The Education Forum

LINNIE MAE RANDLE NEVER SAW OSWALD PUT THE PACKAGE IN THE CAR

Gil Jesus

A well put agrument imo. The bit where i get a doubt is one that arises from the use of inside lights in a car. Were cars then equipped with interior roof lights that click on manually or when the doors open?

John I beleive that the interior lights worked on cars back then when the doors opened. We had a 1953 Oldsmobile 88 whose interior lights would go on when the door was open or ajar.

Whether or not the interior light on Frazier's car worked or not I guess is speculative.

Added info:

On some of those old 4-door cars, the interior lights only worked with the front doors.

Whether or not that was true with the '54 Chevy, I don't remember.

I'm in the process of trying to find that out.

Our '53 Olds was a 2-door.

Ok, Gill, then that's a thing to look into. Perhaps she knew by habit the cars lovation and hoe the light would shine depending on which door was opened so in a sense she could have seen I suppose and mixed with deduction.

I wonder how a still in box set of window curtains looked then?

Were only Holmes, Fritz and Oswald peresnt at that time?

• 10 years later...
On 2/15/2010 at 10:20 PM, Gil Jesus said:

Mrs. RANDLE. He opened the right back door and I just saw that he was

laying the package down so I closed the door. I didn't recognize him

as he walked across my carport and I at that moment I wondered who was

fixing to come to my back door so I opened the door slightly and saw

that it--I assumed he was getting in the car but he didn't, so he come

back and stood on the driveway.

Mr. BALL. He put the package in the car.

Mrs. RANDLE. Yes, sir; I don't know if he put it on the seat or on the

floor but I just know he put it in the back.

( 2 H 248-249 )

Randle "didn't recognize", "wondered" and "assumed" because the outer

wall of the carport prevented her from seeing what was going on on the

other side of it.

(CE 446 , CE 447 )

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol17_0097a.htm

Mrs. RANDLE. .....Wesley's car was on the other side of the

carport ..... ( 2 H 251 )

It was actually on the other side of the outer wall of the carport.

"He opened the right back door and I just saw that he was laying the package down so I closed the door".  Impossible.  She couldn't see the right back door of Wes's car from the kitchen door onto the carport because of the louvers on the west side of the carport, and, since the car was backed in on the other side of them the right side means the car was between her and that right side.

"I didn't recognize him as he walked across my carport and I wondered who was fixing to come to my back door so I opened the door slightly..."  Not enough to see the right rear of Wes's car backed in, through the louvers?

She didn't recognize him?  She was supposedly involved in conversations with Ruth and Marina that resulted in Lee getting the job at the TSBD.  Lee had been hitching a ride back to Dallas/work with Wes after visiting Marina on Monday mornings for all but (?) one of the last 6-7 weeks.  This was the first time she'd ever seen him?  Maybe with the cloudiness and rain it was still dark enough she couldn't recognize him?  But if so, how could she see him clearly enough to see him through the louvers, and Wes's car?

Her Mom and Wes were sitting at the kitchen table.  Sitting down they couldn't see out the kitchen window over the sink, especially with Linnie Mae in the way.  As she rushed pass them from the sink to the door to the carport why didn't she say "a stranger's walking across the driveway behind the carport carrying something towards your car Wes."  Then, "He put "it" in the backseat."

Oh that's just Lee, for some reason he came to see Marina on a Thursday night.  Probably just his lunch.

Nice one Ron.

This is a continuing controversy at Tom Scully noted in his post.

Its really something that it was allowed to stay as a given by the first generation of critics.

BTW, Gil Jesus was and is a valuable researcher.

Edited by James DiEugenio