The Education Forum

Nazi Germany Panel

John Simkin

I have been a history teacher (students aged 11 to 18) for 25 years. I am the author of the book Adolf Hitler (1987) and the website Germany: 1900-45.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Germany.htm

An organic project, so far there are sections on the First World War (82), German Art (18), German Scientists (26), Weimar Republic (16), Political Parties (8), Political Leaders : 1900-1930 (42), Foreign Policy: 1930-40 (12), Military Leaders (42), Nazi Germany (34), Nazi Political Leaders (74), German Resistance to Nazism (52), Holocaust (46).

I have been a history teacher for fifteen years and an examiner for GCSE and A level for six years.

My web site HISTORY GCSE is a site designed to help students prepare for their examinations. One of the main features of the site is a large section on Weimar and Nazi Germany.

I have been the Head of the History Department of Hvitfeldtska Gymnasiet in Gothenburg, Sweden, the last 6 years. Before that I tought History at a few High Schools, Colleges and Universities. My specific interest and knowledge are the Spansih Civil War (where I have done some work on the Swedish reaction and Swedish volunteers), 19th and early 20th Century Russian History and the Nordic Countries (especially Finland and Sweden) during the 19th and early 20th Century. I also have some knowledge about Germany during the same periods and the coming of World War One and World War Two.

With a BA in history and politics and MA in political philosophy, I have been a history teacher since 1993. I am currently Head of Humanities at the International School of Toulouse in France and I was previously Head of Politics at Olchfa School in Swansea, south Wales.

I teach IGCSE History and IB History and consequently have a current 'expertise' in modern history.

• 1 month later...

I have a BA in history, a BA in Political Science and am currently working on my Masters in American history. I teach American History, U.S. Government/Constitution and Middle East Studies at Winfield High School in Winfield, Kansas USA. I am a member of the National Council for History Education and have recently created an on-line class in American History for Winfield High. Additionally, I am in the process of creating a history website, soon to be found at www.historygeek.org.

Edited by Justin Q. Olmstead

Although I'm a teacher of German and English (BA) I deal with the nazification process of the Germans of Romania, whose example is typical for all socalled "Volksdeutsche".

My websites deal with and criticize nationalism, racism, antisemitism, historical revisionism, irrationalism, fanaticism and the culture of resentment, cultivated by all groups of Volksdeutsche even after settling in Germany.

There are also editions of texts taken from German archives or from "Suedostdeutsche Vierteljahresblaetter", the organ of the nazi "Deutsche Volksgruppe in Rumaenien" (1940-1944),

Kritische Blaetter zur Geschichtsforschung und Ideologie

Die aktuellen Themen

An book of documents: Die Rumaeniendeutschen zwischen Demokratie und Diktatur. Der politische Nachlass von Hans Otto Roth 1919-1951

• 1 month later...

Having obtained a degree in Archaeological Studies I worked as a field archaeologist in Britain and then at the University of New Mexico. From there I moved into education and became a teacher in 1984. I have been a Head of Department and am currently the Head of History and Archaeology at the West Somerset Community Collge in Minehead, Somerset and also a Senior Teacher there. I have also gained examination experience having served as a moderator, examiner, team leader for both, Principal Examiner, INSET provider and reviser for one of the major GCSE boards (a number of these posts I still retain). I have published a number of things for Heinemann, Hodder and Stoughton and Shire Publications.

Ben Burgess is currently a student of Contemporary & International Military History at the University of Salford, UK. He is currently studying Theories of War as well as the development of the German Army and the evolution of Chinese & Japanese Warfare. Over the last two years he has taken part in several trips to Germany, France, Belgium and the Czech Republic as part of his continued research into the campaigns of the Second World War. He has also been fortunate enough to interview many veterans of the conflict along the way.

Aside from studying history Ben also heads the team behind The History Project and manages the design of the site, keeping pages indexed and editing new submissions. He has recently applied for a teaching position at a further education college in his hometown.

He also runs the History Project website:

http://www.thehistoryproject.co.uk/