The Education Forum

What makes a successful manager/coach? The Zola Problem

John Simkin

The team certainly put in a better performance all around against Stoke yesterday. I admit it would have been difficult to play as badly again but personally I felt the crowd appreciated the players were giving 100%.

My heart sank when I heard that Franco wasn't available for selection. He'd transformed the team on Tuesday night. Instead we had Mido supporting Cole upfront. To be fair, Mido gave it his all but, when a chance eventually fell to him following up Cole's rebound, he failed to control an awkward boucing ball and the moment was lost.

In the second half Stoke really got to grips with what little attacking options we had (West Ham rarely threatened) then took all 3 points with an impressive solo effort from Fuller.

The downfall of rain was perfectly timed and matched the mood of supporters. As we all trudged home I found myself wondering just what was David Pleat doing sat in the directors box ?

Looking at the remaining fixtures I have resigned myself to relegation now (if I'm honest I alrfeady had before kick off). I don't expect the team to get anything from the 3 away games (possibly a draw at Fulham ?) and fully expect Hull to reach 36 points.

So maximum points from the 3 home games it is then...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The downfall of rain was perfectly timed and matched the mood of supporters. As we all trudged home I found myself wondering just what was David Pleat doing sat in the directors box ?

He would make a good choice as a temporary manager. I am always impressed with his tactical summaries in the Guardian on Monday.

I have just had this email from Zola (it has been sent to anyone who has purchased West Ham tickets recently):

Dear John,

I am determined to carry on. Losing on Saturday was emotional for everyone but I know we can turn it around and that we have the ability to achieve our objectives.

It has been a tough week but the owners have backed me and I am very grateful for that. With the backing of the joint-chairmen both myself and the squad are determined to fight for every point possible. My only thought for now is to keep this club in the Premier League and I will give everything I can to make this happen between now and the end of the season.

I have had time to think and reflect, and will have to work harder than ever before. I know we can get the results we need and I will work hard to make it happen. The performance was better against Stoke but it is not the level we should be at. We can, and we will, do better.

The good thing was that at least the team performed better as a team. We just couldn't get the final touch. The end product was not as good as I expect it to be and that was the difference, really.

We had better team shape and tried really hard. [stoke scorer Ricardo] Fuller made a difference when he came on with a piece of quality. Sometimes in games, especially in a tight situation like this one, one bit of quality can make the difference and that was definitely the case.

To lose Guille Franco before the game and Kieron Dyer at half-time is typical of our season. But I will not make excuses.

Six defeats with a difficult game coming on Sunday is not great, but the players are committed and we're going to be working on making that commitment more effective.

I have a great staff and we are working together to find the solutions. We have a responsibility to turn things around and that is what we will do. I am here and I am ready to do what I need to do to get the results. We have seen before that we are capable of playing at a high level.

We will go to Everton on Sunday determined to get a result. People might not expect us to get something from the match but we are positive. No one should write us off. Although we are in a serious position we have time to sort things out and be in control of our destiny at the end of the season.

We said before Stoke that one game would not define the season but we also know that each of the games we have left will be cup finals. They will be massive and I know you will once again get behind us starting with Everton and we will give everything to reward your support. You have been brilliant and we owe you.

Thanks for your support

Gianfranco Zola

Once again I could not understand Zola’s set-up today. To play two up-front away from home against a team that plays one up-front was madness. I can’t think of one manager in the premier league who would have done that. It is true that Mido played more in midfield than upfront, but what was the point of that?

Noble is the West Ham penalty-taker when Diamante is not in the team. He went to take-it when Mido took the ball away from him and then took a terrible penalty. If Zola had arranged for Noble to take the penalty, then he should have taken Mido off straight away. He needs to exert his authority over the team. For some reason it seems that Mido has some sort of hold over Zola. Why is he in front of Illan and McCarthy?

West Ham only got a draw because Everton played so badly. Parker was immense and Noble and Kovacs put in a good shift. Spector was at fault for both goals but Faubert continued to show improvement. The cross for the equalizer was sublime.

Guest Gary Loughran
Once again I could not understand Zola’s set-up today. To play two up-front away from home against a team that plays one up-front was madness. I can’t think of one manager in the premier league who would have done that. It is true that Mido played more in midfield than upfront, but what was the point of that?

Noble is the West Ham penalty-taker when Diamante is not in the team. He went to take-it when Mido took the ball away from him and then took a terrible penalty. If Zola had arranged for Noble to take the penalty, then he should have taken Mido off straight away. He needs to exert his authority over the team. For some reason it seems that Mido has some sort of hold over Zola. Why is he in front of Illan and McCarthy?

West Ham only got a draw because Everton played so badly. Parker was immense and Noble and Kovacs put in a good shift. Spector was at fault for both goals but Faubert continued to show improvement. The cross for the equalizer was sublime.

We were much improved (not a difficult achivement) against Everton, for sure. I'm not sure Everton played that badly! I like to think, in this game, we had an impact on their performance. Perhaps our unique, incoherent approach to the game confused them?!

Scott Parker was outstanding. A great performance which pulled the whole team up by the bootstraps.

As with Diamante and Noble, Mido is not a good penalty taker. All these players are confidence players and none are good enough nor believe they are good enough to take crucial penalties. Noble's record is not good at penalties, as far as I can recall. Diamante, does not have the testicular fortitude to play in the premiership. A more fearful player would be difficult to find in the Premier League. Again, like Mido, like Noble, who really believed he would score when he puts the ball on the spot? Certainly the days of Tonka and Dicks are well gone.

I wouldn't and I won't dwell too long on tactics, why? Zola does not employ tactics, never has - no point questioning this now. Why would you expect tactics from the man whose complete coaching history consists of helping his firend out by putting out the cones for the Under 21's in Italy???. Unless Parker is bombing forward from a defensive midfield position there is no other way to bridge the huge gap between the midfield and the forwards. Watching us 'on the break' is like watching an under 10 side on a full size pitch, so slow and painful are we. Even when we go route 1 the forwards have no idea about the other player, chemistry to these guys is the class they likely avoided at school. Perhaps the rotating striker policy isn't helping, or is it the fat, lazy, unfit striker policy or is it the striker who can't score goals policy...who knows?

We have no width, seriously we haven't bought a winger since Etherington, have we? The young guys that have come through the ranks are usually played up front where they can't hurt their own team as much. I suspect this is why John want's Diamante up front. Kovacs is not good, he tries hard. Behrami is a workhorse, non-stop, every team needs players like this. However he isn't that good is he?

My friends say we have a decent defence and proceed to name Upson and Green; they are partially correct in that these 2 players are a huge reason we have as many points as we do. I simply mention, in response, that we have Spector, Tomkins (is there a more confident player who looks so abjectly uncomfortable on the ball) and Faubert in support. Spector headed the ball in the air for Everton's first and pathetically stood and watched the Everton striker move the 1-2 yards necessary to head the resultant cross into the net. This would be embarassing for an amateur player to watch again never mind a professional (sic). Does anyone remember feeling sick when Ilunga limped off against Spurs about 17 minutes after realising he was going to get roasted by Lennon all day?

Nowadays even average teams with average players and worse managers pick on Spector. Undoubtedly the main reason Diamante doesn't play as often is that he offers nothing in support of the full back, or is it that he always gives the ball away by playing across the middle, or is the 60 yard cross field balls that never come off? He can strike the ball well however, no doubt about this, the frequency of this good strike though is what differentiates a high handicapper from a pro in golf - I wish the same system applied in football so Diamante would remain in Serie F, where he belongs.

Despite all this bilious negativity I am a Hammer, and I want more than anything for us to survive. If we don't I see no quick return this time around. If someone could guarantee a quick return I would take the relegation though, as I believe the squad and the fans need to learn to win again, to believe again, to enjoy football again - the pretty constant battles against relegation do not serve the body and mind well.

As with Diamante and Noble, Mido is not a good penalty taker. All these players are confidence players and none are good enough nor believe they are good enough to take crucial penalties. Noble's record is not good at penalties, as far as I can recall. Diamante, does not have the testicular fortitude to play in the premiership. A more fearful player would be difficult to find in the Premier League. Again, like Mido, like Noble, who really believed he would score when he puts the ball on the spot? Certainly the days of Tonka and Dicks are well gone.

Noble did have a good record for taking penalties for West Ham and England Under 21s. However, he did miss the last penalty that he took for West Ham and lost the job to Diamante. However, he also missed the last one. Mido should never have been allowed to take the penalty. He has a poor record and only grabbed the ball because he was trying to break his duck. His penalty attempt was pathetic.

I wouldn't and I won't dwell too long on tactics, why? Zola does not employ tactics, never has - no point questioning this now. Why would you expect tactics from the man whose complete coaching history consists of helping his firend out by putting out the cones for the Under 21's in Italy???.

You are probably right to suggest that Zola does not employ tactics. I have never heard any manager as bad as Zola at explaining a game. I know he is speaking a foreign language but he has lived in England for a long-time and compare his comments to the Manchester City boss who has only been learning the language for six months. I get the impression that Zola is not too bright.

However, I thought Clarke had been brought in to deal with tactics. He is looking very strange on the touch-line. He seems to be in a daze. Maybe the rumours that he is an alcoholic are true.

My friends say we have a decent defence and proceed to name Upson and Green; they are partially correct in that these 2 players are a huge reason we have as many points as we do. I simply mention, in response, that we have Spector, Tomkins (is there a more confident player who looks so abjectly uncomfortable on the ball) and Faubert in support. Spector headed the ball in the air for Everton's first and pathetically stood and watched the Everton striker move the 1-2 yards necessary to head the resultant cross into the net. This would be embarassing for an amateur player to watch again never mind a professional (sic). Does anyone remember feeling sick when Ilunga limped off against Spurs about 17 minutes after realising he was going to get roasted by Lennon all day? Nowadays even average teams with average players and worse managers pick on Spector.

I am not sure Upson is that good. He has made a lot of mistakes recently. He was as much to blame for the first goal as Spector and Da Costa. Spector does make a lot of mistakes and that is why he should be dropped in favour of Depalla.

Undoubtedly the main reason Diamante doesn't play as often is that he offers nothing in support of the full back, or is it that he always gives the ball away by playing across the middle, or is the 60 yard cross field balls that never come off? He can strike the ball well however, no doubt about this, the frequency of this good strike though is what differentiates a high handicapper from a pro in golf - I wish the same system applied in football so Diamante would remain in Serie F, where he belongs.

Diamante is indeed a liability playing wide as he does not get back to cover his full-back. You have to do this if you are playing with a front-three. However, he can make great forward passes and would be tempted to play him in behind Cole. I would play Illan wide because he is willing to come back to cover his full-backs. He is also good coming forward late which always causes defences problems. Considering the small time he has had on the pitch, his two goals are not a bad return. I would also play Noble in the centre of midfield. He is a much, much better player in that position.

Guest Gary Loughran
I suspect if West Ham lose on Saturday against Sunderland, Zola and Clarke will be put on gardening leave and Terry Venables or George Graham will be brought in for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure West Ham can afford 'gardening leave'. Speculation was/is that Zola knows he is a dead man walking but it eager to get the compensation from being sacked - he will not walk, much like Roeder. As he is so well paid even he is bound to realise it is unlikely, in the short term, that any club would risk their future in his hands. He might though attempt to raise his managerial profile by keeping West Ham in the Premiership and therefore be in a position to walk away knowing his stock is raised - especially in Italy.

Clarke, an alcoholic, really? I have never heard or even heard the suggestion of this!. You seem to get a lot of this type of information - do you have a source at the AA's world office? :ph34r:

I seem to recall Noble missing 2-3 penalties in a farily close time period, but this is all memory. However, Mido should never, ever have hit the penalty, and my immediate reaction was that he should not appear for the second half, mostly because he assumed the responsibility and partly because he is a shockingly unfit player.

Upson is excellent; OK not fast, but look what he is playing alongside...he is definitely in our top 3 players.

I suspect if West Ham lose on Saturday against Sunderland, Zola and Clarke will be put on gardening leave and Terry Venables or George Graham will be brought in for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure West Ham can afford 'gardening leave'. Speculation was/is that Zola knows he is a dead man walking but it eager to get the compensation from being sacked - he will not walk, much like Roeder. As he is so well paid even he is bound to realise it is unlikely, in the short term, that any club would risk their future in his hands. He might though attempt to raise his managerial profile by keeping West Ham in the Premiership and therefore be in a position to walk away knowing his stock is raised - especially in Italy.

You are right to suggest that West Ham cannot afford to sack Zola. At the same time they cannot afford to be relegated and I am sure it would be worth £2m to pay Graham/Venables to keep them up. Zola would be so humiliated he would probably resign in such circumstances.

Well, the 1-0 victory against Sunderland means that Zola is safe until the end of the season. West Ham's better goal average means that we are 5 points clear of Hull and Burnley. I am not sure they are capable of getting another point and so we should be safe.

We were not great on Saturday but were just about good enough to beat Sunderland. The introduction of Illan has obviously made a difference. There are signs that Cole has the type of fellow striker that he needs. However, I am not sure that the Illan interview that he gave to the News of the World was very wise.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/foot...-BOSS-ZOLA.html

By Aidan Magee, 10/04/2010

GIANFRANCO ZOLA has been accused of losing control of his West Ham players and been told he is too nice to regain his authority.

Brazilian striker Ilan earned the struggling Hammers a precious point last week with a stunning diving header late on against Everton and scored the winner against Sunderland - but has now revealed he will quit the club at the end of the season.

He said: "I don't want to say bad things about Zola because he is a good person, but you know sometimes a good person working in football doesn't work. If you give your players a lot of freedom, they will not obey you anymore.

"That is what is happening now at West Ham, especially with players who speak Italian.

"Zola has lost control of the team and it is impossible for him to recover it."

Ilan, has scored twice for his new club despite starting just one game since his arrival from Saint Etienne in January.

"Zola never uses me in my position as a centre forward," he added. "He puts me out on the flanks or even as a second forward.

"He and the other coaches in the Premier League have an obsession with putting the players in positions different to the one they are used to.

"Whatever happens, I'm going to leave England. I have received offers from France and Spain and even from three clubs from Brazil.

"If I get a good offer, like from a Brazilian team that wants to win the Copa Libertadores, then of course money will not be the only factor that matters.

"I am 29 years old and still think that I can achieve a lot in football.

I don't think many people predicted the turnaround that occured in West Ham's season starting with the second half up at Goodison Park. A cheap goal behind, Mido fluffing a penalty (who honestly thought he was going to score - not me) we looked odds on for a 7th defeat in a row.

The second half was a completely different story and, but for another moment of Spector inspired defensive sloppiness ( we shouldn't have been surprised, Yakabu always scores against West Ham), we would have deserved to have won the game.

As it was we went 2-1 down with time running out. Cue Faubert to supply easily the best cross he's put over in the 2 years he's been here for Ilan to score a spectacular diving header.

On such moments entire seasons turn around. A huge injection of confidence visibly returned to the team which contributed towards a vital home win against Sunderland. I've only seen the highlights of that but I was particularly impressed with Mark Noble who stepped authoratively into Parker's boots.

So, where does that leave us now ? 4 points clear with a handful of games left. I'm sure fans all over the country are trying predict the results of remaining games. Because of our superior goal difference (which is worth a point) I'm revising my opinion now to 35 points being the 'breath easy' mark. A win and a draw will require Burnley and Hull to win at least 3 times by the end of the season.

I'm warily predicting a hollow celebration before the final game of a dismal season. I do hope so. Man City are looking very good...

As for the future of Zola & Clarke. If they do leave Avram Grant would have to be in the frame.

Words fail me...

They performed as if they had nothing to play for. Where was the fight? Where was the organization? I was embarrassed to be a West Ham fan. What is more, Liverpool did not play that well and could have been beaten. However, we were not willing to have a go. It was if they accepted they were going to be beaten. Upson was so poor I would not be surprised if he does not go to the World Cup. Whoever takes over has to completely rebuild this team. It is clear that Sullivan and Gold made a terrible mistake by not sacking Zola and Clarke when they first took over the club. Although there is only three games to go I would be very tempted to put them on gardening leave and bring in George Graham for the rest of the season. Then hopefully, they will resign and we do not have to pay up their ridiculous contracts.

On the KUMB forum someone has published these stats about the team:

* West Ham have managed just 7 wins from 35 matches this season and are on course for a record low. The club record for least wins in a season is 9 in old Division One in 1987-1988 and 1991-1992.

* In the Premier League era, West Ham have never completed a PL season with less than 10 wins in a season (2002-03, 2000-01 and 1996-97).

* West Ham have failed to win their last 17 Prem League away matches, since the 2-0 victory at Wolves on the opening day of the season. This is our longest ever PL away run without a victory

* 17 away games without a win is also our longest winless streak in the top flight in 34 years since a 21-match run from August 1975 to August 1976 - a season in which we beat Man Utd, briefly topped the table and reached the Cup Winners Cup final.

* The recent 2-2 draw at Everton ended a run of six straight defeats, our worst run in the top division for 43 years.

West Ham (inspired by the return of Parker) finally found their shooting boots against Wigan and also found themselves in a virtually unassailable position by 5 to 5 on Saturday.That was something not many were predicting after the back to back home defeats aginst Wolves and Stoke...but welcome nonetheless.

Safety (barring a mathematical miracle) was assured when Burnley eventually crumbled against Liverpool on Sunday afternoon and, yet again, I'm sure I can't be the only relieved West Ham fan thinking we must never allow ourselves to get into this position again... again.

David Gold has been the most public spokesman since then and he looks understandably happy that their immediate target of the club avoiding relegation has been achieved. He went on to infer that while they are not about to fire the management team, Zola may feel now might be a good time to take a sabbatical.

I'm not sure how I feel about all that. Today, with Premier League survival in the bag it seems a tad harsh to dispense with Zola who has ploughed on through extraordinarily difficult circumstances under the previous owners.. and current. However, the low point against Wolves, and an insipid return to bad habits against Liverpool have put a big question mark in my mind.

There are other concerns. The overall fitness of the squad has left a lot to be desired, senior players may still leave for pastures new, the Stadium location has to be resolved and... can we please have a decent shirt !

I'll let somebody else discuss tactics... it's Monday night and I'm still too emotionally exhausted.

Oh well, they say the first 46 years are the hardest... and it won't ever be allowed to happen again... will it ?

Of course it will.

;-)

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Now he has been sacked I thought it might be worth posting the revised win stats.

Billy Bonds (43.61) 1990–1994

Charlie Paynter (41.25) 1932–1950

Alan Pardew (41.10) 2003–2006

Ted Fenton (39.75) 1950–1961

Alan Curbishley (39.44) 2006–2008

John Lyall (39.12) 1974–1989

Syd King (38.87) 1901–1932

Harry Redknapp (37.00) 1994–2001

Lou Macari (36.84) 1989–1990

Ron Greenwood (35.07) 1961–1974

Glenn Roeder (31.40) 2001–2003

Gianfranco Zola (28.75) 2008–2010