Jump to content
The Education Forum
Tim Gratz

Who was QJ/WIN

Recommended Posts

On 8/25/2018 at 1:30 PM, Michael Clark said:

QJWIN   Expenses are, in the future, to be addressed to the CIA Chief of Foreign Intelligence Division.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/104-10185-10428.pdf

In the doc I posted yesterday, reciepts were submitted for expenses incurred in Florida in relation to QJWIN and ZRRIFLE by W.K. Harvey.

Edited by Michael Clark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Clark said:

Paul,

We now have QJBANNER /1 and /5.

Am I correct that this makes QJBANNER an operation and the /x’s the associated operatives?

That would be a logical assumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Clark said:

Overall I think the above docs go the furthest in confirming that QJWIN IS Mankel.

Why is that? 

As for Mali, it might be significant that it was a French colony at the time.

it would not be too surprising that expeses were incurred in Florida, as Harvey was attached to JMWAVE  until his ‘banishment’, btw away from the prying eyes of RFK who wanted him fired, to Rome.

Edited by Paul Brancato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Why is that? 

It’s  a combination of the volume of references, the confidence of the author, and the manner and approach to the subject.

To be sure Paul, you have asked, on several occasions, if we have anything besides CIA Docs equating Mankel with QJWIN. In this doc, we have a Rockefeller Commission writer, who is charged with investigating QJWIN, who never even raises the question of the Mankel ID. I think this is as close as we have gotten, that I know of, to fulfilling your desire for documentation from outside the CIA.

Quote

As for Mali, it might be significant that it was a French colony at the time.

Yes, (was it Mali then, and not Senegal?) and very international.

Edited by Michael Clark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

It’s  a combination of the volume of references, the confidence of the author, and the manner and approach to the subject.

To be sure Paul, you have asked, on several occasions, if we have anything besides CIA Docs equating Mankel with QJWIN. In this doc, we have a Rockefeller Commission writer, who is charged with investigating QJWIN, who never even raises the question of the Mankel ID. I think this is as close as we have gotten, that I know of, to fulfilling your desire for documentation from outside the CIA.

Yes, (was it Mali then, and not Senegal?) and very international.

I’ve seen the Rockefeller material before. The author has gotten his info from the CIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I’ve seen the Rockefeller material before. The author has gotten his info from the CIA.

I wish I knew if this, or any particular document had been released before. I take  the QJBANNER/5 content as evidence that this may be a new doc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

I wish I knew if this, or any particular document had been released before. I take  the QJBANNER/5 content as evidence that this may be a new doc.

It seems to me that I’ve read it before, but it still might be ‘new’. I probably didn’t notice the new cryptonym. Larry Hancock days that there were QJWIN offices in a few US locations, including California. He thinks it doesn’t refer only to an individual, but possibly an operation as well. Any docs you find are worth posting. I’m still interested in the offshore funding for AMLASH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that both Staff D and the crypt QJWIN appear to have been used as financial covers for disbursements that were highly compartmentalized vest pocket operations involving only a handful of officers - largely shielded from the formal Branch and Directorate administrative procedures.  You have someone very senior ordering an activity and then a couple of field officers involved, very peripheral CIA assets used, and then we only  learn about it because somebody, somewhere had to sign off on travel expenses or payments.  Certainly  that is true for the Congo, its also true for the Harvey/Roselli Castro assassination project.  Apparently John Newman knows of at least one other instance where QJWIN was used but I've been unable to get any detail on that.  I don't really think there were QJ/WIN offices but it seems that the crypt was used by more than one office, both overseas and in the second phase of the Cuba project

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×