The Education Forum

David Phillips's Unpublished Novel

One of the most interesting aspects of Jeff Morley's book, Our Man in Mexico, is that he has access to David Phillips' unpublished novel on the JFK assassination. Jeff reveals that the title of this novel was "The AMLASH Legacy". We now know that AMLASH was the code-name for the CIA operation to kill Fidel Castro.

On page 238 Jeff points out:

The notion that David Phillips or Angleton and his Counterintelligence team ran a closely held operation involving Oswald in the weeks before Kennedy was killed has become less implausible as more records have come into public view. Phillips himself entertained such a scenario later in life. In addition to two nonfiction memoirs, Phillips also wrote novels of espio¬nage. When he died in 1987, he left behind an outline for a novel about the Mexico City station in 1963, entitled "The AMLASH Legacy" The leading characters were explicitly based on Win Scott, James Angleton, and David Phillips himself. The role of the Phillips character in the events of 1963 was described as follows:

I was one of the two case officers who handled Lee Harvey Oswald. After working to establish his Marxist bona fides, we gave him the mission of killing Fidel Castro in Cuba. I helped him when he came to Mexico City to obtain a visa, and when he returned to Dallas to wait for it I saw him twice there. We rehearsed the plan many times: In Havana Oswald was to assassinate Castro with a sniper's rifle from the upper floor window of a building on the route where Castro often drove in an open jeep. Whether Oswald was a double-agent or a psycho I'm not sure, and I don't know why he killed Kennedy. But I do know he used precisely the plan we had devised against Castro. Thus the CIA did not anticipate the President's assassination but it was responsible for it. I share that guilt.

The outline for a novel cannot be taken as proof of anything save the workings of Phillips's imagination, but it is tantalizing. "The CIA did not anticipate the President's assassination but it was responsible for it. I share that guilt." Phillips was not one to impugn the agency just to make a buck. After his retirement he founded the Association of Foreign Intelligence Agents and served as its chief spokesman, ably defending the CIA from its critics without much compensation. He always insisted that his espionage fiction was realistic and denounced those who sought to cash in on JFK conspiracy scenarios. The outline for the novel suggests that the notion that a CIA officer like himself would recruit a schemer like Oswald in a conspiracy to kill Castro did not strike Phillips as too improbable to sell or too unfair to the agency to market under his own name.

One of the most interesting aspects of Jeff Morley's book, Our Man in Mexico, is that he has access to David Phillips' unpublished novel on the JFK assassination. Jeff reveals that the title of this novel was "The AMLASH Legacy". We now know that AMLASH was the code-name for the CIA operation to kill Fidel Castro.

On page 238 Jeff points out:

The notion that David Phillips or Angleton and his Counterintelligence team ran a closely held operation involving Oswald in the weeks before Kennedy was killed has become less implausible as more records have come into public view. Phillips himself entertained such a scenario later in life. In addition to two nonfiction memoirs, Phillips also wrote novels of espio¬nage. When he died in 1987, he left behind an outline for a novel about the Mexico City station in 1963, entitled "The AMLASH Legacy" The leading characters were explicitly based on Win Scott, James Angleton, and David Phillips himself. The role of the Phillips character in the events of 1963 was described as follows:

I was one of the two case officers who handled Lee Harvey Oswald. After working to establish his Marxist bona fides, we gave him the mission of killing Fidel Castro in Cuba. I helped him when he came to Mexico City to obtain a visa, and when he returned to Dallas to wait for it I saw him twice there. We rehearsed the plan many times: In Havana Oswald was to assassinate Castro with a sniper's rifle from the upper floor window of a building on the route where Castro often drove in an open jeep. Whether Oswald was a double-agent or a psycho I'm not sure, and I don't know why he killed Kennedy. But I do know he used precisely the plan we had devised against Castro. Thus the CIA did not anticipate the President's assassination but it was responsible for it. I share that guilt.

The outline for a novel cannot be taken as proof of anything save the workings of Phillips's imagination, but it is tantalizing. "The CIA did not anticipate the President's assassination but it was responsible for it. I share that guilt." Phillips was not one to impugn the agency just to make a buck. After his retirement he founded the Association of Foreign Intelligence Agents and served as its chief spokesman, ably defending the CIA from its critics without much compensation. He always insisted that his espionage fiction was realistic and denounced those who sought to cash in on JFK conspiracy scenarios. The outline for the novel suggests that the notion that a CIA officer like himself would recruit a schemer like Oswald in a conspiracy to kill Castro did not strike Phillips as too improbable to sell or too unfair to the agency to market under his own name.

DAP also wrote and published a non-fictional book on CIA Cuban Operations, which is very rare. I haven't read it and have never seen quotes from it.

BK

David Kaiser's The Road to Dallas has some more on the novel on page 288:"The outline carefully identified the characters with the real figures on which they were based:Mexico City station chief Winston Scott,HSCA investigator Gaeton Fonzi,Antonio Veciana,long-time assassination conspiricists Mark Lane and Bernard Fensterwald,and Phillips hinself,who went by the name of Harold Harrison.The novel focused on Harrison's son Don,who begins looking for his father's journal after his father's death.A Mexican woman who attended his father's funeral gives Don a letter written by his father.The letter explains that Harrison had been one of two case officers who recruited Lee Harvey Oswald...In the novel,Harrison has the last laugh when his son discovers that his father's posthumous letter is a forgery concocted by the Fensterwald character and a KGB agent whom Harrison had repeatedly outwitted during their spying careers.

In the novel,Harrison has the last laugh when his son discovers that his father's posthumous letter is a forgery concocted by the Fensterwald character and a KGB agent whom Harrison had repeatedly outwitted during their spying careers.

Did the unpublished novel come to light because of discovery during the lawsuit against Anthony Summers by Phillips? I had contacted Lesar,Summer's attorney,and he told me he had made notes while reading it.I have also seen references in books by Larry Hancock and Joan Mellen to a copy in the possession of Malcolm Blunt.It is my understanding that Phillips' widow has prevented any futher access.

Did the unpublished novel come to light because of discovery during the lawsuit against Anthony Summers by Phillips? I had contacted Lesar, Summer's attorney, and he told me he had made notes while reading it. I have also seen references in books by Larry Hancock and Joan Mellen to a copy in the possession of Malcolm Blunt. It is my understanding that Phillips' widow has prevented any futher access.

It is true that Malcolm Blunt has a copy of the manuscript and made it available to Larry Hancock and Jeff Morley.

This is the full extract from David Kaiser's book about "The AMLASH Legacy".

He (Phillips) rose eventually to be head of the Western Hemisphere branch of the CIA, and when he appeared before the Church Committee in 1975 he denied, falsely, that the CIA had anything to do with the overthrow of Salvador Allende in Chile two years earlier. In retirement, with several children to send through college, he launched a career as an author. His autobiography, The Night Watch (1977), was followed by a novel about intelligence, The Carlos Contract (1978), and The Great Texas Murder Trials (1979), a work of nonfiction. At some point before his death from cancer in 1988, he wrote an outline for another novel, entitled The AMLASH Legacy, dealing specifically with the Kennedy assassination.

The outline carefully identified the characters with the real figures on which they were based: Mexico City station chief Winston Scott, HSCA investigator Gaeton Fonzi, Antonio Veciana, long-time assassination conspiracists Mark Lane and Bernard Fensterwald, and Phillips himself , who went by the name of Harold Harrison. The novel focused on Harrison's son Don, who begins looking for his father's journal after his father's death. A Mexican woman who attended his father's funeral gives Don a letter written by his father. The letter explains that Harrison had been one of two case officers who recruited Lee Harvey Oswald, helped establish his credentials as a Marxist, and then attempted to send him to Cuba through Mexico City in order to assassinate Fidel Castro, using a sniper rifle from an upper floor of a high-rise to shoot Castro in his jeep. Harrison does not know whether Oswald was a double agent, the letter continues, but this was the same plan Oswald used to kill Kennedy. Allen Dulles, the letter stated, provided Harrison and the other unidentified agent with $400,000 to set up Oswald after he succeeded in assassinating Fidel.

In the novel, Harrison has the last laugh when is son discovers that his father's posthumous letter is a forgery concocted by the Fensterwald character and a KGB agent whom Harrison had repeatedly outwitted during, their spying careers. The real David Phillips might simply have concluded that since so many others had irresponsibly cashed in on the Kennedy assassination, he might as well do the same.

Yet his outline of this novel was the only document I know in existence before 1998 to suggest that Oswald might have been trying to go to Cuba to assassinate Castro. In that year, I wrote a short article to introduce the idea that - as "Leopoldo" suggested to Silvia Odio a few days before or a few days after Oswald's visit to Mexico City - Oswald's first assassination target may well have been the Cuban premier. We will probably never know whether Phillips was drawing on anything more than his imagination, but the plot of his novel, until the spectacular revelation at the end, tracks key events leading up to the Kennedy assassination almost perfectly.

I am certainly not thoroughly convinced that Phillips or any other CIA operative had anything to do with an assassination plot against Castro that involved 0swald. The plot might just as easily have been mounted by mob and right-wing elements such as John Martino, Loran Hall ("Leopoldo"), Guy Banister, David Ferrie, and Carlos Marcello in New Orleans as well as, perhaps, the DRE, which had infiltrated at least one member, Isidro Borja, into Cuba through Mexico City as well and placed its ad for a Castro assassin in See Magazine. Yet we cannot be sure that the CIA was not involved, especially since Martino had agency contacts of his own. Some evidence, including testimony from John Whitten and the recollections of British counterintelligence officer Peter Wright, suggests that James Angleton, the legendary chief of counterintelligence, was actually behind the Mafia plots against Castro, and Oswald's CIA 201 file was sitting in Angleton's shop when the report of his contacts with the Soviet Embassy reached headquarters.

John,

Is there any chance the manuscript will become generally available to everyone,such as being added to the Mary Ferrell site ?

As far as I know there is no "manuscript." There is a brief summary, just a few pages, which is what I quoted from. Jeff Morley provided it to me. I believe it was a proposal for a book which for some reason did not go any further.

• 3 weeks later...
John,

Is there any chance the manuscript will become generally available to everyone,such as being added to the Mary Ferrell site ?

As far as I know there is no "manuscript." There is a brief summary, just a few pages, which is what I quoted from. Jeff Morley provided it to me. I believe it was a proposal for a book which for some reason did not go any further.

It seems that most people David Phillip's was somehow envoled it the assassination. Hunt, Veciana, Nagell, Fonzi and anyone that has ever investigated Mexico City. IMO there is not a doubt that he was Maurice Bishop and that he was part of the assassination.

Is there any living co-worker's of DAP that have not been interviewed? And would they talk? I believe that the final chapter on the assassination will come from the people closest to DAP and the anti-castro cubans. Any thought's.

I am sure that everyone realizes the fact that it is somewhat problematic, in relying on information, in this case books by CIA officers, such as David Atlee Phillips to "understand" the intricacies of the Kennedy Assassination.

Bill Kelly mentioned the Phillips book about Intelligence Operations, and it being difficult to find. [Probably not as hard as finding a copy of Who's Who in the CIA...lol]

The point being, with regards to the above is that the scenario is not unlike asking the fox who killed the chickens.

This facet of the assassination has been present since 11/22/63,

ie The Warren Commission hierarchy asking questions about the CIA to Allen Dulles or James Jesus Angleton.......

Another item that I have never seen addressed on the Forum is the very name "Maurice Bishop," revelations about this person were revealed in the labyrinth of Antonio Veciana's detailing his account of the aforementioned being in the presence of Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, two months before the assasination. But I have never seen mention on the Forum of the very real Maurice Bishop who was the head of state in Grenada at the time of the Reagan-era invasion of that same country. Was the use of that particular code name some kind of inside joke? It appears to be a legitimate question

Then there is Morris Bishop.......Who seems to have always used his own name, there are records on him at NARA, so I suppose the point has been made......It is indeed a tall order to find out the truth when the very people you are ostensibly relying on to get to final resolution of the assassintion of JFK, arguably have a vested interest in making sure any real information is some blur between fiction and reality.....Not a real feel good message, but its better that having your eyes wide shut.....

I am sure that everyone realizes the fact that it is somewhat problematic, in relying on information, in this case books by CIA officers, such as David Atlee Phillips to "understand" the intricacies of the Kennedy Assassination.

Bill Kelly mentioned the Phillips book about Intelligence Operations, and it being difficult to find. [Probably not as hard as finding a copy of Who's Who in the CIA...lol]

The point being, with regards to the above is that the scenario is not unlike asking the fox who killed the chickens.

This facet of the assassination has been present since 11/22/63,

ie The Warren Commission hierarchy asking questions about the CIA to Allen Dulles or James Jesus Angleton.......

Another item that I have never seen addressed on the Forum is the very name "Maurice Bishop," revelations about this person were revealed in the labyrinth of Antonio Veciana's detailing his account of the aforementioned being in the presence of Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, two months before the assasination. But I have never seen mention on the Forum of the very real Maurice Bishop who was the head of state in Grenada at the time of the Reagan-era invasion of that same country. Was the use of that particular code name some kind of inside joke? It appears to be a legitimate question

Then there is Morris Bishop.......Who seems to have always used his own name, there are records on him at NARA, so I suppose the point has been made......It is indeed a tall order to find out the truth when the very people you are ostensibly relying on to get to final resolution of the assassintion of JFK, arguably have a vested interest in making sure any real information is some blur between fiction and reality.....Not a real feel good message, but its better that having your eyes wide shut.....

Agree very much with you one relying on those in 'intelligence' to speak with less than a forked tongue. The New Jewel Movement of Bishop didn't happen until 1979 and I think he was an unknown in the early 60s....or are you proposing he was actually a provocateur using the name previously used by one of Oswald's handlers?

None of this we discuss here is 'feel good stuff'....quite the opposite. My low general opinion of humanity has tumbled much in recent decades. All we can do is fight the forces of denial, ignorance and control. No one ever said we'd win. Fact is, I'm getting very pessimistic about that happening......but it is still possible and we've got give it our best shot and say we tried.

Regarding your question, that is one of those areas, I do not know much about, except that the Maurice Bishop, of Grenada, if it is the same one I have just found out about, had some rather weird pursuits in the US of A, years earlier.

This Bishop was active in religious activities in Benton Harbor Michigan......As far as the scenario you mentioned, ie deliberately using the name of the Bishop who met with Oswald in Dallas, my guess is that there was probably something like that going on.....

Maurice Rupert Bishop (May 29, 1944 – October 19, 1983) was a Grenadian politician and revolutionary.

Bishop was the son of Rupert and Alimenta Bishop. He was educated at the London School of Economics and had an extensive background in studies of the black power movement. Returning to Grenada, he became active in politics. In 1973 he became head of the Marxist New Jewel Movement political party. He was elected to parliament, and for several years he held the position of leader of the opposition in the Grenadian House of Representatives, opposing the government of Prime Minister Eric Gairy and his Grenada United Labour Party (GULP).

In 1979 Bishop's party staged a revolution and deposed Gairy, who was out of the country addressing the United Nations at the time. Bishop subsequently suspended the constitution and declared himself Prime Minister of Grenada. All political parties except for the NJM were banned, and no elections were held during Bishop's rule. Without a constitution in place, the PRG simply issued laws by decree. The country was governed in theory by a cabinet of ministers with Bishop as Prime Minister, but in reality power in the country was exercised by the central committee of the party.

Bishop began to build a close relationship with Cuba after he took power. He initiated a number of projects including the building of a new airport on the island‘s southern tip and the creation of a new large army for the country. Financing and labor for the construction of the airport came from Cuba, although most of the airport’s infrastructure was designed by European contractors. American President Ronald Reagan accused Grenada of intending to use the new airport’s long “airstrip” as a waypoint for Soviet military aircraft.

The People's Revolutionary Army (PRA) was also formed during Bishop's administration. Critics accused the army as being a waste of money and resources, and there were many complaints that the PRA was used as a tool to commit human rights abuses, such as torture and detention of political dissidents without trial. PRA recruits were required to take an oath of loyalty to the NJM party and the natural superiority of Marxist socialism as a basis for government.

Arrest and execution

In 1983 disputes at the top level of the party leadership occurred. A group within the party attempted to get Bishop to either step down or agree to a power-sharing agreement with Deputy Prime Minister Bernard Coard. Bishop rejected these proposals and was eventually deposed and placed under house arrest during the first week of October 1983 by Coard. Large public demonstrations demanding the restoration of Bishop afterward occurred in various parts of the island. In the course of one of these demonstrations Bishop was freed from house arrest by the crowd. In unclear circumstances, Bishop made his way to the army headquarters at Fort Rupert. After he arrived, a military force was dispatched from another location to Fort Rupert. Fighting broke out later at Fort Rupert with many civilians being killed. Bishop and seven others including cabinet ministers were captured. Later in the day they were executed by an army firing squad.

Maurice Bishop married Angela Redhead in 1966. They had two children John and Kariin. Angela Bishop emigrated to Canada with her children, John and Nadia in 1981, while Bishop was still prime minister. He also fathered a son, Vladimir, with his longtime mistress Jacqueline Creft, who was also a minister in the PRG. She was killed with Bishop at the confrontation in St. George’s. Like his parents, Vladimir was killed in violent circumstances (stabbed in a nightclub) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada while still a young man.

That was the wiki page.....

Then here is what I found......

The News-Palladium, Thursday, July 18, 1968 Benton Harbor, Michigan

Maurice Bishop president of recently organized ton Harbor branch of the Southern Christian Leadership conference confers with security officers Nathaniel Cooper and Ulysses Walker has been picketing Wallace-for-president headquarters in Benton Harbor Denim suits are called uniform Staff photo Explains Picketing Of Wallace Headquarters Officer Of Local Group The location of the headquarters on the doorstep of the Benton Harbor ghetto is a major reason for picketing according to Rolan.

Maurice Bishop the barber turned civil rights leader excels at making the news columns but appears to be striking out at passing the hat At least four St Joseph churches are not warming up in the slightest to his newest proposition. This is a demand for seed money for a low cost housing project in Benton Harbor which he raised during the weekend Monday night the held a special meeting which voted to pay no attention to the idea The Southern Baptists in like tone

Wednesday, July 23, 1969 Benton Harbor, Michigan

Then there is this URL, and the following

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Bernar...shop/id/4847712

Born in Victoria, Coard first met Bishop when they were studying together at the Grenada Boy's Secondary School. Interested in the left wing politics which he shared with Bishop from an early age, the two became friends, and in 1962, they joined together to found the Grenada Assembly of Youth After Truth. Twice per month Bishop and Coard would lead political debates in St. George's Central Market Place. He also ran several youth organisations in South London.

At the University of Sussex he studied political economy. During his time as a student at Sussex, he joined the Communist Party of Great Britain. After completing his doctorate, he moved back to the Caribbean, working as a lecturer at the Jamaican campus of the University of the West Indies. During his stay in Jamaica, he joined the Worker's Liberation League. Coard even helped draft the manifesto of the League. He also worked as a visiting lecturer at the Institute of International Relations from 1972 to 1974.

Coard published How the West Indian Child is Made Educationally Subnormal in the British School System in 1971.

In 1976 Coard returned to Grenada, soon becoming active in Grenadian politics. Soon after returning home, he joined the New Jewel Movement, his childhood friend's left wing organisation. He was to run for the seat of St. George's in the upcoming elections.

So maybe you can tell me, is the Bishop in Benton Harbor, Michigan the same Bishop who "ruled" Grenada?

Edited by Robert Howard

• 1 year later...

I've also wondered if Phillips' abandoned text will ever be released to the public (however small it was)... and I've wrestled with there being any possible logical validity to Phillips' tossed-off claim in "The AMLASH Legacy" of Oswald being a potential assassin of Castro etc...

I feel it's ultimately been proven to some degree that Oswald was a part of AMSPELL... so connecting those two projects within Oswald's trajectory is the ultimate temptation, but also the heart of the perennial mystery I suppose. When Phillips wrote that he was 'one of the two case officers who handled Lee Harvey Oswald' do you think he could have possibly meant James McCord when they were working in New Orleans together on AMSPELL?...

I just posted a massive argument with myself on this subject at: http://gnosticdevice.blogspot.com/

if anyone has any particular corrections to help me make let me know, this is just where I try to straighten out my own thoughts on the Dallas>New Orleans>Mexico>Dallas transitions.

Here's a small piece of the questions I'd thrown together on the blog:

Was Oswald being guided down or chased down into Mexico? Or most interestingly, what is the true meaning of his return to the US and was Phillips behind Oswald's intention at this moment?... Surely Oswald would not be left to roam free upon leaving Mexico in this vulnerable moment after he has either been following direction very well or running from his commitments...

Was Mexico City just another performance of Oswald's as a dangle for Phillips?...

It's a crucial moment when Oswald leaves the Soviet consulate and doesn't submit the application to leave because it means he has either given up and decided to go back to the US for some hidden reason... or he was performing and was never sincere in trying to leave. The vortex around his true intention here is virtually impossible to unfold and would likely solve his ultimate mystery if decoded. If he was truly scared of being offed by the FBI/CIA like Nechiporenko says... then perhaps, on coming home to the US, he could've had some sort of drastic and final revenge on his mind. Unfortunately it seems that most any theory is always too simple...

If you were David Phillips and had set up the entire New Orleans FPCC infiltration with Oswald and then controlled the Mexico City drama, would you then let Oswald roam freely back up to Dallas to do whatever he wanted with no instruction?

If something had gone wrong in Mexico City or if Oswald was really trying to escape from his grasp, wouldn't Phillips have considered getting rid of Oswald? The Russians say that Oswald was scared for his life ...and if he follows an AMLASH sponsored script down to Cuba it could end in his death ...if he abandons any specific script it could get him eliminated.

This is where Phillips' abandoned novel "The AMLASH Legacy" suggests that his responsibility as Oswald's handler evaporated... that Phillips handled him up to this point, trying to get him into Cuba... and then Oswald mysteriously reversed the plan and killed Kennedy instead of Castro.

But, upon leaving Mexico, Oswald was allowed to stroll back to work at a new job right above where the President's car's path would soon pass under. It seems like he was abandoned to that particular reality by design as every movement often looks before it.

How much longer would he be allowed to exist?... History would play that out in the first death on live television.

Yes but...WHICH Oswald are we talking about in Mexico City lol...?

We all move through these subplots in cycles and I was holed up in this one for a good while,, but I've moved on past it having felt there's enough solid understanding of the reasons why there didn't have to be "2 Oswalds" in Mexico... it seems like the ultimate answers were first implied by John Newman in 'Oswald and the CIA' and further helped along by Morley in 'Our Man in Mexico'... neither book spent any time talking about a multiple Oswald theory very seriously, having arrived at relatively solid logic before having to resort to anything fantastic like an Oswald double... - In the case of the famous mystery man photo, I got the impression from Morley that Winston Scott merely submitted that surveillance photo and jumped the gun, wanting to report the sighting but being out of the loop on what Phillips was doing and who Oswald was... thereby inadvertently creating a myth that people still spend a lot of time on that doesn't seem to be going much of anywhere. This is born out by what we know of his memoirs too I believe...- and John Newman seemed to show very early on that Oswald was caught in a trap in Mexico City that was mostly intended to get him on the record as having tried to get out of the country there and/or used him as a dangle once again in the Consulates... but Oswald abandoned the plan to leave... why? ...and did he know where he was going after that and what was in store exactly?... the only "2nd Oswald" that was down there, as far as I've discerned, was when he was badly imitated on the Saturday phone call (and possibly more calls during the next week) by someone trying to figure out how far he'd gotten in applying to get his visa... I wouldn't call this a "2nd Oswald" necessarily... regardless, no other writer seems to have as solid or scientific of a grasp on this situation as Newman as far as I've read... but if you see the need for another Oswald in Mexico besides this occurrence let me know because I'm always trying to straighten this timeline out in my head... 10-4

Edited by Emil Snizek

• 4 months later...

Yes but...WHICH Oswald are we talking about in Mexico City lol...?

We all move through these subplots in cycles and I was holed up in this one for a good while,, but I've moved on past it having felt there's enough solid understanding of the reasons why there didn't have to be "2 Oswalds" in Mexico... it seems like the ultimate answers were first implied by John Newman in 'Oswald and the CIA' and further helped along by Morley in 'Our Man in Mexico'... neither book spent any time talking about a multiple Oswald theory very seriously, having arrived at relatively solid logic before having to resort to anything fantastic like an Oswald double... - In the case of the famous mystery man photo, I got the impression from Morley that Winston Scott merely submitted that surveillance photo and jumped the gun, wanting to report the sighting but being out of the loop on what Phillips was doing and who Oswald was... thereby inadvertently creating a myth that people still spend a lot of time on that doesn't seem to be going much of anywhere. This is born out by what we know of his memoirs too I believe...- and John Newman seemed to show very early on that Oswald was caught in a trap in Mexico City that was mostly intended to get him on the record as having tried to get out of the country there and/or used him as a dangle once again in the Consulates... but Oswald abandoned the plan to leave... why? ...and did he know where he was going after that and what was in store exactly?... the only "2nd Oswald" that was down there, as far as I've discerned, was when he was badly imitated on the Saturday phone call (and possibly more calls during the next week) by someone trying to figure out how far he'd gotten in applying to get his visa... I wouldn't call this a "2nd Oswald" necessarily... regardless, no other writer seems to have as solid or scientific of a grasp on this situation as Newman as far as I've read... but if you see the need for another Oswald in Mexico besides this occurrence let me know because I'm always trying to straighten this timeline out in my head... 10-4