The Education Forum

Moon Myth Disinformation

Well?

You asked for people to refute your claim, and we have. You have been proven wrong on several counts (no other images, etc). Yet you don't try to defend your claim, show why you believe we are wrong nor withdraw your erroneous claim. That's why all your Apollo claims are nothing but a joke.

Still, that is the modus operandi that we have come to expect from you: make claims, ignore evidence.

Saepe stilum vertas

Well?

You asked for people to refute your claim, and we have. You have been proven wrong on several counts (no other images, etc). Yet you don't try to defend your claim, show why you believe we are wrong nor withdraw your erroneous claim. That's why all your Apollo claims are nothing but a joke.

Still, that is the modus operandi that we have come to expect from you: make claims, ignore evidence.

Saepe stilum vertas

Shine the bright light of truth and watch the cockroaches scurry...

I wasn't sure whether the USA actually went to the moon until I saw these photos, and now, as I can clearly see that the whole spaceship was put together with duck tape and aluminum foil, I am now certain that we went there, as American ingunity always prevails over all adversity.

BK

I wasn't sure whether the USA actually went to the moon until I saw these photos, and now, as I can clearly see that the whole spaceship was put together with duck tape and aluminum foil, I am now certain that we went there, as American ingunity always prevails over all adversity.

BK

It's actually quite interesting (at least to me) how and why they used those materials on the LM.

Interested in hearing about it?

BK

Do you also think your house is held up by the wallpaper and paint on the walls? Or is it maybe possible that the outer coating has little to do with the structural integrity?

BK

Do you also think your house is held up by the wallpaper and paint on the walls? Or is it maybe possible that the outer coating has little to do with the structural integrity?

I think Bill's post was made tongue-in-cheek.

BK

Ah, shucks, it's no fun if you have to stop and explain it Mike.

BK

But seriously Bill - you interested in hearing about some of the details? If you have no interest, then that's okay - but if you'd like to hear some of the details regarding how they built this beast I'm more than happy to give you the 50c tour!

But seriously Bill - you interested in hearing about some of the details? If you have no interest, then that's okay - but if you'd like to hear some of the details regarding how they built this beast I'm more than happy to give you the 50c tour!

I guess we're going to hear it if you really want to tell us.

Let me go first.

I know a guy who worked on Apollo 13, directing the simulation module during their training, and then called back to run the simulator during the crisis, when they needed to know what was going on and "failure is not an option."

It turned out that the simultor helped them figure out how to fix the thing and get them home.

Joe Sundra is his name. His father and brother pitched for the Yankees, and they ened up taking over their mother's tavern - the Rugby Inn in Northfield, New Jersey, where Weiner Von Bran visited for drinks and dinner after giving a speech at a nearby college.

Now in the photo of the lunar lander, it looks like the flag is pasted on with ducktape and the outer layer is aluminum foil.

Okay, let's have it.

BK

You guessed right; I find the whole history so fascinating and simply love to share it.

Apparently the SIMSUPs (Simulation Supervisor) were notorious for getting into every little detail of the systems and looking for ways to exploit them. In the words of one SIMSUP:

"In order to ensure they make a safe landing on the Moon, here we have to do everything in our power to try and kill them"

You mentioned Apollo 13? It was during SIMs that they developed the procedures for the LM "lifeboat" option.

Some might remember the 1201 / 1202 programme alarms during the Apollo 11 landing. The "We're go on that Flight!" call came because people in the back rooms of Mission Control (called the SPAN - Spacecraft Analysis room) remembered that a sim had been run with this very programme alarm and the controllers had called an abort. In the debrief, the SIMSUPs told them that they could have continued the landing as long as the alarms were not continuous.

It's very conceivable that if it were not for the SIMSUPs, Apollo 11 may have been an abort and the first man to step on the Moon would have been a gap-toothed sailor named Pete Conrad.

Let me go first.

I know a guy who worked on Apollo 13, directing the simulation module during their training, and then called back to run the simulator during the crisis, when they needed to know what was going on and "failure is not an option."

It turned out that the simultor helped them figure out how to fix the thing and get them home.

Joe Sundra is his name. His father and brother pitched for the Yankees, and they ened up taking over their mother's tavern - the Rugby Inn in Northfield, New Jersey, where Weiner Von Bran visited for drinks and dinner after giving a speech at a nearby college.

Now in the photo of the lunar lander, it looks like the flag is pasted on with ducktape and the outer layer is aluminum foil.

Okay, let's have it.

BK

Right, Bill....here is the photo with the tape!

Jack

post-667-015919000 1281916541_thumb.jpg

Let me go first.

Okay, let's have it.

BK

Jack

Oh poor Jack, wrong again.... This is simply beyond your very limited skillset.

Are those specular highlights and or diffuse highlights Jack?

In either case, Jack is also wrong about the available lighting on the moon. In addition to the sun, there are three other broad light sources available on the moon to add suplimental lighting. All three are large, and broad, and thats the type of light we see reflected by the tape. The reflections are large and broad, created by a broad lightsource and the half angle of the camera and the lightsource.

The first and largest is the lunar surface itself. Many of the lunar photos show illumunation from this powerful light source.

The second and third sources are the HIGHLY REFLECTIVE white space suits. Again another powerful and broard reflected lightsource.

So lets look at A17-134-20469 up close and personal.

First we need to understand that reflectiion are bound the rule, Angle of iniodence equals angle of reflection.

Here is the high rez verson of the image.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-134-20469HR.jpg

When you look closely at the reflections on the tape we see the gold foil of the lander reflected in the tape. We also see a broad light gray reflection, that is the lunar surface. Finally we see a much smaller and whiter reflection, that is the spacesuit.

We can check if this is possible by knowing the orientation of the Lander in relation to the sun.

To take the photo of the decals the photographer MUST be standing FACING the sun. We know this is true because the photo also shows lens flare, a defect caused by direct sunlight striking the lens.

Also given the orientation of the lander in relation to the sun the decals and the tape are also exposed to a vast area of brightly illuninated lunar surface. Any area of tape (remember the tape surfaces point in many different directions)that has the proper angle of incidence will reflect the bright lunar sirface.

There is nothing wrong with this photo other than the ignorance of Jack Whites study.

And if you doubt the power of reflected light, this photo was taken with nothing BUT reflected light. Notice the nice specular, semi-specular and diffuse highlights.

http://www.pbase.com/infocusinc/image/37595310

Jack

Are you going to admit you were wrong with your "No other photos of the flag decal show this black patch" claim? There have been what... 10, 15 other examples shown to you.

And your latest claim - or should I say the same old claims recycled again and again and again, ignoring that they have been proven wrong.

post-2326-037014800 1281944251_thumb.jpg

That one was addressed here, but yet again I'll repeat it:

Firstly, despite being told more than four years ago, Jack has mislabeled the image on the left. It is AS17-140-21370. Let's have a look at it. (Hi-resolution available here)

AS17-140-21370.jpg

(AS17-140-21370)

Notice how there are sun flares in the image, and the direction of the sun.

The other image ID is correct.

AS17-134-20469.jpg

(AS17-134-20469; hi-resolution available here)

In this image, again notice the sun flare, and the direction of the sun.

The "fill" lighting is has been explained before - it's the light reflected off the astronaut's EMU suit. The EMU is white, and is designed to reflect light (to aid in cooling). This has been demonstrated in numerous Apollo images and the effect demonstrated by people in this forum.

BK

Ah, shucks, it's no fun if you have to stop and explain it Mike.

BK

My bad. I've heard people make the same argument (only they meant it) too many times.