The Education Forum
  • Announcements

• Evan Burton

OPEN REGISTRATION BY EMAIL ONLY !!! PLEASE CLICK ON THIS TITLE FOR INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION!:   06/03/2017

We have 5 requirements for registration: 1.Sign up with your real name. (This will be your Username) 2.A valid email address 3.Your agreement to the Terms of Use, seen here: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21403. 4. Your photo for use as an avatar  5.. A brief biography. We will post these for you, and send you your password. We cannot approve membership until we receive these. If you are interested, please send an email to: edforumbusiness@outlook.com We look forward to having you as a part of the Forum! Sincerely, The Education Forum Team
Kathy Beckett

Anyone else having software problems?

To everyone,

Is anyone else having forum software problems. In the past few days I have been trying to make post, but I'm instead getting blank pages saying that the action is "DONE". I have backed up and tried again to post as many as two dozen times before getting the forum software to allow my post to get through - other times I finally gave up!

I have reinstalled both Firefox and Explorer in an attempt to correct the problem, but it didn't work. I have cleared my history and cookies, but that didn't work either. I would like to know if anyone else is having these types of problems - what have they found to be the cause - and how did they fix it?

Thanks!

Kathy

To everyone,

Is anyone else having forum software problems. In the past few days I have been trying to make post, but I'm instead getting blank pages saying that the action is "DONE". I have backed up and tried again to post as many as two dozen times before getting the forum software to allow my post to get through - other times I finally gave up!

I have reinstalled both Firefox and Explorer in an attempt to correct the problem, but it didn't work. I have cleared my history and cookies, but that didn't work either. I would like to know if anyone else is having these types of problems - what have they found to be the cause - and how did they fix it?

Thanks!

Kathy

A week or so ago John and I decided to open up new registrations. We were hit by masses of spammers. I have deleted all of them but some of them may have caused some damage. You are not the first person to report this problem and it is being looked into.

Just as a reference point, I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.7 with Win XP (SP2) and am having no problems at all.

Guest Gary Loughran
Just as a reference point, I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.7 with Win XP (SP2) and am having no problems at all.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Problems with forum speed, blank pages etc. are probably to do with disk space.

Over 800MB's of disk space has been used up by members uploading images and documents with little or no regard to reducing image size before uploading. This is particular marked with the Apollo gang.

We have a quota of 475MB with our hosts. They have therefore been more than generous thus far.

This generosity is unlikely to continue and I will have to start deleting members uploads.

This will no doubt precipitate another wave of hand wringing and accusations of censorship and worse from some of our more excitable members but will have to be done sooner rather than later

Guest Gary Loughran

Ditto.

Over 800MB's of disk space has been used up by members uploading images and documents with little or no regard to reducing image size before uploading. This is particular marked with the Apollo gang.

We have a quota of 475MB with our hosts. They have therefore been more than generous thus far.

This generosity is unlikely to continue and I will have to start deleting members uploads.

This will no doubt precipitate another wave of hand wringing and accusations of censorship and worse from some of our more excitable members but will have to be done sooner rather than later

Andy it might be worthwhile posting this or similar in the JFK and Political Conspiracies forum.

Ditto.

Andy it might be worthwhile posting this or similar in the JFK and Political Conspiracies forum.

Do you know Gary I am not sure I can be bothered :angry:

Guest Gary Loughran

Ditto.

Do you know Gary I am not sure I can be bothered :angry:

I understand your exasperation...but forewarning might be worth reconsidering :angry:

All of which could be overcome if members used one of the free image-hosting sites such as Photobucket or Imageshack.

All of which could be overcome if members used one of the free image-hosting sites such as Photobucket or Imageshack.

Quite so.

Some members are considerate enough to do as you describe but a great deal are not

Perhaps I could give a heads up to everyone on the PC / JFK sections?

Warn them that on a regular basis (every month?) image uploads that are over 90 days old will be deleted.

If something is only of short term value, then use the upload facility.

If it is of long term value, then consider photobucket / imageshack / etc.

Give everyone warning that this will be happening with the first cleaning at the end of this month?

If you have important images, then photobucket them and replace the current forum tag in the post (using edit) and replace them with an external URL to photobucket.

If it's an important image but you did not post it, then simply save it to your computer.

Perhaps I could give a heads up to everyone on the PC / JFK sections?

Warn them that on a regular basis (every month?) image uploads that are over 90 days old will be deleted.

If something is only of short term value, then use the upload facility.

If it is of long term value, then consider photobucket / imageshack / etc.

Give everyone warning that this will be happening with the first cleaning at the end of this month?

If you have important images, then photobucket them and replace the current forum tag in the post (using edit) and replace them with an external URL to photobucket.

If it's an important image but you did not post it, then simply save it to your computer.

These are very sound ideas Evan.

Today I have had to delete around 100 uploaded images just to keep us functioning. The criteria I used was age (all posted in 2004 and 2005) and times viewed (all less than 10 page views). I will however have to remove more quite soon

To everyone,

Thanks!

Kathy

I increased the size of the Memory Paging Swap File and that seemed to help. Do a Google for Memory Paging Swap File.

It was because I just had too many Explorer sessions and pages opened at once and too many applications running at once.

You could also try to add more memory but that costs more money and you have to pop the chips into the mother board.

Or you might try with a freshly booted system with just one Explorer session open... into the Education Forum. See if these

combinations might help you.

Hi John,

I also run Firefox, and normally only have one or two tabs open at once but still get the blank page / done error on occasion.

I find if I hit my BACK button, I get back to the post page. I'll then copy the text (in case I lose it) and hit SUBMIT again.

It normally works on the second go.

If you are writing a fairly lengthy post, it's better to use a text editor then cut and paste it into the post box. That way if the post fails, you still have your text available.