The Education Forum

Air Force One Radio Transmissions

Cross's mother was Susie Jesse Wells Cross.

Cross married Marie Campbell in 1945. He dedicated his book to her, after 62 years of marriage....

Thanks Tom,

http://books.google....20cross&f=false

I won't be able to post it all of it now, for time reasons.....

But Jim Cross gets a fair amount of print in John L Bullion's "In The Boat With LBJ."

Unfortunately, I believe it is all post-assassination.

In one section, circa December 1965,[possibly December 21, or 31, 1965] J Waddy Bullion and son John go to the LBJ ranch, and receive some

X'mas gifts from LBJ. One of them is a rifle for Waddy Bullion's son John.

LBJ is quoted as basically saying it might not be a good idea to fly Braniff back to Dallas, he then has

Jim Cross go with them, Cross is not the pilot, he is going to Linz Jewelers in Dallas to pick up

some watches.....The plane is a Queen-Air photo on page 284 [LBJ Library Frank Wolfe photograph]

Trying to gather whether Jim Cross lived, or maintained a residence in Dallas is shaky using this book as a source.

In one section, J Waddy Bullion and son John are telling Jim Cross, where some good restaurants in Downtown Dallas are,

which seems definitive, unless they were being duped into thinking he didn't live or maintain a residence there.

My gut feeling is he had some relatives of some kind in Dallas, or something weird.

Partially because of one passage.

.......page 282

John Bullion writes

"I know Colonel Cross wanted to preserve secrecy about his identity and his mission.

After he greeted us with "Nice to see you again, Mr. Bullion, nice to see you John,"

his features tightened when my father said we looked forward to flying with the pilot of Air Force One.

"I'm not flying today," he quickly added. "For once I'll be a passenger."

I asked how long he'd be in Dallas. Would he be returning this afternoon,

or staying the night? The colonel did not know how to answer this.

For a moment there was an uneasy silence......"

John indicated afterwards in another sentence, that Waddy saying to Cross...the President told us

what you were doing......ie the trip to Linz Jewelers for LBJ...

So, my comment about it being weird, is more about

the fact that what was so secretive about Jim Cross coming to Dallas

on an errand for LBJ, if he wasn't flying?

Maybe he had relatives in Dallas that were interviewed by the FBI

and that was the reason for all the secrecy, but that is just an observation.

I mean, Its not like I think Jim Cross flew anybody out of Dallas on November 22, 1963.......

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tom Scully

Cross's mother was Susie Jesse Wells Cross.

His father's name was also James, so we need to look further to find where Susie lived and when she died.

Cross married Marie Campbell in 1945. He dedicated his book to her, after 62 years of marriage....

In 1962, at least, Cross wrote that he lived with his family "a few miles from Andrews AFB." He had a long marriage, I doubt that his wife was managing apartments in Dallas in 1963. He wrote that her parents lived in Austin.

On edit, Cross's mother died in 1995, age 89, in Alabama, where she presumably always lived.:

CROSS, SUSIE W 25 Apr 1905 16 Mar 1995 89 36590 (Theodore, Mobile, AL)

Info at this site independently confirms she is "the" Susie Cross.

According to his brother's obituary, Cross and his wife were living this past January in Gatesville, TX.:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2174829&GRid=47272551&

http://www.google.com/search?tbs=bks%3A1&tbo=1&q=%22so+that+stanley+marcus%2C+the+ceo+and+president*%22&btnG=Search+Books

Around the world with LBJ: my wild ride as Air Force One pilot, ... - Page 2

James Underwood Cross, Denise Gamino, Gary Rice - 2008 - 208 pages - Preview

....When Lynda and Chuck decided to marry, they told me first and asked for advice on how to break the news to the president and Lady Bird.

I flew to Dallas on the president's privately owned King Air with a handful of Johnson jewels so that Stanley Marcus, the CEO and president of Neiman Marcus, could appraise them and craft them into rings, brooches, and necklaces as presents for Lady Bird and the Johnson daughters....

Unfortunately, Robert, the rest of the narrative is available only in the physical book, but now I see that Lynda was not engaged to Chuck until 1967. I am confident, from my own past experience receiving inadequately addressed mail, that Gatesville is small enough so a letter addressed to Cross, Gatesville, TX will end up in his mailbox.

Edited by Tom Scully

LOCATIONS

Andrews AFB - Acrobat

Auchincloss Estate - Hamlet

Camp David - Cactus

Site R- Ft. Ritchie - Cosmic

Glen-Ora - Chateau

High Point - Crystal

Net Control – WHCA - Crown

Olmstead AFB - Astro

Washington Field Office - Hedge

VP EOB Office - Valdosta

VP Capitol Office - Vendor

VP Senate Office - Valentine

VP Residence (Elms) - Valley

CARS

Pres. Follow-up - Halfback

VP Follow-up - Varsity

Bomb Disposal - Hammer

Bomb Patrol - Halo

AIRCRAFT

Presidential - Angel

Vice Presidential - Angel Two

HELICOPTERS

Army-Davidson Field - Pat

Army-Anacostia - Alpha

Marine-Anacostia - Nighthawk

Air Force -Botany

FIRST FAMILY

President - Lancer

Mrs. Kennedy - Lace

Caroline - Lyric

John Jr. - Lark

VICE PRESIDENT'S FAMILY

Vice President - Volunteer

Mrs. Johnson - Victoria

Lynda Johnson - Velvet

Lucy Johnson - Venus

STAFF & AIDES

Kenneth O'Donnell - Wand

Pierre Salinger - Wayside

Andrew Hacker - Winner

Malcolm Kilduff - Warrior

Evelyn Lincoln - Willow

Dr. George Burkley - Market

Secretary Dean Rusk - Freedom

General Chester Clifton- Watchman

Capt. Tazewell Shepard- Witness

Gen. Godfrey McHugh - Wing

Walter Jenkins - Vigilant

SECRET SERVICE CHIEF'S OFFICE

Chief Rowley - Domino

Deputy Chief Paterni - Diamond

Asst. Chief Wildy -Debate

WASHINGTON FIELD OFFICE

SAIC Geiglein - Diesel

ASAIC Dahlquist - Driftwood

WHITE HOUSE DETAIL

SAIC Behn - Duplex

ASAIC Boring - Deacon

ASAIC Kellerman - Digest

ATSAIC Stout - Dipole

ATSAIC Roberts - Dusty

ATSAIC Godfrey - Dangle

ATSAIC Rodham - Dogwood

SA Clint Hill - Dazzle

SA Paul Landis - Debut

SA Lynn Meredith - Drummer

SA Mugsy O'Leary - Dapper

VICE PRESIDENT'S DETAIL

SAIC Stuart Knight - Dividend

ASAIC Rufus Youngblood - Dagger

SA Paul Rundle - Dixie

SA Jerry Kivett - Daylight

SA Lemuel Johns - Dandy

SA Glen Weaver - Derby

BOATS

Crashboat PT 109 - Novice

Honey Fitz - Nomad

Patrick J - Neptune

Marlin - Marlin

Presidential chase - Horsewhip

Jet boats - Guardian 1 & 2

86' Coat Guard - Waterwagon

33' Navy - Rockfish

Vice President - Vanguard

VP Chase - Village

ABBREVIATIONS

AFAUSSS - Association of Former Agents of the USSS

ASAIC - Assistant Special Agent in Charge

ATSAIC - Assistant to the SAIC

BOSSI - Bureau of Special Services and Investigations

EOB - Executive Office Building

SAIC - Special Agent in Charge

PRS - Protective Research Section

WHCA - White House Communications Agency

From the Appendix of The Kennedy Detail - JFK's Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence by Gerald Blaine with Lisa McCubbin (Gallery, Simon & Schuster, 2010).

Edited by William Kelly

• 1 year later...

There are two other versions of the transcripts of the AF1 Radio Transmission recordings released by the LBJ Library.

One is the official LBJ Library transcript and another done by a researcher (Kathleen Cunningham?), but both misidentify

"Liberty" station, which is the radio code word for the Collins Radio relay station at their company headquarters in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

In the partial references to what's on the tapes at the Raab web site, they mention "Cedar Rapids," which is another reference to this facility.

We knew that Gen. LeMay was at a Canadian AFB - at the time of the assassination, and flew to DC immediately.

More significant items may be on the new tape, but the current owners don't recognize its significance.

As Vince Salandria points out in his essay on the subject, two journalists, while visiting the LBJ White House, were given access to a transcript of a longer version of the tapes

than what was released by the LBJ Library, so we know there was a longer, unedited version of the tapes, and a longer transcript of whats on the unedited tapes, but both

the unedited tapes and longer transcript have yet to surface.

It would be important to determine if this tape is a complete, unedited tape, or yet another, edited, though longer version of the edited tapes.

One indication would be what one of the journalists (T. White?) who was allowed by LBJ to read the longer transcript, reported - and that was the statement attributed to McGeorge Bundy in the White House Situation Room (Crown) - to AF1 - that the assassin - Oswald was caught and there was no conspiracy.

It does not appear that this statement is on the new tape - and thus this tape is also an edited version of the original unedited raw tape of the transmission,

BK

JFKcountercoup: Air Force One Radio Tranmissions Transcript

JFKcountercoup: New AF1 Radio Tape Discovered

JFKcountercoup: Air Force One Radio Tranmissions Transcript

• 2 months later...

Pentagon taking its own steps - Doubtless the tape will be available to future historians

Aft of the cockpit Signalman John Trimble was too busy to brood. He had three phone patches going to the communications shack, and he was using Hanson's UHF and VHF sets, yet it wasn't enough. Every official in Washington it seemed, wanted to talk to Air Force One...Several conversations were trivial....Lem Johns was forwarding instructions to the White Hosue Communications Agency, and Bill Moyers was talking to Walter Jenkins and Mac Bundy. (Ted Clifton talked to Bundy, too, asking again whether an international plot was emerging. It was not a discreet inquiry. Trimble's patches were not secure. They could be bugged. Bundy replied crisply that the Pentagon was taking its own steps.) But the bulk of the verbal traffic was about President Kennedy...

p. 341 - Death of a President, Manchester.

Footnote 9 - p. 371

9. That Friday Lyndon Johnson did not know that John Kennedy had ordered the taping of all Angel conversations while the plane was in flight. On April 21, 1964, this writer learned that the Love-to-Andrews tape still existed. Since security was not involved, it was first thought that a complete transcript of it would serve as a useful appendix to this book. Presidential consent was withheld, however. On May 5, 1965, the author was permitted to read an edited transcript at the White House. Doubtless the tape will be available to future historians.

...In the car with (Ed) Guthman Robert Kennedy talked about every aspect of the disaster except one - his own incalculable loss...The liberal convictions of Attorney General Kennedy, like those of President Kennedy, were far more deeply held than most liberals had suspected, and they surfaced during the drive. "People just don't realize how conservative Lyndon Johnson really is," he said as they rode up in the Secretary of Defense's private elevator. "There are going to be a lot of changes."

p. 378

Please note that Manchester reported that Clifton asked Bundy "if an international plot was emerging" and Bundy replied "the Pentagon was taking its own steps."

This is not on the tapes we have heard thus far.

BK

JFKcountercoup: General Curtis LeMay on 11/22/63

Edited by William Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

"Watchman" - Gen. Clifton

JFKcountercoup

LeMay

(A work in progress)

JFKcountercoup: JFK & General LeMay

As Raab reports on is web site analysis, “All references to LeMayhave been deleted from the Johnson version. Note on Curtis LeMay: He was theAir Force Chief and a particularly staunch opponent of the Kennedyadministration. Robert McNamara stated that LeMay was astaunch advocate of ‘preemptive nuclear war to rid the world of the Sovietthreat.’ Air Force Chief Curtis LeMay, who had been advocating nuclear war withthe Soviet Union since the early 1950s, thought Cubawas a ‘sideshow’ and told the President that the United States should fry it.’ LeMay, himself amember of the Joint Chiefs, was in the habit of taking bullying commandof Joint Chiefs meetings,’ and with LeMay leading the charge for war, ‘theother chiefs jumped into the fray, repeating the Air Force general’s call forimmediate military action.’ Around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis,Kennedy told an aide that the administration needed to make sure that the JointChiefs did not start a war without his approval. Thirteen days after thatcrisis began, the Soviets announced that they would remove the missiles from Cuba,with the USagreeing to remove missiles from USbases in Turkeyand ‘pledging not to invade Cuba.’At the announcement of the end to the crisis, General LeMay told Kennedy, ‘It’sthe greatest defeat in our history,’ and that, ‘We should invade today.’ LyndonJohnson had better relations with General LeMay.”

JFKcountercoup: JCS Memo FitzGerald Briefing 25 Sept. 1963

JFKcountercoup: Valkyrie At Dealey Plaza

Sorry, Bill. I will try to get up to speed shortly. I've been rather occupied with other threads recently. But, from what I have read so far, good work, as usual...

Greg, I don't know if you remember but at one time, after the LBJ Library transcript of their AF1 radio tapes was shown to be incomplete and wrong in parts, I transcribed it myself and Rich posted it at JFKResarch.

Now with the new Clifton tape, I have transcribed the new parts and combined the two.

JFKcountercoup: Air Force One Radio Transcript - Update

I've done some analysis on LeMay and Clifton:

JFKcountercoup: JFK & General LeMay

JFKcountercoup: "Watchman"

Guest Robert Morrow

Maybe one good reason Curtis LeMay has been deleted from the Johnson tapes is because they were BOTH involved in the JFK assassination.

Both of these men certainly hated John and Robert Kennedy with a raging purple passion. I mean a child could have recruited Curtis LeMay into the JFK assassination.

H.L. Hunt, who I think funded the JFK assassination along with Clint Murchison, Sr., was a very close friend of BOTH Lyndon Johnson and Curtis LeMay. H.L. Hunt was out at Los Angeles at the 1960 Democratic convention, where he wrote a letter to Lyndon Johnson urging him to take the vice presidency.

In 1968 when Hunt funded the American Independent party, Hunt demanded/told/insisted that George Wallace pick Curtis LeMay as his vice presidential candidate.

Gen. Edward Lansdale, who was photographed at TSBD on 11/22/63 and identified by Prouty and Krulak, was an Air Force general. of course, LeMay was deep CIA and close to Allen Dulles who ran the Warren Commission farce.

Lyndon Johnson's top military attache was Col. Richard Burris, also of the Air Force.

http://heathcock.org/genealogy/ps11/ps11_426.html

JFK researcher John Judge is convinced that Gen. Curtis LeMay was one of the key players in the JFK assassination.

Johnson was probably trying to contact LeMay to make sure he was at the autopsy to control things in Bethesda.

Really, folks, is the JFK assassination *that* hard to figure out? I don't think I am being too bold with my assumptions.

Edited by Robert Morrow

"Air Force One, the Presidential airplane, was placed in service in 1962 using communications equipment developed and manufactured by Collins. The aircraft…was modified to meet special requirements…In 1962, the station that many remember as ' Liberty ' was opened and operated from the new communications building…(in Cedar Rapids, Iowa)….Collins had a contact with the Air Force to serve as either the primary communications station or as a backup whenever Air Force One, the presidential aircraft, and other aircraft it the VIP fleet carried cabinet members or high ranking military officers. Over the airwaves the station's call word was 'Liberty.' "

LBJ Library Tape – Reel 1 Side One – Patch

- Air Force One?

- Hello? Liberty!...... Liberty?

- Roger, I have White House Situation Room, Sam 86972,....Over.

- (Static).

- 86972 do you read me? Over.

- White House?

- White House on.

- Standby.

- White House, this is SAM 86972. How do youread? Over.

- 86972, I read you loud and clear, loud and clear.

- Roger, standby One, please, we have another phone patch going on with Sing Sing, but we do have traffic for you, so hold on for a moment please.

- Roger, Roger 86972.

Reel 1 Side One - Patch8

- Andrews sideband. Airman Gilmore.

- Roger. Are you in contact with the party coming back from Tokyo?Go ahead.

- Yes sir. We're going through Liberty airwaves for that aircraft.

- Roger, can you connect me with Wayside?

- Standby One Six.

- Sir?

- Yes Sir?

- There's Mister Jackson running a patch to that aircraft at this time, would you like to listen in or would you like me to break the patch sir?

- Ah, could I wait please?

- Yes, you can standby. You're number two.

Reel 1 Side One - Patch 10.

- Andrews, 26000. Radio Check.

- 26000 (Two Six Thousand), Andrews, loud and clear.

- [Third voice] 26000, Liberty, loud and clear. Will you try to notify if you close down for good? Go ahead.

- Roger. Will do.

- Roger, Liberty.

Reel 1 Side One - Patch#15

-26000 Andrews. Loud and clear.

- We'll be moving out pretty shortly.

- 86972. Standby.

- 972 go ahead sir.

- Okay, we're coming pretty close to Honolulu landing ah. I don't know if we'll be able to or not but I'm going to or not but I'm going to try to keep this equipment up, ah, but I'm not certain I'll be able to do it. Understand that thirteen is pretty good. ….Is that correct?

- This is Andrews. That is affirmed. 26000 is now getting ready to take off. He's on One Three. If you standby, One, I'll confer with Liberty and see what frequency, in case you do drop out, what frequency we'll have standing up on waiting for your call.

- Okay, do that. Get them all set up. I might not be able to keep it open.

- Roger. Standby One.

- Okay, Liberty? Yea, we got One Three and One Five up right now, besides going through you. I don't know if OneThree is going to be tied up or not. And ah, what frequencies do you think youcan have set up in case he drops out on so you he'll know what frequencies we're listening on?

- I'll be on One Eight, One Five and One Three. And we can hold on One Eightfor a while because we got Newport Jerry up there.

- Right. Do you have another one, a little bit lower maybe?

- We could drop down from eighteen to One Five to thirteen.

- How about Tripple One?

- Ah, on the sideband.

- Okay, I'll tell him we'll be on eighteen, thirteen, One Five and Triple One,all uppers, right?

- All right.

- Except this one, we're on lower.

- Go ahead.

- Okay.

- 86972, Andrews.

- Roger, Andrews is going to be standing by and Liberty on Triple One upper,Triple One Seven Six upper, One Five Zero One One upper, One Five Zero One One upper, One Three Two Zero Seven upper and One three one seven, lower.

- Okay, very good. Out

- Roger

Raab Collection Web Site:

RADIO BANDS,LOGISTICS

There is expanded conversation about what bands they will speak on, information valuable in assessing the process of communication on board Air Force One during the flight home.

These are just a few of the points of difference we found, using the acoustic equipment at our disposal. Forensic equipment could certainly reveal more. Moreover, this discovery permits the application of new technologies to the original film and not simply to a digital file. It is the most significant piece of audio/visual history ever to reach the public market.

Theodore H. White's book The Making of a President, 1964 – in which White wrote on page 20: There is a tape recording in the archives of the Government which best recaptures the sound of the hours as it waited for leadership. It is a recording of all the conversations in the air, monitored by the [Army] Signal Corps Midwestern center "Liberty," between Air Force One in Dallas, the Cabinet plane over the Pacific, and the Joint Chiefs' Communication Center in Washington.

White continued on page 48:

On the flight the party learned that there was no conspiracy, learned of the identity of Oswald and his arrest; and the President's mind turned to the duties of consoling the stricken and guiding the quick.

Corroboration for White's claim can be found in the 1993 oral history edited by Gerald S. and Debroah H. Strober, LetUs Begin Anew: An Oral History of the Kennedy Presidency. On pages 450-451, Assistant Secretary of State Robert Manning – who was aboard the Cabinet plane to Japan with Secretary of State Rusk and Presidential Press Secretary PierreSalinger – is quoted as saying that the White House situation room was in continuous voice contact with the Cabinet aircraft, and not only informed Rusk that "Lancer [the President] is dead," but also told the editors of the book: "The news then came in that someone named Oswald who had been in the Soviet Union had done this."

Doug Horne MEMORANDUM

October 17, 1995

To: Jeremy Gunn

Subject: Air Force One Audiotapes from November 22, 1963

[...An] incomplete "transcript" of the edited audiotapes can be found in LBJ library box # 19. It is highly recommended that anyone listening to the tapes first check out this item from Steve Tilley on the sixth floor, and run off a photocopy of the transcript.

An unidentified voice informs the listener at the outset ofthe first cassette (NLJ 3) that the recording is "edited and condensed." The agency or organization which performed the editing is not identified either. Total length of the recorded material on these edited tapes is estimated at about 2 hours; without running a stop watch a more precise estimate is not possible, since the 3 cassettes used for the transfer by the LBJ library are not uniformly filled with material. For example, the second side of tapes NLJ 4and NLJ 5 are almost 100% blank, and the first side of tape NLJ 3 is notcompletely filled.

3. Procedures: The audiotapes at NARAmust be listened to in Suite 4000at Archives II. The tapes are requested in suite 4000; they are not held by Steve Tilley. An imperfect,….

4. Joan Zimmerman and I took voluminous notes, noting the many occasions when spoken word on the tapes is not accounted for on the LBJ transcript. We also took notes in an attempt to expand on areas of the"transcript" which are only summations of conversations (vice verbatim accounts), and attempted to correct occasional inaccuracies found in the LBJ "transcript." We both feel that it would be premature, at this time, for the ARRB to attempt to create a true, verbatim transcript of the edited Air Force One tapes, since the Review Board is engaged in a search to locate the unedited tapes from which the LBJ variant is condensed. If-and-when a complete audiorecord of these conversations is located, it may be considered worthwhile for the ARRB to expend the resources necessary to create a complete and precise transcript for inclusion in the JFK Collection at NARA.

5. The Air Force One tapes commence when the Presidential aircraft (Special Air Mission, or "SAM" 26000) is still on the ground at Carswell AFB near Fort Worth, Texas on the morning of November 22,1963; as the tape begins, President Kennedy has not yet boarded the aircraft following the Fort Worth breakfast event, so the aircraft is not yet referred to as "Air Force One." The LBJ tapes include the flight from Carswell AFB to Love Field outside Dallas before the assassination, and the flight from Love Field to Andrews AFB outside Washington DC after the assassination. The various parties (or "patches," to use military communications jargon) include the following, listed exactly as spoken on the tapes:

Name/Call Sign Remarks

SAM 26000 The Presidential aircraft, whenthe President is not onboard.

Air Force One the Presidential aircraft, when the President is aboard.

SAM 86972 The State Department aircraft carrying Press Secretary Salinger, Secretary of State Rusk, Secretary ofAgriculture Freeman and other Cabinet members and Administration officials. When the assassination occurred, this aircraft was enroute from Hawaii to Japan; subsequent to the assassination, the aircraft returned to Hawaii to refuel, and then flew directly from Hickam AFB in Hawaii to Andrews AFB Washington.

"Andrews" An "Airman Gilmore" answers for Andrews AFB throughout the tape and appears to be the central player attempting to facilitate all "patches."

"Liberty" Precise definition unknown, but through context, "Liberty" appearsto be the party controlling radio frequency assignments among 26000, 86972, and the various parties in Washington DC who are talking with Government officials on Air Force One while it is enroute Andrews AFB.

"Command Post" Command Post's location is never specified.

"Air Force Command Post" Air Force Command Post's location is never specified.

"SAM Command Post" SAM Command Post's location is never specified.

"Crown" White House Situation Room.

6. The LBJ transcript from LBJ box # 19 has appended to it many of the USSS-WHCA code names used by personnel onboard SAM26000, SAM 86972, and at the White House situation room; additional code names found on the tapes can be found on pages xxi and xxii of Death of a President, by William Manchester. Nevertheless, there are still some code names used in the tape which Ms. Zimmerman and I could not decipher using the research tools mentioned above. Two of these unidentified dramatis personae on the tapes are "Stranger" and "Dagger". It was interesting to note that on November 22, 1963 following the assassination, presumably due to the great stress induced by the day's events, use of the USSS-WHCA code names was sloppy and inconsistent, with many speakers interchanging their code names and real names during the same conversation (thus compromising the purpose of the codenames).

7. As a result of our review of the LBJ library's edited and condensed version of the Air Force One tapes, many noteworthy observations were made which clearly justify ARRB's pursuit of the unedited versions of these audiotapes, or of other records which could shed light on the ambiguities inherent in the incomplete and intriguing record constituted by these taped conversations.These "investigative leads" are summarized below in no particular order orpriority, and regardless of how they are eventually resolved or clarified, any assassination records which could shed light on these sometimes confusing and controversial passages belong in the JFK Collection at NARA:

A. Four radio frequencies were identified as the means of communications between parties onboard aircraft SAM 26000, SAM86972, and the White House Communications Agency in Washington, namely:

11176 MHZ (Upper sideband)

15011 MHZ (Upper Sideband)

13247 MHZ (Upper sideband)

18027 MHZ (Lower sideband)

Part of the LBJ library collection donated to the JFK Collection at NARA includes a typed summary prepared by Master Sergeant John C. Trimble, USAF ( the WHCA technician who was the radio operator on board Air Force One during the flight from Dallas to Washington on November 22, 1963). In his statement, he says: "I...had three phone patches going simultaneously most of the time." Since total fight time, from takeoff from Love Field, until "on the blocks" at Andrews AFB was 2 hours and 17 minutes, the unedited audiotapes could conceivably be as long as 7-9 hours in total duration, although how much ofthis time would be "dead time" is unknown. One serious problem with the edited Air Force One tape is that the listener does not know which frequency (i.e.,"patch") he is listening to at any one time, or whether or not the various conversations which are condensed onto the tape are recorded in the proper time sequence.

- William Manchester. Death of aPresident (p. 341):

"Aft of the cockpit Signalman John Trimble was too busy to brood. He had three phone patches going to the communications shack, and he was using Hanson's UHF and VHF sets, yet it wasn't enough. Every official in Washington it seemed, wanted to talk to Air Force One...Several conversations were trivial....Lem Johns was forwarding instructions to the White House Communications Agency, and Bill Moyers was talking to Walter Jenkins and MacBundy. (Ted Clifon talked to Bundy, too, asking again whether an international plot was emerging. It was not a discreet inquiry. Trimble's patches were not secure. They could be bugged. Bundy replied crisply that the Pentagon was taking its own steps.) But the bulk of the verbal traffic was about President Kennedy..."

Footnote 9 - p. 371

9. That Friday Lyndon Johnson did not know that John Kennedy had orderedthe taping of all Angel conversations while the plane was in flight. On April 21, 1964, this writer learnedthat the Love-to-Andrews tape still existed. Since security was not involved,it was first thought that a complete transcript of it would serve as a useful appendix to this book. Presidential consent was withheld, however. On May 5, 1965, the author was permitted to read an edited transcript at the WhiteHouse. Doubtless the tape will be available to future historians.

CD 387

The names of the Presidential airplane crew fort the entiretrip to Texas are as follows:

Colonel James B. Swindel

Lt. Col. Lewis G. Hanson

Major David D. Oder

CWO John R. McLane

SMSget. William J. Chappell

MSgt. J.C. Trimble

SMSgt. Joseph C. Ayres

MSgt. Vernon J.Shell

TSgt. R. M. McMillan

SSgt. John T. Hames

MSgt. Wyatt A. Broom

SSgt. Eulogio Gomez

TSgt. Charles R. Ruberg

JFKcountercoup: "Liberty" Station at Collins Radio

Edited by William Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

JFKcountercoup: "Liberty" Station at Collins Radio

Although I first mentioned this on the Collins Radio Thread, it seems more appropriate to be posted here.

As mentioned earlier, the size of this pdf, precludes me from uploading it. So you might want to download it, knowing how some of these types of things suddenly are no longer available....

[PDF]

Readiness Program - Sandia National Laboratories

www.sandia.gov/recordsmgmt/exhibits/ReadinessProgram.pdfSimilar

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View

Genesis of the Readiness Program. With the ratification of the Limited Test Ban Treaty (LTBT) in 1963, the United States, United Kingdom, and Soviet Union

Sandia in JFK related literature......

The Missing Chapter: Lee Harvey Oswald in the Far East pg 168, by Swike, Jack R. (2008)

Copyright 2008 Jack Swike All rights reserved 168 Page 168 of 269 Navv Special Weapons Units Marine Corps Tactical Support Assembly Team (MARTSAT) Two was retrained at Sandia Base during the......

The Shadow Factory pg 340, by Bamford, James (2008)

BOON FIVE FUTURE architectures the facility is run jointly by Sandia and Oak Ridge national laboratories "We are faced with some problems for which petaflop supercomputers will not be fast enough

Operation Overflight pg 189, by Powers, Francis Gary with Gentry, Curt (1970)

Sandia AFB New Mexico where in 1953 U.S Air Force pilot Francis Gary Powers received top secret training in the handling and delivery of atomic weapons.

Control Tower Detachment 10.10 Trailer Area

More Books Results >>

Government Reports (6 page hits)

CIA "Family Jewels," June 25, 2007 Release pg 244

Found in: Post-Watergate Intelligence Investigations Documents

) Two electric microphones were furnished to State Department for test purposes. Joint funding of one contract with NSA (Sandia) Participation in DNA/DOD contract (Bureau of Standards) . .3 Other

also

http://www.slideshare.net/search/slideshow?searchfrom=header&q=Sandia

Edited by Robert Howard