The Education Forum

Apollo 17: A Little More Controversy

Duane Daman

In this Apollo 17 video clip we get to see Jack Schmitt allegedly on the Moon with his outer protective gold visor up.

Listen near the end of this short video clip to hear mision contol tell him to put his gold visor down "OUT HERE IN THE SUN " ... Sounds like Jack might be real close by, as in ; right "here"on Earth .. Freudian slip perhaps ?

Moon Landing: Apollo 17 ..." A little more controversy in the moon landing missions"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e6c60m3JbKw&NR=1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this Apollo 17 video clip we get to see Jack Schmitt allegedly on the Moon with his outer protective gold visor up.

Listen near the end of this short video clip to hear mision contol tell him to put his gold visor down "OUT HERE IN THE SUN " ... Sounds like Jack might be real close by, as in ; right "here"on Earth .. Freudian slip perhaps ?

Moon Landing: Apollo 17 ..." A little more controversy in the moon landing missions"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e6c60m3JbKw&NR=1

I'd like to nominate this thread as an early contender for the 2008 Forum Awards, in the "Least Convincing Argument" category.

No offence and all that old bean, but come on... step outside and have a word with yourself! :lol:

It's not just the little freudian slip by mission control saying "out here in the Sun" , but also the fact that Schmitt was caught on camera several times without his gold visor in place and also with no pressure helmet reflection showing under his pulled up gold visor .

Even in this video , no pressure helmet reflection can be seen underneath and below the outer gold visor "out here in the Sun" . :lol:

When he turns to the side it's looks as if he has no pressure helmet on underneath the outer visor ... and in a vacuum , we all know what that means .

I will post a photo here which shows a close up of Schmitt with his gold visor pulled up and what looks like his hairline and forehead showing, instead of his fly cap and pressure helmet .

Can anyone say ... APOLLO SIMULATION PROJECT ? :blink:

He clearly has a pressure helmet on, the sun can be seen reflecting off it quite brightly whenever he's facing the camera.

The only thing the Sun is reflecting off of in this video clip is the outer gold visor, which is pulled half way up .

The part below the outer visor , where his face is and where the pressure helmet should show some kind of reflection , doesn't .

Clearly they were orchestrating the conspiracy in the CENTRE OF THE SUN. Maybe they took refuge under a sunspot or a filament!

If that's suppossed to be funny, you missed completely.

It looks as though you could really use some brushing up on your mockery techniques of the CT's and the hoax evidence . :lol:

Oh boy! I guess he's going to show the 'Armstrong holding his breath on the lunar surface without his helmet on' image next, and claim THAT was real.... but the nasty NASA Men-in-Black had it expunged from everywhere and everything.

Yeah, right Duane.

Clearly they were orchestrating the conspiracy in the CENTRE OF THE SUN. Maybe they took refuge under a sunspot or a filament!

If that's suppossed to be funny, you missed completely.

It looks as though you could really use some brushing up on your mockery techniques of the CT's and the hoax evidence . :lol:

I think the brushing up needs to come from you Duane in your selection of what's evidence, and what's not.

Edited by Gavin Stone

I think the brushing up needs to come from you Duane in your selection of what's evidence, and what's not.

Okay then , here's some evidence for you Gav...

"Mattingly was sure the "disappearance" of the stars was due to his gold visor. The doctors had advised him to leave the reflector down, LEST HE BE EXPOSED TO HARMFUL RADIATION, but he couldn't stand it anymore."

" He blinked the visor open just long enough for the universe to show a familiar face: There they are! "

A Man On The Moon - P.492 A.Chaikin

I guess maybe Jack Schmitt had some kind of Superman powers "out here in the Sun" , cuz he sure didn't seem as concerened as Mattingly did about what that RADIATION EXPOSURE WOULD DO TO HIS EYES WITH HIS GOLD VISOR ALWAY PULLED DOWN !

Oh boy! I guess he's going to show the 'Armstrong holding his breath on the lunar surface without his helmet on' image next, and claim THAT was real.... but the nasty NASA Men-in-Black had it expunged from everywhere and everything.

Yeah, right Duane.

It looks like you could use a little brushing up on your mockery techniques there as well , Mr. pro-Apollo . ;)

Okay then , here's some evidence for you Gav...

"Mattingly was sure the "disappearance" of the stars was due to his gold visor. The doctors had advised him to leave the reflector down, LEST HE BE EXPOSED TO HARMFUL RADIATION, but he couldn't stand it anymore."

" He blinked the visor open just long enough for the universe to show a familiar face: There they are! "

A Man On The Moon - P.492 A.Chaikin

I guess maybe Jack Schmitt had some kind of Superman powers "out here in the Sun" , cuz he sure didn't seem as concerened as Mattingly did about what that RADIATION EXPOSURE WOULD DO TO HIS EYES WITH HIS GOLD VISOR ALWAY PULLED DOWN !

Once again, you are making assumptions, leaping to conclusions, and not checking your facts.

The astronauts were advised to leave their gold visors down, because it helped stop harmful glare to their eyes and did help protect them from radiation. Not having it down meant that they would get additional exposure; not something that they did willy-nilly, but if required they did that.

Most people kept the visor down. Mission Control reminded people not to leave the gold visor up... but Jack did on a number of occasions. Why would that be?

You yourself noted the conversation... but you left a little off the end. Have a think about that bit:

165:01:54Parker: Hey, Jack. And we see your gold visor is up. You may want to put it down out here in the Sun.

[Jack climbs out of the crater and moves cross slope, angling uphill and to the east.]

165:02:02 Schmitt: Well, I think I might...I can't see with it down; it's scratched! Bob, I'll use it. I think I can monitor that one (meaning his visor). (Pause)

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17.sta6.html

Once again, you are making assumptions, leaping to conclusions, and not checking your facts

I didn't leap to any assumptions .... I merely quoted what the medical doctor's advise was, as to why the astronaut's protective gold visors should have been used as they were designed to be used ..."LEST HE BE EXPOSED TO HARMFUL RADIATION".

The fact that Jack Schmitt completely ignored this advise many times, means he either didn't give a rip about protecting his eyes and face from being exposed to the radiation on the lunar surface and the deadly cosmic radiation of deep space ... or he wasn't really on the Moon, but rather "out here in the Sun ".

Edited by Duane Daman

You are obviously far more knowledgeable about this, being able to make such claims.

Tell me - what was the increase in exposure by raising the visor, and what was its effect? You're so sure of your claim... you should be able to look that up. It's available on the internet.

Enlighten us.

Enlighten us.

Gladly ... This is a quote from a NASA web site .... Your favorite kind .

"Reflect on this. Many satellites carry gold-coated mylar sheets to protect them from solar heat. A thin layer of gold on an astronaut's helmet visor FENDS OFF DANGEROUS EFFECTS OF SOLAR RADIATION . Satellite microelectronics that instantaneously relay data around the globe depend on gold components to ensure reliable, corrosion-resistant and static-free performance."

SOURCE

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/spinoff1997/hm2.html