The Education Forum

Eduardo

Guest Gary Loughran

I think that this is one of the most sickening tackles (or at least consequences of) that I have seen, at least since another Arsenal player, Diaby was kept out of the game for nine months. You have to question whether a 3 match ban is anywhere near enough for something like this, where a player clearly is not going for the ball and must know that he is going to injure his opponent. What a tragedy it would be for Eduardo if his career is over, as a season ticket holder who has seen most of his games, he is definitely a class act.

I think that this is one of the most sickening tackles (or at least consequences of) that I have seen, at least since another Arsenal player, Diaby was kept out of the game for nine months. You have to question whether a 3 match ban is anywhere near enough for something like this, where a player clearly is not going for the ball and must know that he is going to injure his opponent. What a tragedy it would be for Eduardo if his career is over, as a season ticket holder who has seen most of his games, he is definitely a class act.

It was a very bad tackle and Taylor definitely deserved to be sent off. However, it is legally unacceptable to impose a longer ban on someone because of the consequences of a bad tackle. Wenger's comments after the game about banning Taylor for life was appalling. There is no evidence that Taylor set out to hurt Eduardo (unlike those Arsenal players who were definitely trying to hurt Nanni in last week's game). That being said, the law should be changed to punish players for longer than 3 games if filmed evidence shows that they are guilty of "over the ball" tackles. This is something that must be stopped.

I agree with John the really disgraceful thing about this whole episode is Wenger's behaviour.

The tackle in question was late but no worse than much that you see in any game any week. Eduardo was extremely unlucky to suffer the injury he did but this is one of the risks professional footballers take.

Wenger is in no doubt an excellent coach but equally a crap manager. We frequently see him defending the indefensible when it comes to his own players and even saw him 'drawing handbags' against an opposing manager on live TV last year. He sets an appalling example to his players. This is why the current Arsenal set up will never be a great team - because of Wenger they lack any sort of discipline.

This was evidenced by the puerile behaviour of their "captain" at the end of the most recent game. This is a shame because technically they are all excellent footballers.

Wenger is in no doubt an excellent coach but equally a crap manager. We frequently see him defending the indefensible when it comes to his own players and even saw him 'drawing handbags' against an opposing manager on live TV last year. He sets an appalling example to his players. This is why the current Arsenal set up will never be a great team - because of Wenger they lack any sort of discipline.

This was evidenced by the puerile behaviour of their "captain" at the end of the most recent game. This is a shame because technically they are all excellent footballers.

This is very true. Ferguson seems to be able to solve the discipline problems of his players whereas Wenger makes them worse. I do not remember Gallas acting this way when he played for Chelsea.

Guest Stephen Turner

A dreadful injury, lets hope the young man recovers from it. but Gallas's behaviour, for the second week running, was reprehensible.

Statement issued by Eduardo that does him a great deal of credit:

I don't remember the incident very well and it is not something that I want to see again on television or in the newspapers. All I remember is that when I fell I looked down at my foot and it had turned the other way. The rest is just a blank. It was an unfortunate situation but these things can happen in football.

I am unsure of the extent of the injury and how long I will be out of action for but I know that I won't be able to play for Arsenal for the rest of the season or be ready in time for the Euros this summer. But I'm not worried about that. My concentration and determination is on making as quick a recovery as possible.

He clearly is a much more rational man than his manager.

I have to say that I find it absolutely astonishing that so many people have decided to have a go at Wenger and Gallas when they were simply reacting like human beings in the heat of the moment (Wenger retracted his statement in anycase, which is as usual overlooked). Is is just unlucky or just a coincidence that two Arsenal players suffer almost identical, potential career ending injuries? I am sure that those players and managers never set out to harm Edu or Diaby, but would it surprise me if they had it in their minds to rough them up? not really. Is that what football is about? No. Football should be played the way that Arsenal play it, not kicking the crap out of other players and the ball. As for Gallas, I saw a man of passion who was clearly very frustrated, as all Arsenal fans were, that we had dropped two points which should have been ours, and who was also aware that one of his teammates was in hospital. So what if he sat down on the pitch, no big deal.

As for Gallas, I saw a man of passion who was clearly very frustrated

The rest of us saw a "man child" throwing a pathetic strop :( . Worse still his ridiculous manager backs him up in his behaviour when he should be docking him a week's pay and stripping him of the captaincy.

Eduardo's statement does him great credit however.

I take it Dan you didn't see Arsenal try and 'kick the crap' out of Man U the other week then???

Football should be played the way that Arsenal play it, not kicking the crap out of other players and the ball.

How many red cards have Arsenal received since Wenger became manager? I suspect Arsenal have had more men sent off since the arrival of Wenger than any other team in the premiership.

When I saw the footage on MOTD at normal speed I just thought it was a badly timed tackle with much worse than usual consequences.

Seeing the photo linked below I'm not so sure. Taylor was worse than careless - this was "reckless endangerment" IMO. I agree that the FA need to have the ability to extend a ban to more than three days for such cases.

This image isn't graphic as it is "pre-injury" - others on the same page aren't for the faint-hearted.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02_0...MOS_468x278.jpg

'kick the crap' out of Man U the other week then???

I hardly think that we are comparing like with like, a pathetic piece of idiocy from Eboue, which may have scratched Evra's thigh, with a leg breaker of a tackle.

I think Andy was thinking more of the kicking of players like Nanni. What about Eboue's tackle on John Terry that broke his foot? That was a clear attempt to hurt another player.

I will start a new thread on tackling in football.

Guest Stephen Turner
I think Andy was thinking more of the kicking of players like Nanni. What about Eboue's tackle on John Terry that broke his foot? That was a clear attempt to hurt another player.

I will start a new thread on tackling in football.

If Wenger don't see em they don't count. BTW, why isn't Gallas up on a charge of bringing the game into disrepute? old boys network still operating I see.

What about Eboue's tackle on John Terry that broke his foot? That was a clear attempt to hurt another player.

I totally disagree John, that was a block rather than a tackle and Terry broke his foot as a result of the impact of his own action rather than that of Eboue.

And I am not sure what you mean by this Stephen

why isn't Gallas up on a charge of bringing the game into disrepute? old boys network still operating I see.
what old boys network? I don't see how a bit of petulance is bringing the game into disrepute?