The Education Forum

The Google Moon Challenge

Evan Burton

Do you have any idea how many groups are planning to compete for the X-prize?

Unknown at this time, though I expect there will be a fair few.

Does using a previous NASA Design, such as MER or Sojourner, count towards "private" exploration?

Unsure. So far only the content guidelines have been published. The actual terms & conditions are still being ratified. I would imagine that as long as copyright / IP was not going to be infringed, then it would be quite okay to use existing designs. If you can make it cheaper than private aerospace, then....

Has your group thought about who's launch system you'll likely use?

Almost certainly a commercial launch system. French, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, US... there are a few to choose from. It would be nice to have our own dedicated launch vehicle but I expect that the complexity and cost will be outside our capabilities.

I think the $15,000 would have been a waste of money, because Apollo conspiracists either wouldn't have read it, or wouldn't have believed it because it was funded by NASA. In the words of Scientific American, it's akin to paying $15,000 to prove the world is round. And conspiracists at the time were using it as proof that NASA had something to hide! ("Why don't they answer our questions? They've got something to hide... They ARE answering our questions, they MUST have something to hide! No, they've decided against it. They really DO have something to hide!")

So now you think that you can think and speak for the conspiracy believers ? ... If nasa could have proven that Apollo was not a hoax by spending a mere $15,000 they would have jumped at the chance ... The book wasn't written because it wouldn't have helped their cause , but rather hurt it by bringing it to even more people's attention that all was not well with the Apollo program .

Condescending? Moi? Try telling that to the billions of people who know Apollo happened.

Yes , you ... If billions of people believe that Apollo really landed men on the moon almost 40 years ago , and that the Apollo photographs are an accurate and honest portrayal of that alleged acheivement , then they shouldn't be worried at all about the millions of people who believe otherwise .

Scoff away. I'm sure many others are genuinely interested at what human beings can achieve when facing difficult challenges. I see it as part of the human esprit de coeur. You see it as something to treat with contempt and derision. Vive la difference!

This has nothing to so with the " human esprit de coeur" .. It has to do with a few science geeks thinking that they are smarter than nasa ... Well, on second thought , maybe that's not such a stretch of the imagination ! :lol:

What you're referring to is anyone's guess.

Nobody has to guess ... I made it very clear what I was talking about ... The unfoding of World War III , which I believe might put quite a little damper on any nation attempting to land on the Moon .

BTW, how many of these nations are planning to land manned missions ? ... Besides nasa's in 2020 ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Duane Daman

So now you think that you can think and speak for the conspiracy believers ? ... If nasa could have proven that Apollo was not a hoax by spending a mere $15,000 they would have jumped at the chance ... The book wasn't written because it wouldn't have helped their cause , but rather hurt it by bringing it to even more people's attention that all was not well with the Apollo program .

So now you think you can speak for NASA? The book wasn't written because a bean-counter somewhere realised it was a waste of public funds.

This has nothing to so with the " human esprit de coeur" .. It has to do with a few science geeks thinking that they are smarter than nasa ... Well, on second thought , maybe that's not such a stretch of the imagination ! :lol:

Shame, I thought part of you might get caught up in the romance of it. Don't tell me it's impossible to land a rover on the moon either?

Nobody has to guess ... I made it very clear what I was talking about ... The unfoding of World War III , which I believe might put quite a little damper on any nation attempting to land on the Moon .

That would indeed be a dampener, so here's hoping it won't happen.

BTW, how many of these nations are planning to land manned missions ? ... Besides nasa's in 2020 ? :rolleyes:

Hopefully! There are conflicting reports re China making a moon landing between 2017 and 2025 depending on which source you believe. No definite proposals yet, so I'd go for the latter date as being most optimistic .

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/China_To...ng_In_2017.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/19/china_lunar_plans/

http://www.chinatoday.com.cn/English/e2007/e200708/p10.htm

http://www.spacetoday.org/China/ChinaMoonflight.html

Japan's plans are tentative at the moment...

http://ori.msnbc.msn.com/id/12305467/

...As are India's.

http://www.jaxa.jp/article/special/lunar/exploration_e.html

Time will tell! Personally I think we're in for an exciting time: that's the eternal optimist in me (glass always half-full!) If you have internet access in your nuclear bunker, I'll keep you posted as to how things are going. :)

So now you think you can speak for NASA? The book wasn't written because a bean-counter somewhere realised it was a waste of public funds.

And I repeat , since you didn't understand the real reason the first time .... If nasa could have proven that Apollo was not a hoax by spending a mere $15,000 they would have jumped at the chance ... The book wasn't written because it wouldn't have helped their cause , but rather hurt it by bringing it to even more people's attention that all was not well with the Apollo program .

Shame, I thought part of you might get caught up in the romance of it. Don't tell me it's impossible to land a rover on the moon either?

Hey , I'm as romantic as the next guy ! .. In fact , I'm so romantic that I not only think a rover can land on the moon , but I think that the geeks who land it there, can also go along for the ride .... I even think that you and Evan both should volunteer for the job ! ... After all , 12 Apollo astronots allegedly landed there using 40 year old technology , and set their moon ships down like it was a piece of cake ... so using your modern day technology , should be an even bigger piece of cake now !.... and I want to do my part by supplying you both with these very kewl astronot costumes , that you can wear on your trip .

c0_1.jpg

Oh , and make sure you take this kit along with you on your Moon mobile ... No real astronot should ever leave Earth orbit without it !

moonlandingkit.jpg

Time will tell! Personally I think we're in for an exciting time: that's the eternal optimist in me (glass always half-full!) If you have internet access in your nuclear bunker, I'll keep you posted as to how things are going. :)

Personally , I think we're in for an exciting time too !!! .... While I'm safe and sound in my nuke bunker , you boys will be deep frying on the radioactive lunar surface ! :lol:

c0_1.jpg

Oh , and make sure you take this kit along with you on your Moon mobile ... No real astronot should ever leave Earth orbit without it !

moonlandingkit.jpg

Personally , I think we're in for an exciting time too !!! .... While I'm safe and sound in my nuke bunker , you boys will be deep frying on the radioactive lunar surface ! :lol:

Aww Duane, you DO have a sense of humour! Shame it disappeared when we were having such fun with the Egypt Does Not Exist thread. Thanks for the offer of the suits, I wonder what you're trying to tell me by not including helmets? Are we to hold our breath? And what of the hard vacuum and micrometeorite threat? I'm sure it was merely an oversight on your part. To show there's no hard feelings, here's some sound advice to keep you safe in your bunker when the bombs start dropping. Stock up on white paint now!

Protect and Survive

Of course I have a sense of humor !! .... I must have just been in a cranky mood the day that you discovered that Egypt Does Not Exist ! :lol:

Sorry about forgetting your helmets boys .... I thought that super geeks such as yourselves could hold your breath that long , but I guess not ... So here ya go .. This should complete your costumes and now you can be " go for launch "! :P

K3191-large.jpg

That was a funny u-tube video on tips of how to survive the nukes .. I always did like British humor ... The 'Vicar of Dibley' rules !! :)

Of course I have a sense of humor !! .... I must have just been in a cranky mood the day that you discovered that Egypt Does Not Exist ! :lol:

Sorry about forgetting your helmets boys .... I thought that super geeks such as yourselves could hold your breath that long , but I guess not ... So here ya go .. This should complete your costumes and now you can be " go for launch "! :P

That's a bit more like it. A little bit "cone-head", but I'm sure I'll get it to fit.

That was a funny u-tube video on tips of how to survive the nukes .. I always did like British humor ... The 'Vicar of Dibley' rules !! :)

We British are renowned for our sense of humour and our steadfast reserve in the face of adversity. To be honest, I think we got to the moon first but didn't make an issue of it, allowing the US to steal glory from under our noses. No doubt this was in return for a welcome influx of American investment into the UK economy in the form of MacDonalds, Burger Kings and KFCs.

wallace.jpg

You know, as a kid I would have LOVED the stuff you can buy today. We'd use cardboard boxes, plastic containers, etc. I always wanted to order one of the submarines you could get from the back of the comics....

polaris-nuclear-sub-lg.jpg

*sigh*

I used to have an ejection seat from a Vampire jet trainer. For the dead-set spotter aviation geek, there is nothing cooler than having an ejection seat for an armchair... unless you have your own aircraft in the back yard.

Anyway, back on track. Duane, you mentioned a $15,000 figure a couple of times. I haven't read back through the thread... what is that figure referring to / based on?

You know, as a kid I would have LOVED the stuff you can buy today. We'd use cardboard boxes, plastic containers, etc. I always wanted to order one of the submarines you could get from the back of the comics....

polaris-nuclear-sub-lg.jpg

*sigh*

I used to have an ejection seat from a Vampire jet trainer. For the dead-set spotter aviation geek, there is nothing cooler than having an ejection seat for an armchair... unless you have your own aircraft in the back yard.

Anyway, back on track. Duane, you mentioned a $15,000 figure a couple of times. I haven't read back through the thread... what is that figure referring to / based on?

The $15,000 was the sum of money NASA were going to pay someone to publish a "moon hoax debunker" book. Sure would have bought a few polaris subs back in the day in days of yore! (Note to self: NEVER use that idiom again)

Talking about kewl stuff we wish we had as kids ... Looky what else I found for you boys ... A very awesome vintage astronaut dime bank ! ... That's right kids ... Now you will have a place where you can save up all your money to build that very important Moon mobile , which will take you both ( and Jack too if you will let him go along to analyse the photos you boys will take ) to the Lunar surface ! .... To the Moon and beyond !!! :ph34r:

5e51_1_b.JPG