The Education Forum

What makes a successful manager/coach? The Zola Problem

John Simkin

Martin Samuel in The Times:

Do not be fooled by the league table. On Saturday night the gap between ninth and nineteenth place was three points, so West Ham United, thirteenth after defeat at home by Everton, are in a relegation battle just the same as West Bromwich Albion. Indeed, West Ham’s situation could worsen rapidly, because this is a club who have made no provision for the bad times. Gianfranco Zola was an ambitious appointment as manager, with his talk of the Champions League and eye-candy football, but he is not a man for a scrap at the wrong end of the table. And how many potential relegation seasons will Steve Clarke, his assistant, have experienced at Chelsea?

In the circumstances, the last thing the players need is an excuse to underperform, but with the speculation over the future of the club under Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson, they have one. Scott Duxbury, the chief executive, attempted to calm fears last week, but he lost the right to be taken seriously long ago; more significant was the hasty resignation of Mike Lee as a non-executive director, ostensibly to streamline decision-making, but quite possibly to end any risk of responsibility or personal liability, with Gudmundsson’s finances faltering. Lee is responsible for West Ham’s media machine, so when Pollyanna can no longer put on a brave face, there really could be trouble ahead.

It is not unthinkable that West Ham and Sheffield United will pass each other, one up and one down, at the end of this season, with the relegated club also lighter by tens of millions as a result of the muddled judgment by Lord Griffiths. It would be a bitter irony; although one for which a chain of poor decision-makers at Upton Park are entirely responsible.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gary Loughran

A sound article.

Hopefully there will be actions to accompany Zola's words. However, I don't trust him to make the right changes.

Which players do you think are Captaincy material at the club. I am beginning to think onfield leadership is a huge concern. A good question might me since Billy Bonds, who was the last good captain at the club? Any response mentioning Christian Dailly will be automatically binned and your knowledge queried :)

Furthermore, in your experience, is there something institutionally weak about West Ham as a club. There really has never been a questioning, strong manager or player at the club in all the time I have supported them. Redknapp took £300k from the club in return for not demanding all the Ferdinand to Leeds money. He then used his son as an agent to bring in Camara and Song from Liverpool and Dailly. When this all went awry he made demands for the rest of the Ferdinand money through the press. This sealed his departure from the club, with Lampard Sr.'s forced exit being used as an excuse by everyone, Lampard Jr, Redknapp and the board.

There has never been a chairman willing to go into debt (however small) to sustain the club. In fact the times this has happened, the next opportunity has resulted in major sales. I suspect that this stems from the ownerships need for West Ham to be profit making; a historical requirement from reading your articles and Lyall's book.

If Zola agrees to winter sales (which he has already said will happen: albeit caveated with the sales are to come from mainly squad players (if he can be believed)) and doesn't replace them with better players, we are done for. I'm not expecting us to be Man U, but I expect some form of strength.

JUST READ THE SAMUEL'S ARTICLE -

Now here speaks a man who I have a lot of journalistic respect for. He speaks very wisely. For a very long time I have mentioned the Iceland bank situation, well before it became newsworthy in terms of West Ham. I hadn't appreciated Mike Lee's position - I now, unfortunately do, and can appreciate the significance. Duxbury is a xxxx and a thief, provably so. He is also incompetent, but that was probably what he was told to, ostensibly, seem.

I think Samuel was being nice when he describes Zola's appointment as ambitious. On the Sunday supplement he was using much less supportive terms, whilst stating that he liked Zola the player.

My prescription - We shold be sold asap. Unless the Icelandic plan is to asset strip us to the Championship and bail out, bankrupt. He, as major shareholder, through his bank, called in the XL loan which hastened the demise of our sponsor. Though, probably, the correct move if you wanted to capitalise any assets at the firm, instead of dealing with notional money. Not a great plan for West Ham who have lost real money on the move.

Edited by Gary Loughran

Which players do you think are Captaincy material at the club. I am beginning to think onfield leadership is a huge concern. A good question might me since Billy Bonds, who was the last good captain at the club? Any response mentioning Christian Dailly will be automatically binned and your knowledge queried :)

I agree it is a problem. Neill's own performances make him an ineffective captain. I would go for Parker.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought West Ham produced a reasonable performance against Liverpool last night. I was amazed that Zola continues to play Faubert instead of Collinson. Not only is Faubert not up to the job, it means that Behrami has to play in his wrong position to accommodate him. His passing his appalling. He has this tendency to pass without looking. This is bad enough when he is going forward but on several occasions he passed the ball backwards without looking. He is constantly out of position and gave Neill no help last night. Luckily, Liverpool failed to take advantage of Neill and he was not exposed as he should have been.

Collins and Upson are developing a useful partnership and Parker, Mullins and Behrami provided them with plenty of cover. It seems that Clarke has now got them well-organized and three clean-sheets on the trot is reassuring.

Although West Ham did not attack a great deal, when they did, they looked fairly dangerous and twice Cole was through when he was wrongly ruled to be offside. It is a shame that the best chance fell to Boa Morte. I did not even get excited as I knew he would put it wide.

Guest Gary Loughran
I thought West Ham produced a reasonable performance against Liverpool last night. I was amazed that Zola continues to play Faubert instead of Collinson. Not only is Faubert not up to the job, it means that Behrami has to play in his wrong position to accommodate him. His passing his appalling. He has this tendency to pass without looking. This is bad enough when he is going forward but on several occasions he passed the ball backwards without looking. He is constantly out of position and gave Neill no help last night. Luckily, Liverpool failed to take advantage of Neill and he was not exposed as he should have been.

Collins and Upson are developing a useful partnership and Parker, Mullins and Behrami provided them with plenty of cover. It seems that Clarke has now got them well-organized and three clean-sheets on the trot is reassuring.

Although West Ham did not attack a great deal, when they did, they looked fairly dangerous and twice Cole was through when he was wrongly ruled to be offside. It is a shame that the best chance fell to Boa Morte. I did not even get excited as I knew he would put it wide.

Yes, a reasonable performance is apt description. Absolutely agree with everything above. A good point at Anfield though. I think John Kennedy was president the last time we won there!!!

On Ilunga -

One of my friends (all Liverpool fans, including my wife) commented that Ilunga was having a nightmare - I corrected him quickly and explained that it was actually an improving performance.

On Faubert -

None of my friends (and Mal Donaghy (I can't help this name dropping)) could believe that Faubert was that bad - unfairly I had highlighted him before the game as a poor player - he was amusing for them to watch.

On Boa Morte -

Boa Morte another player I had highlighted before the game as potential entertainment for the home fans - and he never let me down with the hideously skewed shot. It would have been less embarrassing if he had a Gerardesque air shot. No-one could believe it wasn't a corner - every single Liverpool fan with me was convinced it was deflected out - I swear.

On the good/solid players -

I am, however, delighted that we are not conceding. Green, Upson, Collins, Parker, Mullins and Bellamy are all deserving of credit for their hard working displays in the recent run of three clean sheets. It is, for me, vitally important to build a decent defence and incorporate attacking flair secondarily. Perhaps a fit Ashton (if such a thing exists) would be able to hold up and link play.

On goal scoring -

As things stand currently it is difficult to see where the goals are going to come from. None of the midfield can be described as a goal scorer. None of our defence scores with any regularity from set-plays. I can't recall Bellamy's last goal off-hand and whilst Cole has provided the odd spark of goal scoring ability, it would frighten me to ever rely on him. If we do concede, I don't know how we get back into games, there is no creative or goal scoring threat currently fit at the club.

On the the rest of the season -

Still the steady improvement in defending, no doubt with origins in Clarke, gives me reason to hope we can avoid relegation.

More imminently will we avoid the January Sales.

As things stand currently it is difficult to see where the goals are going to come from. None of the midfield can be described as a goal scorer. None of our defence scores with any regularity from set-plays. I can't recall Bellamy's last goal off-hand and whilst Cole has provided the odd spark of goal scoring ability, it would frighten me to ever rely on him. If we do concede, I don't know how we get back into games, there is no creative or goal scoring threat currently fit at the club.

On the the rest of the season -

Still the steady improvement in defending, no doubt with origins in Clarke, gives me reason to hope we can avoid relegation.

More imminently will we avoid the January Sales.

Cole has not recaptured the form he was showing before being suspended but he does not deserve the criticism he has been receiving on the forums. However, he does need to improve, and I would be tempted to play Freddie Sears against Spurs. The problem is that Zola seems to be the kind of manager who does not change his team if they are getting draws. (I thought his use of substitutes against Liverpool very strange).

I was rather concerned by the post-match interview with Upson. Reading between the lines he seemed to be saying he was going in January.

In today's Daily Express Gianfranco Zola is reported to have said he was "dismayed by the physical condition of the West Ham players" when he took over in September. Zola claims that his different training regime is finally improving the situation. "The players are working well, the physios are doimg a good job and when you are fit and well-trained it is more difficult to get injured."

Zola went on to praise Steve Clarke: "He is such an important person for me and he is the best signing I will make. He is someone who I can rely on in the difficult moments. A lot of what is going on here is down to him. He is doing a fantastic job."

A much better performance against Chelsea. At last he has discvered that Faubert needed to be replaced by Jack Collison. Mark Noble also fully deserved his recall. Parker had a great game and I thought the diamond shape worked well. Except for nearly giving away a penalty I thought Neill had one of his best games for the club. In fact, Neill has done fairly well over the last few games and now only rarely goes upfield. This is good because he is s slow getting back. However, we need a couple of full-backs like Chelsea who give you attacking options. I would also like to see Freddie Sears replacing Cole for the last 25 minutes in games.

According to some of the Sunday papers Zola will resign if the board sell his best players. In an interview on Sky before yesterday's game he was adament that his stars will not be leaving.

Zola told the 'News of the World', "I have been told the club won't change but we will see. If they tell me they need to change their strategy I would have to think about my future because the scenario would have changed. When I agreed to come here as manager it was because of the project of developing the players we have got, bringing on the younger ones and keeping them to reach a point when we could compete with the big clubs. That was the project, but a lot of things have happened on and off the pitch. We need time but the club must speak to me if they need to change their strategy."

Guest Gary Loughran

Without a doubt, an improved performance. Collison was immense - much better than Behrami, whom Nani rates so highly. I cannot tell you how impressed I was - mainly as I had little expectation. However the energy supplied by Noble and Collison was infectious. I have noted Neils steady improvements and agree that since he has curtailed his forward adventures he has improved.

Ilunga and Cole still look poor. Cole is awful and yet I imagine he won't have many better games than yesterday. He had two relatively easy chances to score - didn't make contact on the first from 6 yards and back passed the ball to Cech with what should have been the game clincher.

We still look poor in terms of creating chances and I'm not sure this will necessarily improve against 'lesser' opposition.

A valuable point.

I was heartened to hear Zola say he'll walk if first team players are sold. If the owner calls Zola's bluff on this - Zola walks, we lose our best players, we get relegated, no-one buys the club - we could be doomed. In the short term (until new ownership) it might be best for the status quo to remain - comments??

Should Zola have celebrated West Ham's goal on Sunday?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...amp;attr=796995

I think he was in shock.

Good one. It shows that he does not understand West Ham fans (he has now made a statement on the club website that suggests he is now aware that he should not have made the post-match comments).

I am sure your manager would also be in shock if Keane scored at the moment.

I am sure your manager would also be in shock if Keane scored at the moment.

You can't score from the subs bench B)

I wouldn't have a problem however with someone like Keane not celebrating if he scored against Tottenham - doesn't it just show a little respect for the former club?

Incidentally I think you should stick with your manager.

I wouldn't have a problem however with someone like Keane not celebrating if he scored against Tottenham - doesn't it just show a little respect for the former club?

Nor would I. But it is different for a manager. The real problem was that after the game he praised the Chelsea fans but did not mention the West Ham travelling fans. This is especially a problem as some fans think he is using this job to get one at Chelsea.

I also think they should stick with Zola (especially while he retains Clarke to do the real job). However, was he appointed because he agreed to balance the books by selling our best players? If so, all the fans, including me, will be calling for his head if he does this in January.