The Education Forum

Barack Obama or John McCain

John Simkin

St. Samantha de Power

If Obama had half a brain he would SEIZE POWER and BRING BACK SAMANTHA NOW.

Even in the New York-based Irish Voice, Saint Samantha's discussion of the United Nations' importance is marginalized to the Entertainment section.

Power says she now has no role in the Obama campaign and refutes recent reports that hint at a comeback.

http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irish-voic...ower050408.aspx

Say it ain't so, Barack.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had any great affection for Obama [even if he is the lesser of evils!], but today when I heard he was NOT in Memphis for the 40th anniversary of the USA termination of MLK, I stopped what LITTLE postive feeling I had for him. His advisors and his party say it all....corporate Borg - just is the most 'liberal' model...so what! The same old, same old....hurray for an African-American running for President...but NOT a progressive one - not all all! Sorry! He really failed his 'test' today. Playing to the average Sheeple and 'playing politics' to win is not my idea of a 'leader'. A real leader and real role-model does what is correct - NO MATTER what the consequences! We have none like that running for President. They were all killed - or marginalized - people like that exist in America, but the system will not let them get to first base....

You are too harsh on him Peter. To have attended would have been gesture politics. It would have played into the hands of the racists who want to portray him as a left-winger. In fact, the main tactic of his opponents seem to be to stress that he is a black man. Obama's campaign is based on the idea that a high proportion of Americans are racists.

What would be unacceptable is if he said something he did not believe in order to get elected. However, as far as I can see he has not done this. In a democracy it is sometimes important to vote for the candidate who has a chance of winning. The powers that be love to see progressives fragmented into their factions. The world desperately needs a president who is willing to deal sensibly with the world's problems. If that means someone who does not go to Memphis, so be it.

Barack Obama actually did something very clever yesterday. Report on CBS News:

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/04/04/po...ry3994099.shtml

Barack Obama commemorated the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King in northeastern Indiana as opposed to Memphis, where his opponents Hillary Clinton and John McCain are observing the day. Obama said he felt it was important to discuss Dr. King’s efforts in places where his work has not come to fruition.

“I spoke at Dr. King's church on his birthday, was with the King family then. I obviously gave a fairly fulsome speech on the state of race relations just two weeks ago. And I think it's important to spread the message that Dr. King's work is unfinished in places like Indiana and North Dakota.”

Nevertheless, Indiana is significant to King’s death because it is where Robert Kennedy first spoke about the assassination. Kennedy, who was running for president at the time, was campaigning in the state when the news broke. Obama spoke of Kennedy in his remarks.

“And in few places was the pain more pronounced than in Indianapolis, where Robert Kennedy happened to be campaigning. And it fell to him to inform a crowded park that Dr. King had been killed. And as the shock turned toward anger, Kennedy reminded them of Dr. King’s compassion, and his love. And on a night when cities across the nation were alight with violence, all was quiet in Indianapolis.”

Obama used his speech on King to address the current economic crisis, saying that the recession and the housing crisis are proof that King’s work is unfinished.

“The struggle for economic justice remains an unfinished part of the King legacy because the dream is still out of reach for too many Americans,” Obama said.

“Just this morning, it was announced that more Americans are unemployed now than at any time in years. And all across this country, families are facing rising costs, stagnant wages, and the terrible burden of losing a home. That is why the great need of this hour is much the same as it was when Dr. King delivered his sermon in Memphis.”

Obama said he was inspired to run for president because Dr. King’s belief in the “fierce urgency of now.”

“Dr. King wrote a famous book about why we can’t wait. We can’t wait to fix our schools, we can’t wait to fix our health care system, we can’t wait to end global warming, we can not wait to put this war to a close and go after the terrorists who actually killed 3,000 Americans. So that’s why I am running.”

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics...0,7855250.story

On the 40th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination, Hillary Rodham Clinton flew to Memphis, Tenn., where she called for the appointment of a cabinet-level "poverty czar" to cope with the economic downturn.

Shortly thereafter -- at the bury-the-news hour of 4:05 p.m. on a Friday -- staffers released Bill and Hillary Clinton's 2000-2006 tax returns showing that the couple earned a not very working-class $109 million.

Clinton, a member of the gilded class clinging to a Rust Belt base, had long delayed disclosing details of her fortune, for fear of driving blue-collar and low-income voters to Barack Obama. The Illinois senator and his wife have earned about 4 percent of the Clintons' income during the past seven years.

But some political observers now say Clinton's procrastination was self-defeating because the release of the returns comes so close to the make-or-break April 22 Pennsylvania primary -- and within days of the dreaded April 15 Internal Revenue Service filing deadline....

The magnitude of Clinton's wealth has been widely known since the couple released Senate disclosure forms last year revealing Bill Clinton's staggering income from speeches and book advances, which catapulted them from near-insolvency to a $50-million net worth.

Still, the returns raise questions about the former president's business connections with two high-profile businessmen, Ron Burkle, a billionaire investor with long-standing connection to the rulers of Dubai, and Vinod Gupta, founder of database vendor InfoUSA.

Since 2003, Clinton has been paid about $15 million by the Yucaipa Cos. investment firm run by Burkle for providing "his best advice on potential investments" and for advocating "generally on behalf of the funds," according to a spokesman for the Clintons.

The records also show he's been paid $800,000 by Gupta's firm, which has been accused of selling call lists to predatory telemarketers. Lawyers for some InfoUSA investors last year claimed Bill Clinton had been guaranteed $3.3 million.

A spokesman for the Clintons didn't reply to requests for an explanation of the discrepancy.

I've never had any great affection for Obama [even if he is the lesser of evils!], but today when I heard he was NOT in Memphis for the 40th anniversary of the USA termination of MLK, I stopped what LITTLE postive feeling I had for him. His advisors and his party say it all....corporate Borg - just is the most 'liberal' model...so what! The same old, same old....hurray for an African-American running for President...but NOT a progressive one - not all all! Sorry! He really failed his 'test' today. Playing to the average Sheeple and 'playing politics' to win is not my idea of a 'leader'. A real leader and real role-model does what is correct - NO MATTER what the consequences! We have none like that running for President. They were all killed - or marginalized - people like that exist in America, but the system will not let them get to first base....

You are too harsh on him Peter. To have attended would have been gesture politics. It would have played into the hands of the racists who want to portray him as a left-winger. In fact, the main tactic of his opponents seem to be to stress that he is a black man. Obama's campaign is based on the idea that a high proportion of Americans are racists.

What would be unacceptable is if he said something he did not believe in order to get elected. However, as far as I can see he has not done this. In a democracy it is sometimes important to vote for the candidate who has a chance of winning. The powers that be love to see progressives fragmented into their factions. The world desperately needs a president who is willing to deal sensibly with the world's problems. If that means someone who does not go to Memphis, so be it.

"It would have played into the hands of the racists who want to portray him as a left-winger."

The term "left wing" is seldom used anymore by the mainstream media.

It historically was an adjective for liberal.

Obama is liberal.

Observing facts doesn't make one a racist.

Falsely labelling people as racists is no better than being a racist.

I like and respect Obama quite a bit, but I am not going to vote for him because he is against many things I am for and vice versa.

I will not vote for the other 2 candidates, because I neither like nor respect them, irrespective of whether they are liberal, conservative or opportunists who lack any core beliefs.

"In fact, the main tactic of his opponents seem to be to stress that he is a black man."

I trust that you mean the Clintons, since they and their emissaries seem to be the only campaign which is injecting race into the election.

Their comments and character assassination have been shameful.

"Obama's campaign is based on the idea that a high proportion of Americans are racists."

I don't have a clue as to what this means, John.

I thought that Obama's campaign is based on his belief that his candidacy and message can transcend the color of his skin.

I think that my belief will be borne out by his election as our next President, but time will tell.

He has not once responded to any of the outlandish rhetoric of HRC, WJC or their campaign.

To the contrary, he responds with his usual positive message and behavior, which stands in stark contrast to both of his opponents.

Edited by Christopher Hall

This primary campaign seems to go on forever, and I hear people praising the British system where an election campaign is over in a few weeks. One recent poll shows Hillary with a 20% lead in Pennsylvania, while the most recent shows her with a 5% lead. Only one poll counts, of course, and we must wait another week for the actual primary results.

Hillary and the entire news media have gone to town on comments by the bold Barack that are perceived as "elitist" (I think "elitist" means he went to Harvard, unlike the Bushes & Clintons who went to Yale), but this new poll from ABC/Washington Post shows that Hillary has a serious credibility problem.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8041502883.html

Meanwhile, the latest Gallup poll shows Obama's lead is widening among Democrats nationally.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/106537/Gallup-D...Clinton-40.aspx

And Obama takes lead in N. Carolina & Indiana

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...refer=worldwide

I wish she would just go away.

Edited by J. Raymond Carroll

Peggy Noonan in today's Wall Street Journal

This is what I think will happen. At some future point Mrs. Clinton will leave, and at a more distant one she will try to come back. But more than one cycle will have to pass before she does. She'll need more than four years to shake off the impression she made in 2008. And this is how you'll know she's making another bid for the presidency. She will wear skirts. Gone will be the pantsuits that made her look like a small blond man with breasts. It's the new me, I wear skirts! Her first impulse is to think cosmetically. A long and weary life in politics has left her thinking this is the way to think.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1208460566...days_columnists

It is many years since anyone has seen Hillary's legs on public display. Hillary's legs look like they belong on an elephant's body, hence the decision to keep them out of public view. I am surprised that Peggy Noonan never noticed this. It just shows you that women are not as observant as men, on subjects that really matter.

Many people wonder why Hillary does not appeal to a large segment of male voters, and I can now reveal the reason:

Most men judge a woman by her legs, and they figure that a woman who won't show her legs in public must have some monstrous secret to hide.

It is many years since anyone has seen Hillary's legs on public display. Hillary's legs look like they belong on an elephant's body, hence the decision to keep them out of public view. I am surprised that Peggy Noonan never noticed this. It just shows you that women are not as observant as men, on subjects that really matter.

Many people wonder why Hillary does not appeal to a large segment of male voters, and I can now reveal the reason:

Most men judge a woman by her legs, and they figure that a woman who won't show her legs in public must have some monstrous secret to hide.

I don't remember what her legs look like. However, I think it has more to do with the tone of her voice. I cannot bear the idea of hearing her talk for another four years.

An op-ed piece in the New York Times:

How Obama Fell to Earth

By DAVID BROOKS

April 18, 2008

Back in Iowa, Barack Obama promised to be something new — an unconventional leader who would confront unpleasant truths, embrace novel policies and unify the country. If he had knocked Hillary Clinton out in New Hampshire and entered general-election mode early, this enormously thoughtful man would have become that.

But he did not knock her out, and the aura around Obama has changed. Furiously courting Democratic primary voters and apparently exhausted, Obama has emerged as a more conventional politician and a more orthodox liberal.

He sprinkled his debate performance Wednesday night with the sorts of fibs, evasions and hypocrisies that are the stuff of conventional politics. He claimed falsely that his handwriting wasn’t on a questionnaire about gun control. He claimed that he had never attacked Clinton for her exaggerations about the Tuzla airport, though his campaign was all over it. Obama piously condemned the practice of lifting other candidates’ words out of context, but he has been doing exactly the same thing to John McCain, especially over his 100 years in Iraq comment.

Obama also made a pair of grand and cynical promises that are the sign of someone who is thinking more about campaigning than governing....

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/18/opinion/...79e&ei=5087

There are plenty of men that do not judge a woman by her legs. But that

helps explain why J Raymond Carroll thinks Ann Coulter is a "HOTTIE."

Edited by Michael Hogan