The Education Forum

its january, its prediction time.

Guest Stephen Turner

I did not argue that Liverpool had too many British players.

Of course I didn't think you were talking about those foreigners :lol:

Liverpool is a community minded club but it is also a top club in world football. Just as in the 1960's and 1970's top clubs had to draw players from all over the British Isles they now have to do so from a global catchment if they wish to compete.

You are quite within your rights to get all nostalgic for some golden age when players were always drawn from the communities they represented, but this really was never the case amongst the game's elite.

Shankly's message to Liverpool players was that "you play for them" (them meaning the fans). What the fans wish to see is success. Managers of Liverpool will stand or fall on whether they bring this succes. Nationality just isn't an issue.

Adelante a la victoria

Andres

You are quite within your rights to get all nostalgic for some golden age when players were always drawn from the communities they represented, but this really was never the case amongst the game's elite.

In 1886 WBA was considered to be the best team in England. Seven members of the team that reached the 1886 FA Cup Final still worked at Salter's Spring Factory in West Bromwich (WBA had originally been formed as the Salter's works team). This included Bob Roberts, Charlie Perry, George Woodhall, George Timmins, Ezra Horton, George Bell, and Harry Bell. All eleven players were born within a six-mile radius of West Bromwich. At the time the town had a population of 56,000 people. Six members of the team also went onto play for England.

Ten of the West Ham team that won the 1965 European Cup Winners Cup were born in London. The goalkeeper, Jim Standen, had been born in Worcester.

In 1886 WBA was considered to be the best team in England. Seven members of the team that reached the 1886 FA Cup Final still worked at Salter's Spring Factory in West Bromwich (WBA had originally been formed as the Salter's works team). This included Bob Roberts, Charlie Perry, George Woodhall, George Timmins, Ezra Horton, George Bell, and Harry Bell. All eleven players were born within a six-mile radius of West Bromwich. At the time the town had a population of 56,000 people. Six members of the team also went onto play for England.

Ten of the West Ham team that won the 1965 European Cup Winners Cup were born in London. The goalkeeper, Jim Standen, had been born in Worcester.

It does appear that you are older than I was first led to believe.

I was of course referring to 'elite clubs' in my last post. The baggies of 1886 and the hammers of 1965 (or indeed of any other time) hardly fit such a category.

Personally I regret the passing of mob football :lol:

Incidentally how many of these are Spanish in your considered opinion?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/youth/

Guest Gary Loughran

Ahhh, the good old days, still a,little before my time - but much celebrated in my part of the world The Lisbon Lions. Apparently some of these lads were born near Celtic Park.

Edited by Gary Loughran

Dallas won't be in the Superbowl.

BK

Hi Bill,

...and my team the Fins (the shame, I know) - have now absorbed a substantial number of the Dallas staff into the Miami organisation.

Good thing??

After my other team in BB the Mets meltdown at the end of last season, I'm having a bad time with my teams.

Except the Hammers of course.

Gary

Hitler a Cowboy fan?

The Superbowl is between the undefeated New England Pats and the two touchdown underdog New Jersey Giants.

A lot was riding on the Dallas Cowboys however, especially when they were 13-3, but losing to the arch rival Philadelphia Eagles, and then in the first round of the playoffs.

The Cowboy's failures are still reverbating around the league however, as this scene from Hitler's bunker clearly indicates.

BK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I'll take the Jersey Giants in the big game, and the 14 points.

BK

Guest Gary Loughran
Dallas won't be in the Superbowl.

BK

Hi Bill,

...and my team the Fins (the shame, I know) - have now absorbed a substantial number of the Dallas staff into the Miami organisation.

Good thing??

After my other team in BB the Mets meltdown at the end of last season, I'm having a bad time with my teams.

Except the Hammers of course.

Gary

Hitler a Cowboy fan?

The Superbowl is between the undefeated New England Pats and the two touchdown underdog New Jersey Giants.

A lot was riding on the Dallas Cowboys however, especially when they were 13-3, but losing to the arch rival Philadelphia Eagles, and then in the first round of the playoffs.

The Cowboy's failures are still reverbating around the league however, as this scene from Hitler's bunker clearly indicates.

BK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

I'll take the Jersey Giants in the big game, and the 14 points.

BK

Hi Bill, believe it or not the Hitler spoof I'm fairly sure was originally done for the Sheffield United/West Ham promotion/relegation fight last year. Something John and I both enjoyed..albeit at the end.

Thought Romo was a little green in the game. Audibling too often, getting frustrated and confusing his linemen at vital moments.

Anyway the big Tuna is now heading the Miami Cowboys. Did the Jimmy Johnston experience teach Huizenga nothing.

Would like the North Rochester Giants to win, if only to preserve the perfect season for Shula and his charges.

Gary

Hi Bill, believe it or not the Hitler spoof I'm fairly sure was originally done for the Sheffield United/West Ham promotion/relegation fight last year. Something John and I both enjoyed..albeit at the end.

According to the BBC website US Presidential candidate Barack Obama has been a supporter of West Ham ever since a visit to London five years ago.

According to the BBC website US Presidential candidate Barack Obama has been a supporter of West Ham ever since a visit to London five years ago.

So he doesn't know much about football either then?

• 2 months later...
Guest Stephen Turner
Premiership champions, Manchester United, runners up, Arsenal, relegated, Derby, Sunderland, Fulham.

FA Cup Winners, Manchester City, runners up Totenham, Semi Finalists Manchester United, West ham United.

European Cup Winners, Chelsea, Runners up AC Milan, semi finalists, Manchester United, Barcelona.

I'm only doing the big three, as my knowledge of the lower leagues is'nt that great these days.

YOUR TURN. ( Gary, and John)

From three months ago. Prem, pretty good, FA Cup, well, honestly, who didn't foresee a Portsmouth Cardiff final, European cup, three out of four semi finalists, just hope I've predicted the wrong winners.

Edited by Stephen Turner

Premiership champions, Manchester United, runners up, Chelsea, relegated, Derby, Wigan, Fulham.

West Ham (6th)

FA Cup Winners, Chelsea, runners up Manchester United, Semi Finalists Arsenal, Manchester City.

European Cup Winners, Manchester United, Runners up Chelsea.

Poor on the FA Cup and West Ham but could be right about the rest.

As you can see I did not predict anything for Arsenal. It did not surprise me at all that they crumbled under pressure. They lacked leadership (Gallas must be the worst captain in the Premiership) and experienced players when the going got tough.

• 1 month later...
Premiership champions, Manchester United, runners up, Chelsea, relegated, Derby, Wigan, Fulham.

West Ham (6th)

FA Cup Winners, Chelsea, runners up Manchester United, Semi Finalists Arsenal, Manchester City.

Not too bad. Completely wrong about the FA Cup and West could only finish 10th. But got the premiership and the European Cup right. I thought in both cases Manchester United deserved their victories.

Guest Stephen Turner

West Ham (6th)

Not too bad. Completely wrong about the FA Cup and West could only finish 10th. But got the premiership and the European Cup right. I thought in both cases Manchester United deserved their victories.

John wins this years NOSTRADAMUS award.

John wins this years NOSTRADAMUS award.

What prize has Andy won? What do you expect from a Liverpool supporter.

Premiership - Arsenal - runners up Man Ure

Relegated - Derby, Sunderland, Fulham

FA Cup - Man Ure

Champions League - Liverpool

I hope everybody noticed that the two teams last night included four players from the West Ham Academy. Maybe, that is where Liverpool and Arsenal are going wrong.

Guest Stephen Turner
What prize has Andy won? What do you expect from a Liverpool supporter.

Andy wins a DVD of Liverpools last trip to Old Trafford, otherwise known as Mascherano meltdown.