The Education Forum

Seven Days in May and General Walker

Guest Robert Morrow

Last night I watched "Seven Days in May". The film stands up very well. I was especially impressed with the acting and the script by Rod Serling.

The film is based on the novel by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II and published in 1962. The author, Knebel, got the idea for the book after interviewing the Air Force Chief of Staff Curtis LeMay. At the time LeMay had spoken to some of his staff about removing the President from power.

In the film the leader of the plot, head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), Air Force General James Mattoon Scott, is compared to General Edwin A. Walker.

It is believed that Knebel got the idea for the book after a conversation with President Kennedy. It was Knebel's first novel. According to John Frankenheimer, the director, Pierre Salinger conveyed to him that JFK wanted the film be made, "these were the days of General Walker" and, though the Pentagon did not want the film made, the President would conveniently arrange to visit Hyannis Port for a weekend when the film needed to shoot outside the White House.

The main figure behind the film was not John Frankenheimer but Kirk Douglas and his film company, Joel Productions. It was Douglas who broke the blacklist with producing Spartacus in 1960. Joe McCarthy along with General Walker gets a mention in the film.

In the book, the secret United States Army combat unit created and controlled by Scott's conspiracy is based in Texas near Fort Bliss. However, in the film the venue is changed to San Diego. I wonder why?

Rod Serling is an interesting choice to write the script. He had very left-wing views and was very frustrated by the amount of political censorship he suffered. In 1959, he began producing The Twilight Zone. He stated in an interview that the science fiction format would not be controversial and would escape censorship unlike his earlier work on television. In reality the show gave him the opportunity to communicate social messages in a more veiled context.

Serling died of a heart-attack at the age of 50.

A few years ago, I think in spring 2009, I interviewed Bobby Ray Inman, known as "Mr. Intelligence" and someone who has run the ONI, the DIA, as well as being deputy director of the CIA. Inman, who lives in Austin as I do - in fact he lives down the street from me - volunteered and told me that if a coup even comes to America that it will be just like the movie Seven Days in May.

Then I told Inman that Kennedy had the movie made and even filmed at the White House in order to send a message to his Joint Chiefs of Staff. Inman looked stunned when I told him that. Just stunned.

Inman also told me that he would go to his grave believing that Fidel Casto had killed JFK. Google George Joannides and you will see a picture of Adm. Bobby Ray Inman.

I don't think Inman was lying to me in the interview. I think some folks in a bureaucracy or organization become immune to learning the truth because it is politically and socially unacceptable. Inman also told me that he never met James Angleton. Inman also told me there was "no doubt" that the Republicans had made a deal with the Iranians to not release the hostages in 1980.

Edited by Robert Morrow

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I watched "Seven Days in May". The film stands up very well. I was especially impressed with the acting and the script by Rod Serling.

The film is based on the novel by Fletcher Knebel and Charles W. Bailey II and published in 1962. The author, Knebel, got the idea for the book after interviewing the Air Force Chief of Staff Curtis LeMay. At the time LeMay had spoken to some of his staff about removing the President from power.

In the film the leader of the plot, head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), Air Force General James Mattoon Scott, is compared to General Edwin A. Walker.

It is believed that Knebel got the idea for the book after a conversation with President Kennedy. It was Knebel's first novel. According to John Frankenheimer, the director, Pierre Salinger conveyed to him that JFK wanted the film be made, "these were the days of General Walker" and, though the Pentagon did not want the film made, the President would conveniently arrange to visit Hyannis Port for a weekend when the film needed to shoot outside the White House.

The main figure behind the film was not John Frankenheimer but Kirk Douglas and his film company, Joel Productions. It was Douglas who broke the blacklist with producing Spartacus in 1960. Joe McCarthy along with General Walker gets a mention in the film.

In the book, the secret United States Army combat unit created and controlled by Scott's conspiracy is based in Texas near Fort Bliss. However, in the film the venue is changed to San Diego. I wonder why?

Rod Serling is an interesting choice to write the script. He had very left-wing views and was very frustrated by the amount of political censorship he suffered. In 1959, he began producing The Twilight Zone. He stated in an interview that the science fiction format would not be controversial and would escape censorship unlike his earlier work on television. In reality the show gave him the opportunity to communicate social messages in a more veiled context.

A few years ago, I think in spring 2009, I interviewed Bobby Ray Inman, known as "Mr. Intelligence" and someone who has run the ONI, the DIA, as well as being deputy director of the CIA. Inman, who lives in Austin as I do - in fact he lives down the street from me - volunteered and told me that if a coup even comes to America that it will be just like the movie Seven Days in May.

Then I told Inman that Kennedy had the movie made and even filmed at the White House in order to send a message to his Joint Chiefs of Staff. Inman looked stunned when I told him that. Just stunned.

Inman also told me that he would go to his grave believing that Fidel Casto had killed JFK. Google George Joannides and you will see a picture of Adm. Bobby Ray Inman.

I don't think Inman was lying to me in the interview. I think some folks in a bureaucracy or organization become immune to learning the truth because it is politically and socially unacceptable. Inman also told me that he never met James Angleton. Inman also told me there was "no doubt" that the Republicans had made a deal with the Iranians to not release the hostages in 1980.

That's interesting Robert,

Is Inman still your neighbor?

ONI Task Force 157 was set up by ONI director Adml Rufus Taylor, whose records went missing when the Assassination Records Review Board came looking for them, and the TF157 was dissolved by Bobby Ray Inman after Ed Wilson told him about it.

BK

JFKcountercoup: Rear Admiral Rufus Taylor ONI Records Missing?

Robert, I'm personally amazed that somebody so highly placed in US Intelligence could still be in the dark about the evidence of the JFK assassination, so that he believes that Castro killed JFK.

If my theory is right that General Walker killed JFK, then the belief of your ONI contact that Castro did it speaks volumes of praise for General Walker's stealth and secrecy.

It also suggests that this was not an old fashioned coup d'etat in which the victor stands up and takes credit for the revolt, and clearly announces the new direction for the nation. On the contrary - General Walker wanted to keep his role super-secret.

It was underhanded, so to speak; sneaky and secret. The intent of the rogue CIA agents and the Cuban Exiles and the Russian Exiles and the racist Mafia bosses and the neo-Nazi elements of the extreme right wing in Dallas was always the same -- to blame the communists.

In their opinion, if the USA blamed the communists for the JFK assassination, they would eventually mobilize and overthrow Castro by force. That story was pushed hard by Frank Sturgis and Johnny Roselli many other mid-level conspirators.

But the USA did not buy it! Not only did the Washington DC Senate refuse to buy it, but the majority of the USA population refused to buy it. This was so clear by December, 1963, that Hoover himself refused to push it - rather, he opted for the "Lone Gunman" theory.

So - there still remained an underground of USA right-wingers who tried to spread the idea that the communists (i.e. Castro and Lee Harvey Oswald the FPCC 'official') were the culprits. And your contact from the ONI bought it!

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Guest Robert Morrow

That's interesting Robert,

Is Inman still your neighbor?

ONI Task Force 157 was set up by ONI director Adml Rufus Taylor, whose records went missing when the Assassination Records Review Board came looking for them, and the TF157 was dissolved by Bobby Ray Inman after Ed Wilson told him about it.

BK

JFKcountercoup: Rear Admiral Rufus Taylor ONI Records Missing?

Inman is still my neighbor up the street. I don't think he will be letting me interview him anytime soon. I believe he is very close to George Herbert Walker Bush and well as the Clintons. In fact, in 1994 the Clintons were going to make him head of the Department of Defense. Then the Israeli Lobby, who hates Inman, ran a rumor mongering campaign saying he was a homosexual. This scalded Inman a lot and he backed down rather than face a contentious Senate nominating process. Years later Inman is still stung by what happened in 1994.

Is Inman in fact a closeted (but married) homosexual? Just based on his demeanor and interactions with me, I would not be surprised. He sure did wilt quickly in 1994 when the Mossad and William Safire of the NYT came after him in an organized Stop Inman campaign.

Inman is a likeable man, extremely intelligent and apparently he was Mr. Intelligence Ace for decades.

Towards the end of the interview, Inman was ready to get me out of his office after I started asking things about Jeb Bush, CIA drug smuggling, Oliver North. He seemed taken aback when I told him I was the nation's #1 anti-Hillary activist. Of course, I quizzed him on the JFK assassination, too.

Inman does not like Oliver North at all and I think sees him as a loose cannon. However Inman is very close to GHW Bush who was running Oliver North. I got the impression that Inman was a PR man for the Bush family and that he was tied into the Clintons.

• 3 weeks later...

The movie can be seen in its entirety

A few days ago, I watched Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Stopped Worrying and Came To Love The Bomb. In some ways

it is a bizarre postscript to the Kennedy Assassination, at least I think so.

PS If you read the following, you might even agree with me.

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=33526

One thing I do seem to remember is that, in the novelization of the film (which is different from the novel Red Alert on which the film is loosely based), the "prefix code" used by General Ripper is different: rather than "POE" -- Peace on Earth/Purity of Essence -- it was "JFK," which was explained as an acronym for "Joe For King." I never quite understood that, but now I wonder if the novelization had already gone to press before the assassination. (It's been thirty-some years since I read it, so I don't remember the full explanation, but I do remember the "Joe for King" bit.)

ETA: From IMDB:

Quote:

Another reason for cutting the custard pie fight at the end of the film was that at one point, President Muffley took a pie in the face and fell down, prompting Gen. Turgidson to cry, "Gentlemen! Our gallant young president has just been struck down in his prime!" Stanley Kubrick had already decided to cut the pie fight by the time of President John F. Kennedy's assassination, but this line (or possibly even the whole sequence) would certainly have been cut anyway due to its eerie similarity to real events.

END

Much along the same lines, I also finished Stephen King's 11/22/63, which, whatever criticism

one has for the book, boring can't possibly be one of them....Apologies for not getting to the point

sooner.

But for those who are familiar with Al's Diner, George Amberson, Sadie Dunhill or a particular day

in September 1958 and the Butterfly Effect......one cannot read those pages and not think alot about

General Edwin Walker, and if you subscribe to wife Tabitha King's take on November 22nd, instead

of Stephen's you can't claim to understand everything about the Walker shooting unless you've read.

The Walker Shooting Revisited [page 206 Dick Russell - The Man Who Knew Too Much]

Along those lines, one of the names that is central to Russell's Walker segment and seems to get lost in

the shuffle of Army Intelligence's types, whereas everyone seems to know about James W Powell and his

photography in Dealey Plaza on said day, is listed below.......

BERNICE ANGERS

HUMAN, BERNICE ANGERS Born 10/05/ 1912 Died 04/02/2008 Bernice a gardener, tennis player, wife, and mother went to visit friends and loved ones in heaven April 2, 2008. Born in Bay City MI., she lived as a child in Detroit where she played professional tennis until she moved to Ft Worth, Texas. and became a bank secretary. Ft Worth was where she met and married Billy Harley Human. They raised three boys during their marriage of 57 years. They lived in San Antonio during the war years, after which they settled in Dallas. In the early fifties they moved to the White Rock Lake community where they lived until the early 80's. Bernice and Bill were always active in the Catholic church and stayed involved in Democratic politics. She was the co- founder of the Shore Acres Beautification Club "The idea of a garden club in this area was conceived by Mrs. Arthur Brawner and Mrs. B.H. Human in the backyard of Dottie Brawner's home, as the two of them tended small children by the swings". After the sale of the family business, Human Oil and Supply Company, they moved to Laguna Vista Texas. They returned to Dallas in 1995 where Billy Human died in 1997. Even at age 95, Bernice remained independently living on her own and driving to church, until 6 months ago when illness forced her to a nursing facility. Her constant companion after Bill died, was her sweet dog Topps. Bernice is survived by George and Marilyn Human of Richardson, Jud Human of Dallas and Mike and Sue Human of Dallas. Grandchildren are David and Pam Human of Richmond, VA. Laurie and Dennis Roach of Albuquerque, NM, Chris and Jennifer Human of San Antonio, TX and Bethany Human of Columbia, SC. Bernice was also the proud great grandmother of 8. Bernice in survived by Bradford and Jan Angers of Riverview, FL. Burial services will be held in San Antonio, TX. In lieu of flowers, the family request that memorials be made in Bernice's name to the charity of your choice. Services are pending at Mission Park Cemetery in San Antonio.

Dallas Morning News, The (TX)

Date: April 6, 2008

Record Number: 20339677-1

© Copyright, 2008, The Dallas Morning News

Bradford J. Angers (ASA)

The following is from the Second Infantry Division History Book Bradford J Angers, World War II; Enlisted Regular Army. Born in Detroit, Michigan. Graduated Detroit Institute of Technology with B.A. in Sociology/Psychology. Enlisted thru Fort Sheridan, Illinois. Took Combat Engineers Basic, Fort Lewis Washington, Expert M-l Rifle, cal. 45 Pistol, M-3 Sub-machine Gun, Bayonet and Grenade. Attended Signal Corps Training school and was trained in, code, cryptography, teletype and Teletype Decoding, at Fort Monmouth New Jersey. At that time most of the training was directed at developing agents for the O.S.S. and other security related groups. He attended Military Information & Education School and was assigned to Special Services at Camp Stoneman California. He sailed U.S.S. Gen. E.T. Collins to the Philippines. He served with the then top secret 9th Detachment Second Signal Service Battalion of the Army Security Agency in Luzon, APT (Asiatic Pacific Theatre of Operations), AFWSPAC (Armed Forces, Western Pacific Theatre of Operations). All service there was and still is Classified. With service connected injuries, he returned stateside on the U.S.S. Hospital Ship Hope. He was assigned to Second Signal Army Security Station, Petaluma, California. Again, most of this operation was Classified. He was finally discharged from Madigan General Hospital, Fort Lewis, Washington in 1947. He is a Life Member VFW Post 6796, Dallas, Texas. A Life Member and Past Commander of DAV Chapter 57, Dallas, Texas. A Life Member of The Second Indianhead Division Association, and served as President of the Dallas/Fort Worth Branch 1988 and '89. He was married to Janet Louise Lord in 1957. They liveed in Dallas, Texas for over 40 years and own several companies building sub-miniature electronic surveillance equipment for law enforcement and Government agencies. He also owned his own Public Relations firm as well as a computer oriented advertising and publishing network. He is active in local government, charities, has appeared on television and is adept at public speaking and is highly sought after for his expertise in computer technology. He has been listed in several ?Who?s Who? (ie: Who?s Who Among Students (?48-51), Who?s Who in Texas (?73-?74), Who?s Who in American Business, etc. He and his wife now live in Riverview, Florida.

http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageHistory/1,13506,104471|772685,00.html

Edited by Robert Howard

...But for those who are familiar with Al's Diner, George Amberson, Sadie Dunhill or a particular day in September 1958 and the Butterfly Effect......one cannot read those pages and not think alot about General Edwin Walker, and if you subscribe to wife Tabitha King's take on November 22nd, instead of Stephen's you can't claim to understand everything about the Walker shooting unless you've read. The Walker Shooting Revisited [page 206 Dick Russell - The Man Who Knew Too Much]...

Robert, I especially appreciate that you recalled the work done by Dick Russell on General Edwin Walker. Russell visited General Walker personally, once in the 80's and once in the 90's as I recall.

Walker was convinced that Oswald was his shooter, and he sidestepped Russell's question about his telling the German newspaper (Deutsche NationalZeitung) about this allegation on 11/23/1963, less than 24 hours after JFK's assassination.

Also, to Liebeler and the Warren Commission, Walker said that he 'was never sure about it.' To others, however, Walker proudly announced it often. To Dick Russell, however, Walker repeated the lie he told the Warren Commission, namely, that the German newspaper guys "guessed it right".

The Mary Ferrell Foundation archives, however, show that Liebeler had FBI evidence that Walker certainly did talk to Helmut Muench on 11/23/1963, and Muench informed them that Walker indeed told the German newsmen that Oswald was his 4/10/1963 shooter. But the Warren Commission didn't officially know that Oswald was Walker's shooter until Marina told them in December. Walker wiggled out of it with Dick Russell, too; although Russell wasn't quite convinced.

In my theory, after George De Mohrenschildt told his Dallas friends that he suspected Oswald was Walker's April shooter, those friends told the FBI, the FBI told Walker (perhaps through Guy Banister) and as early as 4/14/1963 General Walker set in motion his revenge against Oswald - to make him the patsy of a plot.

We need to keep seeking out all signs that Walker was tracking Oswald from 4/14/1963 through 11/22/1963. And we need to keep in mind that Walker was very shrewd.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

(edit typos)

Edited by Paul Trejo

Wasn't it really a shooting of the window frame?

Wasn't it really a shooting of the window frame?

John, there were bullet holes in more than the window frame. Some bullets entered the house and hit the wall right by Walker's ear. The investigating policeman said that a shot that close was intended to kill, not merely to frighten. Walker found bullet fragments that did not match an Italian Manlicher-Carcano rifle, and until the end of his life he continually demanded to know who the second shooter was. At one point he thought that RFK sent the CIA to be Oswald's second shooter. This comes out in the Walker archives of the Briscoe Center of American History.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Ok, btw I'm learning more about Walker than I have since starting to look at this in the short time you have been posting

(interestingly it was a cirquituous path from a doc in the MSC files that connected a midland Walker supporter of Walker who ran a fund drive for Walker with donations to a building in Dallas. (I think it was one of the cbd big buildings.) that finally brought me into Dallas proper)

Now the point I was making re the Walker shooting. :

A lit window at night , stationary and level and short distance and a miss( or two...?. Then the same person(s) shoot a totally different scenario with success. Did 'they' practice in between? Did 'they' mean to hit Walker?

Ok, btw I'm learning more about Walker than I have since starting to look at this in the short time you have been posting

(interestingly it was a cirquituous path from a doc in the MSC files that connected a midland Walker supporter of Walker who ran a fund drive for Walker with donations to a building in Dallas. (I think it was one of the cbd big buildings.) that finally brought me into Dallas proper)

Now the point I was making re the Walker shooting. :

A lit window at night , stationary and level and short distance and a miss( or two...?. Then the same person(s) shoot a totally different scenario with success. Did 'they' practice in between? Did 'they' mean to hit Walker?

John, thanks for the new digging into this.

As for your questions about the two shootings (April 10th and November 22nd 1963) they have been discussed by other researchers in the past, obviously.

The discussions follow similar paths: (1) we cannot assume that the shooters on April 10th were exactly the same shooters on November 22nd; (2) the shooting ability of Oswald is the subject of wild divergences in reports; (3) the bullet that made the fatal head shot for JFK appears to have been an exploding bullet, and not one from a Manlicher-Carcano.

No exploding bullets were found in the woodwork in the Walker house on April 10th.

BTW, I favor the theory that says that the brain of JFK was not allowed to be examined by ordinary doctors on November 22nd, because they would have found fragments of an exploding bullet, and not from a Manlicher-Carcano bullet. As David Lifton aptly pointed out, in the next 24 hours JFK's brain had completely vanished from examiners. This is likely because there were so many fragments from an exploding bullet that experts could not guarantee that they removed every fragment from JFK's brain in time to return it to other medical personnel.

What this tells me is that Oswald was probably not a shooter of JFK, although he was obliged to be the patsy. Notice that he was a loud FPCC supporter in New Orleans, but when he moved back to Dallas and worked at the TSBD building, he was reserved and quiet. (Something probably happened in Mexico that took the wind out of his sails.) His task may have been as simple as taking a special package to the TSBD that morning.

Also, Larrie and Bob Schmidt were not in Dallas on November 22, 1963, according to Dick Russell. So, I believe the shooters on April 10th were entirely different from the shooters on November 22nd.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Ok, let's assume so. It does explain things though I think the right wing plalying both sides (as documented in other accounts of MO) with a motto of 'there is an opportunity in everything' and there was no ''shooting to kill'' re Walker is also valid.

I won't comment on exploding bullets. I do not know what happened there. I have notions, like everyone else. I doubt many would share my ideas on the matter.