The Education Forum

Why did Ruby visit Dallas Polce Station?

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

I heard a recent BBC broadcast here on the 40th anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination in which it was said that the only reason Jack Ruby visited the Police Station as Lee Harvey Oswald was being transfered was because He (Ruby) wanted to give some sandwiches to a policeman.

Ruby was a friend of this particular policeman and he (Ruby) had enquired over the phone whether the policeman was getting enough to eat. Ruby said he would bring down some sandwiches.

Was Ruby's presence a coincidence?

Does anyone have any further details on this story?

Hi Eugene,

Either you, or the BBC, have confused the timeline. Only other explanation is that the BBC has found startling new evidence.

Ruby phoned the DPD late Friday night and offered to bring sandwiches. They said, "no thanks", so he decided to get some anyway, and take them down to the reporters.

His explanation for being at the transfer hinged on being close by at the post office to send $25.00 to one of his strippers. Whilst there, he noticed the action over at DPD basement, and went over to check it out... just in the nick of time for his TV debut.

Though Ruby did send the $25.00, the story as to why it was needed does not stand up to scrutiny. It has all the hallmarks of a pre-arranged action designed only to give Ruby an excuse for being in the vacinity.

Guest Eugene B. Connolly

Hi Greg,

Here is a web address for BBC Radio 4. The programme was broadcast on Radio 4 around November time 2003. You may be able to listen to the broadcast again or make enquiries on how to obtain details or maybe a copy of the programme.

The programme dealt specifically with events regarding the deaths of President Kennedy and Lee Harvey Oswald.The 'sandwich' reference is also mentioned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/kennedy.shtml

Regards,

EBC

Edited by Eugene B. Connolly

This reminded me of something I ran across awhile back regarding Karen Carlin, the stripper to whom Ruby sent the $25.

I can't even remember where I saw this, but someone claimed that she surfaced in the early '90s for an interview, approximately 30 years after she supposedly died. I was somewhat intrigued, naturally, but couldn't find any verification of it.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Steve

This reminded me of something I ran across awhile back regarding Karen Carlin, the stripper to whom Ruby sent the $25.

I can't even remember where I saw this, but someone claimed that she surfaced in the early '90s for an interview, approximately 30 years after she supposedly died. I was somewhat intrigued, naturally, but couldn't find any verification of it.

Steve

Steve,

KC is alleged to have contacted Gary Shaw in Oct '92 and told him she had been living under an assumed name for her own safety due to knowing of a conspiracy to kill Oswald. Her role in this had come about when Ruby instructed her to phone him Sunday morning, and that after the phone call, he would send her $25.00. She knew the purpose was to establish "coincidence" of him being near the transfer.

I say alleged because I have no idea if the story is true, or if it is true, whether or not the person was who she claimed to be.

That said... the evidence strongly supports the notion that the request for the money was a ploy.

Steve

Steve,

KC is alleged to have contacted Gary Shaw in Oct '92 and told him she had been living under an assumed name for her own safety due to knowing of a conspiracy to kill Oswald. Her role in this had come about when Ruby instructed her to phone him Sunday morning, and that after the phone call, he would send her $25.00. She knew the purpose was to establish "coincidence" of him being near the transfer.

I say alleged because I have no idea if the story is true, or if it is true, whether or not the person was who she claimed to be.

That said... the evidence strongly supports the notion that the request for the money was a ploy.

Thanks Greg.

I was beginning to wonder if I'd just stumbled across that story on some really bizarre web site. :rolleyes: It seems like someone would've dug into this further, if in fact one of the better-known suspicious deaths would have turned up alive and well.

I agree, however, that the request for money sounds very phony. As I remember, her husband's statements contradicted her own account of the reason for the request.

Steve