GO

W - E 18

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W - C 18

edit add: Norman, I'm considering a short commentary at various points. Is that all ok with you? There'll be nothing personal but more like hints of how to let the pennies keep dropping and advancement is rapid., I can also see it happening now. There are certain leaps of perception that can be beneficial and some of my commentary may be taken as patronising but I think you are beginning to sense that you are in fact not playing aginst me but against yourself. (as described in the mors esoteric parts of 'GO Rules' topic).

This must be one of the longest running games in history with 11 500 + hits for just some 50 odd moves. Maybe we should check with Guinness Records?

Edited by John Dolva

B - G 19

I was just thinking I was missing your commentaries, John. My own inspiration tends to come from books like 'On the psychology of military incompetence' by Norman E. Dixon, so your suggestion for going for the Guiness Book of Records has reminded me of another good read, 'The Guiness Book of Military Blunders'. Being something of a reductionist myself - to be honest I've spent half an hour this evening just reassuring myself what constitutes 'two safe eyes' in 'Go' - I am looking forward to a generous and poetic commentary on the play. Do please comment!

W - L 18

Ok. Good, coming to grips with eyes and life and looking at a wider picture were the first points I was going to bring up. Going back to the move arrowed, which was early in the game, it was a seemingly innoccuous but deliberate move that elicited a response and then its potential lay dormant till now.

In a way the corner by itself has gone through the beginning, middle and now end stage, which is how it should be played across the board. By looking at eyes you are exactly on target. What you may now experience is exactly why, and then consider redundant moves that looked too much at the small picture. And so the penny drops and a next stage is reached.

I'll keep it short for now. Check out Ladders, Cuts, Forced play ( Sente - Gote ), and when to play loose and when to play tight.

My last two* moves have been bad. You failed to capitalise on the first one and a careful consideration can perhaps see me running for life.

[att updated]

edit correction : *two of my last four moves ... particularly bad.

a redeeming thing is that one can review and pick those moments in light of knowledge gained

my apologies for the misleading comment

edit add : count points needed to take

Edited by John Dolva

W - I 18

Edited by John Dolva

Good move, Norman.

edit add, typo [@#$%] smile.gif

Edited by John Dolva

W - C 17

Edited by John Dolva

W - B 19

Edited by John Dolva