those who were unable to secure an authorized position with the next higher rank would be forced to resign

when and if they were promoted, or would be passed over for promotion until their mandatory time in rank was exceeded. Before returning to Cuba, Brandy sent his resume and a collection of sample reports and documents to Colonel Rose

in the Office of Assistant Chief for Intelligence (ACSI) in the Pentagon and requested a new assignment. Rose was

well acquainted with Brandy's past activities, so he called within a week and informed Brandy that his new assignment

was right there in his own backyard. A telegraphic message had been sent to Colonel Sam Kail, the Military Attache

at the American Embassy in Havana and Kail would be Brandy's point of contact. Anything that needed to be brought to Rose's attention could be forwarded through classified channels.

page 172

Continuity in the Pentagon is a result of the Civil Service system that has some built-in stability guarantees.

Mrs. Dorothe K. Matlack was one of those rocks of stability, and she was chief of the Exploitation Section (ACSI-CX).

She had been there while the military officers had come and gone. She was already well acquainted with Brandy and the other intelligence officers who had been sending information from all over the world. Brandy's reports through Colonel Kail in Havana had come across her desk, and she had passed them on appropriately.

ACSI BIG BROTHER

Brandy was in high demand throughout the two work weeks following his arrival. Mrs. Matlack exploited Brandy to the best of her ability and scheduled debriefing sessions with representatives from the State Department, U.S. Naval Intelligence, the CIA, and others. Colonel Roth took pleasure in introducing Brandy at these closed meeting in the Pentagon and elsewhere in Washington D.C.

Final Thoughts

Render's mention of Dorothe K. Matlack as being in the ACSI-CX Exploitation Section is a real puzzle for myself.

Below is a reference to the CIA's "Domestic Exploitation Section," but I am wondering if Render is simply mistaken or

if the reference is a legitimate one that is privileged information. At any rate, as I love to remind anyone who will listen, the devil is in the details.

180-10147-10179

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=41228&relPageId=95

So you have this group of people.....

Colonel Orlov [friend of DeMohernschildt]

Colonel Dudley Wilmeth

Colonel Howard Burris

Colonel Samuel G. Kail

Paul Bethel - Citizens Committee for a Free Cuba

James Daniel - Executive Director - Citizens Committee for a Free Cuba [CD 49]

Col Brandstetter "Brandy" honorary member Association of Former Intelligence Officers

David Atlee Phillips

Otto Otepka - Office of Security [was linked to Security File on Lee Oswald, allegedly did not get to read it?]

more.....

Found in: HSCA Segregated CIA Collection (microfilm - reel 53: Hemming - Lorenz)

Reel 53, Folder C - SAMUEL G. KAIL

RIF#: 1994.04.22.15:51:32:040005 (4/4/1961) CIA#: 80T01357A

14 April 1961

Chief/WH4/FI

Chief Contact Division (Support)

Military reports from Samuel G. Kail former Military attache to Cuba

Attached are two reports

Shirley Stetson

E. M. Ashcraft

http://www.maryferre....do?docId=55466

more......

BISHOP suggested to Antonio Veciana in 1960 that he go to the Embassy and contact a Mr. Smith and Sam Kail. Said Veciana: "MAURICE BISHOP suggested the names of these individuals because we needed specific weapons to carry out the jobs, and he told me that these were the people who could help me."Antonio Veciana was asked not to reveal BISHOP'S name to them. The HSCA ascertained that in 1960 there was a Colonel Samuel G. Kail at the American Embassy, Havana. The HSCA located Sam Kail, retired, and interviewed him in Dallas. Sam Kail, born June 7, 1915, was a West Point graduate who served as the Army Military Attache from June 3, 1958, until the day the American Embassy, Havana, closed on January 4, 1961. His primary mission as a Military Attache had been intelligence. Sam Kail assumed his unit was functioning for the CIA. He told the HSCA: "I suspect they pay our bills." In January 1963 he received the CIA's Legion of Merit Award. Kail said that prior to the American Embassy closing in Havana, there was a constant stream of Cubans coming through his office with anti-Castro schemes, including assassination plans, asking for American assistance in the form of weapons or guarantees of escaping. Kail stated: "We had hoards and hoards of people through there all the time." For that reason, he said, he did not specifically remember Veciana visiting him. .......

Remember Jack Ruby's correction of Henry Wade?

I think it is a pretty safe bet that the D.A. Phillips - Maurice Bishop area, is the least mysterious for people on this Forum....

And I suppose it is no shock that once you wade through all of this the AFIO membership roster becomes even more interesting than it did before, which is really saying something. But what do I know.......lol

And I am sure I will regret doing this but.....here's a quote that's thought provoking.....

"I think it started in the wind. Money, arms, big-oil, Pentagon people, contractors, bankers, politicians like L.B.J. were committed to a war in Southeast Asia. As early as 61' they knew Kennedy was going to change things.....He was not going to war in Southeast Asia......Probably some boardroom or lunchroom somewhere-- Houston, New York-- hell, maybe Bonn, Germany

Money is at stake. Big money. A hundred billion. The Kennedy brothers target voting districts for defense contracts. They give TFX fighter contracts only to the districts that are going to make a difference in 64'. These people fight back....'

There is also an interesting Dallas news article from July 25, 1965

entitled

Muscle, Readiness Shown by 49th Armored Division; by Eddie S Hughes

[North Fort Hood, Texas]

It was a proud 49th Armored Division that flexed its muscle of armor

Saturday in the face of another world crisis. A National Guard outfit

which proved itself during the Berlin crisis four years ago, the 49th

paraded its awesome armored might during the divisions annual

mounted review......

The divisions 149th Aviation Battalion, based in Grand Prairie, and commanded

by Lt. Col. Norman Wilmeth, received the Gen. Clayton B. Kerr award as the

outstanding battalion. The award is named after a former 49th Division commander

who still lives in Dallas and was present for the review.

Uhhh...maybe Col. Kail learned of Collins Radio executive, John H. Boyle and his house at 4722 Cherokee Trail, Dallas through a real estate agent, circa 1973....or....?

It appears the dwelling structure of interest here was torn down or substantially improved

since it was sold in 2006, and now it is a "McMansion".

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4722-Cherokee-Trl-Dallas-TX-75209/26734383_zpid/

http://dfw.c5.blockshopper.com/property/00000352252000000/4722_cherokee_trail

4722 Cherokee Trail

Dallas-Bluffview, TX 75209

Sales History (2001-present)

...June 6, 2005

B: Cruz Lopez, Jorge F Lopez

S: Anne M Kail, Mary Kail, Robert G Kail, Samue G Kail, Samuel G Kail (Estate)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=kail+4722+Cherokee&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Register of graduates and former cadets of the United States ...

United States Military Academy. Association of Graduates - 1974 - Snippet view

Association of Graduates U.S.M.A., United States Military Academy. West Point Alumni Foundation - 1973 - Snippet view

11675 Samuel Goodhue Kail 7i B-WV 7 Jun 15: Inf: MIS WD 42-44: G2 G3 Sects Hq 13 Abn Div TE 45 (CR): KW 7lnf 50-51 (SS-2BSMV-CI): AWC 53- 54: ArmA Cuba 58-61: CO Sp Tng Regt Ft Dix 61-62: USA Elm Car Adm Cen 62-66 (LM): DCSI Hq 4Ar 66-69 (LM): Ret dsbl 69 COL: MA SMU 72: Bus Celt 72: 4722 Cherokee Tr Dallas TX 75209.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=bks%3A1&q=%22*European+operations+Pan+Am.+World+Airways%2C+1949-52%3B+vp+corporate+marketing%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

World who's who in commerce and industry: Volume 15

1968 - Snippet view

Who's who in finance and industry: Volume 19

Marquis Who's Who, LLC - 1975 - Snipp

...BOYLE, JOHN HARTFORD, electronics со. exec.; b. Chattanooga, July 6, 191 8; s. Hartford D. and Clementine (Zimmerman) В.; BB A-, U. Chattanooga, 1941; m. Paly Spearman. Mar. 23. 1946; children— John Michael. Robert Hartford, Patrick Joseph, Timothy Richard. Sharon Paty. Football coach U. Chattanooga. 1940-41; pilot European operations Am. Overseas Airlines, 1946-49; pilot mgr. European operations Pan Am. World Airways, 1949-52; vp corporate marketing Collins Radio Co., Dallas, 1952 — . Served to maj. USAAF. 1941-46. Home: 4722 Cherokee Trail, Dallas 75209. Office: Collins Radio Co., Dallas 75207.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&tbs=nws%3A1%2Car%3A1&q=%22john+h+boyle%22+collins&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Executive Changes

$3.95 - New York Times - Sep 29, 1962

The Collins Radio Company has named John H. Boyle to vice president and general manager of the communication and data systems division; WW Roodhouse, ...

Tom....nice work......

I am finding it increasingly difficult to not see a myriad of connections in all the different threads floating around on the Education Forum, forewarning there are several topics in the following post.....As they say on the SPARTACUS cable series, Apologies.....

Here is what is going on in my universe these days.......

Pardon the overlap re topics

There is a FBI Document which references Larry Crafard's PENWAY notebook

with the following notation....

page 47,

On November 26, 1963 Larry Crafard

page 53,

Mr. Miller

Fridy - 15 people

Collins Radio Co.

Cody - City Hall

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=56997&relPageId=53

earlier.....page 29,

He [Ruby] gave as character references Stanley M. Kaufman, 1520 Mercantile Security Building, Dallas; Alice Nichols, 8707 Redondo, Dallas;

and Hal Collins, Jr., 4510 Greenleigh.*

* COLLINS, HAL H., JR.

Sources: WC Vol. 22 (928); WC Vol. 26 (561); CD 4 (706); Crime & Cover-Up, Scott (44)

Mary's Comments: Cousin of Ramsey Clark. Nephew of Robert L. Clark. Jack Ruby gave him as character reference on 1961 application for beer license.

MILLER, CHARLES -----

Sources: WC Vol 25, p. 563; CE 2435; CD 4, p. 484; CD 106, p. 260

Mary's Comments: Dallas Morning News advertising department employee. He and Robert G. Landers saw Jack Ruby at Carousel Club 11/21/63. He had Carousel Club pass #138.

[NOTE: THERE ARE 41 MILLER’S in MFF Database]

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/marysdb/getList.do?startIndex=468&letter=M&mode=alpha

I've never been able to determine if the Collins Radio employee's showed up.

One of them MAY......even reference the bogus OSWALD who was at the Embassies in Mexico City acting like he was OSWALD

HIS NAME, OR at least the name he was using was ERNESTO LEHFIELD MILLER

see

MILLER, ERNESTO LEHFELD

Sources: CIA Box 6, Folder 8 (MMF 465, 475)

Mary's Comments: Mexican citizen who resembled Azcue's description of man that allegedly visited the Cuban Consulate. All the Durans recognized Miller. He often borrowed Horacio Duran's car. (See Lehfeld)

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Central Intelligence Agency/Russ Holmes Work File/

NARA Record Number: 104-10406-10264

LETTER:IN CONNECTION WITH THIS COMMITTEE'S INVESTIGATION/REQUEST FOR FILES ON ERNESTO LEHFELD MILLER

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=3431&relPageId=2

Irrespective of whether that is a solid lead or not......

on the LEMAY ON NOVEMBER 22, 1963 Thread

there are some rather solid areas re Department of Defense

The directors of the Defense Communications Agency from 1960-64 were:

* 1960–1962 Rear Admiral William D. Irvin, United States Navy

* 1962–1964 LTG Alfred D. Starbird, United States Army

and.........a reviewer for the book The Jason's see below mentions Final Rank General ALFRED DODD STARBIRD

If you're interested in the LEMAY/AF-1/TRANSCRIPTS and not so peripheral items, get your hands on a voluminous pdf entitled "READINESS PROGRAM.pdf

SEARCH

GOOGLE KEYWORDS/PHRASES "Sandia," "Starbird, "Limited Test-Ban"

NOTE I was unable to upload it due to the size limitations

http://www.amazon.com/Jasons-Secret-History-Sciences-Postwar/product-reviews/B000N3T4EM

Although this book sticks fairly steadily to the Jasons and their work, it offers the best characterization I have ever seen of the choices and dilemmas faced by those who work with the Defense Department on topics everyone would rather not think about. As the book indicates, these days a profusion of outside experts advise the government on all sorts of technical matters, and the Defense Department is notable for the extent to which it seeks outside advice. I have never been a Jason, although I do know a few of the folks mentioned or quoted in this book, but I was involved off and on for more than 40 years working with and for the Defense Department as a techie and scientist. It isn't easy, and that is perhaps the most important message conveyed by this book. The objectivity required to give good technical advice is often at odds with one's personal feelings as a citizen. And it can be discouraging to be one of a group that's asked to advise on something, and puts a lot of effort into coming up with a clear, well-reasoned answer, to see it completely ignored, which does happen. So why do it? And here I would make two points that the book doesn't make clear.

First, occasionally one can make a big difference. Not often, but occasionally. I've had that happen. But for it to happen, one must "pay one's dues"; one has to have earned the respect of the policy-makers by putting in lots of effort over the years to help them make decisions. One person who has that respect can make more difference in certain cases than any number of noisy demonstrators, and this is as true of Congress as it is of Administration officials. That makes the disappointments worth while.

Second, the book fails to note that a large fraction of senior US military officers are themselves brilliant and technically well-educated, with advanced degrees in engineering or science, so they are good people to work with, as interesting to work with as one's colleagues in the civilian community. For example, Gen. Alfred Dodd Starbird, mentioned in this book, was among the most impressive people I have ever met, hard-driving, utterly tireless, and with a strong enough technical background so that I never had to tell him anything more than once, or go into elaborate detail; he soaked up technical information like a sponge.

Hearings: Volume 2

books.google.comUnited States. Congress. House, United States. Congress. Joint Committee ... - 1963 - Snippet view

ARTHUR D. STARBIRD, US ARMY, DIRECTOR, DEFENSE COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY; ACCOMPANIED BY COL. RAYMOND H. GOODRICH, US ARMY, ASSISTANT DEPUTY DIRECTOR, DEFENSE COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY; AND COL. D H BARGER, US ARMY, CHIEF, SUBSYSTEMS DIVISION

Hearings before a Subcommitee

88th Congress First Session April 23, 1963 - Military Communication Satellite Program

Statement of Lt. Gen. Arthur D Starbird.

ARTHUR D STARBIRD

Birth: Apr. 28, 1912

Death: Jul. 28, 1983

Note: LTG US ARMY; WORLD WAR II; KOREA; VIETNAM

Burial:

Arlington National Cemetery

Arlington

Arlington County

Virginia, USA

Plot: Sec: 2, Site: 3866-1

Created by: John C. Anderson

Record added: Mar 06, 2010

Find A Grave Memorial# 49353860

Wife

EVELYN W. STARBIRD

Birth: Feb. 9, 1918

Death: Oct. 7, 2004

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Starbird&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=49353860&df=all&

Addendum

Defense Communications Agency (1960–1991)

The Defense Communications Agency (DCA) was established May 12, 1960 by then-Secretary of Defense Thomas S. Gates. Its mission was to manage the Defense Communications System (DCS), a consolidation of the independent long-haul communications functions of the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

In the 1960s, DCA moved to Arlington, Virginia, and took on several major organizations. The Air Force Office of Commercial Communications Management (now the Defense Information Technology Contracting Organization), the White House Signal Agency (now the White House Communications Agency), and the DoD Damage Assessment Center (now the Joint Staff Support Center) all became a part of DCA. DCA also established two area operations control centers (DCAOC) and six regional communications control centers for operational control of the DCS. The DCAOC's were for the Pacific area (DCA-PAC) originally located at what was once Wheeler Air Base, in Hawaii; and for the European theater (DCA-EUR) at ______ Army Base, Germany. Of the regional control centers, three were DCA-Far East (North Camp Drake, N Tokyo Japan), DCA-KOR, Seoul, Korea and DCA Philippines. The others were DCA WEST-HEM, Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado Springs CO. During the Viet Nam War there was DCA SAM(Southeast Asia Mainland), Tan Son Nhut AFB, Saigon, Viet Nam and DCA-THAI, Bangkok, Thailand

The directors of the Defense Communications Agency from 1960-64 were:

* 1960–1962 Rear Admiral William D. Irvin, United States Navy

* 1962–1964 LTG Alfred D. Starbird, United States Army

http://www.disa.mil/About/Our-History

FOR MORE ON STARBIRD See

The Pentagon Papers pg 485, by Sheehan, Neil, Smith, Hendrick... (1971)

would take a year to build Secretary McNamara "was apparently strongly and favor ably impressed by the scientists ideas the Pentagon study relates and he immediately ordered Lieut Gen Alfred D

The Pentagon Papers, Vol. IV, The Senator Gravel Edition pg 124, by Department of Defense (1971)

to implement the barrier proposal in spite of CINCPAC's condemnation and the Chiefs cool reaction On September 15 he appointed Lt General Alfred Starbird to head Joint Task Force 728 within DDR&E

The Best and the Brightest pg 266, by Halberstam, David (1969)

an electronic barrier for Vietnam as a means of stopping the infiltration (and thus the rationale for bombing) suddenly this took top priority and General Alfred Starbird who was in charge of it had

In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam pg 246, by McNamara, Robert S. (1996)

attack aircraft to enemy forces on the move.) The barrier would be costly but because our bombing was ineffective I authorized it and assigned Lt Gen Alfred D Starbird to oversee its development........

Robert; I am not casting aspersions on the late General, other than to say I would love to have read a biographical account of him and seen him deposed, or at least interviewed by the HSCA or ARRB.

BTW.....on another topic Marina and Lee Oswald appear to have a connection

to the following

MEDVEDEV, ALEXSANDR M.

Sources: CIA 184; CIA 393-743; CIA 394-744; CIA 400-748; CIA 451-184

Mary's

Comments: DOB: 11/24/1930 or 1931. POB: Leningrad, USSR. Wife: Natalya Medvedeva, born 5/20/36 in Moscow. Arrived in Buenos Aires July 11, 1963, from Paris, together with infant son, Dimitri, age 5 months. 5' 8". 175 lbs. Interpreter in Buenos Aires Embassy......

more

MEDVEDEV, KLAVDIA VASILEVNA

Sources: CIA 1590-1119

Mary's Comments: Deceased mother of Marina Oswald. Name checked against HTLINGUAL records with negative results.

MEDVEDEV, PIORT ALEXANDROVICH

Mary's Comments: Half-brother of Marina Oswald. Name checked against HTLINGUAL records with negative results.

MEDVEDEV, TATIANA ALEXANDROVNA (TYNIA)

Mary's Comments: Half-sister of Marina Oswald. Name checked against HTLINGUAL records with negative results.

MEDVEDEV, ALEKSANDR R. IVANOVICH

Sources: CD 6, p. 376; CIA 393-743; CIA 451-184; CIA 624-823; CIA 1590-1119

Mary's Comments: Stepfather of Marina Oswald. Name checked against HTLINGUAL records with negative results.

Negative really?

Where's Dmitry?

Dmitry Medvedev

He's the man who became president of the Russia Federation without having to actually run for the presidency. The blessing of Vladimir Putin -- who enjoyed a high approval rating in his eight years at the helm of the former Soviet Union -- worked better for Dmitry Medvedev than a thousand stump speeches or any of the presidential debates that, according to Medvedev's wishes, never happened.

http://worldnews.about.com/od/russia/p/dmitrymedvedev.htm

back to topic

I guess, mentioning that even Mary Bledsoe was sharp enough to remember that Lee Oswald mentioned he would be applying for a job at Collins Radio, is applicable, so much for the stroke...lol

Did You Know:

Carl Mather stated in his testimony to the HSCA that when he worked for Collins Radio his supervisor was J. A. Pickford

see High Treason Groden/Livingstone

Edited by Robert Howard

Robert, I have Mather and Pickford's HSCA interviews and will post them soon.

I was also surprised to learn that Art Collins himself lived in Dallas at the time of the assassination.

Is this address of any significance?

ARTHUR A COLLINS

13601 preston road

dallastexas 75240

Also developing info on Mystic Star.

Does anybody know if they called it Mystic Star in 1963?

And please note the Joint Chiefs are in top five and take over priority.

JFKcountercoup: Mystic Star Communications Network