The Education Forum
  • Announcements

• Evan Burton

OPEN REGISTRATION BY EMAIL ONLY !!! PLEASE CLICK ON THIS TITLE FOR INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR REGISTRATION!:   06/03/2017

We have 5 requirements for registration: 1.Sign up with your real name. (This will be your Username) 2.A valid email address 3.Your agreement to the Terms of Use, seen here: http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21403. 4. Your photo for use as an avatar  5.. A brief biography. We will post these for you, and send you your password. We cannot approve membership until we receive these. If you are interested, please send an email to: edforumbusiness@outlook.com We look forward to having you as a part of the Forum! Sincerely, The Education Forum Team
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stephen Turner

Great Yarmouth, Jewel of the East!

Guest Stephen Turner
I think it only fair that other seaside towns be given equal opportunities and rights in this battle of the beaches.

The Blackpool of the south is, without doubt, Southend on Sea, situated at the mouth of the Thames estuary. It boasts the longest pier in the world, stretching one and a quarter miles out to sea (or as the locals say “out to mud”), which is the distance the tide retreats twice daily from the shore, leaving an expanse of gleaming, glutinous, globulous, gallinaceous infested, seaweed-stinking brine porridge in which to flounder (much loved by the weird Victorians as a skin remedy it is said).

The below picture shows the Pier with the tide in retreat (or advance?) with the picturesque oil and gas sheds on the distant shore Isle of Sheppey):

300483903_ac959dd2a5.jpg

There is much more to reccomend this sans golden sands paradiso, including a low tide peramulation around the exit tunnel of the towns antiquated sewer system (see here at full tide):

425482955_892eafec2a.jpg

The Victorian era Pier has twice suffered fire damage and those of suspicious minds ask if insurance fraud was involved. But despite this possible blemish on an otherwise noble town, a tour of the splendid seafront is incomplete without dropping by the stylish "Golden Mile" - doubtlessly named in honour of British bling at its best:

1448397159_30af679711.jpg

On those bad weather days that largely occupy the summer months the town is rightly famous for other holidaying activities. Eating fish n chips, drinking beer... suicide at the prospect of another days spent in this raptured heaven:

1655726504_0b22572c84.jpg

The fact that the Romans by-passed Southend on Sea didn't stop others from populating the area and gave rise to the original name of the town Luctum-on-Sea. In-breeding remains a common practise.

Luctum on Sea:

1982315042_9237da7482.jpg

Luctum (aka Southend) on Sea as seen by God:

http://www.sarfend.co.uk/images/southendaerial1.jpg

All in all, Southend on Sea must stand out as one of the most desirable destinations in eastern England for those seeking sheer and unadulterated holiday pleasure.

It clearly beats the hell out of Gt. Yarmouth and Redcar.

Thats all quite excellent. How about scroby sands in Yarmouth. God it makes me homesick

Guest Stephen Turner

Although, to be fair Yarmouth is'nt all ugly.

And some sights are really quite loverly.

Guest Stephen Turner

But then, on the other hand!

Guest David Guyatt

scrobs sands looks so delightful that I'm not sure I can beat it for sheer beauty. Perhaps I will need to come up with another charming spot to compete. I was thinking of Canvey Island which I know to be sheer grot, but finding an accurate picture to reflect the enormity of its ugliness is harder than I expected.

I concede.

Guest Stephen Turner
scrobs sands looks so delightful that I'm not sure I can beat it for sheer beauty. Perhaps I will need to come up with another charming spot to compete. I was thinking of Canvey Island which I know to be sheer grot, but finding an accurate picture to reflect the enormity of its ugliness is harder than I expected.

I concede.

David I have an unfair advantage, I lived in Yarmouth for 22 years so I am well aware of all its "charms"

Guest Stephen Turner

As the local economy booms, a trainee signwriter displays his wares.