The Education Forum

John Abt and Lee Harvey Oswald

Sure, Oswald was scared and wanted a lawyer. But my gut tells me that calling for Abt was an announcement or signal, a kind of broadcast.

I suspect that the simple motive for calling on Abt in particular comes from either training or planning, and Oswald's act may be contaminated by the ulterior motive of someone higher.

David,

I could buy that if any film or audio captured Oswald uttering Abt's name. Why would he need proxies like Nichols and the DPD to make this broadcast? Why, when he had the opportunity to make the broadcast himself, did he actually ask for anyone to come forward?

I doubt that any at DPD were smart enough to even think of Abt, let alone try and smear or use him in any way to strengthen the case. I think the "mastermind" behind this was Prof Chuck Webster, a law prof from SMU who just happened to be at DPD the entire day of the assassination - apparently arriving well before the assassination. Webster had run for congress in 1960 with the support of the heavily infiltrated local communist branch which included Bill Lowery, the FBI informant.... who had helped form the local GI forum with Joe Molina. I would suggest that Webster himself was working for the FBI, or even army intel. His actions that day include assuring Greg Olds and his delegation that Oswald's rights had been looked after... and possibly being a party to one or both of the faux arraignments.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg - reduced to its simplest, without speculation, I think that calling on Abt could have been LHO's way of signaling that he was still willing to play "Lefty Lee" and not give up any knowledge of the plotters, who were to be his death, but who may have seemed the only ones who could exonerate him. Playing the other card, he also reached out to John Hurt, whom he may have hoped could have confirmed he was a deep cover operative.

Perhaps the "Anyone" appeal that he made on camera was out of frustration at not being able to get any support. Or perhaps live TV was just too obvious a "broadcast" of the Abt strategy.

I think the man was playing a role right down the line, with moments of uncertainty. But also moments of complete blindness, such as the quick smile he obviously flashed Jack Ruby. He was so busy counting the steps to the vehicle, hoping each would not be the last, that he never looked back to see Ruby ducking through the newsmen to kill him. Blinded by camera lights? Possessed by the spirit of "Just keep going and hope"? Or just blind as to how friendless he was? I think that last description fits the forlorn hope of John Hurt as well as it does the Ruby nod-and-wink.

The Abt appeal (or rumor) is, certainly, beyond the scope of DPD's invention at that time - but could it have been Nichols' invention, or a phoned in suggestion to DPD? If not, then LHO was was going with the "Lefty Lee" impersonation until ordered otherwise.

I think the man was playing a role right down the line, with moments of ...complete blindness, such as the quick smile he obviously flashed Jack Ruby.

I have viewed videos of Lee Oswald's final moments and do not recall seeing anything remotely resembling a "quick smile" at Jack Ruby. Can you please point us to a source where this supposed smile can be seen?

His [Webster's] actions that day include assuring Greg Olds and his delegation that Oswald's rights had been looked after...

Greg: I confess Webster is news to me. What are your sources on this?

Ray,

punch "Chuck Webster", "Charles webster" and "Professor Webster" into the Mary Ferrell search engine (not altogether!) and you'll find all the sources.

Greg - reduced to its simplest, without speculation, I think that calling on Abt could have been LHO's way of signaling that he was still willing to play "Lefty Lee" and not give up any knowledge of the plotters, who were to be his death, but who may have seemed the only ones who could exonerate him. Playing the other card, he also reached out to John Hurt, whom he may have hoped could have confirmed he was a deep cover operative.

Perhaps the "Anyone" appeal that he made on camera was out of frustration at not being able to get any support. Or perhaps live TV was just too obvious a "broadcast" of the Abt strategy.

I think the man was playing a role right down the line, with moments of uncertainty. But also moments of complete blindness, such as the quick smile he obviously flashed Jack Ruby. He was so busy counting the steps to the vehicle, hoping each would not be the last, that he never looked back to see Ruby ducking through the newsmen to kill him. Blinded by camera lights? Possessed by the spirit of "Just keep going and hope"? Or just blind as to how friendless he was? I think that last description fits the forlorn hope of John Hurt as well as it does the Ruby nod-and-wink.

The Abt appeal (or rumor) is, certainly, beyond the scope of DPD's invention at that time - but could it have been Nichols' invention, or a phoned in suggestion to DPD? If not, then LHO was was going with the "Lefty Lee" impersonation until ordered otherwise.

David,

I understand the line you're taking, but with only the word of the DPD - who provably put words in Oswald's mouth in other instances - and the word of Nichols - head of a conservative lawyers guild who was close to Dallas Big Business, the DPD and the upper echelon of the GOP - I cannot go with you on this.

My gut instinct is that Webster was working for an intelligence agency when he ran for congress in 1960 supported by at least one proven infiltrator of the CPUSA. If I am right about that, then he has a counterintelligence motive in giving the DPD Abt's name. He would almost certainly be just about the only person in the building (apart from Oswald himself - and later Nicholls, when he arrived) who knew much of anything about Abt.

I think the man was playing a role right down the line, with moments of ...complete blindness, such as the quick smile he obviously flashed Jack Ruby.

I have viewed videos of Lee Oswald's final moments and do not recall seeing anything remotely resembling a "quick smile" at Jack Ruby. Can you please point us to a source where this supposed smile can be seen?

I will, later this weekend.

I will, later this weekend.

David: Am I correct in thinking that you have not found a source for the claim that oz smiled at Ruby?

Greg: thanks for the info.I will look up Webster when I get a chance.

I have been travelling & ignoring the computer, and today I found this email from GARY MACK. My view of Nichols remains unchanged. Nichols knew Oz wanted help from the ACLU (In the Smith Act cases Abt was usually retained by the ACLU). He also knew that Oz was locked up. Any decent lawyer, & indeed any decent human being, would have contacted the ACLU & made sure the ACLU was on the case. Nichols did not even pick up the telephone or move a muscle to help.

True, but that’s because Oswald didn’t want him to. Nichols testified, of course, but the transcript of his statements right after the interview is in the volumes somewhere. Here are my notes of KRLD-TV video tape #16:

Nichols says he came down to see if Oswald was represented by counsel or wanted one.

Oswald said his first preference is for New York lawyer John Abt.

Oswald next wanted an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) lawyer and, if that’s not possible, he might call the local bar association.

Oswald was not asking the Dallas Bar to do anything.

Nichols says he did not discuss details and that Oswald appeared “perfectly rational.”

Unidentified Asian appears in background.

Oswald said he talked to his family this afternoon and they would get in touch with Abt.

Oswald said he was an ACLU member.

Oswald appeared very calm and very rational.

Nichols says it is probably possible to get an impartial jury and trial in Dallas.

According to Henry Wade's oral history interview from the 6th floor museum, 1992,

Henry: Well, some of the time. I did once or twice mainly because Dallas was taking a beating from the national media and I think [it was] announced that it was H. L. Hunt and his crowd that did it, the right-wing, and if anything, Oswald was leaned to the left, political-wise. And I went down there in person… the time I was interviewed, I went in Homicide and talked to Oswald for about ten minutes. He wouldn't say anything other than, "I want a lawyer" and "police brutality." He had a scratch or a cut on his eye up here that apparently happened at the time of his arrest at that theatre. And I was receiving a lot of phone calls—Dean Pound from Harvard Law School, president of American Bar Association to get him a lawyer—but he named a lawyer in New York. I can't think of his name right now. But he said, "He's my lawyer." And I called him in New York. Later one of my assistants talked to him, and he said, "I'm not representing him. I'm not his lawyer." Then, I got the President of the Dallas Bar and the President of the Criminal Bar to agree to go see him and offer to represent him or find a lawyer and told him that lawyer was not going to represent… I'm not sure what they told him, but both of them went up there. But it was probably either late that night or early Saturday morning before they got to talk to him, and he said he didn't want to talk to them. He kept mentioning the lawyer in New York City that had represented the Civil Liberties Union and some people left in the spectrum.

Of course this is from Mr Wade, who has been found to be very corupt.

http://jfk.org/go/collections/item-detail?fedoraid=1992.009.0008

Edited by Frankie Fortune

Ray Carroll: David: Am I correct in thinking that you have not found a source for the claim that oz smiled at Ruby?

Notice Oz's head turn (followed by a film break, or a "film break") toward Ruby at about 00:41 in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awy3h5QK7WI

I'm searching for the above-angle film clip where the smile is most apparent. I am not the only person who has seen the smile and referred to it.

Edited by David Andrews

I am not the only person who has seen the smile and referred to it.

You and Gerald Posner, who claims he saw a "deadly smirk," if I recall correctly.

And Ruby.

Ruby to Dr Bromberg on his reaction at seeing Oswald before shooting him:

"It flashed through his mind that Oswald was 'smirking, cunning, a commie, a rat..."

Ruby to Dr Guttmacher:

"Suddenly Oswald appeared between two guards. He had a very smirky expression, he looked cunning and vicious - like an animal - like a Communist. I felt like I was looking at a rat."

"It flashed through his mind that Oswald was 'smirking, cunning, a commie, a rat..."

"Suddenly Oswald appeared between two guards. He had a very smirky expression,

Well we all know Posner is a plagiarist. Thank you Greg for pointing out another example.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll find it, Ray. I've seen the "smile" footage more than once.

"Smirking" is a lie by Ruby and an obfuscation built on it by Posner.

I ran across this today, and wondered if perhaps, there might be some sort of peripheral link to, a, what would you call it? An enemy of the ACLU?

Home/Archive/Documents/JFK Assassination Documents/JFK Documents - Federal Bureau of Investigation/FBI - HSCA Subject Files/FBI - HSCA Subject Files, A - B/FBI - HSCA Subject File: American Civil Liberties Union/

NARA Record Number: 124-90108-10027

MAVERICK TYMAN & GOODMAN

Maverick Building San Antonio, Texas

January 8, 1963

The Vogue

301 E. Houston

San Antonio, Texas

Gentlemen:

I am advised that you are going to give all your employees, (or, in the alternative

all your new employees) a lie detector test.

You may have the legal right to do this, but I have the moral obligation as Director of the American Civil

Liberties Union to protest against it.

The Supreme Court of Texas and the United States have discredited this type of evidence

and not one single court in Texas will admit it as evidence.

This lie detector business is dirty business.

It is worthy of a Nazi Germany, a Fascist Italy, a Stalinist Russia. You are being ruthlessly cruel to your own people

If you persist in this, I will make a public issue of it.

(Maury Maverick, Jr.)

Signature

Director, Central Texas

Division, American Civil Liberties Union

Copy To:

A.C.L.U. at New York

A.C.L.U. at Austin

employees of Vogue

I will be the first to admit, this is something of a reach; but I have never heard of any Vogue, other than the magazine. So I believe it is worthy of

exploration.