The Education Forum

What do we want and when do we want it?

With the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination fast approaching I think it's worth taking stock of what exactly we, as a research community, are doing and what we're trying to achieve. We could call ourselves concerned citizens, well wishing skepticists, history enthusiasts, or a host of other titles, but we probably couldn't call ourselves organised. That is not to say that we haven't accomplished a lot since the assassination both in terms of published work and influencing public opinion with research, but lately we haven't had a goal or a plan of action. I feel that we must realise that time is running out for us to get an kind of closure in this case. Easy for me to say, but what exactly is closure in a case like this? To be honest, I don't know. We seem to have a hell of a lot of evidence but we can't ellicit any reaction from the deep political powers of the state.

Perhaps we need to set ourselves a target for 2013. As I see it, we have a few options that could, in part, or on their own provide some kind of conclusion but not conviction for this crime and all subsequent actions committed in the name of the 'cover-up'.

These options include

-Pushing for full implementation of the JFK records act

-Pushing, as Bill Kelly has suggested, for a grand jury to be convened

-A new 'rosetta stone' book to blow everything out of the air (It could be contended that we've already had one or two of these books)

-We've already had a few second hand stories of CIA confessions (Morales, Hunt, Phillips), maybe we're waiting for another one. This isn't really an option as it includes no activity.

-Using the 50th anniversary to whip up a public debate on the assassination and to try to convince the majority of people that the evidence of conspiracy is overwhelming, thus winning the battle for minds. This would raise another question, is this closure?

These are some of the options that I can see. I'm interested to hear others' opinions on what our course of action should be in the coming years. Are we trying to solve this in a legal sense or prove to average citizens that the official story is definitively debunked?

What next?

Edited by John Geraghty

Some of the suggestions given on the COPA facebook page

Perhaps a law suit? I was thinking that a defamation or liable case, in the Tom Hanks situation. Although I'm nit very clear on American Laws. It would be great to see Tom Hanks or HBO to have to prove that there was no conspiracy beyond any reasonable doubt.

Following something like that, if we could cause a big fuss, perhaps there would or could be an exhumation.

Kicking up a fuss to have the rest of the files released...

And a counter doco, just incase HBO can get their series made....

Convene grand juries by citizens petition in the cities with legal standing, Dallas, New Orleans, and Washington DC. Using the existing files and evidence, and any new evidence obtained by deposing witnesses and subpoenaing documents, argue before the grand juries for indictments and other judicial findings and determinations. Submit any resulting charges to the appropriate district attorneys for prosecution.

The resolution to work for is a legal verdict of conspiracy submitted by a U.S. court in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Such a verdict will forever trump propaganda to the contrary, and free historians to work without fear of ridicule and worse.

Achieve a new trial for Sirhan Sirhan, the wrongly convicted, alleged assassin of Robert F. Kennedy.

The Government has shown over and over that it is incompetent in terms of invesigating itself. With another Congressional investigation, I wouldn't expect any better results than all the others before. The goal should be working for the complete and unconditional release of all the existing files on JFK/X/MLK/RFK. After 40-50 years have passed in ...

A complete database of all resources collected in one place. A clean, easy to access website and possible books displaying every document scanned. All picture, audio, and video reference in one place. Everything, everything, everything. In a short time would be the only place to go to for the truth. This would be the natural extension after the ...

Wow, I cannot believe someone FINALLY put it in CLEAR and EXACT LANGUAGE. Easy to understand and a place to start! Thank you Matt Payne. COPA Data Base...when will you have this up and running Sir? We need it before Cheney has Obama executed by the CIA and his 'Shadow Government' which isn't hiding anymore. They are out in the OPEM saying, F**k you...

Anything here we should talk about?

I'm keen to start some sort of action. Its a bit hard to know where to start....

I have got 180ish people constantly sending info to HBO and Hanks.

Let me know what I can do. Its a bit hard from New Zealand tho....

I have a few questions regarding the law.

If the was a defamation suit who could bring it? Would it have to be a member of Lee's family?

Could there be an injunction to stop the HBO mini-series?

Is it a law to use the word 'allegedly' if someone was not found guilty in a court of law?

Edited by Frankie Fortune

With the 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination fast approaching I think it's worth taking stock of what exactly we, as a research community, are doing and what we're trying to achieve. We could call ourselves concerned citizens, well wishing skepticists, history enthusiasts, or a host of other titles, but we probably couldn't call ourselves organised. That is not to say that we haven't accomplished a lot since the assassination both in terms of published work and influencing public opinion with research, but lately we haven't had a goal or a plan of action. I feel that we must realise that time is running out for us to get an kind of closure in this case. Easy for me to say, but what exactly is closure in a case like this? To be honest, I don't know. We seem to have a hell of a lot of evidence but we can't ellicit any reaction from the deep political powers of the state.

Perhaps we need to set ourselves a target for 2013. As I see it, we have a few options that could, in part, or on their own provide some kind of conclusion but not conviction for this crime and all subsequent actions committed in the name of the 'cover-up'.

These options include

-A new 'rosetta stone' book to blow everything out of the air (It could be contended that we've already had one or two of these books)

-We've already had a few second hand stories of CIA confessions (Morales, Hunt, Phillips), maybe we're waiting for another one. This isn't really an option as it includes no activity.

-Using the 50th anniversary to whip up a public debate on the assassination and to try to convince the majority of people that the evidence of conspiracy is overwhelming, thus winning the battle for minds. This would raise another question, is this closure?

These are some of the options that I can see. I'm interested to hear others' opinions on what our course of action should be in the coming years. Are we trying to solve this in a legal sense or prove to average citizens that the official story is definitively debunked?

What next?

Ex-humation?

''As I see it, we have a few options that could, in part, or on their own provide some kind of conclusion but not conviction for this crime and all subsequent actions committed in the name of the 'cover-up'.''

Why?

These options include

What next?

John, you ask some very difficult questions. The only closure in President Kennedy's murder will come

with the passage of time and the deaths of those old enough to remember living through it.

If the United States had ten thousand, no make that ten million young people with the spirit, dedication, determination,

and ability of John Geraghty there might be a slim chance to reach at the very least some sort of historical consensus.

Almost a decade ago Rex Bradford delivered an essay entitled Lasting Questions about the Murder of President Kennedy. Bradford wrote:

In the end, the question "who killed JFK?" is not the most important question anyway. How our society has failed itself miserably by never even attempting to find the real killers, and how it has failed to come to grips with the obvious reality of a powerful conspiracy and subsequent coverup—these are the real issues which matter nearly forty years (soon to be fifty, m.h.) later are still with us. It may be that one day the New York Times will print "There was a conspiracy in the murder of John Kennedy, probably undertaken by powerful political enemies, and the government undertook a large-scale coverup to avoid finding the truth of the matter." But that day is not yet even close. And that is a tragedy, a failure, which remains.

Years later that tragedy remains, and so does the failure..

I think the final opportunity to prevent what Rex Bradford described ended on March 30, 1977 when Richard Sprague was

forced to resign as Chief Counsel of the HSCA. Or maybe it was June 20, 1977, when G. Robert Blakey was appointed.

It would take a national sense of outrage, unimaginable at this point in time, to provide the impetus

for the media, let alone the United States government, to finally acknowledge even a semblance of the truth.

November 22, 2013 will undoubtedly bring new books, new research, and maybe even startling new revelations.

But it will be too little, too late. The Kennedy assassination will transition from the realm of relatively recent history

into a mythology that began and a murder that occurred in another lifetime, long ago.

And John, sadly to say, I don't believe there is a we or an us in the fight anymore. The researchers that remain are

too few and too fragmented.