The Education Forum

Shropshire Routes to Roots

Helen Gibbons

Shropshire Routes to Roots is a web and digitisation project funded by Advantage West Midlands and Shropshire County Council. The aim of the project is to digitise aspects of the local history collections held at Shropshire Archives and Oswestry Library and present them in a way that is useful to teachers. Themes covered so far are World Wars One and Two and Victorian Crime and Detection, a further package looking at the impact of Industrialisation is due in a week or so, with another three packages coming on-line in the next month or so. Do visit Shropshire Routes to Roots to see what we've done so far. All comments and feedback are welcomed!

Shropshire Routes to Roots is a web and digitisation project funded by Advantage West Midlands and Shropshire County Council. The aim of the project is to digitise aspects of the local history collections held at Shropshire Archives and Oswestry Library and present them in a way that is useful to teachers. Themes covered so far are World Wars One and Two and Victorian Crime and Detection, a further package looking at the impact of Industrialisation is due in a week or so, with another three packages coming on-line in the next month or so. Do visit Shropshire Routes to Roots to see what we've done so far. All comments and feedback are welcomed!

This is an extremely useful and exciting project. Good lay out, very easy to navigate, appealing to view and educationally sound.

My only suggestions are to make the pupils experience of the site and its contents richer is for a greater level of interactivity to be introduced. Exercises which are curently presented like an online textbook could be easily and effectively made interactive and self marking using free Hot Potatoes software. Likewise the "decision making" activities could be extended into mazes using Quandary software (not free but very cheap).

Good luck with the rest of the project :)

Download Hot Potatoes HERE

Download Quandary HERE

This has the potential to be a great website. So far local record offices have been slow to react to the Internet. It is hoped they will eventually follow the example of the Public Record Office’s Learning Curve website.

Understandably you have chosen some popular school subjects (Victorian Crime, the Workhouse, Second World War, etc.). However, I would like to see you tackling some other more problematic areas. For example, the first thing I did when I created a website for my students was to produce a study of the women’s movement in East Grinstead at the beginning of the 20th century. Local newspapers had some fascinating information about the activities of the different suffrage groups. There was also some great letters on the subject in the local paper. I am sure local newspapers in Shropshire also reported these events.

I know that I was surprised to discover that East Grinstead was the scene of riots over this issue and several local women were imprisoned for their beliefs, including Kitty Marion, who held the record for the largest numbers of hunger strikes in Britain. The students found it very interesting that we have a road named after the leader of the Anti-Suffrage Union in East Grinstead but no recognition for those men and women who campaigned for universal suffrage.