The Education Forum

South Korean warship blown in half

SHIPS and aircraft searched choppy and frigid seas yesterday for survivors of one of South Korea's worst naval disasters, but hopes faded for 46 seamen missing after an unexplained explosion tore a warship in half.

The tragedy happened near the tense disputed Yellow Sea border with North Korea, scene of bloody naval clashes in 1999 and 2002.

Seoul officials said there was no sign so far that the North was to blame.

pcc-778-stern.jpg

Full story:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/warship-blown-...00327-r45k.html

I'm guessing that because it split in half and sank so rapidly that it was a pretty big explosion. Wayward mine, perhaps? Torpedo? Or were they carrying something that exploded (although initial reports say the blast was external)?

The intent to extend the paralell has been unrelenting.

Huge sections of South Koreans have had to be dealt with.

The escalations reaching higher and higher peaks are bound to cause such an event. For whatever reason. I think it worthwhile to always keep in mind Nixons aid scribblings after the Kent State massacre ''there is an opportunity in everything''.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Reports are still sketchy, but it is looking more and more likely that it was either a mine or an internal explosion. I can't find diagrammes of the ship's layout, so don't know if the depth charge storage / torpedo storage areas were about amidships.

• 4 weeks later...

Evan, in what you have come across do you see any reason to see this as a pretext to stay in Korea? Do you think it has any similarities to, for example, the reneging of the paris settlement over the MIA(Viet Nam) issue.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.smh.com.au/world/kims-allout-wa...00520-vhkq.html

The South Koreans are blaming the North, but I am still not convinced. If the purported torpedo hit roughly amidships on the South Korean patrol vessel, and that happened to be where explosives / mines were stored, then I think it might be possible that a torpedo was responsible. At this time, though, I have my doubts.

• 2 months later...

The intent to extend the paralell has been unrelenting.

Huge sections of South Koreans have had to be dealt with.

The escalations reaching higher and higher peaks are bound to cause such an event. For whatever reason. I think it worthwhile to always keep in mind Nixons aid scribblings after the Kent State massacre ''there is an opportunity in everything''.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Evan, in what you have come across do you see any reason to see this as a pretext to stay in Korea? Do you think it has any similarities to, for example, the reneging of the paris settlement over the MIA(Viet Nam) issue.

Hi John,

It could be the ROK government trying to keep US forces in South Korea. The US wants to pull them out (or at least reduce the numbers significantly) but the ROK government want them to stay.

The area where the incident occurred is deep enough for the subs to operate in, and they are equipped with torpedoes that do have a large warhead so it is possible... but I still am not convinced with respect to the damage. I'm on weak ground but I'm still not convinced.