The Education Forum

Walker Cup 2009

William Kelly

Stiggy Hodgson at Merion

Youth vs. History

http://kellysgolfhistory.blogspot.com/

Andy, did they name the Walker Cup after you?

BK

No - nor was it after a near relative!!

But there is a Walker Cup named after me at my home club Fawkham Valley Golf Club. It is an 18 hole scratch medal in April - should you ever find yourself washed up on these shores you are very welcome to play as my guest :lol:

Stiggy Hodgson at Merion

Youth vs. History

http://kellysgolfhistory.blogspot.com/

Andy, did they name the Walker Cup after you?

BK

No - nor was it after a near relative!!

But there is a Walker Cup named after me at my home club Fawkham Valley Golf Club. It is an 18 hole scratch medal in April - should you ever find yourself washed up on these shores you are very welcome to play as my guest :lol:

If the first American golfers to play Great Britain, Ireland and Scotland ((Travis, McDermitt, Hagan) weren't treated so shabbily, there wouldn't be a Walker's Cup or a Ryder Cup, both of which are held every two years, on alternate years, between teams of golfers, playing match rather than tournament rules, and doing so for very little financial reward. They do it for God and Country.

Of course the Walker Cup was placed into competition by one of the Bush's uncles, a Yankee from the Northeast, which explains in part, why the Bushs were never really accepted into the North Dallas aristocracy.

As for the Walker Cup of Fawkham Valley, what is the story behind it?

Did you pay for the Mug, earn it, or is there a real story behind it, like that of Stiggy Hodgson, named after Stigg of the Dump comix after falling into a dumpster and coming up with a mashie?

Or do I have to come over there and buy a round in order to get the truth?

BK

Or do I have to come over there and buy a round in order to get the truth?

BK

I commend this idea to the House. Make mine a large one!

The FVGC Club Walker cup originated in a competition my father used to play in against his 7 golfing brothers on the Wirral many years ago - they clubbed together for a silver pot and one of them would have bragging rights for a year. I inherited the said pot on the death on my father in 1988 and moved 'down south' on missionary work. On completing six straight scratch club championship wins at my new club in 1999 I decided to resurrect the 'Walker Cup' to encourage the young guns to play scratch golf more often and have sponsored it ever since. Suffice to say they beat me most times these days so I guess its done its job. :lol:

I am happy to say it has become one of the most coveted trophies in the club.

• 1 year later...