The Education Forum

THE TUNNELS UNDER DALLAS

LBJ and his WPA project covered the Dealey Plaza sewers. SW BELL WESTERN UNION ------ Sewers of Dealey Plaza 1947 FROG;

Excerpts from “History of the Dallas Floodway” by John N. Furlong, P.E., Greg Ajemian, P.E., and Ms. Tommie McPherson, P.E.

Excerpts from “Small Army Man's Vast Underground of Dallas” (1947) by Ben Bradford.

“Dallas has a vast underground. It’s a little known world, made up of tunnels, basements, sub-basements, manhole vaults and sewers that catacomb the city. And, it’s manned by a small army of men and women who make all or most of their living beneath the earth’s surface. Few laymen know the enormity of the city’s underground. Dallas’ storm sewer system—with some lines as much as sixteen feet in diameter—would permit a man familiar with the system to travel beneath the surface to nearly any point in the downtown section and to many suburban areas. Most of the downtown streets and sidewalks are mere shells over these underground installations.”

“The Dallas Power & Light Company (TESCO), Southwestern Bell Telephone Company and Western Union went underground with their installations in the last half of the 1920’s in an effort to clear downtown streets of telephone and power poles and a criss-crosses network of power lines. Now, there are 2,530 underground manhole vaults beneath the city’s streets and sidewalks. These vaults range from small 4x5 cubby-holes, to spaces as large as a big living room. The three companies keep a total of approximately eighty-five workers underground each day on maintenance work.”

“Two large tunnels pass under Main and Akard Streets connecting the Hotel Adolphus and the Kirby and Magnolia Buildings. A steam locomotive operates under Young and Wood streets, with its northern terminal directly under the second section of the Santa Fe Building on Jackson.”

“The McKenzie Construction Company of San Antonio is tunneling a 4,200-foot underground storm sewer…P.C. Sorenson Company of Dallas is at work on three large sewer tunnels, totaling around 1,000 feet…At present, the Sorenson company is midway through with its tunnel under West Commerce between the Triple Underpass and Industrial…thirty-five feet beneath West Commerce.”

http://www.trinityrivercorridor.com/pdf/DallasFloodwayHistoryPaper.pdf

http://www.trinityrivercorridor.com/pdf/DallasFloodwayHistory2.pdf

Edited by Bernice Moore

LBJ and his WPA project covered the Dealey Plaza sewers. SW BELL WESTERN UNION ------ Sewers of Dealey Plaza 1947 FROG;

Excerpts from "History of the Dallas Floodway" by John N. Furlong, P.E., Greg Ajemian, P.E., and Ms. Tommie McPherson, P.E.

Excerpts from "Small Army Man's Vast Underground of Dallas" (1947) by Ben Bradford.

"Dallas has a vast underground. It's a little known world, made up of tunnels, basements, sub-basements, manhole vaults and sewers that catacomb the city. And, it's manned by a small army of men and women who make all or most of their living beneath the earth's surface. Few laymen know the enormity of the city's underground. Dallas' storm sewer system—with some lines as much as sixteen feet in diameter—would permit a man familiar with the system to travel beneath the surface to nearly any point in the downtown section and to many suburban areas. Most of the downtown streets and sidewalks are mere shells over these underground installations."

"The Dallas Power & Light Company (TESCO), Southwestern Bell Telephone Company and Western Union went underground with their installations in the last half of the 1920's in an effort to clear downtown streets of telephone and power poles and a criss-crosses network of power lines. Now, there are 2,530 underground manhole vaults beneath the city's streets and sidewalks. These vaults range from small 4x5 cubby-holes, to spaces as large as a big living room. The three companies keep a total of approximately eighty-five workers underground each day on maintenance work."

"Two large tunnels pass under Main and Akard Streets connecting the Hotel Adolphus and the Kirby and Magnolia Buildings. A steam locomotive operates under Young and Wood streets, with its northern terminal directly under the second section of the Santa Fe Building on Jackson."

"The McKenzie Construction Company of San Antonio is tunneling a 4,200-foot underground storm sewer…P.C. Sorenson Company of Dallas is at work on three large sewer tunnels, totaling around 1,000 feet…At present, the Sorenson company is midway through with its tunnel under West Commerce between the Triple Underpass and Industrial…thirty-five feet beneath West Commerce."

http://www.trinityri...istoryPaper.pdf

http://www.trinityri...wayHistory2.pdf

There was a Dallas history book, the name escapes me, in which it was stated, or implied, that the, I believe it was, the Blue Front Restaurant, [which is mentioned in the Warren Commission supporting documents] was under downtown Dallas in 1963, I did some digging , and found no factual confirmation, of this and personally, do not believe the Blue Front was underground until the 1970's. It later went out of business.

On a separate note, during World War II, there were trains that ran into Dallas with Army munitions, and there is a website that seemed to contain, [my memory is sketchy] some images

which showed train tracks underground in the East portion of downtown Dallas, from not so long ago.

I was a little frustrated, when I was digging into this, because I was never able to determine if there was an underground Dallas in 1963, and if so, if it connected to the sewer system, which has been mentioned specifically by Thomas Edward Beckham and others.......

I apologize for not being able to provide the book and the link, but feel that Bernice, at least, would give me the benefit of the doubt, and that it was better than not responding to her post at all.

Edited by Robert Howard

This probably doesn't sound all that weird, I'm not surprised that the extent of the tunnel systems many dating back tto when DP was a place full of important builxings and it was often standard procedure for whatever reason to have interconnecting tunnels. The idea that there are naviegable tunnels from various buildings throughout downtown isn't far fetched. imo . Those photos of the TSBD bulding basement were interesting.

This probably doesn't sound all that weird, I'm not surprised that the extent of the tunnel systems many dating back tto when DP was a place full of important builxings and it was often standard procedure for whatever reason to have interconnecting tunnels. The idea that there are naviegable tunnels from various buildings throughout downtown isn't far fetched. imo . Those photos of the TSBD bulding basement were interesting.

The book I was referencing re The Blue Front was

The Unauthorized History of Dallas Texas: The Scenic Route Through 150 Years in “Big D” - Rose-Mary Rumbley - Eakin Press - 1991

Pertinent passage

For two years the restaurant The Blue Front, operated at Field and Commerce under Jack Ruby’s Carousel Club, now [at the time the book was publshed it was 1991] at 1310 Elm Street, the Blue Front is underground. see page 108

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spe/2002/hiddenhistory/1901-1925/070002dnhhtunnels.44332667.html

NOTE: You will not appreciate this unless you go to the cluster of links in the article that includes the SLIDESHOW....

See also online Then & Now Slideshow, one-third through page above.

This all got started a day or so ago, when I read in a book cited in attachment that a Dallas cafe called the Blue Front was underneath Jack Ruby's Carousel Club, it also appears that an organized crime figure [associated with Joe Campisi] named Frank LaCoke was married to Kathrine Schliepake, which is the same last name as the owners of the Blue Front.....

Final Thoughts: This is not a Page 1 type of post or info, but more of a FYI.....

Speculation or old age; Years ago I read or heard that a German ie Nazi spy was arrested in circa 1942 at the same Blue Front, but after extensive searching yesterday I was unable to corroborate this......There was someone who was arrested in Dallas in December 1941 suspected of being a German spy ironically I believe he was loitering around the railroad tracks..near Dealey Plaza

http://dallas.fbi.gov/history2.htm

thank you robert for the name of the book and information, john also thanks for your input, you may both be quite interested in this link showing the tunnels etc, there was an older thread on these on the forum,

i do believe re jack brazil and penn jones, and the work they did in this area for jim garrison, many thanks i do have a couple of maps showing some but they are not coming up, i hope these maps will suffice,they are probably the same or very similar ...b

http://dallastunnels.taitlifto.net/index.html

Edited by Bernice Moore

• 2 years later...

There is much information now within a google of Dallas tunnels, as well as under the photo link...

fyi..b

http://www.youplusda...tunnels-system/

Dallas on the Future of the Downtown Tunnels System - Downtown/Victory - You + Dallas

photos..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfwcre8tive/sets/72157622055346282/

Dallas Pedestrian Network - a set on Flickr

Edited by Bernice Moore

THANKS BERNICE!!

If I recall, didn't some guy named Jack brazil actually go into the tunnel system under Dealey Plaza at at he 30th anniversary and emerge out at some river?

If I recall, some Tv show did a segment on this back then.

wasn't he ( Jack Brazil ) the nutbar that suggested ol' Catholic Jack was shot from the drain?

"NO REALLY IT LINES UP!! LOOK AT THE LINE I DREW RIGHT HERE!"

sarcasm aside, the tunnels are important though. I've always thought it would be the best escape for knoll shooter/s,

it would be nice if the pictures in the thread worked.

what kinda name is "Jack Brazil" anyway? was he in adult films before becoming a nutter?

Edited by Blair Dobson

what kinda name is "Jack Brazil" anyway? was he in adult films before becoming a nutter?

Yes. But his parts always got cut short.

new thread idea

"JACK BRAZIL ALTERATION THREAD: WAS IT JUST THE PANTS OR DID THEY GET MORE!!"

the whole drain shooter thing is nuts...

"ok, you go in the drain ok? in the sewage.."

"why?"

"we can squeeze off a shot from there!"

pause...

"there are six floors of prime real estate here, including the TSBD...and you want me in a sewer?"

"yeah..it's the only way..."

"ok.."

zzzzzzzz

Jim here is the information on Jack Brazil, that is available, what this information on the Dallas Tunnels does, is prove that Jack Brazil and Penn Jones as well as Jim Garrison who sent men into the area to check the North side overpass drain, were correct ..as well as the north drain being accessible for such, possible....and those that for years have insulted their efforts within their research are and have been proven very wrong in their assumptions.....there is also information on the adventures of Penn within his books and i believe i may have some i will have a look, thanks for your interest.

see below a garrison man 1967...at the north side drain examining it..as well as Penn and Groden, and one of Jack's men coming out of the huge sewer opening that day...and yes, a tv crew was at Dealey that day and filmed the men, and it was shown on local tv that evening, but it has never surfaced, i tried well .we did a few years back to find Jack but to no avail..for now....thanks...b

Jack Brazil.doc

post-632-0-74482100-1365259849_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-11972000-1365260335_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-18353500-1365260942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bernice Moore

JIM ...there were three studies I believe on the possibility of a sewer shot, one coming from the Elm street location, re Tom Wilson based on the trajectory of one of the head wounds to the President...another one from our own Greg Burham on the trajectory I believe, and as always the undefeatable, Penn Jones, whom along with a friend, made many trips through the sewer system of Dallas, one came out behind the DPD, that must have been interesting, he made the adventures many times.The Penn ,Brazil studies, also included this North end of the knoll location ...as well as the Elm Street sewer...These were serious studies by serious men...Tom Wilson's studies and information have been lost to us since his death, his files have not been found, but one copy we know was given, in complete form to the HSCA, but if they still have such it is locked away..his testimony is also in that Committee's info on the web......but he is on TMWKK..The Smoking Guns, or the Guilty men, the later I believe...not sure, right now...but his information is gone into in great detail on the film and is fascinating and available now in his book......A DEEPER, DARKER TRUTH

Tom Wilson's Journey into the

Assassination of John F. Kennedy

by

Donald T. Phillips....................

http://educationforu...showtopic=14895

I might add here that the photos pertaining to any of the sewer, drain studies were originally provided by Penn Jones, Rich and Greg...thanks.....b

post-632-0-10720200-1365266057_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bernice Moore

Jim; here is a link to a study done on the Political Forum on the drains..., it begins on this page but a page or two previous also shows some of the captured photos from Doug Weldon's video...fyi...https://deeppolitics...ht=sewer drains.........her is page 9 including the saved thread from rich's forum..fyi..

.https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/showthread.php?6193-Saint-Fletcher-the-Obscure/page9

...b

Tom and Doug's videos...## 6 AND 7...

http://www.maryferre..._Killed_Kennedy

also Greg Burnham'd video is included as well ......part 9...

the gentleman in the sewer drain, with the white shirt on filming, i believe is anthony marsh..or brad bradford ??? does anyone know for sure...the photo showing the arrow as the trajectory from the limo to the south side of the overpass was sherry's ... the first frame, i believe was from Doug Weldon's video...showing the clear view to the limo as it came down Elm street..from the overpass......the man viewing through the fence above the north drain, is one of Jack Brazill's men...in 92.....thanks b

post-632-0-92977600-1365269332_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-91151900-1365269367_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-43066200-1365269400_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-37107000-1365269439_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-60721800-1365269468_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-60524000-1365269520_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-22738700-1365269545_thumb.jpg

post-632-0-78744500-1365269572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bernice Moore