The Education Forum

Biography: Steve Knight

Steve Knight

I'm mid-30s, British, and well-travelled. Educated to college level.

I'm an IT Technician by trade, but have various, wide-ranging interests ranging from reading, computers, gaming (RPG and Computer games) to Astronomy and history (Mainly Roman-era and WW2).

At age 9, just after seeing (what were then) reruns of Star Trek:TOS on BBC, I developed a fascination with space and astronomy and have privately studied various aspects of the development and exploration of it.

Hey, welcome. Enjoy the forum. Personally I hope you'll answer some what to you is prob stupid q's like why does the coffeecup holder on my computer keep closing to some deeper stuff.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, TOS is probably my favourite of all the flavours of Trek. TNG was too annoying for the first four seasons or so. DS9 seemed to be a cheap copy of Babylon5, and I never really liked it, though it had its moments.

Voyager....well...let's just say I'm surprised it lasted 7 years. Some of it was really, really bad, and some of it was just badly rewritten copies of other Trek series' episodes.

And Enterprise...changed too much of the established "histories"....am I the only one who kept waiting for Bakula/Archer to utter "Oh boy"? :P

And John, that's not a coffeecup holder. ;)

And a B5 fan, too? How did you rate it compared to Trek? Personally i thought it was outstanding. You could see the shift in series 5, where JMS had to finish the story arcs early, and I thought it hurt the show. I became a fan of Crusade, too. A clunky start but it was just starting to find its feet when cancelled.

Edited by Evan Burton
Corrected spelling

And a B5 fan, too? How did you rate it compared to Trek? Personally i thought it was outstanding. You could see the shift in series 5, where MJS had to finish the story arcs early, and I thought it hurt the show. I became a fan of Crusade, too. A clunky start but it was just starting to find its feet when cancelled.

B5 was, and probably still is, the benchmark for a decent sci-fi show. Great writing, great story arcs, pretty good (for its time) Special Effects, and pretty good acting, too (At least once Boxleitner/Sheridan settled in). There was something for everyone in it - casual and hard-core fan.

Especially interesting, I found, was the use of a more realistic Newtonian Physics for the craft. Gotta love those StarFuries <3.

I didn't really think the last two seasons (of B5) were hurt by the uncertainty about Warner Bros. and the network, at that time, but Crusade was certainly a patchwork mess due to the tampering TNT tried. JMS, IIRC, walked out after half the episodes were completed, because of it. The discontinuity throughout certainly doesn't help (uniforms and Gideon/Lochley's relationship).

B5 hasn't been in TV for many a year, here. Good job there's DVDs. I can't remember Crusade ever being shown.